Looking Back: Reflecting on the BW UU Metagame over time

Idea stolen from skylight's NU thread, and I believe we're the last major metagame to have this thread, so I figured why not.

So now that X/Y are just around the corner (only a little more than a month until we get a whole new generation and things get shaken up). The generation 5 metagame is coming to a close, and we're looking into the future to see what X/Y brings us. But before that, i kinda want to backtrack for a second and look at the UU tier as a whole. UU has definitely gone through quite a few changes, and has had its highs and lows with suspect testing and tier changing and stuff, some people have been here from the very start, some people have only started with the tier a matter of months ago, and there are a whole bunch of people in between. Some people might have preferred some metagames to others, or might looks back fondly at the early stages of BW1 UU. So, i have a few questions for all of you, not all of them need to be answered, so if you don't have an opinion on something feel free to leave it out.

1) what metagames do you think were the best/most exciting/most balanced, why?
2) what metagames weren't exciting/good for you, and why?
3) what are some of the general highlights through the metagames you played
4) what are some of the metagame trends you've seen reflecting on your experience with UU?
5) what do you think was the single most dangerous Pokemon to ever be UU? why?
6) what was the toughest UU battle you've ever had, why was it so fun/challenging? do you have any logs/replays?
7) what got you into UU in the first place, why did you decide to choose to play the tier, why did you continue?
8) which Pokemon were you disappointed to see brought up to OU or BL?
9) which Pokemon did you view to be the most exciting drop from OU?
10) out of all the metagames you've ever played, what was your favorite? Why was it your favorite?

As for the final question, i might run a poll right before the start of Pokemon X/Y to see what everyone's favorite metagame was, feel free to discuss your reasoning on why a specific metagame was your favorite with the other users in this thread!

happy posting :)

Last edited:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'll answer as I'm an avid UUer, so I'll be hoppin in!

1. The recent metagames are imo at the most enjoyable. Although not as balanced as RU (no meta is as balanced as RU, period), I do like UU. Victini is debatably broken atm, but I like how there's still the fact that lower tier mons have potential to do well in UU, such as Druddigon, Scolipede, and Slowking. I also like the fact that I can run certain playstyles to good effect. I just like the meta apparently

2. I'd say the sand meta was probably the worst metagame. Sand was a pretty broken force in UU; Stoutland and Gligar were horrendously overpowering and playing against sand was not fun; the residual damage was sucky; but the things in the sand really made it bad. It might be better if Sand gets freed without Stoutland, but eh; the late BW1 was pretty bad.

3. What did I like? Well, I like that I can effectively use lower tier threats pretty well; and I can successfully use lesser used Pokemon like Druddigon and Scolipede to good effect. As of BW2 the fact that UU is almost weatherless is something I like (Hail isn't extraordinary), since OU's weather is pretty obnoxious to me. I also like that I use really fun cores like Magneton+Druddigon which is something I love and have been using since I heard of it.

4. Spikes have been pretty prominent; with Deoxys-D and Roserade and then Froslass, Qwilfish, and Roserade. Entry hazards have been a common sight in UU; even though Froslass is gone now; there's other spikers like Qwilfish, Roserade, and Scolipede that make Spikes a common part of UU. Fighting-types are also a common force in UU; Heracross, Mienshao, and many lesser ones like Scrafty and Virizion see the limelight in UU; Electric and Fire-types too are really common.

5. Probably either Chansey or Deoxys-D imo. Chansey was the most annoying wall ever, and was imo the reason strong things like Yanmega and Porygon-Z got tossed into RU; no special attacker could break Chansey, and even some physical hits struggle to kill it. Chansey also provided ridiculous support to the team in T-Wave, Wish, and Heal Bell so that also made it ridiculous. Really the only special attacker that could get past Chansey was SubNP Mismagius; and she needed HP Fighting to do that. Deoxys-D defined offense, and it was ridiculously easy to set up hazards and give you early game momentum. That may be just me though.

6. I don't really know tbh.

7. Well as I said in the RU thread, when I started competitive battling, I only played OU and nothing else. I eventually got persuaded to give lower tiers a shot; so I went ahead and did so. UU got me hooked up; I just really like the tier. For the reasons stated before I like playing UU, and it along with RU is one of the tiers that I'm competent at. UU also has a lot of my favorites like Bisharp, Krookodile, Azelf, Mienshao, Scrafty, etc.

8. I don't know about this one, but it may probably be Donphan, since Donphan was the best spinner; it was a great Pokemon and now we're stuck with mediocre spinners; Blastoise and Kabutops are the only half decent ones.

