Little things you like about Pokémon

I've had Unown on the brain these past few days, and I just realized what Unown's "odd power" is supposed to be, or at least what it's a reference to.
Platinum Pokedex said:
When alone, nothing happens. However, if there are two or more, an odd power is said to emerge.
It's language. Isolated from context, the symbols of a writing system are meaningless. But when put together next to other symbols...

:unown-i::unown-d::unown-e::unown::unown-s:
:unown::unown-r::unown-e:
:unown-c::unown-o::unown-m::unown-m::unown-u::unown-n::unown-i::unown-c::unown::unown-t::unown-e::unown-d:
:unown-f::unown-r::unown-o::unown-m:
:unown-o::unown-n::unown-e:
:unown-m::unown-i::unown-n::unown-d:
:unown-t::unown-o:
:unown::unown-n::unown-o::unown-t::unown-h::unown-e::unown-r:

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Rock Climb was a cool HM. Not in-battle, where it kind of sucked (I'm not surprised it was Dexited) although a confusion side-effect is welcome.

But nah, the field effect was really cool. I always liked the idea of scaling cliffs, and given that it's mostly an optional HM it never felt too oppressive to keep. It's not actually that bad of a move to have in-game, though by the time you get it you've probably got better options. HGSS's approach to it was pretty neat - it's the only HM you can't use until Kanto, so provides access to Headbutt trees containing Hoenn & Sinnoh Pokemon as well as evolution items.

It's cool PL:A included a similar feature, though I don't know much about how it works.

Rock Climb was a cool HM. Not in-battle, where it kind of sucked (I'm not surprised it was Dexited) although a confusion side-effect is welcome.
There was exactly one user of Rock Climb(due to the lack of anything else): Sheer Force Tauros. It got it as a Dream World move in Gen V, with no better STAB moves that could get boosted by Sheer Force, and in Gen VI it was the same deal. Starting with Sun and Moon, mostly due to the release of the Gen 1 games on virtual console, Body Slam came along and made it obsolete, though due to movesets being reset it briefly became the best STAB choice for Sheer Force Tauros again in BDSP, as it was temporarily undexited and Body Slam was unobtainable on it in those games.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
There was exactly one user of Rock Climb(due to the lack of anything else): Sheer Force Tauros. It got it as a Dream World move in Gen V, with no better STAB moves that could get boosted by Sheer Force, and in Gen VI it was the same deal. Starting with Sun and Moon, mostly due to the release of the Gen 1 games on virtual console, Body Slam came along and made it obsolete, though due to movesets being reset it briefly became the best STAB choice for Sheer Force Tauros again in BDSP, as it was temporarily undexited and Body Slam was unobtainable on it in those games.
Obviously there's a long history in this series of moves whose names imply typings other than the ones they have (Morning Sun, Strength, and Razor Wind are Normal, Lick being Ghost, and hell even Gust, Karate Chop, and Sand Attack being Normal in Gen I), but if Rock Climb had been Fighting it would have been so much better. Fighting doesn't have many moves that can cause confusion iirc (only other one that springs to mind is Dynamicpunch, which isn't reliable or widespread). That said, a lot of the more high-powered Fighting moves come with a significant drawback, so perhaps that's why it was made Normal instead. Still, it strikes me as a missed opportunity.

I've had Unown on the brain these past few days, and I just realized what Unown's "odd power" is supposed to be, or at least what it's a reference to.
I'll go ahead an add this to a TV Tropes Fridge page. EDIT: Never mind, it's already on there.
An Unown on its own does very little, but they become vastly more powerful when many are together. A fitting phenomenon for a Pokémon based on letters, as single letters are very limited in what they can communicate, but when assembled into words and then sentences and paragraphs, they can express almost anything.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I really like how the 3DS Virtual Console release of Crystal re-implemented the Celebi event that was axed in the international versions and made it part of the normal game. While access to Celebi doesn't really change much since it's post-E4 and Kanto is a joke, I just think it's cool when the lost content of older games is restored in general.

I should probably get Crystal before the eShop shuts down.
I made sure to get Red, Blue, Yellow. Gold. Silver. Crystal, Bank, Transporter, Dream Radar, ORAS Special Demo, and SM Special Demo on all of my 3DS systems when the shutdown was first announced. Those are all of the digital-only titles on 3DS that can interact with the mainline Pokemon games.

