LC Player of the Week Revival #3: Fille

taranteeeno

levi premier league of the decade
is a Community Contributor

Fille
Favorite Pokemon: Mienshao
Most Used LC Pokemon: Timburr
Known as: MDL mod, LC Room mod, Assistant Manager of the Skitty Committee, 2018 LC Circuit Playoffs Qualifier, LC Draft Cup Winner (with Jox), LCWC Team Europe Captain, LC Discord’s beloved bisexual icon

As promised, I am back with another LC POTW. This week we have a community fan favorite; a player known for his crazy antics in the builder as well as in real life. Please help me welcome Fille!​

Greetings Fille! I am really excited to have you on LC Player of the Week. You’re a member of the community known for wild in-battle theatrics, unheard of sets, and an unfiltered personality, but I want to know the humble beginnings of Fille. Tell me how you got your start in competitive Pokemon and Little Cup.

Mmm always been a bit too fond of mons, but found the competitive side of it through a "friend" when I was like 11 (the son of someone my parents met up with every 6 months or so as a courtesy). He was even more nerdy about mons than I was, and introduced me to in depth mechanics while I sat there pretending to be interested. However, when I got slightly older, 13ish I was introduced to smogon through youtube, and since I had that knowledge from before i figured I'd give it a go so downloaded PO when suggested to do so during a livestream in like 2011.

I started out in bw1 ou with various trashy usernames and really really sucked at the game but kept playing until I started doing alright in like mid 2012 during POWC. I still went like 0-2 in bw uu, which was the only tier I had a shot at getting a spot for since the rest of us was trash at it bar this 1 player, Nikitas, whom we put in every other tier where needed. Our captain there, Rigas, invited me to his "clan" Order of the Dragon and it was here I met Lasen, who again invited me to the Hero clan which is eventually where I started maining bw2 uu and got rather good at it. Played a few tours and shit but quit mid 2014 because we were moving and I wanted to focus on real life.

Through a drunken incident with one of my best friends we started laddering some ORAS OU late summer 2016 and right before we quit I just spectated someone from a private room on PS I'd been invited to (I believe it was Chillshadow spectating someone), and there was this guy getting trashed by a Scraggy in LC. Got inspired, so built a team, met Jox on ladder who invited me to MDL and I couldnt manage to quit playing LC after that.

Wow so you’ve been at it for quite some time. Funny enough, bulldozing through the ladder with Scraggy is what got me hooked on LC too!

So after meeting Jox and creating arguably the most powerful LC couple of all time, what kept you around? What do you love about Little Cup? Is it the metagame, the mons, the people?

It was mainly the MDL community and Jox keeping me around at first. I really loved fucking around with Jox making weird builds and laddering with them, and I also felt like I managed to master LC somewhat. I know I wasn't among the best LCers at the time, but I was better than the average newcomer to the tier (Which I very much was at the time). Getting confirmation that I was at least somewhat capable when being drafted for LCPL 6 (Shoutouts Shrug) gave me encouragement to keep playing instead of just chilling out with MDL goons and at this point in time quite a few of the more prominent LC faces whom I'd been acquainted with.

You mention your first LC team tour being LCPL 6. Now, you are in your third LCPL as an assistant manager! What was the experience like back in LCPL 6 versus now?

Back then I knew I wasn't a very vital part of the team. I had to prove that I was worth the 4.5k, and only really focused on making my own teams work since the others were more experienced than me. This LCPL I'm one of the key builders on the team, and on a team with several talented builders all working on several squads together instead of just everyone focusing on their own stuff.

I'm also not an underdog anymore, and despite being far more expensive and having a more important role on the team now compared to then, I don't really feel as much pressure during my games anymore. I'm actually confident I can outplay my opponent with almost any team, which is an amazing feelings and really relieves the pressure from me.

Also, while Shrug at the time felt more like a leader figure instead of just someone who chilled in the chat with us (Granted he did that ofc and was really friendly with everyone and a fun presence), having Lily as the main manager feels more like just having a really good friend to lead us, someone I trust and have gotten along with really well over the past year since she joined MDL. The rest of the players on our team too also feel more like just a gathering of friends to me rather than back then, where they were all sort of the big goons all with more LC experience (and general tournament experience) than I had, so was almost a bit scary.

You seem to really be coming into your own now and your confidence is at all-time high. It’s especially noticeable for anyone who has been following your LCPL run and watching you consistently pull the trigger, make plays, and prep aggressively. How would say you’ve managed to go from “better than the average LCer” to someone who is fighting his way into elite status? What are things you did to improve?

