Tournament LC Winter League Commencement Thread

everytime i lose it will be opposite day so draft me or ur missing out on free wins

edit: when i win its not opposite day

Last edited:
Welcome to Part 1 of the LCWL Power Rankings! Writing this is a much bigger challenge than the LCPL rankings, as more people are able to volunteer their time for writing and editing during the summer. This project does not have as long of a contributor list as usual as people are understandably busy, but I'd like to think those that did take time out of their day to go through my writing: ashelyDeluxe and wesh papillon

We have a whole lot of newcomers this year, and while that's a great thing, it does mean that my rankings are not going to be touching extensively on every single player. If you're new and you only see a sentence or so for yourself, I hope you stick around so I can say more about you in a future ranking!

Without further ado, here are the rankings compiled from a manager poll:

1. It is Summer Sunkerns - 1.333
2. Turn Down for Wattrels - 3
3. Pokebro Piplups - 4
4. Smoliv Garden - 4.4
4. Blue Eyes White Bagons - 4.4
6. Zigzagoon Platoon - 5
6. Cauchemarcacrins Des Enfers - 5
8. Ashely Quaxely

----------------------

Trades: TJ, Togkey, Dragonitenb and Eeveeto for Luthier and babyboyblues

Days of bitching on end about his price (and a healthy dose of shady trades) has apparently yielded Ninja the strongest team on paper by a considerable margin. Representing the time-honored strategy of shunning mainers in favor of tournament players well, if ninjadog can clean up his less experienced slots he might be nigh unstoppable. Their loss in the first week, however, clearly shows that they aren’t quite coordinated yet: their established LCers (along with rising star aleaniled) were each able to pull out strong wins, but each of their tournament mainstays faltered. The team's largest concern is their most expensive player. Ninja went to great lengths to acquire Luthier, but if his first game is any sign he has some practice ahead of him if he wants to regain his virtuoso status - hopefully we don’t get another scorched earth policy review post when this is all over.

If the Luthier trade doesn’t work out Ninjadog may come to regret it, as TJ, dragonitenb and Togkey would likely have been good additions to his current lineup. Drafting cheap tournament players with limited investment in LC has strong upsides given that they usually have very strong fundamentals, but each player is going to adapt to LC slightly differently. Unfortunately for Ninjadog, if week 1 is any indication his players have some adaptation left to go: Damien has yet to show his genius in this tier, his self-proclaimed unluckiest player of all time may tilt out before tour’s end, and snaga and DugZa haven’t put great records in LC team tours yet. Still, given the strength of his most expensive slots, all ninja really needs to breeze into playoffs is for his tour player slots to go around even. This team is ranked 1st for a reason given the strength of its names, but it won't be a free path to playoffs by any means. I can definitely see a crash and burn here if the dropoff between the top three and bottom five slots continues to be so steep.

1675495409758.png

Trades: bb skarm for yellowfin

The greatest discord and circuit mains of 2022 have come together to draft an undeniably strong—if a bit weird—team. They boast what is easily the strongest building core of the tournament in Drifting, Door Money, goldenghost and collette, along with a solid supporting cast of LC up-and-comers. Despite their impressive victory in week 1 against the highest ranking team, they can’t completely rest on their laurels. Many of their most expensive slots are unproven in the team tournament format, and their more established slots have occasionally seemed to be struggling to adjust to the new generation. DOOR MONEY and Collette have not been able to replicate the command of the metagame they had in late SS, where they seemed to have an uncanny ability to nail their opponents in the most unholy matchup fishes I’ve ever seen. I don’t think that Collette has quite been able to replicate the affronts to nature she was capable of last generation, but hopefully for the Wattrels she isn’t far off. Goldenghost seems uninspired by SV thus far and has been unable to put up a strong result since his namesake was not yet a Nazi, though perhaps his name change can take him off that arc.

Their supporting cast is promising: Raj.shoot and Shou Dui have put up solid performances in the past that suggest solid potential, the latter in particular showing off his new gen chops well in teamballo. I couldn’t have told you who Dj Breloominati is before last week (I would have assumed he was around 1100 on the ladder based on his username), but he was able to pull out a commanding win last week, so his managers can’t be too worried about his slot at this point. Their last slot is where I see them running into problems, with no obvious player as solid as the other slots. Lady Writer threw what was likely a guaranteed win (bar protect shellder) against bbb last week. Yellowfin, while promising, is relatively unproven. Coconut was a solid pick up for her managing expertise (no small consideration for brand new managers) and building, but her Sheet™ record casts doubt on her ability to start. The Wattrels have enough depth to their lineup to cycle until they find a one that works, but the journey there might be rocky.

