Social LGBTQIA+

It's so great that more and more countries legalize LGBTQ+ marriage and accept LGBTQ+ people. But some governments do the exact opposite. Russia's supreme court classified the "international LGBTQ+ movement" as "extremist" in november 2023. And now we have the first lawsuit/case based on this decision. The manager and the artistic director of an LGBTQ+ bar are in custody and will face a sentence of 10 years in prison if the court thinks they are "guilty".
It may be because I only met Russian immigrants but every Russian person I talked to has been accepting of LGBT, and I met like 20+ of em. The gov may be heavily against them, but that doesn't neccessarily correlate to the opinions of the poeple. Look at Turkey, used to very progressive until the turn of the millenium, where right wing parties have started to find voters in the large turkish diasporas. As the currently ruling right wing party has become more authoritive, less and less people were able to display acceptance and it has become a taboo topic in society

Another example would be Serbia, my parent's home country. The majority of the population isn't political and doesn't particularly care about whether someone's gay or not. It's the very loud, very right wing, political minority that's anti LGBT

j0nathan

formerly trainer_j0nathan
It may be because I only met Russian immigrants but every Russian person I talked to has been accepting of LGBT, and I met like 20+ of em. The gov may be heavily against them, but that doesn't neccessarily correlate to the opinions of the poeple. Look at Turkey, used to very progressive until the turn of the millenium, where right wing parties have started to find voters in the large turkish diasporas. As the currently ruling right wing party has become more authoritive, less and less people were able to display acceptance and it has become a taboo topic in society

Another example would be Serbia, my parent's home country. The majority of the population isn't political and doesn't particularly care about whether someone's gay or not. It's the very loud, very right wing, political minority that's anti LGBT
You are so right. I wasn't trying to frame the russian people, they are not the problem. (I'm sorry if my post implies that). Literally every russian/belarusian I personally know is an ally.
It's the government/people in charge who are the problem. It's pretty much impossible to demonstrate or say anything critical about the government in a totalitarian system like russia cause they'll just put you in prison.

Last edited:

Ren

i swore lips were made for lies
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It's so great that more and more countries legalize LGBTQ+ marriage and accept LGBTQ+ people. But some governments do the exact opposite. Russia's supreme court classified the "international LGBTQ+ movement" as "extremist" in november 2023. And now we have the first lawsuit/case based on this decision. The manager and the artistic director of an LGBTQ+ bar are in custody and will face a sentence of 10 years in prison if the court thinks they are "guilty".
not to get political but like russia of all governments doesn't have the right to declare anything a terrorist movement lmao even their own citizens (rightfully) hate them.

most people from russia who ive met are either accepting or lgbtq thenselves

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
not to get political but like russia of all governments doesn't have the right to declare anything a terrorist movement lmao even their own citizens (rightfully) hate them.

As with anywhere in the world: Most people don't care. Those who do care, become politicians.

This just isn't true, reliable polling indicates the majority of Russians support legal discrimination against sexual minorities. Russia's government actively promoted homophobic campaigns to take over school curricula in much the same way we are seeing in the United States. There is a multi-million dollar war chest used by the Russian government to promote homophobia and transphobia around the world. I'm sure the Russian people you know aren't concerned but Russia is an extremely homophobic society.

Ren

i swore lips were made for lies
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This just isn't true, reliable polling indicates the majority of Russians support legal discrimination against sexual minorities. Russia's government actively promoted homophobic campaigns to take over school curricula in much the same way we are seeing in the United States. There is a multi-million dollar war chest used by the Russian government to promote homophobia and transphobia around the world. I'm sure the Russian people you know aren't concerned but Russia is an extremely homophobic society.
I mean sure, but I wasn't rly talking about the society as a whole hence "people I've met" instead of most Russian people lmao. I'm sure your sources are accurate but I was talking about my personal experience :p

For those who have been doing HRT for a while, when did you notice any main tangible physical results?

I guess I should say that I’ve came out as trans female over a year ago and have been on HRT for over 9 months now. I’ve lost about 60/65 pounds throughout the course of my transition (started at 230 and now at ~165), and while I’ve definitely noticed some changes, I can’t tell if it’s from HRT or just the weight loss. My skin has definitely softened up, but all I see is MAN and I rarely get gender affirmed even when trying to pass.

For those who have been doing HRT for a while, when did you notice any main tangible physical results?