Meming around with dumb as fuck sets and teams and excessive theorymonning. I've always been an arrogant, self-centered little shit but I've always had an issue dealing with pressure when it comes to shit I enjoy. I used to play a lot of soccer, and was scouted out as a talent at a young age, but that kinda forced a lot of pressure on me as a kid so I started playing horribly. I became one of the worst players on my team during actual matches which really sucked, while when just playing with friends I was still great. It came to a point where I sort of realised that it wasn't fun anymore to play matches, so during this one very particular match I just came to the conclusion that "fuck it, I'm just gonna do my thing rn. The coaches are going to hate me after this but it's ok because I'll quit" and played better than I'd ever done before. It was just that ability to not give a fuck that made me able to get by the pressure, and it's similar in mons.

I struggled a bit once people started noticing me and that pressure made me choke or just be unable to think of a better move other than the hunch click which didn't always work. However, when I started memeing around in Seasonals last year, I kinda realised that:
1. Pulling weird shit is more fun than full try-hard teams (Granted I'd already pulled quite a few erhm.. unorthodox teams prior to this)
2. No pressure. If I lose then so be it no one is actually expecting me to win with this garbage so I can just have fun. There was none of this "bring solid and outplay" mentality which I struggled so much with.

So I started running more gimmicks and as weird shit as I could think off and that has:
1. really gave me a perspective of how to play and enjoy the game that has been really helpful in tourgames afterwards.
2. The memes I pulled were all gimmicks that had a logical reason to be used, even if there was better techs to be pulled. These gimmicks, while mostly on bad mons that I probably won't run again, are often usable in similar ways on more viable mons, and recognising how those techs can be useful in more important games is valuable to my prep and teambuilding phase.
3. The teams were dogshit. I learned to actually outplay and properly plan out the better route to win because I had to if I was ever going to win with quite a few of these teams, which is also where the theorymonning comes in.

I've found the easiest way to plan such a route, especially in LC where games can often be less than 30 turns, is really just to theorymon ahead, what is their best move based on what I do and what is my best move based on that and in that way just think ahead a couple 10-20 turns to see where the game goes if I pull certain moves, and if that would be winning for me or not. Before this I'd usually just see the 2 turns ahead of where I was, and not consider the whole game which could often lead to valuable pokemons sacced or setting up my opponent to sweep.

It’s really interesting to hear about how pressure affected you. It is something I can relate with and I’m sure others in the community can too. Now I don’t want to spend this whole interview talking about mons because with someone as interesting as you, there is a lot more than this game.

However, before we switch topics, can you talk about a few of your favorite sets that you think are really good in the current meta? Are there any techs you think people should be running right now?

Spdef scarf diglett. Shit's busted. Imagine Trapinch, but for Gastly/Abra/Magnemite instead. NP 3 attack Spritzee and SubSD Berry Juice Mienfoo. Curse Z Onix and Z Mareanie. Air Balloon Diglett and Diglett in general deserves a special spot I guess. Also special shoutout to Timburr, which I think is currently better than Mienfoo. Special mention to NP Vullaby and LO Torchic, old sweepers returning to something close to their former glory.

:psyduck:Another point goes to Air Balloon Diglett..

Alright, let’s get off the topic of LC/competitive mons and talk more about you. What are some of the things that interest you? What’s Fille like to do for fun?

I don't have any specific interests anymore bar movies and tea. I'm lowkey a film enthusiast and enjoy digging a bit deeper into a movie, which is probably a consequence of studying literature for two years (Granted I've lost my interest for that field). For fun I generally just play mons on showdown or prep for my games or watch a new film, otherwise I just chill out with friends maybe some drinking or just board games or a mix of both. My best friend's got a Switch so we're often pulling out Smash Ultimate or MK8d at his place, and every Friday best bar in town lets 20 yrs and above in so Friday's an actual good drinking day which it isn't in most other cities and Saturday is just always good.

I like trying out new things though, so if anyone has any weird ideas I'm usually down to try, whether it just be a new type of food or trying out a new sport… oooooooor a new way of drinking.

Have you tried funneling it into your- okay I’ll stop there. So you have an interest in movies, tea, and alcohol. What are three movies you recommend?

