Little Cup's New and "Creative" Moveset Thread - Mark 1

I SAID it gets Ice Beam. >0 It also gets Tbolt (which I also said) and I'd rather run something like that than Double Kick on a scarf Nido. . . but I guess Double Kick is more effective in LC than anywhere else, hmm? Hmm.

I like Iss's Electrike too. Isn't there anything it could run to hit Chinchou? Like maybe HP ground or something? ...oh but then it would have trouble with Gligar, huh. Well, what about Quick Attack over Substitute?

I always thought a Scarf-Switcheroo set would be interesting on Electrike too.

What about Camoflauge Staryu via the Pomeg Glitch (which allows it to learn 3rd Gen Camoflauge)? On Shoddy Battle Camoflauge always makes it a Normal type. So you could run something like this:

Lv. 5 Jolly Staryu @ Oran Berry
36 HP / 236 Attack / 236 Speed
- Camoflauge
- Rapid Spin
- Waterfall
- Return/Recover

It gets STAB on Rapid Spin now! Yea okay this is a total gimmick but Camoflauge is a "fun" move I guess. Can anyone think of a better set for Camo?

About the Camo Staryu, why not run a SubLo set? Something like this...

-Substitute
-Camouflage
-HP Normal
-Hydro Pump

Basically max EVs in speed an SAtk, with a Timid nature. Idk, just tryna help...

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
About the Camo Staryu, why not run a SubLo set? Something like this...

-Substitute
-Camouflage
-HP Normal
-Hydro Pump

Basically max EVs in speed an SAtk, with a Timid nature. Idk, just tryna help...
No. Camouflage will never be anywhere CLOSE to competitive on Staryu. Besides, if you really want to use that, Return > HP Normal.

But no. Just don't use it.

I know the camouflage set for Staryu is not the most viable set, and Testknight even said it is kinda a gimmick, but you shouldn't all start quoting and attacking me. I only gave that suggestion because even though people might discourage him from using that set, he might go ahead and use it so I wanted to give him the best possible variant of that set to utilize. If you want to bash on his creation, tell it to him, and not me.

Nobody is flaming you and nobody is going to use that set lol. I just realized how bad/obscure Camo is, it's an only Starmie/Mothim move and yet you never hear about it is as a signature move at all. It's just like Future Sight I guess, one of those terrible moves that seems like it could be useful until you realize the mechanics suck.

The fun of LC is partly that of trying to innovate new trends, so if Camo Staryu could be decent somehow it was worth a try but no, it's rly bad.

One semi decent anti lead I came up with while I was testing a barrage of leads was an anti lead cyndaquil.

Set was:

Cyndaquil @ Focus Sash
Naive Nature
EVs: 236 Spe / 196 SAtk / 44Atk
Blaze
-FireBlast
-HP Grass
-Double Kick
-Quick Attack

This came about during surge of Leaddour and Kabuto. Basically you Double Kick Houndour, you HP Grass Kabuto / Omanyte, finish off sashers with QA and pummel othershit with Fire Blast. Also beats non HPGround Snover, who normally carry HP Fire.

Just throwing it out there.

Also there was discussion of Croagunk Lures in the omanyte thread now locked, what I used was simply Lead Wailmer w/ Wise Glasses and HP Ground with moves Water Spout / Ice Beam / HPGround / SD. Basically use Water Spout as they switch in gunk, and HP Ground KO it. doesnt work all the time though....

Dubulous

I look just like Buddy Holly.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The Pomeg Glitch is legal. Genderless Pokemon from Gen 3 can learn any of their Level-Up moves and be hatched at Level 5. Tri-Attack Poryon, Hydro Pump Staryu, etc. are all legal for Standard Little Cup play.

This does not apply to genderless Pokemon in Gen 4, like Bronzor. Additionally, Level-Up moves on genderless Pokemon cannot be used in conjunction with an ability only found in Gen 4.

PipLead@Oran Berry

-Hydro Pump/Surf
-Hidden Power (Grass)
-Icy Wind
-Stealth Rock

THE set to transform your opponent's "lol piplup lead" into "wow that shit is awesome"

: HP grass.

: Icy wind OHKOes. If they run a sash, use SR in turn two then KO with anything.

:You can take a fake out. use Icy Wind, then KO with HPump or SR.

:Icy Wind, then SR on the obvious Sucker Punch and finish it with anything.

: Hydro Pump OHKOes.

etc, etc.

NOTE: Pilplup has great trouble with Snover and Voltorb.