Heading this cast of up-and-comers along with the aforementioned DOOR MONEY is Drifting, who is probably one of the most dedicated managers in the tournament. He’ll have a big task ahead of him in coordinating a team full of builders, and needs to worry about his own results on top of that. He managed a deep run in LC open a couple months ago, but hasn’t been able to replicate that results since. He has to be hungry for his own big result, a desire he must balance with helping his team. Despite the Wattrels' lack of the consistent results teams with more established players like the Sunkerns have, Drifting and DOOR MONEY have drafted a team reflective of their own high potential as players, and are certainly the team to beat at the moment given their week 1 victory over the Sunkerns.

1675495966318.png

3. Pokebro Piplups - 4

The Piplups sport a diverse and very international cast of LC mainstays, tournament players and up-and-comers. However, they may have some work to do before they can build up the synergy to compete with already collaborative lineups like the Wattrels and the Cauchemarcacrins (my anglophone ass cannot be bothered to keep looking up the name every time I want to mention this team, calling them the frenchies henceforth). This doesn't mean the team doesn't have the ingredients for success! Éric has been near SCL level for a while now, and though I would have questioned Gorex’s ability to transfer his DPP skills to SV if I was writing these rankings before the tournament began, his win over Laroxyl and success in teamballo shows that he is quite comfortable in this pool. Mendeez should serve as their third solid slot: his meteoric rise early last year shows no signs of stopping, and his ability to put up consistently strong results is impressive.

The Piplups are actually in a very similar position to the Sunkerns when it comes to the strength of their slots. They have three solid slots that look like they will almost certainly go positive, but still lost week 1 because the rest of their team needs a bit more work. While the Sunkerns drop off mostly has to do with inexperience, the Piplups mostly drafted players with substantial—or some, at the very least—experience in LC. They may need to raise some of those experienced members that lost last week out of slumps if they want to win it all. This may be a tall order in some cases - robjr, for example, is certainly a fantastic player (he was instrumental to my own LCPL win) but will undoubtedly and understandably be prioritizing other tournaments. Shrug in particular would have been a star player for the Piplups 2-3 years ago, but has wisely deprioritized Pokemon in favor of school. This is nothing new, but I've noticed that recently school has been eating even his cherished shitposting time—that’s how you know it’s bad. Even if the Piplups get lucky and Shrug gets a brief respite from work in the coming weeks, he has a lot of pent up energy he would need to release on Discord before he can ever start playing the game. Shrug will always have incredible potential, but I wouldn’t be surprised if his most consistent obstacle this tournament is the activity call.

The Piplups' remaining lineup is a bit odd and difficult to place. Some players like avarice and Kipkluif have results in DPP and LC UU respectively, but have not yet transferred those skills to SV LC as their manager gorex has. The Piplups' subs last week, FP and Mom Lover, don’t have any results and are still waiting for their chance in the spotlight. ojr is probably their best hope for the breakout performance they need to win this tournament considering his good record in Teamballo, but even that is a shaky bet at best. Teamballo was not taken very seriously by its players and was a very raw metagame, making it not very representative of the current meta. What’s more, ojr lost his game last week and has a negative overall record in LC team tours to overcome. His potential has been recognized for a while now, but the Piplups need him to start realizing it now if they have any hopes of picking up some wins. The Piplups have markedly more problems than the teams above them, but strong management should give them a decent shot.

1675496072022.png

4. Smoliv Garden - 4.4

The Smoliv Garden managers are probably the duo I am most excited about seeing this tournament. gali is one of the few LC players that is even crustier than I am, and I’ve respected her novel (and sometimes diabolical) team ideas from the beginning. califlour has been on the radar of every LCPL manager on the hunt for a future SCL-level player at a bargain. I look forward to seeing what she can do with her own team. That team, however, is about as all-over-the-place as its namesake’s menu. The players gali and cali drafted are individually good, but come from just about every category you can imagine: rising stars, tournament players, veterans, ladder heroes and scouted newcomers are all represented. The incredible variety and depth of their team may give the Smolives more potential than even some of the teams above them, but their 2-6 defeat last week indicates much work to do on fulfilling it.