9. I think I was probably Mienshao that excited me most. I like using it; because it does so well in this meta, and it's something that I like, so yeah.

10. Probably the more recent ones, for the reasons I stated in #1.

TPO3

Never practice; Always perform.
I'd also agree with Scrafty that the current metagames are the best, IMO. I think the field is starting to diversify a bit more from what it used to be, and it's really enjoyable to see the variety of teams out there.

As for the least enjoyable meta, the meta where Drought was legal was pretty bad. Even if it was short, the choke-hold that the adorable Vulpix held on this meta was pretty ridiculous. I didn't mind the sand meta as much, despite Stoutland being everywhere, but that might just be because I love Cradily. :)

The single most dangerous pokemon to be UU? Hmm... Chansey, Deoxys-D, and Gothitelle all were in their own ways. Deoxys-D was pretty terrible due to the sheer amound of ridiculous ease it had in setting up hazards; it was even worse than Froslass. Deo-D Was so terrible that it got booted out of OU even. The way it made Offense easier to play was just incredible. Chansey was pretty terrible as well due to the fact that it could literally be thrown onto any team, even pretty offensive ones. It was incredible how Wishpassing Chansey could just be used as a total crutch, even to bad players who play-mistaked and let something get injured in the first few turns of the game. It also singlehandedly made Stall playable, even before the banning of Froslass. Gothitelle didn't see much usage, but its trapping ability was incredible. The few people that used Gothitelle right (ie: Gothitelle + Darmanitan) had instant success on the ladder. If I absolutely had to pick one I'd pick Chansey due to the fact that it could literally be tossed on any team to make it instantly better, but the 3 are so unique that it's pretty hard to choose one over the other two.

For question 6, that depends on whether you mean from the transition from DPP-BW, or if you mean over the process of BW. Donphan is my first answer since the offensive presence it could have had would make spinning a lot easier, but I was also sad to see Tornadus go back up to OU for the short time that it did. It's back now, but it was OU for a while, and I was sad to see it go.

For question 9: What drops lol? Maybe if we got something cool, like Metagross. But instead we got stuff like Virizion and Meloetta that just plummeted right through to the bottom of the tier as far as usage was concerned. (Not bad pokes, but you get what I mean.) I think Scrafty was the most exciting for me since I initially expected it to fair really poorly in this tier, but it's held its own quite well. Mew dropping was pretty exciting cool, just due to the sheer amount of versatility it has.

Cool thread!
1. I've been around for a few months now and love the shape of the metagame as it currently is. It is very balanced and you have many viable options and aren't forced to use X pokemon every single time. If I want a good wall I can choose Swampert, Rhyperior, Bronzong, etc..
2. Since I wasn't around too long, Froslass was a bit annoying, but it did it's job while beating spinners/magic bounce users thanks it's useful movepool.
3. My favorite highlights of the current meta are that there are so many different useful pokes to use. The battles don't get stale and they vary from team to team.
4. Spikes are pretty dominant. I used to run a rapid spinner/magic bounce user, but realized it's just easier to pummel the opposing team rather than let them try to set up.
5. Chandelure is pretty threatening imo. While some people say Snorlax/P2 are hard counters, I think that's half-true. They're great counters to the scarf set, barring they aren't tricked a scarf/specs. The subsplit set, and when ultimately Shadow Tag will push Chandelure completely out of UU.
6. My most fun battles were running a QuiverPass Team featuring Venomoth, Empoleon and Nidoking as my sweepers. It did OK, but was pretty fun to use seeing as it was easy to sweep teams.
7. I hate Drizzle, it's as simple as that. I grew sick of OU and having to prepare for the same threats every..single...battle. If I had to see another Politoed/Ferrothorn/Keldeo/Landorus-I/Dragonite/Tentacruel team, I'd throw up. I was already experimenting RNG UU pokes to try in the OU meta and figured hey! why don't I try UU? I've been fairly active on the UU site and even just participated in my first tourney!
8. I wish that I could've been here for the Staraptor meta. Seeing as I am more experienced now, I can see just why it would be so useful. It checks many pokes and can wall break very easily. It had great abilities in Intimidate and Reckless. A very close 2nd would be Alakazam. I was playing OU when Alakazam rose and fell in love with the Focus Sash set as the perfect revenge killer.
9. Mienshao, hands down. I loved Shao from early BW. Virizion has been a favorite of mine, and is making a comeback on my team. I find it is able to break down almost every wall in UU with a single SD Boost. Leaf Blade obliterates Swampert, Rhyperior and Slowbro. Close Combat hits Steels and Snorlax/P2. Stone Edge rounds about the coverage to hit flying types like Zapdos.
10. I would have to say the current meta.

