Little Cup Research Week #1 - Nomination Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
The idea of "research weeks" came from the Ubers Subforum and was created by Theorymon, Jibaku and bojangles. Being the state of activity in the Subforum and the current metagame, with permission from the creators, a research week seems to be perfect for Little Cup. There are two reasons why a research week is being held for Little Cup. First is the fact that the Little Cup Subforum is rather dry, so hopefully a research week will bolster activity in the forum and on the ladders on CAP and Pokemon-Online.

The second reason is because there are numerous Pokemon without Little Cup analyses. The Pokemon up for Research are currently all Pokemon who do not have analyses. Throughout the Research Week, I would like if any viable sets to posted in the thread with either full set comments or a bulleted list of what the set accomplishes. At the end of the Research Week, I will compile all the viable sets and put them into an analysis, which will go through Quality Control and proceed to follow the same procedure that all analyses go through. Please feel free to reflect opinions on the current Pokemon being researched. Comments like how it does in the metagame, if it seems outclassed, good teammates and what theme team this Pokemon works best are great examples of things to post. Saying things like "We should have researched 'Pokemon X' instead of this Pokemon" is a bad idea.

You do not need to sign-up in order to participate in a research week or write up a set. Anyone can contribute any set, although only "good" ones will make it into the final analysis.

The process and rules of research weeks may change over time depending on the success or failure of past research weeks. Keep in mind that research weeks will be moderated, so don't use this as a chance just to increase post count or troll. Any utter stupidity will not be tolerated, but that should go without saying.

This thread is to intelligently discuss which Pokemon we want for Research Week #1. I will close this thread on Tuesday, July 13 and select the Pokemon that I feel has been best-supported. After that, Dracoyoshi8 will begin the actual Research process and manage the thread.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
I would like to suggest the Pokemon Sandshrew.

At first glance, Sandshrew seems like an inferior choice to Phanpy. But, when you looks closer, there are some distinct advantages Sandshrew has, including but not limited to:

• access to Swords Dance
  • higher Attack stat
  • Sand Veil
  • more expansive physical movepool
  • Rapid Spin
Sandshrew is pretty unexplored in the current metagame, but shows plently of potential to preform well. As such, I believe Sandshrew is the the perfect candidate for out first Research Week.

ah wondered what happened to the other thread.

Anyway, I'm going for numel. It's attacking stats aren't too bad, but simple is just awesome. Low speed is unfortunate, but that's why they invented agility! Agility up, pass, howl while numel takes the hit, and sweep with earthquake, rock slide, and overheat (bronzor >__<). A gimmicky set of amnesia/defense curl/toxic/rest, or even try your luck with a focus energy mixxed set w/scope lens. Although it requires some support, numel can become extremely powerfull after just one turn, and has nice offensive STABs, so I think numel is an excellent choice. Plus, it's so cute!

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Nominating: Numel

Numel is one of the more promising Pokemon we could do I believe, since it has one of the coolest abilities in the game: Simple. It doesn't get Rock Polish (unlike Camerupt), but gets Howl (+2 to attack), Amnesia (+4 to Special Defense), and Stockpile (+2 to both defenses). Also, its 60/65 offenses mean it hits hard from both ends, and gets excellent attacking options such as Earthquake, Earth Power, Fire Blast, and Rock Slide. Finally, it can support the team with Stealth Rock, Charm, Yawn, Will-O-Wisp, and Toxic. As an added bonus it's a Fire-type that's not SR weak!

I would like to nominate Lickitung. Its got a pretty wide movepool. Has pretty bulky defensive stats and decent offensive stats.

