Little things you like about Pokémon

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Honestly I’m a little disappointed I got Violet, just because the Scarlet paradoxes have generally better designs. I mean I prefer Miraidon to Koraidon, and Iron Valiant is excellent, but in general there are far more options for designs from ancient times I feel.
(maybe I’m just being close minded and getting old too #everythingusedtobebetterinthegoodolddays)

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Honestly I’m a little disappointed I got Violet, just because the Scarlet paradoxes have generally better designs. I mean I prefer Miraidon to Koraidon, and Iron Valiant is excellent, but in general there are far more options for designs from ancient times I feel.
(maybe I’m just being close minded and getting old too #everythingusedtobebetterinthegoodolddays)
It’s nothing to do with age. There’s an agreement that the future Paradoxes, barring Miraidon, felt too rigid and repetitive compared to the past Paradoxes. If they try to make ”the future is cool” thing, that’s not the best way to do it…

Sure, past Paradoxes are more about “what if Pokémon but more dinosaurian”, but each still managed to be more distinct from the original in terms of body shape, shiny and design. The colored LED-like bodyparts from the “what if Pokémon but more robotic”, though, that can stay, since it allows for even more unusual colors.

If there’s two future Paradoxes I wouldn’t bother to redesign, those would be Iron Valiant (for obvious reason of mixing aspects from both Gardevoir and Gallade) and Iron Bundle (too cute to really think to redesign since the water bundle over the sack-tail did a great enough job), but each will get a more distinct shiny if I were to change them.

unga bunga were pulled off better than mech for some stupid reason, but i hope we get more mech pokemon next time

Haters can trash on Iron Leaves all they want, but I still think its cool. Its design gives off the aura of an assassin robot quite nicely, mainly due to its eyes. Its animation while using its signature move is also really cool, since it extends out its sword horn for a quick swipe, similar to Keldeo in Smash. Also like how fast it prances around in the overworld and the fact that it has a mouth gives it a different badass vibe compared to Iron Valiant, despite the two sharing a similar badass color scheme. I also like the metallic texture on it.

Walking Wake is a bit too feral for my taste, but I do like how similar it looks to Dracozolt and Rampardos, with the stubby little arms.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
If there’s two future Paradoxes I wouldn’t bother to redesign, those would be Iron Valiant (for obvious reason of mixing aspects from both Gardevoir and Gallade) and Iron Bundle (too cute to really think to redesign since the water bundle over the sack-tail did a great enough job), but each will get a more distinct shiny if I were to change them.
I feel that Iron Treads, Iron Hands, and Iron Moth (and maybe Iron Thorns) are okay too as they also bring some uniqueness:

• Iron Treads focuses on Donphan's rolling which is meant to be parallel to Great Tusks focusing more on Donphan's, well, tusks.
  • Iron Hands has the hands floating, disconnected from the body.
  • Iron Moth is meant to resemble a satellite or space telescope (honestly I don't get why Slither Wing is a thing).
  • Iron Thorns may as well get a pass as it can be considered a shoutout to Mechagodzilla, parallel with Tyranitar resembling normal Godzilla.

Honestly it's only really Jugulis and now Leaves which I have problems with as they don't really do anything notable with the design to make it stand out compared to its original (yes, I know Jugulus's side heads are also technically floating, but you got to look real carefully to notice that while with Iron Hands that's more obvious).

Last edited:

Coronis

Impressively round
I feel that Iron Treads, Iron Hands, and Iron Moth (and maybe Iron Thorns) are okay too as they also bring some uniqueness:

• Iron Treads focuses on Donphan's rolling which is meant to be parallel to Great Tusks focusing more on Donphan's, well, tusks.
  • Iron Hands has the hands floating, disconnected from the body.
  • Iron Moth is meant to resemble a satellite or space telescope (honestly I don't get why Slither Wing is a thing).
  • Iron Thorns may as well get a pass as it can be considered a shoutout to Mechagodzilla, parallel with Tyranitar resembling normal Godzilla.

Honestly it's only really Jugulis and now Leaves which I have problems with as they don't really do anything notable with the design to make it stand out compared to its original (yes, I know Jugulus's side heads are also technically floating, but you got to look real carefully to notice that while with Iron Hands that's more obvious).
Slither Wing is actually based on the female species of some moths (e.g bagworm) iirc, which don’t fly at all - only the males do - a gender diff thing could have been quite interesting with that. Also its underdeveloped wings are reminiscent of Stegosaurus plates, still leaning into an ancient theme, whilst shying away from more popular theropod dinos. I quite like it. Also yeah had no idea Jugulis’ heads were unattached until it was mentiknrd in this thread..

