Late Night Laddering: LonelyNess vs. Dekzeh (UU)

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It was just another unsuspecting day of laddering on the UU ladder. I had begun to get in a real groove with my current team until b is for brutus showed up on the ladder and made me actually think... he had won our previous encounters for the day, each one hard faught to the bitter end. But the following battle that took place was definitely the best of the three. Because both of use knew each other's teams (not exactly full movesets, but at least the pokemon involved), there is no "surpise" to be kept in terms of what we're each packing. So here are the teams.

Team LonelyBalance

Team S is for Stall

Raw battle log will be in bold.
The Score, as well as in battle comments will be italicized.
Comments on the battle will be made in blue and will be bolded.

Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause
b is for brutus sent out Uxie (lvl 100 Uxie).
LonelyNess sent out Crobat (lvl 100 Crobat ?).
Invarus has entered the room.
b is for brutus: ok im tired
b is for brutus: x.x
Antique Roadshow has entered the room.

Dekzeh’s lead comes out and it is an Uxie. I know this Uxie well, and it has a very orthodox support moveset. But I also know it’s packing Psychic to ward off Crobats who get wise and Taunt. There are three possible outcomes to this exchange. He could try to set up Stealth Rock first turn, thinking I will switch instead of attack. He could Psychic to punish me for Taunting him, or he can switch out avoiding the whole “prediction” aspect of this opening exchange. The last time we battled each other, he used Stealth Rock predicting my switch to Shaymin. Knowing Dek he won’t do the same trick twice, so I’m pretty certain that Shaymin is a safe switch-in on a weak Psychic.

Crobat used U-turn.
It's super effective!
Uxie lost 26% of its health.
LonelyNess switched in Shaymin (lvl 100 Shaymin).
Uxie used Psychic.
Shaymin lost 27% of its health.
---

Score, I get Shaymin in for relatively free. I choose Shaymin over anything else on my team because it’s a ridiculously hard hitter, and it has a recovery move in Rest. This is important because I need to play this battle slowly, if I go at it too hard with wild predictions, I’m going to lose. There’s really only one thing to do since Uxie is so damn bulky, and that’s smack it as hard as I can with my strongest move, and in this case that’s Seed Flare.

LonelyNess: then forfiet
LonelyNess: because I don't want to lose any more points

Shaymin used Seed Flare.
Uxie lost 46% of its health.
Shaymin lost 10% of its health.
Uxie used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around your foe's team!
---
b is for brutus: ur team makes me think to much
b is for brutus: normally i play ladder on auto pilot

Dek takes a hard hit in order to get Stealth Rock up. I can’t say that I would have done the same thing as Uxie has any number of good switch-ins on my team and would have taken a bit less damage from something else. I hit attack again, but I know what’s happening next. Dek’s Chansey is coming in.

b is for brutus switched in Chansey (lvl 100 Chansey ?).
Shaymin used Seed Flare.
Chansey lost 29% of its health.
Chansey's special defence was harshly lowered.
---

Even with those monstrous SpD and HP stats, it still takes 30% from a Life Orb Seed Flare, pretty impressive if I do say so myself. I also hit the jackpot and nab a SpD drop meaning I can stay in and spam Seed Flare a little more since now it 2HKOs Chansey. This is actually really important because if he had been able to Wish for free and then go back to Uxie, or his Staraptor, it would have been trouble. Luckily now he has to Wish only to keep his own Chansey alive rather than its team mates.

Shaymin used Seed Flare.
Chansey lost 61% of its health.
Chansey used Wish.
Chansey made a wish!
---

I saw that coming from a mile away. With Leftovers and repeated usage of Protect and Wish he can stall my Seed Flare out of PP, and barring another SpD drop from Seed Flare, I can’t beat Chansey before I run out of Seed Flares. I know a Protect is coming, but just in case he decides to bring in his Roserade or Staraptor, they’re not going to like the Psychic to the face. Not to mention using Psychic saves me from wasting a Seed Flare PP.

Chansey used Protect.
Chansey protected itself!
Shaymin used Psychic.
The wish came true!
Chansey restored 50% of its health.
---

I’m worried that Dek will switch out to one of his Grass resists next turn, so in hindsight I make a pretty bad move. I want to hit them hard on the switch-in so I’m going with Psychic again.