Depends on your choice of genre. I've always been a bigger fan of dramas rather tahn all out action movies, so shit like Marvel movies doesn't really appeal that much to me. I'm not entirely sure what I'd recommend to a "general audience", so I'll just pull out my three favourites over the past year, which is "If I Stay", a somehow relatable film for teenagers despite its ridiculous premise. Second one would probs be "Inception", a very well crafted film with one of the more difficult premises to put on screen. I'll probably list "The Thing" as the last one, the 1982 film. Whodunit films are often fun if well done, and this film is a very good example of horror by atmosphere. Granted, the practical effects are really well done for its time , but they're kinda outdated so won't really hit the nail with the hammer as a "body horror" anymore.

And what are your favorite teas to drink? What’s the most exotic tea you’ve tried?

I tend to steer towards slightly more higher quality tea than your average twinings/lipton, but will drink mostly anything as long as it's actual tea and not any herbal shit, Infusions or Rooibos. I prefer loose leaf, and steer towards less complicated Black/White/Green/Ceylon blends generally, mostly anything from a local producer "Taras" (Not sure where they get their tea from uncertain if they're the one making it or if it's second hand), but I've got stuff from a Swedish tea producer in Strömstad, as well as a few different English ones of course, favourites being Harney & Sons and Whittard, both of which provides a very nice quality for a good price. I have no clue what the most exotic blends I've tried would be, but I have a friend living in South Africa who often brings new kinds (Granted them often being Rooibos) with her home when visiting her parents, so I've tried a few of those blends while there which I guess would be the most exotic from a Norwegian perspective.

Personally, I like different green teas from sencha, matcha, and stronger flavored tea like gunpowder.

One last suggestion from you. What’s one kind of alcohol everyone OF LEGAL DRINKING AGE should try at least once?

I'd say a kind of whiskey. Bourbon is generally easier on the tongue for newcomers, so probably Jim Beam or Jack Daniels, both common and easy to get. It's definitely not something for everyone, and I'm guessing most of the people reading this suggestion won't like it, but there's something to knowing that burn down your throat, just having had that experience. If you end up with an actual bottle then Bourbon is easy enough to mix with coke for an ok drink too if just pure wasn't your style. I myself prefer mixing it with coke, I'm also one of those weird ones that enjoy the smokey taste of standard scotch with my coke (Or used to rather), but idt that's too common.

Last week, we had a new segment, Teeeno’s Tea, which most certainly delivered. This week, we are going to try something new; a short quick-fire segment where we play a game called Fr*ck Marry Kill (censored for Eseque). I am going to list out three things from a number of categories. They could be LC sets, people in the community, or something totally random. You just have to tell me which one you’d fr*ck, marry, or kill.

Let’s start with LC sets: Modest Sash Abra, Z-Sleep Talk Diglett, Berry Juice Elekid.

Fuck bjuice ekid, marry that diglett bae as FUCK and then kill modest sashbra.

Scarf Ponyta, Acupressure Skorupi, Safety Goggles Gastly.

Fuck I love all. Next.

Now, let’s move onto LC mods… Corporal Levi, Quote, Merritt.

Marry quote daddy as fuck, fuck Merritt only cute host kill Levi for stealing my name

MDL mods? Groot, Jox, Vooper.

Marry Jox chef good food bad sex, fuck groot kinky one, kill vooper I dont like prepubescent kids.

Good answer..

LCWC teams: UKLux, France, Europe

Marry France they're sub as fuck in bed, fuck Europe and KILL UKLUX.

LCPL teams. This one might be hard… Guerilla Goletts, The Remoraiders, Skitty Committee.

N its easy as fuck LOL.

Marry Skitties (we have Gummy), fuck Goletts and kill raiders.

:blobpex:Another new and fire segment with flames responses. Readers, if you enjoyed this, please let me know!

Okay, last but not least, can you please share a team with us?

Mienfoo @ Berry Juice
Ability: Reckless
Level: 5
EVs: 156 Atk / 116 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

Timburr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 116 Atk / 156 Def / 236 SpD
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 164 HP / 36 Atk / 28 Def / 88 SpA / 152 SpD / 36 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off

Vullaby @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 236 Atk / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog

Staryu @ Eviolite
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 196 SpA / 76 SpD / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Recover

Spritzee @ Eviolite
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 52 HP / 116 Def / 252 SpA / 76 SpD / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Draining Kiss
- Psychic
- Moonblast

The team I used vs Kingler. Wanted to show this off because it highlights 2 of the sets I previously mentioned, as well as Staryu and Timburr, both of which i really like in this meta. Jox and I were the 2 who worked on this one for the most part. I wanted to bring this kind of Mienfoo with spritzee since we were aware of Kingler's Foongus usage, and we knew he had access to a Corp team that's been used previously (the exact one he actually brought) and Corp is in general the most standard anti-Fille pick so we went with double water check in staryu and ferro (With Foon gone, courtesy of the Mienfoo, Staryu really beats up standard BO as well in general), and ferro hence faking a more bulky slowish team (or so I hoped) when paired with Spritzee. Idk the team had a few flaws but overall has the tools to beat any matchup and has that offensive potential.

