Lower Tier Threats

I am floored by the lack of Nidoking after 7 pages. Also, I like using Mew like a Ditto for the increased health and overall versatility to combat offensive, defensive, and Megas alike.

Nidoking @ Life Orb / Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 SpD / 252 SAtk
Timid/Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam / Thunderbolt / Surf
- Sludge Wave / Focus Blast / Shadow Ball

The slashes are there just to show how versatile this guy actually is; you can run almost any special attacking move you want to suit your team's needs. With that lovely Sheer Force ability and Life Orb, he is always at more than +1, so he can always hit like a truck. Or, if you need more speed, give him a Choice Scarf to put that base 85 speed to good use. I personally get the best of both worlds on my team with Life Orb and Tailwind support, but to each his own, you know.

Nidoking @ Life Orb / Choice Scarf / Choice Band
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
- Megahorn / Stone Edge / Sucker Punch
- ThunderPunch / Fire Punch / Ice Punch

With its newly buffed Attack stat and the elemental punches from 5th Gen, Nidoking can go physical to defeat its typical checks and counters and still function to a similar effect. Earthquake, Megahorn, and Sucker Punch suffer since they have no secondary effect, but his Attack stat and STAB on Earthquake make up for it.

Now for my Mew set:
Mew @ Choice Scarf / Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Transform
- Hypnosis
- Taunt
- Trick / Explosion

Self-explanatory set: Transform into an opposing Pokemon of your choice, preferably a Mega or a bulky attacker, after crippling with your choice of Taunt, Hypnosis, or Trick (if you carry it). If you don't find anything worth copying and you need a threat eliminated fast, Explosion can serve as a fail-safe to quickly destroy a threat.
Don't bring up 6th generation stuff in a 5th generation thread.

Don't bring up 6th generation stuff in a 5th generation thread.
There wasn't anything that explicitly suggested this was strictly 5th Gen. The presence of recent 6th Gen posts around this particular sub-forum also served to say something different. At least its not completely saturated with 6th Gen stuff.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
There wasn't anything that explicitly suggested this was strictly 5th Gen. The presence of recent 6th Gen posts around this particular sub-forum also served to say something different. At least its not completely saturated with 6th Gen stuff.
Considering this thread is dedicated to lower tier threats (hence the title), and that there are no official tiers in generation 6 (meaning there are no lower tier threats so to speak), and the fact that this thread was created way before generation 6 was released, I'd assume everyone would realise that this is a thread for the 5th generation only. Keep generation 6 Pokemon out of this thread.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I've updated the OP with the sets which I think warrant a spot in the OP. I'm sorry but Choice Scarf Transform Mew is not a threat, along with other suggestions that have recently been posted. This is probably going to be the last update for this thread since the main focus right now is generation 6, and I think we've covered basically every notable lower tier threat. I plan to make a very similar thread once generation 6 has released official tiers and the metagame has somewhat settled.

Thanks everyone for your contributions to this thread.

How about Clefable ? :P

Clefable @ Leftovers

Calm Nature
Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 SPD/ 4 DEF

Toxic
Protect
Wish
Aromatherapy

OR

Clefable Leftovers

Calm Nature
Magic Guard

Softboiled
Cosmic Power
Stored Power
Moonblast

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
How about Clefable ? :P

Clefable @ Leftovers

Calm Nature
Magic Guard

Toxic
Protect
Wish
Aromatherapy

OR

Clefable Leftovers

Calm Nature
Magic Guard

Softboiled
Cosmic Power
Stored Power
Moonblast
This thread is for Gen 5 ONLY.

Last edited:
Considering this thread is dedicated to lower tier threats (hence the title), and that there are no official tiers in generation 6 (meaning there are no lower tier threats so to speak), and the fact that this thread was created way before generation 6 was released, I'd assume everyone would realise that this is a thread for the 5th generation only. Keep generation 6 Pokemon out of this thread.
Sorry about that. However, to be fair, the analyses aren't overly saturated with Gen 6 content; only the text after the actual sets suggests things about 6th Gen. Would it help if I edited the text to remove the undesirable text?

fleurdyleurse

is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sorry about that. However, to be fair, the analyses aren't overly saturated with Gen 6 content; only the text after the actual sets suggests things about 6th Gen. Would it help if I edited the text to remove the undesirable text?
Yes imo. But since your Mew set was rejected you should remove that too.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Its a late entry but....

