Metagame LGPE Anything Goes

Rag

"aaaaaaaahhhh!"
I'm eeeeeeeeeehhhh on the ladder, not been playing for year but this metagame got me interested again and I've been enjoying it a lot. Currently 3rd but having a hard time finding high ranked opponents. Thought I'd break down the team I've been using and hopefully see more players with better teams.

Alakazam-Mega @ Alakazite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 200 HP / 200 Def / 200 SpD / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Seismic Toss
- Taunt
- Disable
- Recover

Magneton
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 200 HP / 200 Def / 200 SpA / 200 SpD / 200 Spe
Calm Nature
- Reflect
- Thunder
- Flash Cannon
- Rest

Eevee-Starter
Ability: Run Away
EVs: 200 HP / 200 Atk / 200 Def / 200 SpA / 200 SpD / 200 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sizzly Slide
- Sparkly Swirl
- Sappy Seed
- Glitzy Glow

Aerodactyl
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 200 HP / 200 Atk / 200 Def / 200 SpD / 200 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Roar

Exeggutor
Ability: Chlorophyll
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Leech Seed
- Mega Drain
- Rest

Mewtwo
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Psychic
- Recover
- Taunt

Nothing fancy, nor is it perfect. For instance, some sets of Melmetal and Rhydon are a big pain in the butt to switch into. However, since everything is so bulky it's not particularly hard to play around any threat, scout out their moveset, and adjust on the fly. Having 6 Pokémon that can help me execute my gameplan is far more important in my experience.

Grass types are the bulky water of LGPE, and I wouldn't build a team without one. This team is built to kill opposing Eevee and Grass Pokémon as 1) Eevee is the biggest roadblock to stall, and 2) Opposing Grass Pokémon causes issues for my Eevee, too. Blocking Sappy Seed means that Eevee is on a short timer with Stealth Rocks up, moreso than if I didn't run a Grass type. I like Exeggutor over Mega Venusaur personally. It can switch in on Mega Venusaur and win if I put up Glitzy Glow, and Mega Venusaur isn't particularly keen on switching into it in the first place so it can provide some Leech Seed healing for other Pokémon (usually Eevee), and most importantly it lets me use another Mega. I like Tangela too, it's better against Exeggutor and recovers a lot more HP from Mega Drain/Leech Seed. Unfortunately Exeggutor isn't very common.

Mega Alakazam checks all Mewtwo sets really well, being faster than even Mewtwo Y, Taunting Will-o-Wisp/Recover/Calm Mind/Bulk Up/Substitute shenanigans and Disabling Shadow Ball/Earthquake/Facade. Considering you can run multiple Mewtwo in this meta and that he has a variety of options, having a Pokémon that does well against them all is extremely valuable since it's by far the most prominent threat in the metagame. It also beats Alolan Muk 1vs1 unless it carries double STAB but even if it does it's not getting past Mewtwo. Once Eevee is gone and Stealth Rock is up, these two are incredibly hard to break through and forces a lot of switches.

Magneton checks Aerodactyl, Zapdos, Dodrio, and most Melmetals. Thunder > Thunderbolt for paralysis so Aerodactyl can't stall out your Thunderbolts and to break a Zapdos Substitute and get in a faster Taunter on a Roost. Also beats Venusaur 1vs1 if it comes down to it, and doesn't have to worry about Para or Toxic. Been considering running Thunderbolt as well just because Thunder's accuracy could cost me the match vs a Cloyster or Omastar.

Roar Aerodactyl beats those pesky multiple Venomoth teams that appear once every blue moon. Not having a phazer is a death sentence versus Minimize as well, specifically Screech Muk.

Feel free to give it a spin.

Rag

"aaaaaaaahhhh!"
Just gonna throw in my thoughts on the viability rankings:

Mega Alakazam >S tier

Best speed tier + Encore in such a tanky meta is really difficult to stop. Between that, Disable, and Taunt it's in my opinion the best Mega.

Mega Aero > S tier

Another really solid Mega, tied for the fastest Pokémon in the meta. Taunt/Toxic/Roost/Rock Slide stalls out the majority of the meta, Reflect > Toxic reliably beats Melmetal and Rhydon. A bit underused since regular Aero is still really good and it's commonly used for rocks but potent nonetheless.

Snorlax > A tier

Screech beats those fat Substitute sets that think they can outstall you, while Body Slam makes it a good emergency check for Mega Alakazam/Mega Aero/Mewtwo Y. Headbutt is nice sometimes too, although I prefer Facade and Rest for the last slots.

Mega Venusaur > S tier, Exeggutor and Venusaur > A tier

Despite how good some other Megas are, having the bulkier Grass type generally means your Eevee/Grass core will survive longer. Regular Venusaur and Exeggutor are perfectly viable options too. Exeggutor can prevent Mega Venusaur from trying to block Leech Seed due to Psychic but does worse versus Eevee. Regular Venusaur is outperformed by Mega Venusaur but is still faster than Eevee and you can still make it hold the Mega Stone in case you need it.

Less meta pokés:

Venomoth is a bit overrated and probably belongs in B tier along with Cloyster and Omastar who are equally intimidating.

Magneton is really easy to switch in and is very hard to take down. Can use Toxic, TWave, Screens, or Rest to kill turns. At the very least B tier since I consider everything below unusable.

Clefable Encore+TWave makes it arguably the best poké vs (Taunt-less) Mewtwo X. Minimize shenanigans is also a autowin if the opponent isn't prepared for it, plus a variety of utility options. Either bottom A or top B imo.