Iminyourcloset

OBJECTION! What do you mean I have a weakness now?!
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pokemazter said:
4) what are some of the metagame trends you've seen reflecting on your experience with UU?
6) what was the toughest UU battle you've ever had, why was it so fun/challenging? do you have any logs/replays?
7) what got you into UU in the first place, why did you decide to choose to play the tier, why did you continue?
10) out of all the metagames you've ever played, what was your favorite? Why was it your favorite?
So this thread looks interesting so I want to reply :3

1+2) I haven't faced too many different metagames in UU, but I started around when Chansey had just dropped, and it was kinda sucky. (but then again, I sucked too so meh) So, idk what metagames were the best/worst for me; I didn't like Chansey, and I like how UU is pretty much weatherless. /shrug

3) Favorite thing about the metagame would have to be that you can develop a lot of new cores and new sets that aren't utterly demolished. In OU, you can only do that to some extent without expecting it to be utterly outclassed or useless. In UU, you can expect it to have a niche and be a team player, since the metagame is nicely balanced to allow nearly all playstyles to be viable.

4) One trend I've always been guilty of is having an abundance of bulk, with just enough offense. Bulky Offense, with extreme emphasis on "Bulky". While UU houses all kinds of pokemon good for Pure Offense, I've always been one to think that having a good backbone for a UU team is the most important thing to do. Same thing with many of the pokemon- See Porygon2, Suicune, Mew, Zapdos, and more pokemon that can take damage and dish it out.
As for other trends, I would say Spikes everywhere. Froslass, Roserade, Qwilfish, Crustle, etcetc are all used pretty much purely for their spiking abilities (Roserade actually has good offensive sets, so it's an exception) and fast hazard setters (Azelf, Cobalion, spikers, even Aerodactyl) and fast taunters (Sableye, Crobat, Tornadus) come to mind too.

5) Singlemost dangerous pokemon to ever be in UU? four-way tie between Victini, Kingdra, Raikou, and Zapdos. It's hard to say which is the most dangerous- they're kinda all dangerous in their own way. Victini has raw power, enough bulk, and can just obliterate everything. Same with Kingdra, albeit generally only under rain. Raikou has its signature SubCM set and is just strong in general. Zapdos has just the great typing, great stats, but what makes it dangerous would be versatility, being a great attacker or a great defender. If I had to pick one, probably Victini, since with two viable sets, none of its counters can be sure they're safe.

6) IDK :/ this isn't necessarily a hard battle but a pretty intense one right here: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-48148105 . It was against some random guy in the UU channel on PS!.

7) I am originally an OU player from 4th gen (PL ftw). After experiencing fifth gen OU on PS!, I realized it was no longer for me. (Weather everywhere + insane power surge from gen 4)

8) I guess Donphan. I always say that I wish it was down in UU, since A) it's severely low in usage in OU afaik B) it's a good bulky ground type plus it's another rapid spinner. and C) it just looks badass imo.

9) I would have to say Mew. Being from fourth gen, I've always known Mew as an OP Uber. When I heard it dropped, I was scared it was going to rule the metagame. But soon after, I learned that fifth gen power boom got to Ubers too.

10)Um... the Current one I suppose? UU is pretty damn balanced right now, even with Victini and even with Froslass it wasn't so bad. (although the latter being banned and the former to soon be tested, UU could see a slight shift in the evenness of the scales)

So yeah I think that's it- UU da best B)

Last edited:
I've been playing for maybe half a year so I didn't get to see major shifts. What's currently happening is more or less what I know.

1) RU right now is really fun. I avoided it for a while because Hail stall was really annoying. I didn't think it was imbalanced or anything, I just found it annoying to play against so I just didn't play. Right now RU is really fun. I'm not familiar enough with RU atm to comment on balance, but the thing I like about it is that the spinners actually do something. Kabutops is frightening, and Cryogonal is... well it's OK. Not super impressed, but it does feel more useful than the UU spinners. But the REAL reason I like RU is that Feraligatr is in it.

2) I've played OU, UU and RU and I like all 3.