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
3DS Pokemon in general is honestly criminally underrated from a technical standpoint, and I feel it's worth appreciating in a time where a lot of people have less than favorable opinions on current games in that aspect

-The Pokemon models. Say what you will about their usage later down the road, but that will never change the fact these things are utterly unreal for 3DS standards. 721-807 models that are this high poly on this system?! To put things into context, here's a few comparisons from other games:
1674332007819.png

Abraham Lincoln from Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. Already he looks so much more angular, and this is in a strategy game with 27 playable units, paltry compared to Pokemon's selection

1674332379325.png

Mario from Super Mario 3D Land. Nintendo's mascot on one of the system's defining games, and even he can't escape some rather jagged-looking tips for his mustache and hair. Cleared by Skiddo, unfortunately!

-If you want to see the limits of scale on the 3DS, look no further than Lumiose City. So many buildings, so many pedestrians, so many places to find. What matches up to it, something in the console's Dragon Quest 11 port perhaps?
-Alola. Just the whole thing. Best-looking involved 3D game on the entire system, only serious competition visually are the N64 Zelda remakes and games like The Great Ace Attorney and Kid Icarus Uprising that are in part or totally on-rails.
-Don't even get me started on cutscene direction across these games. Exclusive Z-Move animations, the Primals and Ultra Necrozma's awakenings, the Delta Episode Deoxys encounter, ugh there's so much good stuff.

Moral of the story: Game Freak has already made visually delightful 3D games before. Surely they can do so again.

I'm not going to say it has among the best visuals for the console, or deny the (probably deliberate) performance issues of the Gen VII games, especially on an Old 3DS, but I never understood that idea that Pokémon has always looked bad.

For the resolution, for the hardware specs, the 3DS games comparatively stomp all the Switch games in the graphical aspect, with the possible exception of Let's GO.

And in art style, too, because they use a more cartoonish shading that fits the Pokémon a lot better.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
3DS Pokémon and Audino getting praised on the same day?? Am I dreaming?? Is this real?? :psytear:
The 3DS games were fine for the most part, personally I believe they were a downgrade from Gen V in terms of story and overall content though the visuals never bothered me (I'm more willing to overlook the growing pains in that regard). Though I do feel is also began GF's start of trying to cut corners to get the games released. Still, they are important games in terms of finally jumping the games to the 3D space and, for better or worse, them starting their experimental phase with the super mechanics (first being the Mega Evos which are still my favorite ones) and later introduction of Regional Variants.

As for Audino, I've always liked it, and not just because Gen 5 is my favorite Gen (and not because they're very easy to farm for exp). I feel they pull off the "nurse assistant" theme better than Chansey (though Chansey was more shoe-in to the role, with them later making Blissey to have more of a nurse outfit); they just look like they would be more versatile than the ovular Chansey/Blissey and that's before going into their natural ability to sense someone's wellbeing with their stethoscope ear extensions (and this fact becomes somewhat heartwarming when you learn the reason Audino was made was solely because, since Gen V only had new Pokemon, they didn't want to leave Nurse Joy without a definitive assistant).

Going beyond design and "role" as exp farmer, if you're into tanky Pokemon I feel Audino is a decent one (CASUALLY, I know, it's not that high in competitive tier, but I'm curious how would it do in a casual playthrough). Good HP, decent defenses, I guess has enough offense to not be completely helpless, and low Speed is par for the course (infact would probably have done better with less Speed and moved some of those points to making its defenses higher; maybe also move some points from Attack over to Special Attack). Of course I just right there described Mega Audino, a surprise Mega Pokemon. Bit disappointed it was the only Gen V Mega, but I don't feel it was wasted. I think they were trying to make Audino just that bit more comparable to the Chansey family who are super over specialized (which is what makes them good competitive Pokemon, at least higher than base Audino). But I like Audino is a mixed tank. Also gets access to the coveted Regenerator Ability which the Chansey family wish they had (too bad they gave Mega Audino its other Ability, Healer; once again trying to make it more like the Chansey family though I think they prefer having Natural Cure so MA having Regenerator would have been the comparable Ability). Klutz is also an interesting Hidden Ability, odd it doesn't learn Bestow by Level-up (or get Trick or Switcheroo at all) though if you can breed a Klutz Audino with Bestow (and teach it Knock Off) could have fun passing around a Flame or Toxic Orb.