Slither Wing is actually based on the female species of some moths (e.g bagworm) iirc, which don’t fly at all - only the males do - a gender diff thing could have been quite interesting with that. Also its underdeveloped wings are reminiscent of Stegosaurus plates, still leaning into an ancient theme, whilst shying away from more popular theropod dinos. I quite like it. Also yeah had no idea Jugulis’ heads were unattached until it was mentiknrd in this thread..
The thing Slither Wing brings to mind for me is how Larvesta was a very Physically oriented Pokemon before evolving into the Specially-inclined Volcarona, to the point that despite its "weakling to reward with evolution" statline, its ATK is 20 points higher than Volcarona's Physical stats. If not for the Paradox concept, I could totally see Slither Wing as a branched evolution (Gender based like Gallade or otherwise) to Volcarona, and narratively I think it's interesting as divergent "real" evolution for Larvesta, becoming more physically powerful and land-bound rather than flying like Volc does.

I think the thing that bothers me is that Slither Wing is a better counterpart to Volcarona itself than to Iron Moth, who also kind of feels redundant as a Volc Paradox since its stats are kind of oriented the same way, and I believe Volcarona is the only Mon with 2 counterparts besides Donphan, since Tusk/Treads are Version-difference bosses. I'm also just biased because SW is currently my favorite Pokemon (subject to change because I go through Autism-like "fleeting obsessions" for some topics, but Volc was already big before) so I might argue for it more than most.

--------

As a small extra thing I like, Walking Wake is a concept I really like seeing from a gameplay standpoint, debates about its competitive healthiness in Singles aside. The idea of "actively make a Water Type that is viable and strong under Sun, the anti-Water weather" sounds like something straight out of a fan "Create-A-Pokemon" project or Theorymon project here on our own forums. It's realized amazingly well with one move bringing the whole kit together, a Pokemon where the strength is the sum of its parts instead of jacking every powerful aspect to 11 (Zacian, Palafin, Chi-Yu, and Mega Salamence come to mind as examples of that criticism). Even if Walking Wake is too strong, it's from using everything it's allotted in tandem rather than going all in one big number alone.

Besides that I'm also a sucker for weird contradictory/anti-meta Strats being made to work conceptually, with stuff like the Offensively-statted Starmie being a member of bulky cores, or this one Rain Volcarona set I saw in Gen 5 (100% Hurricane to work off boosts and break Bulky Grass targets while still roasting Ferrothorn even with the reduction), thinking outside the box and making it work, so now here's a mon that is designed from the ground up for that premise.

1.jpg

I am a fan of over-the-top villains so I actually enjoyed these weirdos as the villains of SwSh postgame. I just like how much of a douchebag they are, and they probably have the most punchable faces in the franchise which make me want to beat them everytime I see them. And unlike the likes of Blue and Silver, these guys have no redeeming qualities. Not to mention their hairstyles, in case I forgot that the game I was playing is called Sword and Shield.

Obligatory mention that Sordward's hair looks like a d*ck.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
If anything, they feels like “an entitled rival who took things too far”, but replace rival by so-called royalty duo. I wouldn’t mind a rival who was initially friendly (or already a jerk), but have shades of their true color before they start to take things too far.

One thing that pleasantly surprises me is that from the same game, President Rose have folded in grace instead of fighting against authorities after his plan goes down the flush. Goes to show that his intention and personality are genuine, unlike too many political personalities to count.

Coronis

Impressively round
View attachment 496388
I am a fan of over-the-top villains so I actually enjoyed these weirdos as the villains of SwSh postgame. I just like how much of a douchebag they are, and they probably have the most punchable faces in the franchise which make me want to beat them everytime I see them. And unlike the likes of Blue and Silver, these guys have no redeeming qualities. Not to mention their hairstyles, in case I forgot that the game I was playing is called Sword and Shield.

Obligatory mention that Sordward's hair looks like a d*ck.
No wonder swords were the weapon of choice for blokes.

There were posters by the Treasure Eatery hinting at the three new Pokémon in The Teal Mask. Look past the NPC’s shoulder:

GF being sly :)
Do you mean the green poster in the window?

Yeah I can kind of see it. Bird on top, the monkey in the middle, the wolf at the bottom. Honestly until I zoomed in I thought the wolf was just an owl, though; but it does have the "crescent" markings under the eyes/cheeks and what looks like wolf ears.
Doesn't quite line up 1:1 on any of them, but then again neither do the statues and masks so...