Thank you Fille for your time and thanks everyone for reading. Feel free to ask any questions to our guest. See you soon!

Ampha

"They don’t call me Greed for nothing!"
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
What is your opinions about the highly homossexual traps in LC metagame? Are they just gay or anything more?
What is your opinion about the LC elite? And how would LC community fight'em?
Dream team for a Future LCPL?
Unban a mon from LC Uber and tell the reason why
What newer players you think that deserve to be looked?
What is your favorite LC community emoji?
Which mons you think are underrated atm?
And last,make your personal top 10 mons on meta atm
Also u hot no homo :psywoke:

Fille

Afk
is a Pre-Contributor
LCPL Champion
jox told me you are a furry, is this true? if so, lopunny or gardevoir?
He's(lopunny)lying
you're a cute user, I'd say no homo but it's pride-month :afrostar:
no u
What is your opinions about the highly homossexual traps in LC metagame? Are they just gay or anything more?
What is your opinion about the LC elite? And how would LC community fight'em?
Dream team for a Future LCPL?
Unban a mon from LC Uber and tell the reason why
What newer players you think that deserve to be looked?
What is your favorite LC community emoji?
Which mons you think are underrated atm?
And last,make your personal top 10 mons on meta atm
Also u hot no homo :psywoke:
While diglett is obviously a trans, I think Wynaut is just a bit uncertain of itself and feels pressured to be something special. Magnemite however has yet to come out of the closet, and Trapinch was obviously too much for us to handle.

The LC elite is great and we don't need to fight them (They're watching us just ...nod along and smile)

Dream team is Skitties + Ampha, duuuh... o and Shrug

There's not a single mon I disagree on being banned, so like ig Scyther? Because it'd be hardbanned pretty fast again (And also that would make my boy roggenrola better since it doesnt die to technician hp grass)

There's this guy in MDL called Amphareixon, dunno if you've seen him around but I think he's underrated. Idrk anymore who else I'd list, most of those I thought underrated has been noticed by the community, most of them getting an lcpl spot bar like Dreamcatcher, who's pretty good ngl.

:smallkitty:

If we're just gonna not go by the far too outdated VR, I'd say Rufflet is pretty underrated. Both the Bulk Up and scarf set is pretty threatening, and it has its ways around every solid birdcheck.

top 10 is like Vullaby, Timburr, abra, diglett, gastly, spritzee, mienfoo, pawniard, mudbray, ponyta for me, haven't thought about it properly yet but ye.

Top 3 foods/snacks to accompany tea?
Thoughts on current vull meta and fly spam?
Cutest user in LC?

:blobuwu::blobuwu::blobuwu::blobuwu::blobuwu:
Chocolate, I'm not big on chocolate in general or alone but with tea it's very much a tasty treat. Eggs and Bacon comes in second as a solid breakfast if you have some mushrooms and tomatoes to accompany it (or all out English Breakfast) and tea is an essential to waking up. 3rd would be any kind of fruit for me.

I enjoy the current Vull meta. Vull isn't broken good, there's not one or two sets that are just running rampant and ruining every team, it's just that it's so versatile and I don't really mind that. Flying spam is for some reason not brought too often though, but I don't mind it being good since most birds are either slow or frail, and while they have like very few defensive stops since they have techs to get around shit like onix/tirt/bulky pawn, that just means that more offensive checks are needed which in turn gives a more offensive metagame if people follow up which I'd really enjoy.

LilyAC, duh.. also and Gummy + Space and Groot isnt cute he's tough

do you recommend playing mons drunk?
if you're shitfaced, yes. Somewhat fun experience but it doesn't work for everyone. Personally I can't play when just mildly drunk / tipsy, since I can't think properly but I still try to and end up throwing away my wins expecting the chinchou to be both choice scarf AND berry juice at the same time.

PO doesn't have you lot so PS :coolkitty:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)