I guess I should say that I’ve came out as trans female over a year ago and have been on HRT for over 9 months now. I’ve lost about 60/65 pounds throughout the course of my transition (started at 230 and now at ~165), and while I’ve definitely noticed some changes, I can’t tell if it’s from HRT or just the weight loss. My skin has definitely softened up, but all I see is MAN and I rarely get gender affirmed even when trying to pass.
It's great seeing people grow from their TU days. Idk much about HRT but it might take a bit but you'll get to a spot where you recognise the real you in the mirror friendo <3

hiya! I totally get those feelings, I had similar confusion about what was changed, around 9 months or so and for a bit after that. It takes so much time and patience. I’m now sitting at a full 2 years and am MUCH happier with my results than I was at the point you’re at now - the changes are very gradual usually, so it takes time before you can really see them in yourself. I recommend taking regular progress photos, even (especially) when you don’t want to - seeing those differences later on the Bad Days can be staggering! You’ll get there, it just takes a while. It’s old fashioned advice now it seems, to say it’s like a second puberty, but it Is. You’re 9 months in, so you’re only still towards the beginning of a long period of gradual yet substantial change. it only gets better with time

im happy to go into further details or possibly even advice, but not in a smogon thread. feel free to hmu on discord tho! (robyn107)

j0nathan

formerly trainer_j0nathan
The german Bundestag (our parliament) finally passed the "Selbstbestimmungsgesetz" (Self-Determination Act). This is huge step. It will enforce on the 1st of november. Trans people can finally change their gender and first name without answering disgusting and degrading questions about intimate details from childhood and sexual past (like how often they m*sturbate in a month). A court decision is no longer necessary too.
The current "Transsexuellengesetz" is more then 40 years old and was proven unconstitutional in several decisions.
People under 18 still need approvement of their parents/legal guardians. They can submit the declaration though (People under 14 can't do that).
SPD (social democrats), Grüne (greens), FDP (liberals idiots ) and Linke (left) voted for the law while CDU (christian democrats) and the AfD (nazis right wing) voted against it.
Edit: Medeia is right, the BSW (hard to explain them. Kinda left but they are also into Putin) and some FDP representatives also voted against it. This is honestly embarrassing for the FDP cause they always try to advertise themselves as "social". They are not.
The law also has some flaws and it's not perfect. Definitely a big step in the right direction though.

Last edited:
The german Bundestag (our parliament) finally passed the "Selbstbestimmungsgesetz" (Self-Determination Act). This is huge step. It will enforce on the 1st of november. Trans people can finally change their gender and first name without answering disgusting and degrading questions about intimate details from childhood and sexual past (like how often they m*sturbate in a month). A court decision is no longer necessary too.
The current "Transsexuellengesetz" is more then 40 years old and was proven unconstitutional in several decisions.
People under 18 still need approvement of their parents/legal guardians. They can submit the declaration though (People under 14 can't do that).
SPD (social democrats), Grüne (greens), FDP (liberals) and Linke (left) voted for the law while CDU (christian democrats) and the AfD (nazis right wing) voted against it.

"Bündnis Sarah Wagenknecht" who separated from Linke also voted against it alongside CDU, AFD and 9 FDP members and they were pretty much in line with AFD at dehumanizing trans people, denying their sheer existence during this parliamental voting and they were only not shameless enough to vote for AFDs counter lawproposal to make the "Transsexuellengesetz" even worse and fully Nazi Germany like. So yeah yet again Transphobia comes from the nominal Left a lot aswell, especially from Kreml bootlickers.

Literally not a single russian survey is legitimate

1) people won't answer honestly on a survey if their honest answer will get them into trouble. Being pro LGBT will get you into trouble in Russia
2) disagreeing with the gov in Russia will also get you into trouble. The gov's anti-LGBT, you have to answer in accordance to the gov's actions in an autocratic state
3) Surveytaking is unbeliavable easy to commit in a way that massively slants the statements, unintentionally or in the case of Russia intentionally. The opinion taker's are owned by the state. They won't release surveys that are against the gov's opinions. They could just not take any opinions and release any numbers they want, play into the propaganda machine and there's absolutely nobody who could check that

I am not saying there's no homophobia in this society. They've been governed by homophobic rulers since basically forever after all, and whilst it's largely secular, the values of the Orthodox Church are immensly powerful. Still however, I cannot see legitimacy in the surveys of an autocratic state. Even democratic states have more illegitimate surveys than legitimate ones

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)