Mew @ Leftovers
Trait: Syncronize
EVs: 252 HP/ 148 Def / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Softboiled
- Will-O-Wisp
- Ice Beam

Its a set really similar to shootingstarmie's but instead of psyshock it has ice beam. Tbh, its been a while since I used it but it worked incredibly well in gen 5 and it might do well this gen too but probably not to the same effect since breloom and dragons are less common now. The 108 speed allows you to outspeed things like jolly breloom and adamant dnite and hit both with either taunt or ice beam. Ice beam lets me hit things like pivot lando and dnite who switch in expecting to set up or use t-turn (which doesnt even 2hko it). It can burn most threats with wilo wisp and heal off damage with softboiled. This set give sooo many teams headaches. The biggest problem with this set though is that it is walled by all fire types namely volc and heatran but the team I ran with it was prepared for things like that.

also...

Typhlosion @ Choice Specs
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Love this guy. (Favorite pokemon if you havent noticed) I used to use it in gen 5 just to see if it can handle ou and it did fairly well. I had it in a sun team with proper support with keeping hazards away and trapping other weather inducers to bring out typhlo's eruption's true potential. Even without the sun it does a ton but under the sun forget about it. Its able to 2hko a blissey under the sun. Focus blast is there just in case heatran tries coming in expecting an eruption. Fire blast was when typhlosion gets weakened enough that eruption is not worth it anymore altho if I use it now, I would probably use heat wave instead. Finally hp ice was to hit dragon switch ins like the latis and to hit dnite after rocks before they get a boost. It would also nail lando. It wouldnt kill them but the latis but its still nice to have. It doesnt have much to hit water types with but again the team was prepared for the likes of them.

Last edited:

fleurdyleurse

Mew @ Leftovers
Trait: Syncronize
EVs: 252 HP/ 148 Def / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Softboiled
- Will-O-Wisp
- Ice Beam

Its a set really similar to shootingstarmie's but instead of psyshock it has ice beam. Tbh, its been a while since I used it but it worked incredibly well in gen 5 and it might do well this gen too but probably not to the same effect since breloom and dragons are less common now. The 108 speed allows you to outspeed things like jolly breloom and adamant dnite and hit both with either taunt or ice beam. Ice beam lets me hit things like pivot lando and dnite who switch in expecting to set up or use t-turn (which doesnt even 2hko it). It can burn most threats with wilo wisp and heal off damage with softboiled. This set give sooo many teams headaches. The biggest problem with this set though is that it is walled by all fire types namely volc and heatran but the team I ran with it was prepared for things like that.

also...

Typhlosion @ Choice Specs
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Love this guy. (Favorite pokemon if you havent noticed) I used to use it in gen 5 just to see if it can handle ou and it did fairly well. I had it in a sun team with proper support with keeping hazards away and trapping other weather inducers to bring out typhlo's eruption's true potential. Even without the sun it does a ton but under the sun forget about it. Its able to 2hko a blissey under the sun. Focus blast is there just in case heatran tries coming in expecting an eruption. Fire blast was when typhlosion gets weakened enough that eruption is not worth it anymore altho if I use it now, I would probably use heat wave instead. Finally hp ice was to hit dragon switch ins like the latis and to hit dnite after rocks before they get a boost. It would also nail lando. It wouldnt kill them but the latis but its still nice to have. It doesnt have much to hit water types with but again the team was prepared for the likes of them.
Isn't Typhlosion outclassed by Heatran?

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
yep. and heatran would be forced to use scarf while typhlosion could do the same thing with specs too. Heatran outclasses it by typing but it does not outclass it for eruption usage.

fleurdyleurse

yep. and heatran would be forced to use scarf while typhlosion could do the same thing with specs too. Heatran outclasses it by typing but it does not outclass it for eruption usage.
I beg to differ, you obviously have not seen ben gay's TR team.
But yah, it's not totally outclassed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)