Do you mean the green poster in the window?

Yeah I can kind of see it. Bird on top, the monkey in the middle, the wolf at the bottom. Honestly until I zoomed in I thought the wolf was just an owl, though; but it does have the "crescent" markings under the eyes/cheeks and what looks like wolf ears.
Doesn't quite line up 1:1 on any of them, but then again neither do the statues and masks so...
Even better:
The exact same poster appears at 0:17 in the above video, and the traditional jinbei outfit you get for your player character in The Teal Mask (also seen in the key art for the episode) uses identical iconography.
It's not even something you have to stretch to see as foreshadowing or not - it's quite explicit that this was the intention behind the poster design.

This is a really cool find : D

Even better:
The exact same poster appears at 0:17 in the above video, and the traditional jinbei outfit you get for your player character in The Teal Mask (also seen in the key art for the episode) uses identical iconography.
It's not even something you have to stretch to see as foreshadowing or not - it's quite explicit that this was the intention behind the poster design.

This is a really cool find : D
I like how this means Ogrepon is the only one of the 7 new Pokemon not teased either very directly (Wake, Leaves, Terapagos) or sneakily (the trio)

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ogerpon is effectively an honorary "cover legendary" for the "The Teal Mask" portion of the DLC, even if it's probably a sub-legendary.

Ogerpon serves as the "mascot" for "The Teal Mask" while Terapagos is the "mascot" for "The Indigo Disk".

It's like how both halves of the SwSh DLC had "mascot" legendaries in Urshifu and Calyrex, even though Urshifu was a minor legendary/sub-legendary. Urshifu was the "mascot" of "The Isle of Armor" while Calyrex was the "mascot" of "The Crown Tundra".

If movies come back, I would not expect them to come out until next year, and that is likely when we'll see new mythicals using Gen 8 as precedent, ie they will be added to the games' code and "created" at that time. The Gen 9 anime has yet to start until next month, and we're in a new era where we have a new pair of protagonists with Liko and Roy and this year will be dedicated to starting their stories more or less on the anime front.

With the new age we're probably going to see changes in what will happen with movies in the future.

So I've never been one to do a shiny hunt, even as those aspects got easier. I've actually been doing a shiny egg hunt for Finizen and, well, that's for the other thread.

However

Shiny hunting in SV (& LA to an extent, I suppose) is actually not half bad in general, just because of the sheer amount of Pokemon yo ucome across. It's really fun to just stumble into shinies while wandering around, but this combines nicely with the Swarm mechanic + the Autobattle mechanic. Just burning through a swarm and then seeing that shiny pop up is cool. I've done it twice, once with a Glimmet swarm and just now with a Dondozo swarm; both were pretty much on a whim but it was cool to go in with a goal and come out of it like 10~15 minutes later. I think you can even save before going into a swarm and reset to try again, and I know that land based swarms can abuse picnics to mass respawn pokemon once you get up to 60 KOs.
With 60 kills and the shiny charm its a 1-800 chance, which while still technically low just feels so much cfaster just because of the spawn churn. It's nice!

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
This is such a minor thing, but there's a guy in Crystal who stands in front of the stairs in the gatehouse leading to the Tin Tower; rather than the usual thing roadblock NPCs do where they let you walk past them but then do a "!" speech bubble and dash around you to push you back, this guy instead will simply sidestep without turning so that he's always directly in front of the tile you're on to block you from going past him.

I find this oddly charming. It feels like a much more elegant way of blocking than the other method, which I guess is fitting for a wise but austere old monk. I think there are a couple of other NPCs in the Gen II games that do this too, but he sticks out to me.

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
There were plenty of things done well with Alphas in Legends: Arceus, but the thing that really made them genuinely terrifying to me is that the red eyes still pop out when you pull up the menu, whereas the rest of the background colors become very muted.
Made worse if the Pokémon is directly staring at you, it feels like not even pausing the game will protect you...

Coronis

Impressively round
This is such a minor thing, but there's a guy in Crystal who stands in front of the stairs in the gatehouse leading to the Tin Tower; rather than the usual thing roadblock NPCs do where they let you walk past them but then do a "!" speech bubble and dash around you to push you back, this guy instead will simply sidestep without turning so that he's always directly in front of the tile you're on to block you from going past him.

I find this oddly charming. It feels like a much more elegant way of blocking than the other method, which I guess is fitting for a wise but austere old monk. I think there are a couple of other NPCs in the Gen II games that do this too, but he sticks out to me.
Oh I loved that dude.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 6, Guests: 6)