Social LGBTQIA+

Fame

you know we're the same
is a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
It's been a long time since I posted here. I figured I'd write a post in the hopes that it might help somebody else feel less alone if they ever come across this in a time of need and need to relate to somebody. It's really heartwarming and amazing to see people here offering their support and help. It's a real reminder of how kind the queer community can be despite the hardships and disagreements. I can't express enough how amazing that is.

I've been queer for as long as I can remember. A lot of you will know what it's like to feel that aching difference that separates you from your family, friends and peers right from when you were a child and sometimes long into adulthood. I first came out as gay a long time ago. I don't need to preach to the choir about how it is being gay. The unfortunate truth of being queer is that we exist at the intersection of many forms of discrimination.

As I get older, I'm trying to figure out why I continue to experience that ache after all of this time. It's one of the worst feelings in the world to feel alienated from the people around you on the basis of who you are. But it's so goddamn painful to feel alienated from yourself in tandem. Feeling content with your gender, how we present on a daily basis, and the roles that we take on often for the purpose of conforming, is something people take for granted. There are so many things to consider and account for when facing the jarring feelings of gender dysphoria and the possibility of being trans. How do you tell the people you know? Will you be safe? How will you find employment? How do you find a partner that's accepting of you entirely? What parts of yourself will you have to compromise? It's so vulnerable and embarrassing for many of us. The reality is that integral aspects of human life become uncertainties when you're queer. That ache of mine might never go away but for now I'm fine with just accepting that it's there.

It's so unfortunate that so many of us feel we have to bicker with people (especially people who aren't in our day to day lives) about who we are or explain ourselves at great lengths with flawless logic and counter arguments at the ready. They genuinely have no comprehension of how soul crushing and crippling it is to feel completely disconnected from the person you show as to not only others but also to yourself. I hope that one day this isn't necessary for us.

It's perfectly fine to have ambiguous, conflicted and sometimes painful feelings about your identity. Being a human is really fucking confusing and illogical as is. Being queer is barely the tip of that iceberg and nobody has it fully figured out.

You deserve to live life without giving explanations for your existence and experience the same unapologetic sincerity that other people live their lives with. One day you will experience those same sacred moments you see other people in this world experience, and it'll be great.

Stay safe babes :heart:

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It's an inevitable part of coming out: I've had a close friend and a family member ghost me. So this is what it feels like, and it sucks.

I've also been wondering if losing people might outweigh feeling good about myself. If that's the case, might transitioning not really be what I want? Or, if it is still what I want, how have you guys coped with losing people? I really don't know what to think.

Did my folks have a point all along in that all I really wanted was relationships?

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
I'm sorry to hear about your struggles, losing people that are important to you bc of this stuff happens to everyone eventually and it always stings.

ancient and oft-repeated advice but it's always worth reiterating; if your friends and family members are ghosting you as a result of coming out, then it's pretty clear that you weren't going to remain close anyway. it sucks to say it but you'd end up being too divided on political issues to get along at anything more than a surface level relationship.

it sucks to lose people, but people are everywhere. making new friends can be hard but it'll make you happier in the long run than trying to keep the old ones through living a lie, and it's probably easier than doing that anyway. you can also try talking some sense into the people that are ghosting you if you can grab a hold of them (going through a more accepting family member or friend can be a good way to do this) - minds are most often changed when it concerns someone that they care about. if they can't be changed, they probably weren't worth your time in the long run.

apologies if this is unhelpful, there's only so much advice i can give. only you can weigh your feelings at the end of the day. if nothing else though, please don't let other people dictate how you live your life. it will only make you more unhappy in the long run.

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm sorry to hear about your struggles, losing people that are important to you bc of this stuff happens to everyone eventually and it always stings.

ancient and oft-repeated advice but it's always worth reiterating; if your friends and family members are ghosting you as a result of coming out, then it's pretty clear that you weren't going to remain close anyway. it sucks to say it but you'd end up being too divided on political issues to get along at anything more than a surface level relationship.

it sucks to lose people, but people are everywhere. making new friends can be hard but it'll make you happier in the long run than trying to keep the old ones through living a lie, and it's probably easier than doing that anyway. you can also try talking some sense into the people that are ghosting you if you can grab a hold of them (going through a more accepting family member or friend can be a good way to do this) - minds are most often changed when it concerns someone that they care about. if they can't be changed, they probably weren't worth your time in the long run.

apologies if this is unhelpful, there's only so much advice i can give. only you can weigh your feelings at the end of the day. if nothing else though, please don't let other people dictate how you live your life. it will only make you more unhappy in the long run.
That was actually very motivating to hear; thank you! Both of these people did seem accepting of it at first; it might also be a shock b/c it's happening to someone so close to them. The plan is to give them their space for a little while; I will inevitably cross paths with them during the year b/c my parents are close with their families. Time will tell if they come around.