Alolan Marowak is one of the few Ghost types in the meta, gets rocks, and can actually take on Melmetal to some extent. Usable but just barely. Bottom B?

edit:

Forgot about Kingler. It's dumb, I'll just show you:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7letsgosinglesnorestrictions-843445254

Not quite an accurate representation of the Pokémon but as you can see it's not very difficult to bring into battle and you have a roughly 1/3 chance to eliminate something from the battle each attempt. Got Amnesia as well to set up in a pinch but didn't see the need to here and would feel dirty bringing it into ranked again just to grab another replay. The best play against it is usually to bring in Venusaur to minimize the amount of attempts Kingler gets to attack by threatening with a Sleep or the 2HKO. You can technically stay in and get 3 attempts to take it out of the battle if they don't run max Speed. It almost makes running a Ghost mandatory but Crabhammer still hurts. Please don't use this thing. It is very good though.

Note to self, Venusaur should run 0 speed when using Rest.

Last edited:
New player; looking to make a wifi/cartridge team.

Any suggestions on building with a jolly mew?

It seems my options are bulk up, stealth rock, and/or taunt builds. I'm assuming I really want a mewtwo on my team and was leaning towards a taunt or CM sweep mewtwo. I also plan on having a melmetal.

Back to the jolly mew, here are a few of my ideas.

Stealth rock / roost / u-turn / will-o-wisp or toxic or ice punch or EQ.

Bulk up / roost / dragon tail / will-o-wisp or toxic or ice punch or EQ.

Taunt / roost / will-o-wisp or toxic / dragon tail or ice punch or EQ.

Grain of salt: I haven't played online in any format yet. Any criticism is appreciated

It’s good to see this mirroring cart a bit more. If anyone is curious, I’ve found a few tricks to counter Mewtwo. You mainly have to reserve Mega Evolving anything early. Typically I use M Alakazaam since it can win toe to toe with both Mewtwos with Calm Mind, so you must remove Alakazaams counters. However, you can use Gyarados, but don’t Mega Evolve against Mewtwo since most opponents believe you will, they try to hit you with either Brick Break or Earthquake, both of which Gyarados will resist or be immune to. Then you can mind game them by Mega Evolving if you think they’ll use Psychic next. Typically I’ll thunder wave with Gyarados as a fail safe against Mewtwo.

T
Just gonna throw in my thoughts on the viability rankings:

Mega Alakazam >S tier

Best speed tier + Encore in such a tanky meta is really difficult to stop. Between that, Disable, and Taunt it's in my opinion the best Mega.

Mega Aero > S tier

Another really solid Mega, tied for the fastest Pokémon in the meta. Taunt/Toxic/Roost/Rock Slide stalls out the majority of the meta, Reflect > Toxic reliably beats Melmetal and Rhydon. A bit underused since regular Aero is still really good and it's commonly used for rocks but potent nonetheless.

Snorlax > A tier

Screech beats those fat Substitute sets that think they can outstall you, while Body Slam makes it a good emergency check for Mega Alakazam/Mega Aero/Mewtwo Y. Headbutt is nice sometimes too, although I prefer Facade and Rest for the last slots.

Mega Venusaur > S tier, Exeggutor and Venusaur > A tier

Despite how good some other Megas are, having the bulkier Grass type generally means your Eevee/Grass core will survive longer. Regular Venusaur and Exeggutor are perfectly viable options too. Exeggutor can prevent Mega Venusaur from trying to block Leech Seed due to Psychic but does worse versus Eevee. Regular Venusaur is outperformed by Mega Venusaur but is still faster than Eevee and you can still make it hold the Mega Stone in case you need it.

Less meta pokés:

Venomoth is a bit overrated and probably belongs in B tier along with Cloyster and Omastar who are equally intimidating.

Magneton is really easy to switch in and is very hard to take down. Can use Toxic, TWave, Screens, or Rest to kill turns. At the very least B tier since I consider everything below unusable.

Clefable Encore+TWave makes it arguably the best poké vs (Taunt-less) Mewtwo X. Minimize shenanigans is also a autowin if the opponent isn't prepared for it, plus a variety of utility options. Either bottom A or top B imo.

Alolan Marowak is one of the few Ghost types in the meta, gets rocks, and can actually take on Melmetal to some extent. Usable but just barely. Bottom B?

edit:

Forgot about Kingler. It's dumb, I'll just show you:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7letsgosinglesnorestrictions-843445254

Not quite an accurate representation of the Pokémon but as you can see it's not very difficult to bring into battle and you have a roughly 1/3 chance to eliminate something from the battle each attempt. Got Amnesia as well to set up in a pinch but didn't see the need to here and would feel dirty bringing it into ranked again just to grab another replay. The best play against it is usually to bring in Venusaur to minimize the amount of attempts Kingler gets to attack by threatening with a Sleep or the 2HKO. You can technically stay in and get 3 attempts to take it out of the battle if they don't run max Speed. It almost makes running a Ghost mandatory but Crabhammer still hurts. Please don't use this thing. It is very good though.

Note to self, Venusaur should run 0 speed when using Rest.
I agree.

Do mixed attacking Mewtwos ever have a niche over full physical or full special ones? Why or why not? If yes, what would be a good mixed moveset?

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
Do mixed attacking Mewtwos ever have a niche over full physical or full special ones? Why or why not? If yes, what would be a good mixed moveset?
It's good on cart to be able to choose mega X or Y on the spot; Mewtwo usually carries Brick Break for fighting STAB because of this. Dedicated calm mind mega Y is also great, though.

It's good on cart to be able to choose mega X or Y on the spot; Mewtwo usually carries Brick Break for fighting STAB because of this. Dedicated calm mind mega Y is also great, though.
Do you know any good movesets for mixed Mewtwo?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)