Metagame Linked

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
if you link feint with endure, then smeargle is only capable of taking out 1 pokemon, while endeavor + attack swellow can sweep through an entire
team
also all barbs users are grass type and therefore cannot be spored
Garchomp-Mega has Rough Skin, I meant all equivalent abilities.
Feint is so they cannot use Spiky Shield/Baneful Bunker on you.

Boomburst may be better than Return for the odd Substitute users. I see your point, maybe Endure is to be separate than the link and just Endeavor + Infestation. Infestation the following turn (this works if they have a healing Berry).

Last edited:
if you link feint with endure, then smeargle is only capable of taking out 1 pokemon, while endeavor + attack swellow can sweep through an entire
team
if your opponent has no prio, barbs, ghosts, or anything faster than +1 smeargle, then smeargle will be able to put 1 mon to sleep, kill 1 mon, and bring 1 mon down to 1 hp, while if the same conditions apply for Swellow, it will completely sweep the opponent

I'm not sure if this was mentioned before, but here it is:
Charizard (M) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Roost
- Flame Charge
- Dragon Claw
So literally the point is for one pokemon to get up the sticky webs and let this mon sweep.
Belly drum down to 50% and watch roost heal you back up to full health.
Flame charge once to outspeed those pokemon in the air.
Then sweep.

Well, the month is over, and I had fun. Here's a team I used that isn't quite like anything else I encountered, but demonstrates the viability of bulky offense / semistall in the meta.

The team isn't designed to live forever -- it either wins by picking off everything Shedinja can't counter, setting up with Mega Gyarados, or counter-sweeping with Ditto. This usually involves making a few trades, so don't bend over backwards preserving everything. The team can deal with pretty much every relevant threat in the meta one way or another, so if this gets another go at OMOTM before the next rotation, I encourage you to give it a whirl.

Shedinja counters miscellaneous threats that might otherwise make a fat team balk, like Zygarde, Mega Lopunny, Clefable, Tapu Koko, Xurkitree, and Magearna. A Swords Dance set doesn't turn Shedinja into a powerful mon, but that kind of damage output is necessary to keep it from being too passive. Secret Power is chosen as the main attack because it's Sheddy's only move that doesn't make contact, meaning that it can click its link without fear of Rocky Helmet users coming in on the switch, and it doesn't need Protective Pads so Focus Sash becomes available.

Tapu Fini is one of two defoggers, and it has the benefit of setting up Misty Terrain to ease the matchup vs. status users, especially Heatran. Its defensive typing is very fortuitous for its matchup vs. a lot of threats. Surf + Moonblast actually 2HKOs most of the meta outside of fat steels, and Taunt lets it actually turn the tide on hazard setters. It doesn't live long enough to make use of Leftovers, so Iapapa Berry lets it take an extra hit or two as a surprise, which is incredibly useful. I'm very surprised that I didn't see it on other teams, since its utility goes far beyond supporting Shedinja.

Klefki exists mostly as an emergency Defogger that can get one off vs most of the meta, in a pinch. Getting off one sacrificial Defog to let Shedinja come back in has won the game for me multiple times. It uses a Thunder Wave + Swagger as an additional emergency measure -- while screens are popular on Klefki, I prefer to use it as a way to minimize the opponent's chances of attacking or setting up Trick Room. It can't do much to Dark-types, but Tapu Fini counters most of them anyways, so they make a good team.

Ditto is Ditto. With setup being as strong as it is in this meta, and Shedinja sometimes being unavailable, the team can't expect to counter every sweeper on its own merits, so Scarf Ditto is there to patch up any holes. It doesn't serve to dissuade the opponent from setting up, since they often can't avoid it, which is honestly just as good.

Heatran patches up the team's susceptibility to Electric-types with Fire coverage, Psychic spam, and powerful Grass-types. Chople Berry lets it function as the best Psychic and Bulu check it can, assisted by Flash Cannon; Lava Plume is just a spammable move to link with it. You won't get a burn if Misty Terrain is up, but it's still definitely worth it. Rocks are good sometimes but not worth it if you want to Defog. Last slot is free so do whatever.

Mega Gyarados defensively checks a lot of the same stuff Tapu Fini does, so if the opponent overloads Fini, it can often come in right afterwards. But more importantly, it's an incredibly deadly sweeper that can either prey on weakened teams to clean up or force the opponent to use up things that might otherwise check Shedinja. Pre-Mega, it's also a Ground immunity that's more expendable than Shedinja. It has Moxie over Intimidate even though it almost always Mega-Evos right away, because otherwise Bisharp is a pain.

Last edited:

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
In the midst of a dead thread, I just wanna congratulate Linked for having 79865 number of plays, which is the second highest number of plays in gen 7 after Shared Power in terms of OMotM. In my opinion this is an achievement because it proves that people actually play the meta, despite people hating or loving it. So, congratulations.
This is really neat, and I wish I had been a bit more involved during the stay as OMOTM. My thoughts on bans started and ended at Unburden, but there were still some kinks to be worked out.

I have done it. I have made the worst thing ever.
Clefairy @ Berry Juice
Ability: Magic Guard
Level: 1
IVs: 0 Atk
- Recycle
- Endure
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
Guaranteed 16 turns on the field. Period.

Last edited:
ˆ
Try that on something with Prankster?

In the midst of a dead thread, I just wanna congratulate Linked for having 79865 number of plays, which is the second highest number of plays in gen 7 after Shared Power in terms of OMotM. In my opinion this is an achievement because it proves that people actually play the meta, despite people hating or loving it. So, congratulations.
Linked was awesome, glad to see it got a lot of play.

u ded boy (Wobbuffet) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Destiny Bond
- Encore

...You know why I did this.

I'm loving the Swoobat

Setup Supreme (Swoobat) @ Leftovers
Ability: Simple
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpAtk / 4 Spd
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Roost
- Air Slash

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post in a thread this old, but I've been playing Linked in ROM lately and I'm loving it, so I wanted to share this:

Toxapex @ Life Orb
Ability: Merciless
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Toxic
- Venoshock
- Recover
- Surf/Scald/Ice Beam

A 130 BP move that always crits. Even coming out of 53 base SpA, it does good damage and ignores defensive stat changes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)