4) Spike stacking:
4. Spikes have been pretty prominent; with Deoxys-D and Roserade and then Froslass, Qwilfish, and Roserade. Entry hazards have been a common sight in UU; even though Froslass is gone now; there's other spikers like Qwilfish, Roserade, and Scolipede that make Spikes a common part of UU. Fighting-types are also a common force in UU; Heracross, Mienshao, and many lesser ones like Scrafty and Virizion see the limelight in UU; Electric and Fire-types too are really common.
The quality of the spikers is one factor, but I believe there's another hugely important factor and that is the ghost vs spinner matchups. Having a Cofag on my team basically means that those spikes are staying on the field for the entire duration of the match. I think using Chandy as a spinner is interesting. You have the choice of blocking a spin, but risk insta dying to Scald/Stone Edge. In that case, you're blocking a spin, you're not preventing a spin for the entire duration of the match. When people think meta-defining, Cofagrigus is probably not at the top of their list, but I think it's presence does make spike stacking a lot easier in the tier.

7) I started in OU. I didn't mind weather gameplaywise, but I just didn't like it from a role-playing standpoint. Weather is cool in ubers; it feels like an epic clash between the most powerful beings in existence. From a role-playing standpoint, OU was supposed to be more earthly. I imagined these were the sorts of battles that happened at the Indigo league. But the fact that plain ol' Ninetales, Hippowdon and Politoed were capable of changing weather in the same way Kyogre and Groudon can just didn't jive with my mind (Tyranitar gets a pass because it's so freakin badass that I CAN imagine it changing the weather). Why is it that these earthly beings are capable of doing the same thing as these awesome legends? So I started exploring the lower tiers. So yes... I started UU not because I was looking for a fun/balanced tier, it was for role-playing reasons

1) I like the metagame right now as with Victini out of the way on the suspect ladder, we no longer have to worry about stacking walls to deal with a bunch of different threats that Victini can support

2) The Chansey era. I didn't like it because unlike gen 4 where Chansey wasn't as beastly, in fifth gen it became a massive pain in the butt with eviolite.

3) Fire types and Fighting types were very common. Especially Victini, Chandelure, Darmanitan, Heracross, and Mienshao. Also Spikes stacking+stall was very annoying.

4) Unlike ou, uu has way more flexibility in the sense that you can afford to try different cores/play styles.

5) Victini because even a bulky water like Blastoise coudn't take a banded V-Create from Victini, and Victini could also run a special set to surprise everybody.

6) Hmm well I don't really know about that one..... xD

7) Well uu has always been a balanced tier that I can fall back on when I'm getting crapped on by ou weather teams...

8) Well I haven't really been disappointed with any of the bans. :D

9) That's an interesting question. I think Scrafty was really exciting along with Mienshao

10) I like the suspect ladder right now because I feel like it's the most balanced ladder with Victini out of the way, because we can finally test different things out without having to fear how unpredictable Victini is. I've mentioned Victini a lot in this post lol. xD

Looking forward to gen 6 as a whole and not just uu, I want it to focus more on balancing out things over boosting everybodies power. I also want there to be more versatile Pokemon that you can experiment with. :]]]]]]

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Idea stolen from skylight's NU thread, and I believe we're the last major metagame to have this thread, so I figured why not.

So now that X/Y are just around the corner (only a little more than a month until we get a whole new generation and things get shaken up). The generation 5 metagame is coming to a close, and we're looking into the future to see what X/Y brings us. But before that, i kinda want to backtrack for a second and look at the UU tier as a whole. UU has definitely gone through quite a few changes, and has had its highs and lows with suspect testing and tier changing and stuff, some people have been here from the very start, some people have only started with the tier a matter of months ago, and there are a whole bunch of people in between. Some people might have preferred some metagames to others, or might looks back fondly at the early stages of BW1 UU. So, i have a few questions for all of you, not all of them need to be answered, so if you don't have an opinion on something feel free to leave it out.

As for the final question, i might run a poll right before the start of Pokemon X/Y to see what everyone's favorite metagame was, feel free to discuss your reasoning on why a specific metagame was your favorite with the other users in this thread!

happy posting :)
so this will be interesting as I have a much more limited experience of UU than most of you guys (read: i'm a total newb)