Acehunter1 is the obvious star player of the team, and will have to pull off quite the tournament run if he wants his team to go far. He’s certainly capable, but is going to have to be more self-sufficient than he has ever been before. He is used to prepping with friends that are now on other teams (like wesh papillon) who know when to reign in his less good ideas. Luckily for gali and cali, Wimpod isn’t available this generation, so he can only go so wrong. Not only does he have to prep without his usual support — he has to help multiple inexperienced players at the same time. If he is extremely motivated through the entire tournament this is possible, but it's a lot to ask, even of a top player.

The Smolivs also need Heysup, just about the only LC player gali could have drafted to make herself feel young, to pull off a good performance. Heysup certainly has the talent to do so, and his creativity is unrivaled. However, his creativity can work against him in a team setting: his teams are often too complicated for tour players to pick up and use without practicing the techs. If this metagame lends itself to Heysup’s genius the way that ORAS does, we may yet see a return to form. Conversely, if this generation becomes centralized to the extent of SS and SM, I can see Heysup's style working against him. Only time will tell how successful Heysup's unique approach to the game will be in this generation, but from a spectator point of view you just have to root for him.

The rest of the team certainly has the potential to become strong slots. The tournament players gali and cali drafted are perhaps the most promising of any team: Meru and crying went solidly positive in their last LC team tours, the latter having solidified themself as one of Smogon’s premier generalist players in the past year. Akaru Kokuyo has yet to make a significant foray into tiers outside of doubles, but has put up result after result in the past year there. Clearly gali and cali are hoping that akaru will follow in the footsteps of other doubles players like Z Strats and Paraplegic that were very successful in transferring their proficiency in doubles to the similarly fast-paced LC meta. I must admit I know next to nothing about chimp, their last tour player, but their win last week is very promising for a solid season.

Joltage rounds out their roster with significant tournament experience, but hasn’t had the chance to play current generation LC in quite a while. He has proven himself an LC UU virtuoso in LPL, but his ability to put up positive records in standard LC remains to be seen. The rest of the roster are all newcomers, likely scouts by the ambitious managers. MOHAMEDALL has made multiple decent runs in LC Circuit, and LeJames Chonk (better known as Horny Miltank) has been an LC ladder mainstay for what seems like years. NotJackewu and RDL93 are completely unknown to me, but already have a win between them. gali and cali are hoping to strike gold with some of these unknown 3k picks, an event likely necessary for them to beat out the more established teams. The smolives have more kinks to work out than most, but between their solid cast of tour players with strong fundamentals and their newcomers hungry for their first wins, they could easily coalesce into one of the strongest teams of the tournament.

Stay tuned for part 2 later this weekend!

Last edited:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12xkFJd-syGDL4pgqvEDo4Nss1XX_amNSNUHbDqAdVxw/edit?usp=sharing

This is the spreadsheet I have started for LCWL, I will have it up to date by later tonight (only Week 1 tho, will finish Week 2 when it's over). If someone else has already started one then I will not continue with this, but thought it would be nice for the tournament to have one. If there are any suggestions regarding the formatting or mistakes that you see, let me know. Anyone that wishes to contribute feel free to contact me.

Welcome to Part 1 of the LCWL Power Rankings! Writing this is a much bigger challenge than the LCPL rankings, as more people are able to volunteer their time for writing and editing during the summer. This project does not have as long of a contributor list as usual as people are understandably busy, but I'd like to think those that did take time out of their day to go through my writing: ashelyDeluxe and wesh papillon

We have a whole lot of newcomers this year, and while that's a great thing, it does mean that my rankings are not going to be touching extensively on every single player. If you're new and you only see a sentence or so for yourself, I hope you stick around so I can say more about you in a future ranking!

