LC Player of the Week Revival #1: Serene Grace

taranteeeno

levi premier league of the decade
is a Community Contributor

Serene Grace
Favorite Pokemon: Serperior
Most Used LC Pokemon: Vullaby
Known for: 8-1 in LCPL 7, 5-0 in Smogon Exhibition 2, LCWC Team Asia Captain, LCPL 8 Manager of the Taillow Swifts, Z-Me First Mienfoo, claiming Berry Juice Elekid, Northern Lights, former e-girl, being a FAlRY suspect, Serene's Disgrace, one of like two active LC Room Mods.

LC Player of the Week is back! Our first guest is Serene Grace. Being one of the current top players and builders as well as a now experienced LC team tour manager, I am excited to gain insight into one of the most established newer members of the community. I will attempt to get a new POTW every two weeks so expect a new installment soon:tm:. Anyway, please give a round of e-applause to Serene Grace.​

Well you have a fairly detailed history in Little Cup already, but before we get to that, can you tell us a bit about yourself?

Hi im Serene Grace a 20 year old engineering student from India, i love watching and playing sports and contrary to popular belief I am not actually a weeb.

Well I’ll be damned. Anyway, you've been on Smogon for nearly four years now, but only became active in LC within the last two. How did you get into competitive mons and where did you start tier-wise?

It's been a while but I started in UU before I moved to RU and then LC. No real particular reason for switching tiers. I just wanted to try different things.

Oh right, I believe you are still a Voice in the RU room, correct? Anyway, was anybody in particular instrumental in helping you get into LC?

No.

You've clearly been pursuing success in this metagame in a fairly serious manner. Between earning moderator in the LC room, managing in both LCWC and LCPL, and earning the 2nd most Circuit points last year, what's motivated you to stick with LC? Is there anything you love about this metagame?

Winning tbh, I feel like I've played well enough in this tier for a while now and that's what keeps me going, the idea of being the best. Also the people (well kinda) but I like my friend circle here and that's what keeps me in every day, goofing off with the vros.

Let's take this conversation to current events in LC. You are currently in your second stint as LC team tour manager; first was leading Team Asia in a failed bid for LCWC playoffs and second being LCPL manager of the Taillow Swifts. What was managing in LCWC like and were there any lessons learned that will carry into LCPL?

LCWC was fun but it was ultimately a failure. We held 4th seed going into the last week of the regular season and then just bottled it. I learned a lot from it; having a pre-existing team that you didn't draft had its own unique set of challenges which made it a very interesting experience. Being in charge of a team, making roster decisions, etc. is a very fun experience. It's like playing 2K.

The biggest takeaway from that season was that you need to be able to adapt. Sometimes things don't go your way, sometimes you get haxed, sometimes you lose 0-6 in Week 1. Whatever it is, you need to be able to look at the situation clearly and find the new best course of action. You can't waste time moping. It's very cliche but: "It's not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get him and keep moving forward."

I think we did a good job rebounding after an ugly first week or two of LCWC, but I still think I could've done a better job instead of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Definitely looking to learn from our mistakes and win LCPL this time.

Sounds like you've learned a lot from LCWC. Onto LCPL 8, we are kind of in a totally new metagame from LCWC and Exhibition. As someone who is known for innovating fun and broken sets, I'd like to know which mons or sets you've been liking in particular.

Anything that lures Onix is going to be good right now, but the three sets that I've been loving lately are: Corebreaker Vullaby, Air Balloon Diglett with 4th move Earth Power, and Rest Talk Mudbray.

Corebreaker Vullaby is just so hard to switch into. I don't think anything in the tier is actually not 2HKO'd by it AND Vullaby switches into Knock Off easily. She's a real vro.

Air Balloon Diglett is a discount Trapinch which can revenge Diglett, use 4th move Earth Power to trap Onix, and trap Scarf Ground-types.

Rest Talk Mudbray has always been a thing but never relevant. Right now, it's really good.

From being the best BW in LCPL 7 to dominating the 2018 SM Circuit to earning LC Room Mod and whole slew of other LC-related activity, your rise in LC has been something else. What advice would you give to new players in the community?

Advice for new vros: learn the math behind LC rolls. This means that you should learn to use the damage calculator effectively to figure out your opponent's sets, HP numbers, etc. All it takes is an IQ above 50 and 10 minutes of effort to learn, but it pays huge dividends.

And are there any newer players you believe are ones to look out for?

Gareth Adamson: I thought he was good in tryouts and he’s been playing well in LCPL so far.

czim: He’s been around in seasonals for a while right now and I think he’s solid. The issue with seasonals is that you can farm vs people who suck and people who don’t care. It’ll be interesting to see how he does in LCPL.

Fantos13: I think the Archens are a good environment for him and it’s showed as he’s been doing well in LCPL. I think this LCPL season will be where he takes off.

Definitely some interesting names to look out for. Now with Gen 8 approaching, is there anything you are hoping to get from Pokemon Sword & Shield in regards to Little Cup?

I would like to see paralysis improved. Keep the speed reduction at 1/4 but withou the full para chance. I know that won't happen though. Other than that I have no real desires as such. That's the fun of a new gen; you never know what you're going to get.

Before we wrap up this interview, is there anybody you'd like to shoutout or thank?

Shoutout to the jerk: dcae, OP, levi, tazz, Melon, madoka, tko, Pablo, Ninjadog, taranteeeno.

Ah yes Host Jerk for life.. And as is tradition with POTW, do you have a team that you'd like to share with us?

Mienfoo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
Level: 5
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- High Jump Kick
- Stone Edge

Onix @ Eviolite
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 76 HP / 236 Atk / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Snivy @ Eviolite
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 156 Def / 80 SpA / 76 SpD / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis
- Mirror Coat

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 156 Atk / 36 Def / 116 SpD / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Pursuit

Foongus @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 124 HP / 160 Def / 160 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spore
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis

Vullaby @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Brave Bird
- Knock Off
- Protect

This is a team I built for LC Open Semifinals. I’m a huge believer that in tour games good offense beats good defense, so Z moves and lures are always good. Here Z Move Vullaby is designed to break through the opposing team and Snivy with Mirror Coat is used to lure Foongus for Scarf Foo.

What makes the team tough to face in bo1 scenarios is that a lot of the potential sets are ambigious. You can't tell which item and sets each mon is and that’s very strategic for messing with your opponent’s gameplan and successfully luring them.

Thank you Serene Grace for your time and thanks everyone for reading. Feel free to ask any questions to our guest. See you soon!

Last edited:

Ampha

"They don’t call me Greed for nothing!"
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
What you think about LC elite?
And how about the current state of LC anime?
What was the origin of your name? Just the ability itself or any other meaning?
Favorite LC community emoji?
If you could have a dream team how would it be?
And last, Pizza or hamburger?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)