1) the only metagame I really have much experience with is the current one, so I guess it'd have to be that.
2) erm
3) honestly I think the biggest asset that UU has is that it really is completely viable to make any type of team. I've seen successful trick room teams, I've seen successful sun teams, hail teams, rain teams, stall, semi-stall, balanced, ho, etc. It's not like other tiers, where a certain playstyle is definitively better.
4) In the last couple months I think there's been a lot of light shed on lower-tier threats, which is great. Things like TR Ursaring and Golurk wouldn't have even been considered as options in teambuilding a while ago, but due to adventurous players and the RMT section, they've gotten their share of fame.
5) I would have to say that Victini is probably the most dangerous Pokemon in UU in my personal experience ( I came in right after the Chansey/weather era). (that doesn't mean i think it should be banned though ;))
6) Probably one of the countless battles where it's Suicune v Walrein or Snorlax v Walrein and I end up winning a struggle war.
7) I decided to try UU one day after coming back to battling, and I've been hooked ever since. I really got into the tier once I met all the awesome people that this tier is fortunate enough to have, and when I discovered that I actually wasn't too bad at it it was just a perfect fit.
8) Although I wasn't personally around to play it, I'm disappointed that sand got banned to OU. I think that having UU as a secondary weather tier is pretty cool, and because weather is not the majority in the tier I think it would be cool to introduce another playstyle into the current meta before 6th gen.
9) I'd have to say Mienshao for sure - it's just a great poke overall and I'm glad it's found a very appreciative home in UU.
10) see #1

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
1) What metagames do you think were the best/most exciting/most balanced, why?

Objectively, I would say that late BW1 UU after the Sand Stream ban was best. No more cheating Gligar or fun-stopping Stoutland to ruin your day, you had an entire three tiers' worth of viable choices at your disposal, and almost any Pokemon, or any player could compete. UU has always been that way to a point, but when your best Pokemon aren't even considered dominant, you know you're looking at a tier anyone can dive into.

2) What metagames weren't exciting/good for you, and why?

The Hail meta just before Sand Stream was banned was probably the worst. Snow Cloak was so broken, it was hilarious. There was this feeling of helplessness you had watching Froslass get up three layers without even trying, and it really discouraged you from playing UU at all. Does anyone remember Sub Mamoswine? The Evasion Clause badly needed an update.

3) What are some of the general highlights through the metagames you played?

This might be just me, but I've always felt that special sweepers were much stronger in UU than physical sweepers because of how lacking the tier's special walls were. Our best is Snorlax, who has no reliable recovery. Before he came about, you could play pretty brainlessly with the likes of Raikou and Venomoth and win so many games. Also, weather played a much bigger part in UU than any newbie would expect, and there were even some periods where the tier didn't look that much better than the weather-dominated OU.

4) What are some of the metagame trends you've seen reflecting on your experience with UU?

Prior to BW2, I've seen just about everything UU has to offer. I was there when the UU ladder first went up and everyone was using Sun, then Sand, then Hail, and even the brief period of time where Rain was popular (and swept by Sand). I was even on IRC when people were theorymonning some of the sets we know as standard, like Reach's P2. Even at its worst, UU was a fun tier to play and brimming with innovation.

5) What do you think was the single most dangerous Pokemon to ever be UU? Why?

Staraptor; it had no counters whatsoever, and it could easily take out half of your entire team before it died to recoil damage. The only Pokemon who ever came close was Stoutland, who was much more easily countered, and made up for that with a two-year legacy of relevance.

6) What was the toughest UU battle you've ever had, why was it so fun/challenging? Do you have any logs/replays?

The old site for replays is down, which is a shame because I actually do have a couple of tournament matches backed up to show you. Off the top of my head, there's this one match I had with Somalia from SPL which really highlighted how broken Deoxys-D was. We basically set up a minefield of hazards each and had a bunch of offensive Pokemon on the other end to try and sweep each other. I won with a bit of hax. It was pretty funny.

7) What got you into UU in the first place, why did you decide to choose to play the tier, why did you continue?

UU has a history of being a more accessible, less centralized tier than OU, and it's just about the same story for BW/BW2. Basically, I'd start out each new metagame testing out what I think is good. When it works, I grind for a high position on ladder, making small alterations here and there. Unfiltered cursing at RNG aside, UU is easy to get into and play if you have even the slightest idea of what you are doing, and when you're done getting your ass handed to you in OU, there's a small, comfy community of dedicated lower-tier players waiting to test your mettle as well, with every surprise in the book.

8) Which Pokemon were you disappointed to see brought up to OU or BL?

Donphan. =(

9) Which Pokemon did you view to be the most exciting drop from OU?

None of them, to tell you the truth. There were some obviously strong ones, such as Chandelure and Darmanitan, that ended up shaping the tier in their image, but the only one that really surprised me was Hippowdon. Not only was it a great physical wall, as expected, but the usage it got alongside the dog was just ridiculous, and created what was perhaps the only metagame where Sand was not only good, but straight up dominant. Everything else did either exactly what I thought it would do, or had little to no impact on UU as a whole.