Alright, I know what you're thinking. "Those are pretty faint praises". And yeah, I guess. Honestly one thing that cemented Audino in my mind as a fun Pokemon is one of the cooler scenes they did in the anime. Gen V was still when they gave Normal-types TON of elemental coverage to make-up having a STAB that couldn't do Super Effective damage. In BW035 "Where Did You Go, Audino?", Team Rocket kidnap a whole bunch of Audino using a hypnotizing sound wave in order to use them to build a super radar system. Anyway, Ash & co. (plus an Officer Jenny and two rival kids also investigating the missing Audino; the episode is mostly about them trying to be the most helpful solving the case plus Cilan also playing detective) get involve and are able to free the Audino from the sound waves. What do the Audino do next?

They unleash 7 different elemental attacks (according to Serebii, starting at the top and going clockwise: Charge Beam, Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Shadow Ball, Solar Beam, Thunderbolt, & Hyper Beam)! Now this was at a time they were making the Rocket Trio more "formidable" so they didn't blast off, but the Audino wrecked the lab good. Overall it was just fun to see all the Audino using different attacks, especially with how it was presented (if you'll like to see it here's a site, Pokeflix, with the episode, the above scene happens at the near end of the episode, I'd say the 19:23 mark).

Last edited:
I love how Iron Valiant turned out, mechanically. It feels like the first time Game Freak has really nailed making a mixed attacker in a very long time. A big contributor to its success I think was opting to give it Spirit Break instead of Play Rough. Not only does it make more flavor sense and also makes a signature move more widely distributed, but it means that Iron Valiant has to go mixed to make the most of its STAB combo. On the Fairy side, Moonblast is much stronger than Spirit Break, and on the Fighting side, Close Combat is way stronger than Aura Sphere and much more reliable than Focus Blast. Combine this with high offensive stats that guarantee damage even on whichever Attack you don't invest in, and you've got the best designed mixed attacker for my money since like, DPP Infernape.

I love how Iron Valiant turned out, mechanically. It feels like the first time Game Freak has really nailed making a mixed attacker in a very long time. A big contributor to its success I think was opting to give it Spirit Break instead of Play Rough. Not only does it make more flavor sense and also makes a signature move more widely distributed, but it means that Iron Valiant has to go mixed to make the most of its STAB combo. On the Fairy side, Moonblast is much stronger than Spirit Break, and on the Fighting side, Close Combat is way stronger than Aura Sphere and much more reliable than Focus Blast. Combine this with high offensive stats that guarantee damage even on whichever Attack you don't invest in, and you've got the best designed mixed attacker for my money since like, DPP Infernape.
I agree 100%, it's nice to see a mixed attacker in a generation full of min-maxed Pokémon. I also noticed that mixed attackers would only work if the Pokémon has a high BST, so it would still have crucial stats on its Speed or bulk. Making a mixed attacker with a middling BST would end up something like Camerupt or Heatmor.

I agree 100%, it's nice to see a mixed attacker in a generation full of min-maxed Pokémon. I also noticed that mixed attackers would only work if the Pokémon has a high BST, so it would still have crucial stats on its Speed or bulk. Making a mixed attacker with a middling BST would end up something like Camerupt or Heatmor.
Scovillain is crying in a corner right now

Scovillain isn't really a mixed attacker. It's a special attacker who happens to have a high Attack stat.
Which is basically the definition of a mixed attacker...

Cause let's be frank, if Iron Valiant didnt happen to have a much stronger special fairy stab than phisical, mixed would not really be considered. You don't really see mixed dragapult around (outside some niche defensive sets) do you.

Last edited:
Which is basically the definition of a mixed attacker...

Cause let's be frank, if Iron Valiant didnt happen to have a much stronger special fairy stab than phisical, mixed would not really be considered. You don't really see mixed dragapult around (outside some niche defensive sets) do you.
Being a mixed attacker is not the same as having roughly equal offensive stats, nor is it the same as being able to run both physical and special sets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)