SS UU Looking for feedback for UU team

Hi, this is my first forum post here so if the format has issues please let me know. I made a team a while back for gen 8 UU, and after returning and playing some games I reached 1300 and found that a big problem with stopping salamence coming in and DD after a kill or bad matchup. So I swapped out guts conkeldurr for choice band mamoswine and now I'm at 1400 with this team. I'll have to play more games to judge but I might be struggling to climb further. I am looking for feedback this so I'll just briefly describe the roles of each pokemon and hopefully thats enough to see which things I mentioned are unnecessary, etc.

Here is the pokepaste of team: https://pokepast.es/7f666e83641ea603

Metagross @ Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Stealth Rock

This is weird but I chose choice band + stealth rock so metagross may set up at appropriate matchups, but at the same time it can revenge-kill weakened mons using bullet punch. I chose meteor mash to deal good damage even on resists upon switches (e.g. Incineroar), and zen headbutt to deal with amoonguss (which only has hydreigon otherwise). An issue with doing this is if I set up rocks on good matchup, I am forced to then switch out which could be a problem if opponent decides to switch in. This is most of the time not an issue, I think.

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Defog
- Trick

IMO rotom is just good against ground types (especially common ground leads that stay in) or rain teams, though it loses 1v1 against sash/max hp mold breaker excadrill (or if hydro pump miss). It's also good against pokemon that I find annoying like sub leech seed celesteela, so sometimes I can just trick a choice scarf or something like that. Again defog is weird on a choice scarf mon maybe, but I found it useful when I don't like rocks and rotom is useless, or when I can afford to defog.

Mamoswine @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Freeze-Dry

The biggest reason I have him is to stop DD salamence, but so far I seen use in ice shard finishing off ~60% thundurus and possibly also as late game finisher. freeze-dry is used to deal with weakened bulky water like swampert/gastrodon, though I didn't see many instances to use it yet. It can also threaten out units and hit whatever switch in with banded icicle crash to make it more possible to finish them off with banded bullet punch/ice shard/hydreigon later.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon

I found this unit to be the best wallbreaker in my team because its like latios in previous generations. Theres many times when I found that I could just draco meteor to deal huge damage to opponents after rocks, and there's also the fun of predicting opponents with 4 useful attacks. It also functions really well as a late game cleaner, especially if I still got some sacrifices around.

Slowking @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Scald
- Future Sight
- Slack Off
- Teleport

This standard slowbro is pretty good, I replaced max defense milotic with it just recently. Max defense makes it act like a budget slowbro on physical side though its special stats is definitely great. future sight + hydreigon draco meteor combo is apparently a good (and one of my only ways) to deal with zarude, apart from tangrowth sludge bomb. Otherwise I just find future sight to be a great move and regenerator to be op. Another thing is I have to run colbur berry to deal with how common knock off is, though even that is far from enough.

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Sludge Bomb
- Earthquake

Tangrowth main use is to deal with physical breakers, stuff like zarude, aegislash. But thanks to assault vest it also checks some special wallbreakers. Its synergy with slowking with regenerator I found is very useful in certain situations where opponent can't do much, e.g. trying to stall out chansey while healing up. Also I feel like they don't really care that much about being toxic'd

I think the main idea of this team is to get rocks up if possible asap, switch in to good matchups with metagross/mamoswine, then deal good damage with them to finally look for conditions to finish stuff off with hydreigon/priority moves. Rotom is more there to help break annoying teams apart with trick, but can also act as a late game finisher. The core of slowking + tangrowth also helps alot defensively for longevity. The biggest weakness I see currently is the huge weakness to dark types and knock off, since 2 of my pokemon is weak to dark and there is no moves that hit them supereffective. Even though hydreigon resist it, seems like I can't switch in to stuff like conkeldurr at all.

Yea, so I wonder what suggestions people have for improving this team, thanks for reading!