Without further ado, here are the rankings compiled from a manager poll:

3. Pokebro Piplups - 4
4. Smoliv Garden - 4.4
6. Zigzagoon Platoon - 5
8. Ashely Quaxely

----------------------

Trades: TJ, Togkey, Dragonitenb and Eeveeto for Luthier and babyboyblues

Days of bitching on end about his price (and a healthy dose of shady trades) has apparently yielded Ninja the strongest team on paper by a considerable margin. Representing the time-honored strategy of shunning mainers in favor of tournament players well, if ninjadog can clean up his less experienced slots he might be nigh unstoppable. Their loss in the first week, however, clearly shows that they aren’t quite coordinated yet: their established LCers (along with rising star aleaniled) were each able to pull out strong wins, but each of their tournament mainstays faltered. The team's largest concern is their most expensive player. Ninja went to great lengths to acquire Luthier, but if his first game is any sign he has some practice ahead of him if he wants to regain his virtuoso status - hopefully we don’t get another scorched earth policy review post when this is all over.

If the Luthier trade doesn’t work out Ninjadog may come to regret it, as TJ, dragonitenb and Togkey would likely have been good additions to his current lineup. Drafting cheap tournament players with limited investment in LC has strong upsides given that they usually have very strong fundamentals, but each player is going to adapt to LC slightly differently. Unfortunately for Ninjadog, if week 1 is any indication his players have some adaptation left to go: Damien has yet to show his genius in this tier, his self-proclaimed unluckiest player of all time may tilt out before tour’s end, and snaga and DugZa haven’t put great records in LC team tours yet. Still, given the strength of his most expensive slots, all ninja really needs to breeze into playoffs is for his tour player slots to go around even. This team is ranked 1st for a reason given the strength of its names, but it won't be a free path to playoffs by any means. I can definitely see a crash and burn here if the dropoff between the top three and bottom five slots continues to be so steep.

View attachment 489191

Trades: bb skarm for yellowfin

The greatest discord and circuit mains of 2022 have come together to draft an undeniably strong—if a bit weird—team. They boast what is easily the strongest building core of the tournament in Drifting, Door Money, goldenghost and collette, along with a solid supporting cast of LC up-and-comers. Despite their impressive victory in week 1 against the highest ranking team, they can’t completely rest on their laurels. Many of their most expensive slots are unproven in the team tournament format, and their more established slots have occasionally seemed to be struggling to adjust to the new generation. DOOR MONEY and Collette have not been able to replicate the command of the metagame they had in late SS, where they seemed to have an uncanny ability to nail their opponents in the most unholy matchup fishes I’ve ever seen. I don’t think that Collette has quite been able to replicate the affronts to nature she was capable of last generation, but hopefully for the Wattrels she isn’t far off. Goldenghost seems uninspired by SV thus far and has been unable to put up a strong result since his namesake was not yet a Nazi, though perhaps his name change can take him off that arc.

Their supporting cast is promising: Raj.shoot and Shou Dui have put up solid performances in the past that suggest solid potential, the latter in particular showing off his new gen chops well in teamballo. I couldn’t have told you who Dj Breloominati is before last week (I would have assumed he was around 1100 on the ladder based on his username), but he was able to pull out a commanding win last week, so his managers can’t be too worried about his slot at this point. Their last slot is where I see them running into problems, with no obvious player as solid as the other slots. Lady Writer threw what was likely a guaranteed win (bar protect shellder) against bbb last week. Yellowfin, while promising, is relatively unproven. Coconut was a solid pick up for her managing expertise (no small consideration for brand new managers) and building, but her Sheet™ record casts doubt on her ability to start. The Wattrels have enough depth to their lineup to cycle until they find a one that works, but the journey there might be rocky.

Heading this cast of up-and-comers along with the aforementioned DOOR MONEY is Drifting, who is probably one of the most dedicated managers in the tournament. He’ll have a big task ahead of him in coordinating a team full of builders, and needs to worry about his own results on top of that. He managed a deep run in LC open a couple months ago, but hasn’t been able to replicate that results since. He has to be hungry for his own big result, a desire he must balance with helping his team. Despite the Wattrels' lack of the consistent results teams with more established players like the Sunkerns have, Drifting and DOOR MONEY have drafted a team reflective of their own high potential as players, and are certainly the team to beat at the moment given their week 1 victory over the Sunkerns.

View attachment 489195

3. Pokebro Piplups - 4

The Piplups sport a diverse and very international cast of LC mainstays, tournament players and up-and-comers. However, they may have some work to do before they can build up the synergy to compete with already collaborative lineups like the Wattrels and the Cauchemarcacrins (my anglophone ass cannot be bothered to keep looking up the name every time I want to mention this team, calling them the frenchies henceforth). This doesn't mean the team doesn't have the ingredients for success! Éric has been near SCL level for a while now, and though I would have questioned Gorex’s ability to transfer his DPP skills to SV if I was writing these rankings before the tournament began, his win over Laroxyl and success in teamballo shows that he is quite comfortable in this pool. Mendeez should serve as their third solid slot: his meteoric rise early last year shows no signs of stopping, and his ability to put up consistently strong results is impressive.

