SM OU Looking For Improvement on my first real attempt at a gen 7 ou team.

So as said with the title, this is the first team i have tried to design with just the idea of viability in mind. i have been playing randoms for a while but never really dove into premade teams since im not great with IV's and with team composition overall. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated and will definitely be tried.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Merciless
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Baneful Bunker
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald

Toxapex is what I was hoping to use as the starter for this team in order to quickly put out some toxic spikes and set the stage for the battle. I pretty much only intend to use him for toxic spikes and then get him out of there until either scald is of use or the spikes are removed and i need to put them back in. For its nature and IV spread, I went for full-out survivability through maximum HP and defense so it can at least tank an earthquake before going down, with black sludge, recover, and baneful bunker to give it its best chance at regenerating lost health.

Charizard-Mega-Y (M) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Solar Beam
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Roost

Aside from the fact that charizard is by far my favorite pokemon of all time, I put him on the team to be used as the special sweeper, Mega Y as to allow the use of drought and solar beam to take out any water type threats, along with fire blast to deal damage to oponents. Roost is only really there in the case of stealth rocks (which honestly might be a lost cause in my opinion) and his IV spread is just made with the idea of a fast special sweeper in mind.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Gliscor is in my eyes only really good for stalling and for countering electric types. I modeled his build to complement this. Toxic to poison any flying enemies (best excuse i could make to counter the idea that he's not redundant with toxxapex already on this team). Roost to obviously regenerate health, earthquake for electric countering and u-turn to switch out once his usefulness has run its course.

Magearna @ Focus Sash
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam
- Flash Cannon
- Heal Bell

Magearna is in here as a counter to fairy, as well as the heal-bell user and a bulky special-attacker. I dont have too much to say regarding why magearna is in here other than the steel-fairy type is too good to pass up as far as fairy hybrids go, and I felt I needed a heal bell on at least one of the team members. Along with that, i've found calm-mind builds to be fairy effective against teams in randoms, albeit usually because the opponent is not knowledgeable enough to counter it. Overall, mainly a dragon and fairy counter, defensive enough to resist flamethrower and remove the team's status conditions.

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 136 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 116 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Pulse
- Flash Cannon
- Roost

Kyurem was added at this point out of what i thought to be almost necessity for an ice-beam user. Using a gliscor myself, i felt the need to have ice-beam on at least one of my pokemon and lamented the idea of having another water type on my team considering toxapex is already here. Kyurem landed here mostly on account of its typing, since Ice is a awful type on its own as far as resistances go, and dragon renders kyruem neutral to fire attacks. Aside from that, I don't have much better of a reason to have kyruem here other than its typing and the moves i felt needed to be there.

Tyranitar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Crunch

Tyranitar inserted in as a hard counter to psychic, ghost, fire and flying types. A focus sash is equipped to tank and unexpected focus blast and sandstorm and stealth rock are useful in my opinion to copple on top of the other mechanisms i have in place for whittling down enemy health. I'm not a big fan of rock types personally but I thought that tyranitar with the aggressive IV spread and adament nature would be valuable for high damage output using stealth rock and a good ccounter for types not already accounted for by this team.

So that's my team. Looking back on it, i can already think of some things that might be problematic or could use improvement. I feel as is not having any mons with know-off is worrisome, and also some pokemon on the team may have redundant moves or be a bit redundant altogether. Once again any and all comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated as this is my first team and I intend to learn and get better at teambuilding.

Thanks!

Hello! I'm just gonna get right into it.
Firstly, you need to ALWAYS run Regenerator on Toxapex, it really assists his longevity, and pex is an extremely good bulky mon to use.
Also, I would recommend running haze instead of baneful bunker/tspikes to stop setup sweepers from breaking your team.
Your Charizard set seems fine, but I would maybe consider swapping air slash for focus blast, but air slash can work as well.
Your Gliscor set seems ok, but definitely replace uturn with defog. No means of hazard control when you have a charizard on your team is a no-go. The other members of your team don't exactly take them well either.
Next is Magearna. This set is kind of unusual, as its kind of a mix between offence and utility which just doesn't work. Additionally, since you don't have any kind of special wall, I would recommend running the classic AV Magearna set, which I have left below. This set is a great special wall, and also gives some resistance to the widely feared AshGren.
Kyurem-B seems unusual as well. What do the ev's on it let you live? Anyway, I would recommend running an offensive Z-move set, which I have also left below.
Finally there is Tyranitar. Instead of sash, run leftovers.
That's about it.
Here are the sets:
Magearna @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Iron Head
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Roost

Hello! I'm just gonna get right into it.
Firstly, you need to ALWAYS run Regenerator on Toxapex, it really assists his longevity, and pex is an extremely good bulky mon to use.
Also, I would recommend running haze instead of baneful bunker/tspikes to stop setup sweepers from breaking your team.
Your Charizard set seems fine, but I would maybe consider swapping air slash for focus blast, but air slash can work as well.
Your Gliscor set seems ok, but definitely replace uturn with defog. No means of hazard control when you have a charizard on your team is a no-go. The other members of your team don't exactly take them well either.
Next is Magearna. This set is kind of unusual, as its kind of a mix between offence and utility which just doesn't work. Additionally, since you don't have any kind of special wall, I would recommend running the classic AV Magearna set, which I have left below. This set is a great special wall, and also gives some resistance to the widely feared AshGren.
Kyurem-B seems unusual as well. What do the ev's on it let you live? Anyway, I would recommend running an offensive Z-move set, which I have also left below.
Finally there is Tyranitar. Instead of sash, run leftovers.
That's about it.
Here are the sets:
Magearna @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Iron Head
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Roost
Thanks a ton for your input! I have made the changes you suggested and so far have found a lot of success with them in my first few matches. Thanks a lot for taking the time to improve my team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)