Metagame Linked

So are we at a consensus that Zygarde is once again one of the best Pokemon in an OM, possibly busted?
This meta very offensive. Zygarde like many other threats is tough to deal with once set up. Focus sash deals with the dragon dance set. Its a good idea to plan ahead to stop it from setting up. Its no find harder to deal with than volcarona, shell smash cloyster, dragon dance charzard.

Reactions: Ivy
I played this metagame for a while, and achieved some success on the ladder. I reached top #2 and #3. I haven't seen many creative sets recently, so I'll just drop my team here.

linked.JPG

I'm #2 and #3 on the ladder. Edit: I'm top 1 now.
Weavile @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Ice Shard

Klefki @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Thunder Wave
- Defog

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 64 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Roost

Zygarde @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Toxic
- Extreme Speed

Kartana @ Steelium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 19 Atk
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike

Greninja-Ash @ Splash Plate
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- Ice Beam

A simple brainless hyper offensive team, but it works really well. I have three mons with "boost+attack" link and a priority move to deal with faster threats. I run two knock off pokemons because knock off can take down the opponent's red cards, and prevent me from being forced out. Klefki is my only pivot pokemon. It is not weak to common priorities so I can always get dual screens on. thunder wave can slow down lopunny, kartana and volcarona, so my setup sweeper can deal with them. However this set is weak to sharpedo, we can run play rough > defog on klefki if it's a big problem. Timid kartana can get +2 atk and +1 spe boost when knocking off an opponent. Steelium Z can kill unaware clefable and volcarona at +2. Greninja with surf+hydro pump link can have 200 BP in one turn. only a few pokemon can suffer from the huge damage.

Threats:
Curse Ferrothorn, Bulk up buzzwole, bulk up tapu bulu. Scarf ditto or some scarf trick sets.

Last edited:
If echoed voice is in a link, will it boost up in power as usual or will the chain be broken every turn because of the other move in the link?

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
If echoed voice is in a link, will it boost up in power as usual or will the chain be broken every turn because of the other move in the link?
Not sure whether or not this would be affected by the code. Seems like a novel thing to test if anyone has the time!

Just tested it on Showdown. Echoed Voice does boost in power.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7linked-733831188
Unfortunately, metronome doesn't give boost to either move.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7linked-733832465 (with Metronome)
Really cool. I suspect this kind of set wouldn't work:

1523919403909.png

Plusle @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Echoed Voice
- Copycat
- Agility
- Discharge

Because Echoed Voice would only boost once per turn?

So does anyone else absolutely hate dealing with Mega Lopunny? A 4 HP/252+ Atk/252 Speed set with PuP, Last Resort, and Fake Out in that order can just trash an inordinate amount of stuff in one hit, and most of the rest goes in two, the rest rest are some very specific bulky/defense steels/rocks. To put it in context, Unaware Pyukumuku gets guaranteed 2HKO'd by the combo without rocks, and thus is forced to burn Recover PP until Lop runs out of Last Resort, and it cannot switch in except as revenge. Besides this, your options are a very specific Mega Beedrill set that very easily gets ganked by basically the rest of the meta, or Trick Room, from my playing. So you have three options, two of which are running something that will have their potential greatly reduced and one of those requires either a free turn or a sacrifice, or an entire team format that really isn't something you can just pick up and play. So really, full accessibility in this meta is gated behind learning a mechanic that takes time to master, probably more time than this meta will be around.

For a format that's getting its attention as an OMotM, it's really not a healthy influence, and annoying as fuck to fight.

So does anyone else absolutely hate dealing with Mega Lopunny? A 4 HP/252+ Atk/252 Speed set with PuP, Last Resort, and Fake Out in that order can just trash an inordinate amount of stuff in one hit, and most of the rest goes in two, the rest rest are some very specific bulky/defense steels/rocks. To put it in context, Unaware Pyukumuku gets guaranteed 2HKO'd by the combo without rocks, and thus is forced to burn Recover PP until Lop runs out of Last Resort, and it cannot switch in except as revenge. Besides this, your options are a very specific Mega Beedrill set that very easily gets ganked by basically the rest of the meta, or Trick Room, from my playing. So you have three options, two of which are running something that will have their potential greatly reduced and one of those requires either a free turn or a sacrifice, or an entire team format that really isn't something you can just pick up and play. So really, full accessibility in this meta is gated behind learning a mechanic that takes time to master, probably more time than this meta will be around.

For a format that's getting its attention as an OMotM, it's really not a healthy influence, and annoying as fuck to fight.
I just use Klefki with prankster thunder wave. Or red card. It's scary but not especially so for this meta and very frail.