How they're handling it is, basically, "they're so worried about me that they are ghosting me". Both had said, privately, that they were extremely concerned, so perhaps I scared them a little. Shock value wears off over time, so I'm hopeful that it will do so here within the next few months.

And as for my own feelings, that's been a recurring theme. I keep saying I'm 99% sure that I am indeed trans, but there is still that 1% of doubt. Some of it comes from my folks/therapist; others come from my own tendency to second-guess myself. I'll figure this out eventually.

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
My relationship with my mom (who I considered someone I could trust with anything up to this point) has also been run into the ground after a series of infringements on my personal boundaries, re: gender identity. The same woman who co-owned a gay bar in the 90s, the same woman who tried dressing me in drag every year for Halloween when I was a kid.

The gag is I don’t need her for anything LMFAO so we’ll see when she comes back and tries again

Get y’all’s financial independence, get y’all’s therapist in order, get y’all’s local support system together; it’ll help, beyond.

posting here because i like this thread

is it valid to consider yourself male and also genderfluid? i ask bc a year or so back i felt very strongly that i was genderfluid, then i backpedaled a bit bc at the time i thought i was content just being male and using he/him as pronouns. now those feelings are starting to resurface again. i have a lot of discomfort surrounding my voice and body. i dont really know how to describe the feeling other than it being strange, and i dont really have any family or friends that id talk to about it. has anyone here had or is going through a similar experience?

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
posting here because i like this thread

is it valid to consider yourself male and also genderfluid? i ask bc a year or so back i felt very strongly that i was genderfluid, then i backpedaled a bit bc at the time i thought i was content just being male and using he/him as pronouns. now those feelings are starting to resurface again. i have a lot of discomfort surrounding my voice and body. i dont really know how to describe the feeling other than it being strange, and i dont really have any family or friends that id talk to about it. has anyone here had or is going through a similar experience?
It is a very weird feeling. To not experience any dysphoria about your maleness, but to recognize within yourself that there is more to you, a feminine part of you that must be expressed alongside the masculine to be authentic, yet to know that a lifetime of socialization and experience from a masculine perspective creates a distance from the lived experiences of FAAB persons as you try to incorporate new experiences to your life to express the wholeness of self. And yet not to resent the experiences of those others but to feel the loss of opportunity and the isolating distance of the feminine internal all the same. It's almost easier in a way if we were trans, purely for the certainty of self within that 'wrongness' of the host gender (setting aside the far greater and more severe practical concerns of discrimination), I've yet to find any coherent means to categorize my experience, falling back only on trying to act in ways that are authentic with who I am, shifting between masc and femme fluidly as my 'self' needs, though almost entirely with the privacy of my home. There are things that can be done to subtly affect the body to create a greater harmony, body hair, workout routines, etc, and ways to modulate the voice as well though those require a greater degree of caution. I hope for your sake that you have friends you can talk to if you need, I've had mixed results with the people I've shared my gender fluidity with; the vast majority response was indifference which is the basic level I require, but in a rare case there has been greater degrees of openness and acceptance and one case of full acceptance which feels largely freeing to be able to talk openly about something otherwise kept very private, knowing the ignorance pervading so many others. I wish I had a better response and a reassurance that the strangeness of everything made greater sense but that insight is yet hidden from me, for we walk a middle path, largely unexplored in the literature, with few guideposts to follow. My best advice is to follow the source of discomfort within yourself and find a path that allows you to act authentically, even if only to yourself when you are alone, and give yourself the time and space to think and meditate upon who you truly are, for that depth of self-understanding is the path (long and winding though it may be) to resolve all internal conflict and uncertainty.

They rly have no business calling themselves 'feminists' then lol
Correct, but totalitarians and their allies will always abuse language to mean its opposite. Fascists do this with all sorts of terms, like "free speech," and they do it with analogies too, like comparing pandemic measures to the Holocaust. The entire point is to eliminate meaning behind these words, strip them of power among a future population, and to market themselves to those who would otherwise be empowered from that language as it's plainly meant. Calling themselves "feminist" is little more than a recruiting tool for susceptible older women, and "free speech" was a recruiting tool for international and immigrant students from places where free expression is actually under assault. It's no secret that the vast majority of TERF support comes from older women even if a great deal of TERF content is coming from "Marxist" (another example of misappropriated language) far-right middle-aged millennials.