Hey and welcome to the forums! Good looking bones of a team but there is definitely some adjustments you can make to get you higher on ladder.

:Metagross:
Others might not agree, but I actually like this set here. I just adjusted EVs to be faster than Adamant Azumarill, which can otherwise do a TON of damage to your team. This lets you attack before Azumarill and not die to a +6 Aqua Jet.

:Mamoswine:
Your current team is very Choice heavy, so we are going to remove a couple of them to make your team more flexible while maintaining damage output. Mamoswine with Never-melt Ice can help you bluff a Choice item while giving you the element of surprise when they bring in something that gets KOd by another attack. I also changed the Ability to Oblivious which means Mamoswine is no longer susceptible to Intimidate which helps maintain damage output as well.

:Hydreigon:
With Rotom being Scarf already and you mentioning Hydreigon is a good breaker for you I thought we could lean into that more. Swapping Choice Scarf to Safety Goggles and Flash Cannon to Nasty Plot will help Hydreigon break a lot of the defensive walls in UU (except Chansey of course). Safety Goggles helps in setting up against Amoonguss or Tangrowth to avoid being out to Sleep.

:Slowking:
At first glance this change will look odd, but it’ll make sense with the suggestions for the last team slot. I think changing the EVs to Special Defense instead of Defense will balance the team better and accentuate the stats of your Pokémon better

Lastly we have the Tangrowth; there are two options here that will help keep the strength of the core you have but bolster it against Dark types and Knock Off.

Option 1:
:Assault Vest: -> :Rocky Helmet:
With this change I’d adjust the EVs to Defense instead of Special Defense. With Rocky Helmet you can chip physical attackers and it’s a relatively free item to let the opponent Knock Off (which in turn makes Tangrowth an even better Knock Off switch in for the remainder of the game). This also allows you to run some utility moves like Sleep Powder, Leech Seed or something else. In this case we will go with Sleep Powder to provide easier switches to your Metagross, Mamoswine and Hydreigon.

Option 2:
:Tangrowth: -> :Amoonguss:
Again we will be using a defensive EV spread here. Amoonguss much like Tangrowth can switch in to Knock Off with ease because of Regenerator. Here you can still run Rocky Helmet for chip but now you have STAB Sludge Bomb and 100% accurate Spore. If opposing set up sweepers are a problem you can also use Clear Smog to phaze. Amoonguss has a ton of flexibility in its movesets with great coverage, utility and recovery. If you want to be cheeky you can run Assault Vest with Spore and your utility with the plan of intentionally letting the opponent Knock Off the Assault Vest.

To keep the integrity of composition you posted I went with the first option for the Tangrowth slot, but feel free to test out Amoonguss too. Hopefully with these edits you can break higher on the ladder. Let me know how it goes! (Revised team below; click icons)

:Metagross::Rotom Wash::Mamoswine::Hydreigon::Slowking::Tangrowth:

Dead by Daylight

are we the last living souls
is a Contributor to Smogon
Hey, and welcome to the forums!

Style is a good player and I'm just a high-1200 ELO Monotype main that hasn't played in any tournaments, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

:metagross:

Choice Band ----> Life Orb

While Band gives you a good amount of damage output, you already have Mamoswine as a competent Choice user. You can also (kinda sorta) bluff a Scarf or Band. If you like your set, though, then keep using it.

:hydreigon:

Choice Scarf ----> SubNP

You don't need more than 1 or 2 scarfers, and a SubNP set is the main one on Hydreigon. It amplifies its wallbreaking potential as well.

To echo a point:

:tangrowth: ------> :amoonguss:

Both Tangrowth and Amoonguss are good Regenerator users. However, Amoonguss, in addition to Regenerator and its good defenses, has Sludge Bomb to fish for poison chances and a 100% accurate sleep move in Spore. In addition, it can actually hit opponents that try to set up decently hard with Foul Play.

(sorry I can't put a pokepaste in)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)