Lopunny is not a threat in the least if you have not Mega Evolved, and you can't revert to block Thunder Wave. Someone also mentioned Cofagrigus in the OM Room, which instantly forces PuP+Last Resort Lopunny out, and can in fact punish sets that utilize High Jump Kick and Copycat. Prankster Tailwind also lets you outpace Lopunny, and Lopunny in general has zero recourse for priority.

252 SpA Mystic Water Greninja-Ash Water Shuriken (20 BP) (3 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Lopunny-Mega in Rain: 207-246 (76.3 - 90.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

That all being said, Lopunny is absolutely dangerous and if you don't have something for it you can and will be swept, but I still find Zygarde to be a much more dangerous threat (Iron Tail gibs Bulu, it's not an answer).

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
I like Feint + Endure Linked Smeargle with Salac Berry.

Throw in Endeavor and Spore, and only Ghosts can stop him.

Feint and Endure have +2 Priority, allowing you to survive with Endure, Activate Salac Berry and use Spore at 410 Speed (M-Lopunny is 405). Then Endeavor it, on their switch in, or their sleep and follow up with Feint + Endure.

I use Shedinja. It hard-counters Lop, non-Toxic Zygarde, Koko, non-Flamethrower Clefable, Manaphy, and Magearna. Kartana, Jirachi, Mega Scizor, and most Psychic-types can, at least, be pivoted into and either burnt or Shadow Sneaked. It's actually dope, try it out. With good hazard control, of course. It's not, like, splashable, though.

Reactions: Ivy
Fury cutter does get the boost, however I believe.
Yeah but only Samurott and Lucario get the combo. No stab and no crazy good mons.

Maybe on webs but even then I don't think this would be feared:

1524170353891.png

Lucario @ Insect Plate
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fury Cutter
- Copycat
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed

So turn 1 fury cutter base 40 and doubles to fury cutter base 80.
Turn 2 fury cutter base 160 base 160.

Like that's strong but this meta is crazy and that's not that great. Lucario could have done swords dance closecombat link instead or something.

OK I am an atrocious teambuilder but I have thought of a half-way viable use of the copycat move. Rollout.

This is my baby:

1524175305761.png

Sudowoodo @ Wide Lens
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rollout
- Copycat
- Defense Curl
- Sucker Punch

A little reminder of the mechanics of Rollout:
"Rollout deals damage for 5 turns, doubling in power each turn. The move stops if it misses on any turn. If it doesn't miss, Rollout will deal 30, 60, 120, 240 and 480 base power damage each turn respectively."

"If the user has used Defense Curl in any previous turn (without switching out) then Rollout doubles in power, i.e. it will deal 60, 120, 240, 480 and 960 base power damage respectively. "[PokemonDB]

Basically set up trick-room and use your link.

Really the first two moves are the only moves that are kind of necessary. You will hardly ever have a chance to use defence curl and really the extra boost doesn't seem worth the chance to set up. Last move is completely free.

Wide lens is needed on this set as missing drops your power much more than any boosting item ever could.

Here is a terrible team of mine using it: https://pokepast.es/edff866edad5a5c7

Here is a replay: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7linked-735283332
E.g. The roll on Kartana was 12%, 26%, 51%, KO

Better example game. Got a bit lucky. Although I was fighting the only protect mega-beedrill I've seen since gen6:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7linked-735306603

Last edited:

bp scrub

rub a dub dub one scrub in a tub
I like Feint + Endure Linked Smeargle with Salac Berry.

Throw in Endeavor and Spore, and only Ghosts can stop him.

Feint and Endure have +2 Priority, allowing you to survive with Endure, Activate Salac Berry and use Spore at 410 Speed (M-Lopunny is 405). Then Endeavor it, on their switch in, or their sleep and follow up with Feint + Endure.
Swellow @ Protective Pads/Salac Berry
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Endeavor
- Return
- Substitute/Tailwind
- Endure/Tailwind

swelllow does essentially the same thing, except is able to sweep through multiple mons, hits ghosts, and is faster/not weak to barbs/rough skin/rocky helmet

Last edited:
Those aren't ever affected by Power Herb; it only activates charge-up moves like Sky Attack. You can, though, use hyper beam in slot 1 and nullify your move in slot 2, letting you spam one hyper beam per turn anyways.
Even with spam every turn, hyper beam variants are usually outclassed by dual stab such as Hyper Voice+Moonblast being better than Hyper Beam on M-Gardevoir.