The Piplups are actually in a very similar position to the Sunkerns when it comes to the strength of their slots. They have three solid slots that look like they will almost certainly go positive, but still lost week 1 because the rest of their team needs a bit more work. While the Sunkerns drop off mostly has to do with inexperience, the Piplups mostly drafted players with substantial—or some, at the very least—experience in LC. They may need to raise some of those experienced members that lost last week out of slumps if they want to win it all. This may be a tall order in some cases - robjr, for example, is certainly a fantastic player (he was instrumental to my own LCPL win) but will undoubtedly and understandably be prioritizing other tournaments. Shrug in particular would have been a star player for the Piplups 2-3 years ago, but has wisely deprioritized Pokemon in favor of school. This is nothing new, but I've noticed that recently school has been eating even his cherished shitposting time—that’s how you know it’s bad. Even if the Piplups get lucky and Shrug gets a brief respite from work in the coming weeks, he has a lot of pent up energy he would need to release on Discord before he can ever start playing the game. Shrug will always have incredible potential, but I wouldn’t be surprised if his most consistent obstacle this tournament is the activity call.

The Piplups' remaining lineup is a bit odd and difficult to place. Some players like avarice and Kipkluif have results in DPP and LC UU respectively, but have not yet transferred those skills to SV LC as their manager gorex has. The Piplups' subs last week, FP and Mom Lover, don’t have any results and are still waiting for their chance in the spotlight. ojr is probably their best hope for the breakout performance they need to win this tournament considering his good record in Teamballo, but even that is a shaky bet at best. Teamballo was not taken very seriously by its players and was a very raw metagame, making it not very representative of the current meta. What’s more, ojr lost his game last week and has a negative overall record in LC team tours to overcome. His potential has been recognized for a while now, but the Piplups need him to start realizing it now if they have any hopes of picking up some wins. The Piplups have markedly more problems than the teams above them, but strong management should give them a decent shot.

View attachment 489196

4. Smoliv Garden - 4.4

The Smoliv Garden managers are probably the duo I am most excited about seeing this tournament. gali is one of the few LC players that is even crustier than I am, and I’ve respected her novel (and sometimes diabolical) team ideas from the beginning. califlour has been on the radar of every LCPL manager on the hunt for a future SCL-level player at a bargain. I look forward to seeing what she can do with her own team. That team, however, is about as all-over-the-place as its namesake’s menu. The players gali and cali drafted are individually good, but come from just about every category you can imagine: rising stars, tournament players, veterans, ladder heroes and scouted newcomers are all represented. The incredible variety and depth of their team may give the Smolives more potential than even some of the teams above them, but their 2-6 defeat last week indicates much work to do on fulfilling it.

Acehunter1 is the obvious star player of the team, and will have to pull off quite the tournament run if he wants his team to go far. He’s certainly capable, but is going to have to be more self-sufficient than he has ever been before. He is used to prepping with friends that are now on other teams (like wesh papillon) who know when to reign in his less good ideas. Luckily for gali and cali, Wimpod isn’t available this generation, so he can only go so wrong. Not only does he have to prep without his usual support — he has to help multiple inexperienced players at the same time. If he is extremely motivated through the entire tournament this is possible, but it's a lot to ask, even of a top player.

The Smolivs also need Heysup, just about the only LC player gali could have drafted to make herself feel young, to pull off a good performance. Heysup certainly has the talent to do so, and his creativity is unrivaled. However, his creativity can work against him in a team setting: his teams are often too complicated for tour players to pick up and use without practicing the techs. If this metagame lends itself to Heysup’s genius the way that ORAS does, we may yet see a return to form. Conversely, if this generation becomes centralized to the extent of SS and SM, I can see Heysup's style working against him. Only time will tell how successful Heysup's unique approach to the game will be in this generation, but from a spectator point of view you just have to root for him.