One of the early influential TERFs, Lierre Keith, was actually a prominent environmental activist who would go on to advocate mass murder as an environmental solution, and would even go on to advocate meat-eating after aligning behind the oil-soaked Koch network. IMO, Keith is a really good example of the connection between totalitarian, murderous ideologies in the West and ongoing transphobic movements. Keith and her associate Derrick Jensen are now really influential among ecofascists through their network Deep Green Resistance, which also demonstrates the intersection of antisemitism with transphobia.

My best friend's mother was actually a somewhat major (and now former and heavily critical) TERF, but differed from the leadership within the movement in that she was a True Believer in the propaganda. One of the wake-up calls for her was seeing how leadership was deeply aligned against feminist and LGBTQ2S movements, in part thanks to her children pushing back against it (her son, my best friend has always been an advocate for trans rights, and his best friend [me] and her daughter are bisexual). Pointing out the contradictions between TERFs' (stated) political mission and those of their allies is important to challenging the beliefs of their True Believers imo.

Last edited:
https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2023/01/gop-lawmaker-wants-force-young-trans-adults-de-transition/

And yet some self-proclaimed "leftist" on American Politics topic slams at the idea to call these republicans fascists. This is the next stage on the crusade against transgender people, whoever thought this would stop with trans teens healthcare, bathrooms & sports was at best naive.

And now these totalitarians even push bills to remove trans children from parents affirming them, totally not a measure to erase all trans identity from the country and eventually the world (/s), but certain people will keep defending this party and their staunch supporters as if they were even remotely democratic and on the ground of human rights.

https://www.thepinknews.com/2023/03...ns-youth-custody-gender-affirming-healthcare/

Edit: Here's also a speech blatantly saying what trans people have being trying to tell people for years:

Last edited:

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
hiiiiiii im rin and ive been slowly trying to come out over uh, the past while lol. i think most of this site knows im trans but there were other parts that i was hesitant to come out to. id try to like hint on it with my discord bio more and more or server names but it was only a few days ago that i changed my discord name to my name and i put pronouns in my bio after much encouragement from friends, some on this site some not on this site.
it was rly scary still and tbh people are slow to catch on but still, it feels so nice to really show who i am rather than hide it for like two-three plus years and i cant thank all my friends enough for it, ily all so much <3. honestly it was so unhealthy to be closeted for this long because of how id get frustrated yet could not fault anyone for any deadnaming or anything so i wish i listened to some of my friends sooner rather than get scared over whatever irrelevants finding out or smth lol.

i also decided i want to transition irl but i have no idea when i would be able to start. i expect to go back home around october for world cup along with other personal shit happening before then so these are not rly ideal times. i also know like 0 people irl who would have any knowledge on who to contact or what to do here to get hrt or how long the wait is so it feels like im on my own for now ;; . but i dont want to worry about that rn because i will get there eventually somehow i know it ><

my parents, after around a year of being out, have started gendering me correctly!! this is huge and im so happy :3
Congratulations! That's got to feel absolutely wonderful to have that type of validation, I'm really happy for you!

my parents refuse to correct themselves still after seven years
How do you like to be addressed pronoun-wise? Obviously none of our validations can compare to the validation that being gendered correctly by a parent can give, but it might help you feel a bit better if you talk about who you are here!

Congratulations! That's got to feel absolutely wonderful to have that type of validation, I'm really happy for you!

How do you like to be addressed pronoun-wise? Obviously none of our validations can compare to the validation that being gendered correctly by a parent can give, but it might help you feel a bit better if you talk about who you are here!
I use they/them first, but she/her is sometimes acceptable. I only use he/him in front of my parents because I know they'll get it wrong even after I ran away from home for a month, about two years ago. They didn't learn shit.

Last edited:
I keep hearing about this, and I was even banned from a Discord server I frequented for even bringing it up, but is this new wave of gender reassignment on youth a good thing? I see stories occasionally pop up about it going pretty poorly, and it makes me kind of question it. I don't strictly think that the surgery in general is a bad thing, opposite really, but it makes me question whether or not it should be done so young

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)