SS OU Looking for team help - Grass Spam Quad Choice Item HO

Hello everyone! This is my second RMT and I really wanted to use HO, so I decided to build my own and want to know what to improve.

THE TEAM:
:sm/ninetales-alola: :sm/garchomp: :sm/tapu-lele: :sm/rillaboom: :sm/kartana: :sm/blacephalon:

SETS:
:sm/ninetales-alola:
Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Hail
- Encore

Ninetales is the veil setter of the team. It is the best aurora veil setter so it is the obvious choice here to help the team pivot around or help garchomp set up. Freeze-Dry is very handy, Hail can set your weather back up against rain/sun/sand and encore is just fun and annoying to get a free veil and a swap into a breaker. Timid is used to outspeed as much as possible to set veil quickly.

:sm/garchomp:
Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Scale Shot
- Stealth Rock

Garchomp is a horrifying breaker, with aurora veil support garchomp can almost always click SD atleast once then proceed to rip teams apart after a speed boost from scale shot. Very few things can oppose a +2 chomp. Garchomp is also great utility with the electric immunity being a hazard setter vs bulkier teams helps out too. Garchomp stops mons like Zapdos and koko freely clicking electric moves and going insane.

:sm/tapu-lele:
Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Moonblast

Tapu Lele is arguably the best special attacking breaker in the tier, with it's extremely potent stab combo paired with coverage for steel types, nothing is safe from a choice specs boosted Tapu Lele. Psychic Surge prevents pesky sucker punches and weakens things like rillaboom, giving us a soft check to the big monkey and then getting a free move off. I really like Lele and it has easily won me many games.

:sm/rillaboom:
Rillaboom @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
Jolly Nature
- Grassy Glide
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Wood Hammer

I already had two great breakers that went hand in hand, so now I needed to patch some holes in the team. Rillaboom serves as a soft check for rain and forces out extremely passive mons such as Corviknight that can be taken advantage of by getting u-turned on and having to switch next turn which is just what a HO team wants as this racks up hazard damage and just chip in general from when their special wall has to swap into a blacephalon flamethrower. I felt like rillaboom was a great addition. (Should I make this an SD set?)

:sm/kartana:
Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike

I wanted a late game cleaner as I already had 3 breakers that could be chipped or too slow to clean up late game, enter kartana. Kartana is a great late game cleaner that with scarf outspeeds literally everything in the tier that isn't a 110+ Speed scarfer. Rillaboom's Grassy Surge can make Kartana a scary breaker with boosted Leaf Blades. Kartana has lots of coverage that hits lots of the metagame for super effective. Kartana can also get a sweep going by picking off a low HP Mon and getting attack boost after attack boost. Kartana is a great mon that benefits this team.

:sm/blacephalon:
Blacephalon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- Overheat
- Trick

Now I had 3 physical attackers and only 1 special so I wanted to balance it out a bit more. Blacephalon is very hard to switch into with tyranitar being the only thing in the tier that resists both STABs. Blacephalon can cripple walls with trick or blow stuff up with flamethrowers and shadow balls. Blacephalon shadow ball is very spammable with a low amount of ghost resists it is hard to not lose a Mon to this menace. Overheat is an extra option when more breaking power is needed.

And that's the team! Please let me know how to improve this as HO is a very fun playstyle for me and I want to have the best success chance possible. Thanks again and see you next time!

Last edited:
A successful HO with screens usually runs more set up mons than choice items as screens allows you to easily set up against even checks and sweep. Usually choice items are used for immediate power. I suggest you change some mons to setup, for example: Rillaboom into SD Life Orb. Yes, some mons you have are powerful breakers but on an HO team, you don't want too much choice items as you can't really switch since you don't have a defensive backbone. For example, you kill a Slowbro with Leaf Blade on Kartana, and they go into their Scarf Blacephalon to revenge your Kartana, they basically win at that point.

So, here are the changes I suggest:
SD Life Orb Rillaboom > Band
Quiver Dance Volc OR Bulkarona > Blacephalon
CM Tapu Lele > Specs
Belly Drum Kommo-o OR Hawlucha > Kartana

Since Kartana and Rillaboom have the same targets, removing one is better since its an HO team. Rillaboom is a fantastic sweeper under screens, so I suggest removing Kartana and adding Lucha or Kommo-o. Either of them gets a speed boost (salac berry and unburden) and are fantastic late game cleaners. The good thing about Kommo-o is that it acts as a Shadow Ball switch-in as well. Volcarona is there cause its just fantastic on HO.

A successful HO with screens usually runs more set up mons than choice items as screens allows you to easily set up against even checks and sweep. Usually choice items are used for immediate power. I suggest you change some mons to setup, for example: Rillaboom into SD Life Orb. Yes, some mons you have are powerful breakers but on an HO team, you don't want too much choice items as you can't really switch since you don't have a defensive backbone. For example, you kill a Slowbro with Leaf Blade on Kartana, and they go into their Scarf Blacephalon to revenge your Kartana, they basically win at that point.

So, here are the changes I suggest:
SD Life Orb Rillaboom > Band
Quiver Dance Volc OR Bulkarona > Blacephalon
CM Tapu Lele > Specs
Belly Drum Kommo-o OR Hawlucha > Kartana

Since Kartana and Rillaboom have the same targets, removing one is better since its an HO team. Rillaboom is a fantastic sweeper under screens, so I suggest removing Kartana and adding Lucha or Kommo-o. Either of them gets a speed boost (salac berry and unburden) and are fantastic late game cleaners. The good thing about Kommo-o is that it acts as a Shadow Ball switch-in as well. Volcarona is there cause its just fantastic on HO.
Thanks for the advice, just one quick question, what set do I run for cm Lele?

Thanks for the advice, just one quick question, what set do I run for cm Lele?
That your choice! You can run CM with Substitute, or 3 attacks. Personally I would go for Life Orb or Leftovers with 3 attacks and CM, but make sure to test both and see which is better.

Tapu Lele @ Leftovers
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 8 Def / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt/Focus Blast

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)