The rest of the team certainly has the potential to become strong slots. The tournament players gali and cali drafted are perhaps the most promising of any team: Meru and crying went solidly positive in their last LC team tours, the latter having solidified themself as one of Smogon’s premier generalist players in the past year. Akaru Kokuyo has yet to make a significant foray into tiers outside of doubles, but has put up result after result in the past year there. Clearly gali and cali are hoping that akaru will follow in the footsteps of other doubles players like Z Strats and Paraplegic that were very successful in transferring their proficiency in doubles to the similarly fast-paced LC meta. I must admit I know next to nothing about chimp, their last tour player, but their win last week is very promising for a solid season.

Joltage rounds out their roster with significant tournament experience, but hasn’t had the chance to play current generation LC in quite a while. He has proven himself an LC UU virtuoso in LPL, but his ability to put up positive records in standard LC remains to be seen. The rest of the roster are all newcomers, likely scouts by the ambitious managers. MOHAMEDALL has made multiple decent runs in LC Circuit, and LeJames Chonk (better known as Horny Miltank) has been an LC ladder mainstay for what seems like years. NotJackewu and RDL93 are completely unknown to me, but already have a win between them. gali and cali are hoping to strike gold with some of these unknown 3k picks, an event likely necessary for them to beat out the more established teams. The smolives have more kinks to work out than most, but between their solid cast of tour players with strong fundamentals and their newcomers hungry for their first wins, they could easily coalesce into one of the strongest teams of the tournament.

Stay tuned for part 2 later this weekend!

The part 2 :

1675890732286.png

Part 2 - thanks again to ashely for the help.

------------------------------------------------------

1676261586915.png

Trades - yellowfin for bb skarm

If these PRs included a manager ranking, I think it is very likely that TheKingKarp (also known as TKK) and kythr would end up solidly on top. They’ve worked together to great success in the past, forming a building core that was instrumental to US Central team's victory in the last LCWC. Individually, their resumes are impressive. TKK has yet to put forward a standout individual performance, but his skill and dedication in the builder is renowned. His crucial support role on every team he's been on makes him a highly sought-after addition to any team. By his side as co-manager is the ascendant kythr, coming off the top LC record in SCL and what is looking to be a strong showing in SPL OU. kythr's strong pedigree as a player is at this point undeniable, but he still has something to prove as a manager. His managing debut in LCWC saw him win the entire tournament, but with the major asterisk of not having drafted the team himself. His return to managing in the subsequent LCPL was unfortunately disastrous, with the team he drafted at the bottom of the sheet by a long shot. kythr will be looking to return to form this tournament, so that he can add a draft tour win to his ever-growing list of accomplishments.

TKK and kythr’s draft is a bit odd from an objective standpoint. Instead of using their combined building prowess to draft a slate of proven tour players at a discount, they instead opted for players with strong potential. Most of their players have either even or negative performances in the past few team tours, but clearly TKK and kythr believe that this is the tour where these players will shine. The pick that perhaps most embodies this trend is their most expensive, Elfuseon. His high price tag shows that they are far from the only managers who believe that Elfuseon will be the next big thing, but they are certainly taking a risk here: Elfuseon’s combined tour record from the last two team tours is 4-11. Surfy and MK007 fall into a similar boat: the former has yet to put forth a positive record, and the latter has always been more Discord icon and Meowth worshipper than tournament mainstay. Voltix in particular is quite the leap of faith, considering their 0-6 record in the last two tournaments. Some of these gambles have already paid off, however: Elfuseon and Voltix are both off to strong starts. The Bagons are one of the leading teams at 3 points, so TKK and kythr must be on to something.

The rest of the team’s cast is made up of solid LCers looking for their breakout performance as well as tournament players. TheShoddyStrawman had a very solid debut last LCPL, especially for such a new player, and his enthusiasm for the game is obvious. DuGuo came to Smogon through LCWC and thankfully stuck around. They've achieved two even records in one of the more difficult old gens to learn with little help—no easy feat. They will need to adapt to a new generation, but their win over Shrug in week 1 indicates they are more than capable. Spl4sh and bb skarm round the roster out, the former a solid member of Team Brazil (sometimes Latin America) every year, and the latter a newcomer to LC. The Bagons cannot succeed without multiple players having their breakout performance, but their record thus far shows that this optimistic drafting is not baseless. With nearly every player on the team having something to prove, the Bagons are a team to watch as the tournament progresses.