HP Grass is essentially useless since Surf 2HKOes Kabuto anyway, so why not stick HP Fire on there to OHKO Snover?

@ Lumin: Maybe Focus Sash might help? I don't really know how bulky Piplup is, but maybe that'd be good. Also, does Piplup not get Ice Beam? :0

Aright, I've finally got something here. >w>

Gastly @ Life Orb
Modest / Levitate
196 Spd / 196 SAtk / 76 SDef / 36 Def
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb / Tbolt / HP Fight
- Torment

I just noticed today that Gastly gets Torment. Oh and look, Sub-Gastly is one of his most popular sets. Torment-Tran in OU is so proud... xD

Also TormentTran works thanks to mons not usually having 2 moves that can do major damage to him thanks to stats + typing. Gastly doesnt have too many resistances outside his immunities, and will be 2HKOd by nearly any STABd attack. SO Torment isnt that great on Gastly.

While I do agree with mgx that this set is not "that great", it's not for the reasons he stated.

Gastly with Torment is actually good because he is a Ghost-type with Levitate, so naturally a Pokemon will normally only have 1 move to hit Gastly with. This said, why not just, you know, attack? Gastly's SpA and coverage do a good enough job to 1-2HKO most of the tier, and the ones it doesn't should be dealt with by using the last slot for moves such as Explosion, Hypnosis, and even Sucker Punch.

Good idea, and probably a good set, it's just outclassed by other Gastly sets.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
HP Grass is essentially useless since Surf 2HKOes Kabuto anyway, so why not stick HP Fire on there to OHKO Snover?
Getting a clean OHKO as Kabuto sets up SR is a big boost over dealing 78.9% - 94.7% then seeing it jump back to reasonable health (over 50%) with Oran, and switch out to something that Pip can't handle, Snover can still tie with Pip and KO with a grass attack, and going by the last lead stats Kabuto is far more common than Snover, but I guess HP Fire is a fair option especially when Snover leads are common. Also, I had no idea Pip learned SR, which means that it's going to be a surprise to many players. Quite a specific lead, but it actually looks pretty fun.

Getting a clean OHKO as Kabuto sets up SR is a big boost over dealing 78.9% - 94.7% then seeing it jump back to reasonable health (over 50%) with Oran, and switch out to something that Pip can't handle, Snover can still tie with Pip and KO with a grass attack, and going by the last lead stats Kabuto is far more common than Snover, but I guess HP Fire is a fair option especially when Snover leads are common. Also, I had no idea Pip learned SR, which means that it's going to be a surprise to many players. Quite a specific lead, but it actually looks pretty fun.
Irrelevant:
Code:
| Kabuto     | Item         | Focus Sash       |    79.3 |
| Kabuto     | Item         | Oran Berry       |     5.4 |
Snover can still tie but often doesn't carry a Grass attack aside from Leech Seed. I see no reason to run HP Grass at all, HP Fire is better even if it doesn't "always" beat Snover simply because HP Grass does nothing except stop other Water-types from setting up.

Snover can still tie but often doesn't carry a Grass attack aside from Leech Seed. I see no reason to run HP Grass at all, HP Fire is better even if it doesn't "always" beat Snover simply because HP Grass does nothing except stop other Water-types from setting up.
Yes, HP Fire is a great attack for snover, but then leaves Piplup unable to touch waters, which is bad.

Also, I had no idea Pip learned SR, which means that it's going to be a surprise to many players. Quite a specific lead, but it actually looks pretty fun.
It's not just fun, it's really effective too!

While I do agree with mgx that this set is not "that great", it's not for the reasons he stated.

Gastly with Torment is actually good because he is a Ghost-type with Levitate, so naturally a Pokemon will normally only have 1 move to hit Gastly with. This said, why not just, you know, attack? Gastly's SpA and coverage do a good enough job to 1-2HKO most of the tier, and the ones it doesn't should be dealt with by using the last slot for moves such as Explosion, Hypnosis, and even Sucker Punch.

Good idea, and probably a good set, it's just outclassed by other Gastly sets.
It beats Munchlax if he doesn't carry Fire Punch... that's the main reason for me. Allows him to beat one of his counters. Guess I should have explained that...

For me personally, I need my Gastly to survive longer, so Explosion is no good. Hypnosis' accuracy makes me cry and I already have a sleeper anyway. Previously, I ran Will-O-Wisp on my SubGastly to beat Munchlax, but I just figure this is better for that. At the very least, it allows Gastly to switch out without fearing Pursuit (if it doesn't already have a Sub up when Munchy switches in), which for me is a huge plus.