One of the ways I get around this is with M-Alakazam with a dual stab link; M-Alakazam plain outspeeds it without Tailwind and KO's.
Also outspeeds M-Beedrill and Tapu Koko, and it can KO or almost KO Clefable before it boosts.
Trace is useful, too, depending on what you trace.
Calcs on Defensive Lopuuny (which doesn't exist):
252 SpA Alakazam-Mega Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Lopunny-Mega: 246-290 (73.6 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Alakazam-Mega Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lopunny-Mega: 272-324 (81.4 - 97%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Calcs on Alakazam if Lopunny has priority:
252+ Atk Lopunny-Mega Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Alakazam-Mega: 106-126 (42.2 - 50.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Lopunny-Mega Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Alakazam-Mega: 96-114 (38.2 - 45.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+3 252 Atk Lopunny-Mega Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Alakazam-Mega: 238-282 (94.8 - 112.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
Extremely small chance for Alakazam to go down to Fake Out+Quick Attack if Adamant with no attack boosts.
Needs at least +3 to KO Alakazam with Quick Attack on full.
Just don't switch it into Last Resort.

Calcs on Clefable:
252 SpA Alakazam-Mega Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 201-237 (51 - 60.1%) -- 88.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Alakazam-Mega Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 144-171 (36.5 - 43.4%) -- 99.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Alakazam-Mega Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clefable: 142-168 (36 - 42.6%) -- 94.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Alakazam-Mega Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Clefable: 211-249 (53.5 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
Just to share two set i really like:

Starmie @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Psychic
- Trick

The best hazard control if you play with Shuckle. It keep hazard on ennemy side but clean your even if u have web on your side because starmie have hight speed. With that you can also cripple a link with Trick and surprise sometime (or simply revenge) your opponent with your scarf.

Blacephalon @ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball
- Flame Charge
- Taunt

Hight Speed and Hight Sp. Atk. A good average mon but he shine on my team against Trick Room Setter. Psychic one are weak to Shadow ball and Magearna is weak to Flamethrower. If you manage to kill one of them, you snowball and basically win. If not, you switch and wait the end on trick and do again. Eventually you will grab a kill. Taunt help against obvious Red Card Trick Room Setter (Carbink or Mimikyu for ex).

Last edited:

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Swellow @ Protective Pads/Salac Berry
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Endeavor
- Return
- Substitute/Tailwind
- Endure/Tailwind

swelllow does essentially the same thing, except is able to sweep through multiple mons, hits ghosts, and is faster/not weak to barbs/rough skin/rocky helmet
No. Anything faster than it wins (I.e. Aerodactyl, Lopunny-Mega, Etc.) that’s why I put Salac Berry on my Smeargle, as it is guaranteed to use Endure first, hitting right after with Feint, outspeeding anything with Quick Attack, or a slower (after Salac) Pokémon with Extreme Speed.

Spore also means it won’t have to use Endeavor right after Endure. It can Endure+Feint to trigger Salac, then Spore, and Endeavor the foe.
Smeargle stops 2 Pokemon at once with Spore, then Endeavor on the switch. Your Swellow is weak to Priority. So for example if someone sends in a priority user after I use Endeavor on their switch, I will be able to Endure + Feint to outspeed their Quick Attack. Smeargle can Spore a Barbs user.

You did list Salac and Protective Pads, but what about a foe’s Priority?

If you want to be efficient, give it Focus Sash and now you won’t need Endure and you can put Endeavor and Boomburst as your link to bypass Substitute, with Quick Attack and Agility or Tailwind. Avoid Stealth Rocks, but benefit from a 1-2 Punch! Breaks Sturdy, and Focus Sash/Substitute.
Before you say: Sash is 1X use, so is your Salac and Swellow after Stealth Rocks while it’s at 1 HP.

Last edited:

bp scrub

rub a dub dub one scrub in a tub
No. Anything faster than it wins (I.e. Aerodactyl, Lopunny-Mega, Etc.) that’s why I put Salac Berry on my Smeargle, as it is guaranteed to use Endure first, hitting right after with Feint, outspeeding anything with Quick Attack, or a slower (after Salac) Pokémon with Extreme Speed.

Spore also means it won’t have to use Endeavor right after Endure. It can Endure+Feint to trigger Salac, then Spore, and Endeavor the foe.
Smeargle stops 2 Pokemon at once with Spore, then Endeavor on the switch. Your Swellow is weak to Priority. So for example if someone sends in a priority user after I use Endeavor on their switch, I will be able to Endure + Feint to outspeed their Quick Attack. Smeargle can Spore a Barbs user.
if you link feint with endure, then smeargle is only capable of taking out 1 pokemon, while endeavor + attack swellow can sweep through an entire
team
if your opponent has no prio, barbs, ghosts, or anything faster than +1 smeargle, then smeargle will be able to put 1 mon to sleep, kill 1 mon, and bring 1 mon down to 1 hp, while if the same conditions apply for Swellow, it will completely sweep the opponent
also all barbs users are grass type and therefore cannot be spored

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)