1676262721055.png

6. Zigzagoon Platoon - 5

Trades: Luthier and babyboyblues for TJ, Togkey, Dragonitetb and Eeveeto

HSOWA and jcbc do not, at first glance, seem fantastic candidates to manage an all CG tournament. HSOWA has never ventured outside of DPP with the exception of individual tournaments, and jcbc has yet to start in an on-site LC tournament. Their on-site records do not tell the full story, however; the managing duo have solidified themselves off-site as perhaps the most consistent LPL (an off-site biannual tournament) managers. Their teams in LPL have made playoffs four consecutive times, often topping the standings sheet. LPL also regularly features extremely experimental metagames, so the two are used to adapting to a rapidly changing metagame such as SV LC. Compared to off-site tournaments like LPL, on-site tournaments definitely have a higher standard of competition. HSOWA and jcbc will have to prove themselves capable of meeting that higher standard, but their performance thus far shows that they may be up to the task.

HSOWA and jcbc certainly put their drafting experience to work in this auction. After the auction had finished, I considered them the strongest team: a terrifying mix of LC innovators and capable builders. However, they made a few trades afterwards that are likely the reason for their lower placement. The cast of tournament players that they received for babyboyblues (bbb) and Luthier are certainly intimidating, but Luthier and bbb seemed like the playing and building core of the team. In return for this core they likely no longer have to worry about filling 8 slots with strong players, but the tradeoff of losing out on a potential bbb/Luthier/Corckscrew tiebreak seems devastating from an outsider’s view. Their low placement points to similar feelings from the other managers, but it is possible that this was somewhat reactionary given their current performance.

With Luthier and bbb gone, the new center of the team is Corckscrew, picked up for a measly 11.5k. Corck is known for his incredible LCPL performances (except the one he played for me :puff:) and unorthodox builds. The reason for Corck's low price is likely because he is more known for doing well in old generations. His strong performance against formidable opponents shows that he has transferred his overall skill to this new generation well, and if he can keep it up he may end up being the steal of the tournament. HanPyol, another cheap pick, has also been doing very well, picking up crucial wins despite their long hiatus from LC. Not all of HSOWA and jcbc's picks have gotten off to a strong start: trace certainly has the potential to transfer his consistency in ORAS to SV, but hasn’t quite figured it out yet. Prodigezz and Baloor have similar stories, both still finding themselves in this unorthodox meta.

Three expensive picks floundering early in the tournament would normally be a huge problem, but thanks to the trades the Platoon have more than enough tournament players to shuffle around until they find a winning formula. Lunala has had a dominant start to their tournament, including a huge win against ninjadog this week. Dragonitetb, Eeveeto and Togkey are all off to a decent start, even against some particularly strong opposition. TJ, their most expensive pick, is still figuring things out, but his skill as a player and success in the past means he has potential to turn things around at any time.

The greatest strength of the Platoon is obviously their depth, but their tough loss to the Sunkerns this week points to some troubles on the horizon. I question the cast of tour players’ ability to adapt to a rapidly changing meta at the same rate as more dedicated players. Tiebreaks and taking wins against strong slots are also a huge concern: the Platoon easily has 8 solid slots, but their number of great slots is more questionable. Just one loss won’t derail their season, but is a strong reality check for the problems of their team structure.

1676263888319.png

Tying with the Platoon for 6th place are Cauchemarcacrins Des Enfers (note: I originally planned to call this team the frenchies, but just pasting it every time is a bit funnier), led by managing newcomers Alkione and CMDoge. Though their strength as players is well known, their strength as managers is a mystery, and their draft was looked upon with high suspicion. They got off to a very strong start by drafting Laroxyl, but the rest of their team is relatively unproven. This has not hampered them though, as many of their newcomers are off to a solid start. Whatever the philosophy there was behind drafting unproven players, it has clearly paid off.

Laroxyl is the star player of the team, and is looking to dominate every tour he’s in after getting snubbed from SCL. I’m unsure if Laroxyl has ever worked with alkione and doge, but I don’t think he will hesitate to help his teammates along. The other two members of their building cast are Daruma and DC. Daruma is perhaps the most ruthless self-promoter I’ve ever seen, though he doesn’t have a strong showing to back that up yet. He already has wins against Heysup and Elfuseon that he can keep in his pocket to pm SCL managers for a couple years, and seems to be adjusting to the new generation well. DC has picked up wins here and there over the past couple team tours and has solidified themselves as a worthwhile sub, and seems to be taking on a similar role this tournament.