It beats Munchlax if he doesn't carry Fire Punch... that's the main reason for me. Allows him to beat one of his counters. Guess I should have explained that...

For me personally, I need my Gastly to survive longer, so Explosion is no good. Hypnosis' accuracy makes me cry and I already have a sleeper anyway. Previously, I ran Will-O-Wisp on my SubGastly to beat Munchlax, but I just figure this is better for that.
Will-O-Wisp is more effective. Munchlax will always have two moves to hit Gastly with.

Well almost always:
Code:
| Munchlax   | Move         | Protect          |     6.3 |

Wisp hasn't really worked that well for me in the past, because it tends to still die even when Munchlax is burned. :\ I just thought I'd try it... It's very important for my team to keep Gastly alive and I'm hoping this does the trick.

EDIT: Oh, I just realized... Torment also allows it to beat Scarfers that switch in on its Sub.

Sorry in advance for the double-post. Incidentally, I just had another custom set of mine complimented on, and while I'm not sure how 'creative' it is, I do know that it's definitely not the norm.

Aron @ Oran Berry
Adamant / Rock Head
196 Atk / 196 Spd / 36 each in HP / Def / SDef
- Rock Polish
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Substitute

Designed to beat its counters that use Fighting priority, like Croagunk and Magby. Comes in on Meowth or something, feigning a regular RP set, and sets up a Sub on Croagunk's switch-in. Croagunk Vacuum Waves the Sub, Aron EQs, and one obstacle of its possible later sweep is out of the way. Stuggles a bit more against Quakers than Magnet Rise Aron, but still effective (and still beaten by Scarf Gligar, unfortunately x___x).

Works actally quite well alongside my Torment Gastly. =w= olol.

Dubulous

I look just like Buddy Holly.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've found Grimer to be an effective Ghost-type counter.

Grimer @ Life Orb
Adamant
196 HP / 196 Attack / 36 Def
Sticky Hold
- Shadow Sneak
- Ice Punch
- Poison Jab
- Explosion

Gastly cannot OHKO Grimer with any attack that it runs commonly (a super effective Hidden Power will KO), while Shadow Sneak does 80-100%. Ice Punch is to hit Gligar who might switch into Grimer. Poison Jab is for STAB, though I rarely ever use it.

Be sure to change the ability to Sticky Hold from Stench to make Grimer an effective Trick counter, though the strategy is rare.

I'm by no means the best set-maker in the community, so there might be better options for Grimer to run. The set's purpose is to beat Ghost-types, and while Stunky traps them better than Grimer does, Grimer has higher Attack and a reliable priority move to use that makes him/her a better option than Stunky. If anyone has suggestions, however, feel free to comment here!

I've got a lead shroomish that I've tested and it has worked well in every battle so far:

Shroomish (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 36 HP/196 Atk/36 Def/236 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Spore
- Seed Bomb
- Wake-up Slap
- Return

Shroomish, with a scarf, gets the magic 21 speed. It will either spore the lead or kill with seed bomb (for omanyte and kabuto). Thoughts?

I've found Grimer to be an effective Ghost-type counter.

Grimer @ Life Orb
Adamant
196 HP / 196 Attack / 36 Def
Sticky Hold
- Shadow Sneak
- Ice Punch
- Poison Jab
- Explosion

Gastly cannot OHKO Grimer with any attack that it runs commonly (a super effective Hidden Power will KO), while Shadow Sneak does 80-100%. Ice Punch is to hit Gligar who might switch into Grimer. Poison Jab is for STAB, though I rarely ever use it.

Be sure to change the ability to Sticky Hold from Stench to make Grimer an effective Trick counter, though the strategy is rare.

I'm by no means the best set-maker in the community, so there might be better options for Grimer to run. The set's purpose is to beat Ghost-types, and while Stunky traps them better than Grimer does, Grimer has higher Attack and a reliable priority move to use that makes him/her a better option than Stunky. If anyone has suggestions, however, feel free to comment here!
You could always go with Fire Punch over Poison Jab to beat Bronzor if you're not using that much.

I've got a lead shroomish that I've tested and it has worked well in every battle so far:

Shroomish (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 36 HP/196 Atk/36 Def/236 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Spore
- Seed Bomb
- Wake-up Slap
- Return

Shroomish, with a scarf, gets the magic 21 speed. It will either spore the lead or kill with seed bomb (for omanyte and kabuto). Thoughts?
Kabuto usually runs Sash, so that won't be beating him... why not the same set with Focus Sash and Protect (over Return)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)