10) Out of all the metagames you've ever played, what was your favorite? Why was it your favorite?

I hold a certain fondness for the first UU meta. It seemed like everyone was playing it back then, and there were pages of people who wanted to qualify for voting reqs. It isn't as popular now, but it's definitely come a long way in terms of competitive merit. If the UU tournament scene were a bit stronger, I think it'd retain some of that vigor it had when all of the broken Pokemon were running loose.

Last edited:

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.

I think I noticed the majority of people posting they play UU because OU weather is bad and no fun for them. Me too I didn't really enjoy weather too much and I liked gen4 UU so I think going to gen5 UU was kind of natural. I continued because I like to experiment in all the little shades of Pokemon and I always wanted to make the best teams. Thats partly why I like stall because in a stall game you have ca see lots more aspects of the game with more tactics and status moves (as opposed to mindlessly using attacking moves that always seemed unrefined to me). Rather than the battle being the game for me I like to think the game is trying to find a perfect combination of 6 Pokemon that can defend against any combination of a few hundred Pokemon adequately which is not really possible but so fun anyways. This lets me consider all of my games "testing games" or "testing teams" as people have grown so fond of calling them and also almost always lets me be satisfied at the end of the game win or loss, luck or not because it lets me constantly tweak teams and move forward. Omg I just love UU so much this isn't healthy I don't think I will ever stop playing...

I feel that the more recent you get in the uu metagame the more balance it gets and the better.The promenence of lower tier threats being usuable and viable makes uu a very exiting tier at the moment and it never really feel stale
ANY META WITH CHANSEY !!!!

the descussions of many different cores gligar umbreon being one of my favorite.Everyone freaking out over ditto when it turned out that it wasn't very good at all . Everyone wondering if chandelures abilty would ever be released :)

i think that uu shows really well how balanced a meta can become.the lack of a good weather made it more balanced and i think ou should take a look at how uu faired with out it.It shows how over powered and broken weather can be

this is really a toss up between staraptor and victini in sun because they were both broken as hell.Remember taking those hits in the sun....i do and so does my good friend..Suicuin..he thought he would resist.......

oh god i played uu since the start on po buy havent got into the tournaments yet so i really dunno

I never realled liked ou in bw but loved it in dppt and BW uu was kinda like it at the beginning.also i always find the lower tiers more fun and balanced

I miss Celebi and Mamoswine ;( .Also sad to see frosslass go and if victini goes i think itll be a big loss for the meta

Swampert when it dropped i was so happy.For influence either tornadus for that POWER or mews returned because uu really missed him

for the absolute giggles the sun + victini . for balance i loved pre froslass ban and now

The meta after the sand and deoxys-d bans. A lot of really cool pokemon from low tiers were viable at the time because they were very anti-meta, and I love making teams with underrepresented pokemon.

The snow cloak + hail meta. Abomasnow was / probably still is a monster with its subseed protect set, froslass was the worst thing ever in uu, and a lot of pokemon were rendered completely unviable because of one aspect of hail or another.

I enjoyed playing UU tournaments because I got to bring underrepresented pokemon to a bigger stage. This was before grand slam though, so those tournaments were very rare.

Something unique to the UU playerbase is their insistence on not using the top UU threats. I think this is because most come from OU, tired of overused playstyles, and want to try something fresh. I remember in SPL3 there were almost no deoxys-d used at all.

Kyurem. Every other answer is wrong.

The replay disappeared when aesoft went down, but my BOTW match against ToF was memorable for me. ToF played crazy good, some of the best plays I have ever seen in a UU match, and completely dominated me until I brought out a random kingdra set and won. It was kind of a wake up call for me to concentrate on improving my play to prevent a situation like that from happening again.

OU was really bad, so when UU started I of course went into it. Once drought+kyurem were banned, I really enjoyed the process of discovery, where new major threats to the meta were constantly emerging. As time went on I got a feel for how the meta would develop and had fun trying to keep one step ahead of it at all times.

Donphan. Please come back and spin one more time for me babe. I miss you.

I don't like most of the pokemon that dropped from OU. Bronzong, chandelure, and darmanitan are just annoying, and I think the metagame would have been more enjoyable without them. Machamp was alright though, at first it was top 10 in usage stats but it eventually found a really cool niche in the meta. Mew never had any business being UU.

See my answer to #1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)