Possible movesets off the top of my head:
-SubPunch
-SD
-Choice Band
-Specs (would have to go unstabbed though :( )

Its abilities and typing aren't very good though, but I figure it can sorta function like a more offensive, less bulky Munchlax.

its italicized because its copyed blame vader (also im fat)

---

honestly, so much has been explored that we might as well start crazy - (im crazy)

Togepi

ok hear me out here - Togepi's movepool is literally unexplored as probably no one has ever actually used togepi, but togepi's hustle and odd movepool makes me wonder:

Togepi gets access to Nasty Plot, Encore, Yawn, Baton Pass, Heal Bell, Trick, Fire Blast, Grass Knot, Return, Counter, Light Screen, Reflect, Softboiled, Wish, Endeavor, Thunder Wave and Psycho Shift. Maybe even more stuff is viable.

Meanwhile, Hustle Band Togepi hits 27 Attack which isn't too shabby and also gets Return/Trick/Double-Edge, and a Modest Togepi can hit 14 Special Attack and gets some interesting moves. The low speed is a real turnoff, but the defenses aren't bad and can probably take a hit or too with oran berry - add in psycho shift to pass burn or recovery with wish/softboiled, as well as screens and countercoats.

I don't know how successful it would be, but hell, i would use it and maybe you would too! at the very least, we can start a very good analysis with enough usage!

I'd like to nominate Drowzee.

Drowzee might seem like an inferior Munchlax in terms of walling, but Drowzee does have the resistance to Fighting, and can also make for a decent Sleep absorber if you don't wish to use Mankey. Drowzee also gets support options in Dual Screens, Trick and even Wish. Drowzee can also use niche moves like Guard Swap, Trick and Role Play. Drowzee can also spread status with Hypnosis and Thunder Wave. It's offenses may be lacking, but I think Drowzee has tremendous unexplored potential.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
If you are nominating a Pokemon who's analysis has already been claimed, please confirm you have gotten permission from the claimer to nominate the Pokemon for research. In the case of Drowzee, it has already been claimed by Alchemator and its analysis can be found here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68937

Lord Liam has claimed the Lickitung from SDS, but Lord Liam has not been active in over a month, so I'm letting Lickitung slide. But please get permission from users from now on and say you got permission if the Pokemon has already been claimed. I want to avoid as much hassle as possible during the actual Research Week.

As a side note, while I still think Sandshrew is the best choice, I also highly support Numel. While I highly doubt Numel's ability to perform by itself, it seems like an excellent Baton Pass receiver. I think it would create a great opportunity to test Baton Pass in Little Cup, which from what I see seems to be currently an uncommon strategy.

I would like to suggest the Pokemon Sandshrew.

At first glance, Sandshrew seems like an inferior choice to Phanpy. But, when you looks closer, there are some distinct advantages Sandshrew has, including but not limited to:

• access to Swords Dance
  • higher Attack stat
  • Sand Veil
  • more expansive physical movepool
  • Rapid Spin
Sandshrew is pretty unexplored in the current metagame, but shows plently of potential to preform well. As such, I believe Sandshrew is the the perfect candidate for out first Research Week.
Supporting that, SD Shrew is pretty epic.

I'd like to nominate Rattata for the first research week.

Rattata is severely underrated, as it looks extremely similar to Tailow, with guts and u-turn and normal stab, but looks inferior due to less speed and no secondary STAB.

But Rattata functions like Stunky as well as like Tailow. with access to sucker punch and pursuit, as well as u-turn, quick attack, a strong stab in return, decent secondary options in reversal and endeavor and with guts activated, 22 attack and 17 speed. Rattata's only flaw is terrible defenses along with burn damage will stack up quickly, so it can only preform it's duties once or twice.

I'm supporting Numel. Yep. Reasons stated, Simple is pretty awesome and is something I, and probably 100% of all little cup players, have never tinkered with. Simple is pretty awesome, and It's STABs have coverage only resisted by (correct me) Mantyke/Wingull.

It also looks sleepy and adorable.

Also, Simple is pretty awesome.

EDIT: Oh, yeah. Can we comment on nominated pokemon right now? Other than the one we nominated?

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Dracoyoshi8, the leader of this project, has decided that he wants the LC community to research Numel for its first research week. He will post the thread at his earliest convenience. Thanks so much to everyone who participated in the nominations!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)