Implemented Lifting Managerial Bans for Previously Tourbanned Users

Status
Not open for further replies.
I write this with full sincerity.

According to a post by the head TD, we can forgive tournament bans if they are ancient enough. Troller was tourbanned in 2018 and is going to be a TD. That is fine.

However, if a 2018 ban is overlooked for the leaders of tours, I’d like to propose that 2017 actions can be overlooked for a lesser position: team manager.

For example, I believe users like CrashinBoomBang and bruno should be allowed to manage future team tours. They have been spotless since their misstep, like Troller, and we should give them another chance.

Please, for everyone’s sake, respond to this thread thoughtfully instead of deleting for no reason. Thank you.

Last edited:
This community is way too small to have such rigid rules and policies. This is one example of where such policies fall flat. Indefinitely banning people from managing for something that happened years ago is just silly. Maybe make it a year or two ban, and after that have it be up to TD discretion.

I'm pretty sure CBB and anti are the only people this policy really applies to, and both of them are great community members nowadays. No reason to block them from managing for something that happened years ago, especially when we let one of the most prolific cheaters of all time (Bouff) manage in a tournament just last year.

bruno

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
since this is being brought up i just wanna say i wrote this to the TDs a couple months ago and never got a response, i understand it may not add much but still feel the need to bring it up because ya, its something ive had in my head for a while now:

ty! Ok so the appeal in this case is the permanent ban posted in this thread: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...trative-decisions.3614029/page-2#post-7733059
I would appreciate if it the TD team could reconsider the perma. I have been patiently waiting to talk about this but this ban has ocurred 4 years ago now. Smogon as a whole was entirely different, and the first tournament I ever had that i saw no correlation to ghosting whatsoever was the tournament right after, when I managed the SPL9 Wolfpack alongside TonyFlygon. In this same tournament i was clean and never encouraged ghosting of any kind(and this can be proven if you ask any of the players involved on this team), which also proves that I can and will be more responsible with this matter. But regardless even if i didn't, I have had more than enough time to reconsider what I did and as someone who's known to suffer through anxiety when playing tournaments, have suffered quite a bit without the chance to manage, since i still enjoy the tournament community a lot and want to be involved with it. Ever since coming back from my ban(which i quietly waited for, because I know I was completely in the wrong), I have been as clean as possible and in general have tried my best to stay away from any kind of ghosting, because I don't wanna risk something like that happening again, and again you can ask any of the recent teams from team tournaments i've been in for this. Like I said, smogon was just a completely different culture back then. Nowadays i barely even hear of ghosting allegations in general, although maybe it is just me being unaware of certain situations.

Regardless, without going in circles over and over the point i want to come across is the following: I cheated in a now dead tournament, in a different time, i haven't done any kind of cheating in forever, and I would love to have the chance to manage tournaments again. I'm an active member of the community, I follow tournaments very closely, I have pretty deep knowledge of about every tier's playerbase, and I would give my heart out for a great team environment if I had a shot to try it all again. It is such a pain to have a permament manager ban because I don't know what i am supposed to do. I have had the urge to manage multiple times but there's just no options for me, for something from almost half a decade ago with an entirely different personal mindset and community. Should i just consider alting and starting over smogon entirely just because i want to manage? Does it really have to be this harsh of a decision? I would appreciate the current TDs to reconsider this situation, and even if I am to not be unbanned in the near future, I would like to at least hear of a possible unban date somewhere down the line. Thanks for reading.

This community is way too small to have such rigid rules and policies. This is one example of where such policies fall flat. Indefinitely banning people from managing for something that happened years ago is just silly. Maybe make it a year or two ban, and after that have it be up to TD discretion.
This is a pretty dangerous road to go down I think, just because a community is small doesn't mean you lessen the punishment for cheating lol. Rigid policies are still required, especially with how easy it is to theoretically cheat. I'd argue they're needed even more, as it takes that much less to rip up a smaller community. I don't think there was anything silly about the indefinite ban at the time either. Dudes ruined a tournament for everyone and encouraged ghosting which was well out of the smogon norm by then. Punishment for an offense this big relative to any other competition would've led to a lifetime ban. Also fwiw, the troller incident was a lotttt smaller compared to the one with cbb and bruno even if the position in question is a lot less important. That being said I've got nothing against CBB or Bruno and think they'd be fine managers - sorry to play devils advocate a bit. Just wanted to point out objectively, this bit of starrys post is kinda nonsense to me. Subjectively, I agree with the OP, free them both. It's been ages and from my limited experience w them they're cool. Obviously all decisions will be somewhat subjective but I don't think making policies more flexible is the answer at all.

Also a less important thought... Idk how exactly the TD team goes about revisiting stuff but the rate at which TDs are changing, having new TDs re-evaluate old punishments seems unideal. Imagine new TDs trying to evaluate a situation from 2019 about people they've never/barely ever interacted with. These situations are overall a lot rarer than before obv but yea. I don't have a solution and maybe it's just me, but new TDs continuously revisiting old punishments doesn't sound great.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Following discussion among the TD team, managerial bans will now be considered indefinite rather than permanent. Appeals will be considered on a case by case basis, judging based on the severity of the actions that led to a ban from managing, behavior since the ban, and amount of time that has passed.

Appeals should be sent via private message to the current head TD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)