The only other players I know anything about are Sciroccoo and Leru. Sciroccoo’s ladder prowess did not transfer to smogon tournaments for a while, but he finally had a decent showing last LCWC, and has similar support in this tournament. He is floundering a bit early on, but has more than enough time to turn around. I teamed with Leru in SCL and was hoping to be the first to pick him up for cheap in an LC tournament. He adjusted to LC very quickly in tests, and given that he’s already the best PU player he may be trying to add another tier to his belt. From his performance so far it looks like I won’t be getting my cheap pick come LCPL season. How Fc, Wait2Seconds and MTB will perform is completely unknown to me, but they have an even record collectively, so can't be too bad. I will admit that I ranked the Cauchemarcacrins Des Enfers pretty low initially. Beyond their star players and Leru, I couldn't see them competing with the top teams fielding eight tough slots. The proof is in the pudding in this case, though; alkione and CMDoge are proving everyone wrong, and only need to keep it up to breeze to playoffs.

--------------

I will be editing in the Ashely Quaxely section tomorrow or the next day, as they have a unique situation and I am completely exhausted. I have tried to convey in my rankings just how narrow the divisions between the teams are this tournament: I think at this point anyone could win against anyone. I can't wait to see how this unfolds!

I will be editing in the Ashely Quaxely section tomorrow or the next day
bet

anyways:

1) i like to doodle in the corner of my scouts, but nobody ever really gets to see them, so enjoy this dump of my scout doodles
1678642992500.png

2) quaxelys

quaxelys.png

thank you to all my players for always having a positive attitude and giving it your all, even when the circumstances were tough. even though we didn't end up making playoffs i am still proud to have been able to call all of you "my player" :)

special thanks to Tack for stepping up as a co-manager when wesh had to quit the tournament. without you i would have been very lost, your support was essential to making it as far as we did.

thank you as well to all the helpers who joined the server to help look over the teams i built, i felt a lot better about giving them to my players after you gave feedback!

i definitely had a very... unique experience for my first time managing. i hope that through all the ups and downs you had a good time on the team, and i hope i performed my duties as a manager well. hopefully my next team (and there will be a next team hehehe) will play under more ideal circumstances.

3)
Drifting you flopped

DuGuo

Just say love me.
is a Tiering Contributor
The regular season is finally over. I really thank all my teammates, especially my manager, for giving me great trust. Even though I really have little time, still insist on drafting me and give me the greatest freedom. I feel guilty and proud of my teammates for I only getting 1-1 in seven games but entering the plays off.
Blue Eyes White Bagons Let us GOOOOOOOOO!!!
final s/o will after we got it.

jcbc

lechonk is so cute
is a Pre-Contributor
not going to do a huge paragraph because im not like it and its not like we even got to finals but i wanted to thanks my team for giving their best and listening to my weird ideas (i think they worked for the most of it). It's been a fun season.
Eeveeto eres un genio, no se como lo haces pero eres el goat usando tus cosass jajajajaj sad que peridieses este ultimo pero np
HSOWA my brother thanks for staying right next to me it's been 5 times managing alrdy and 5 times making ti to playoffs we know it will eventually come that sweet victory.
Lunala ty for your amazing performance and im going to be honest it has been nice reuniting with you even tho i didnt even know whothat you were who you were prio the tour start it waws nice having you and im glad you did so well
Corckscrew such a pleasure teaming with you once again bro, just dont be a hater of the fun next time :P.
HanPyol you got your up and downs but im so glad i started you and you will only go higher from here if you want to i have blind faith man. Really glad we drafted you ^^
Togkey thanks for yourv efforts despite you not likimng the state of lc it was still having you around. having the ashley power its always clutch even if it ended not bieng enough jajajaja.
trace Baloor dragonitenb ProDigeZz thanks all for your effort even if you played little or didnt win much i still apreciate the amount of try you gave in.
And lastly JuanSG im honestly sorry for not picking you up from the start you desrved better you are definetly so much better than half the playerpool picked in both playing and building, it's just a matter of time you get your bigger shot. Outside of that.... duchate calvo.

oh yea, Éric stop managing noob that's not your stronghold (that also makes me finally be able to draft you smh). Thanks for the cool season all and see u on the next one, vr post and some teams soon posted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)