Shaymin used Psychic.
Chansey lost 27% of its health.
Chansey used Seismic Toss.
Shaymin lost 29% of its health.
---

I don’t know if Dek was just sacrificing his Chansey to Shaymin, or whether or not he was predicting me perfectly but either way he’s forcing me into a do or die situation. I have 4% health left which means that one more hit kills my Shaymin because of Life Orb recoil. Regardless of whether or not I choose Psychic again, his Roserade will survive (it takes like, 75% from it) and my Shaymin will die. And if I choose to Seed Flare to maybe beat Chansey, he could switch to Roserade any way and it would take even less damage and I’d still have a dead Shaymin. My choice is clear, I have to Rest off the damage and try to break his Chansey again later, I just can’t afford to kill my Shaymin yet.

Shaymin used Rest.
Shaymin fell asleep!
Shaymin restored 96% of its health.
Chansey used Wish.
Chansey made a wish!
---

Yeah, Dek predicts this turn perfectly and goes for a Wish. I’m pretty sure that he will Seismic Toss to waste his turn while he gets the Wish health, so I’m going to Staraptor. Mainly because it means a free substitute for me, and something is getting hit nice and hard.

b is for brutus switched in Uxie (lvl 100 Uxie).
LonelyNess switched in Staraptor (lvl 100 Staraptor ?).
Staraptor's intimidate cut Uxie's attack!
Pointed stones dug into Staraptor.
Staraptor lost 25% of its health.
The wish came true!
Uxie restored 50% of its health.
---

Ok, this sucks. I have taken a lot of damage and relatively speaking Dek is fresh and new. I know for a fact that his Uxie does not have either Knock Off or Thunder Wave, and those are the only two moves that would threaten my Staraptor. I’m pretty sure that it’s safe to spam Brave Bird. Something is taking a hard hit.

b is for brutus switched in Rotom (lvl 100 Rotom).
Staraptor used Brave Bird.
It's not very effective...
Rotom lost 43% of its health.
Staraptor was hit by recoil!
Staraptor lost 14% of its health.
Staraptor lost 10% of its health.
---

Something did take a hard hit, but unfortunately it was Rotom who can take ANOTHER hard hit and return for the OHKO with Thunderbolt. I can’t afford to lose my Staraptor either because I need its brute strength. I figure he’s going to play conservatively and go for the kill rather than maybe using Will-O-Wisp so I go to my Rhydon who has his lovely Electric immunity.

LonelyNess switched in Rhydon (lvl 100 Rhydon ?).
Pointed stones dug into Rhydon.
Rhydon lost 6% of its health.
Rotom used Thunderbolt.
It doesn't affect Rhydon...
---

There’s nothing so satisfying as getting in a Rhydon for free. Rhydon hits like a ton of bricks and Rotom has no business staying in on it as it only likes taking resisted hits. Rather than Substitute like I normally would, I choose to attack straight off because I know that his team has Spikes on it and I don’t want to mount too much self inflicted damage when I could very well be facing multiple layers of indirect pain.

Rhydon used Stone Edge.
Uxie lost 39% of its health.
---

I hit his Uxie for pretty good damage. The last battle I was in, Dek used Toxic on my Rhydon, completely eliminating its chance to continuously come in the entire game. I don’t want that to happen this time, so I’m going back to Shaymin to absorb a little status and hopefully put the pressure on his Chansey again.

Pointed stones dug into Shaymin.
Shaymin lost 12% of its health.
Uxie used Toxic.
Uxie's attack missed!
---

That was a lucky break, but it really didn’t matter too much to be honest. The extra damage from Toxic would have been negligible. Chansey is too low on health to be a direct switch-in to Shaymin’s Seed Flare, and Roserade has to worry about Psychic. But Uxie resists Psychic, so me using it is a risk. Uxie is also slower than Shaymin meaning it will take the attack if it chooses to U-turn. Given the fact that Uxie will survive both a Seed Flare or a Psychic regardless, him using U-turn seems to be an inevitability as he plays incredibly conservatively. Not wanting to give him an absolute free U-turn, I aim to hit him as hard as I can before he leaves.

Shaymin used Seed Flare.
Uxie lost 49% of its health.
Uxie's special defence was harshly lowered.
Uxie used U-turn.
It's super effective!
Shaymin lost 22% of its health.
b is for brutus switched in Roserade (lvl 100 Roserade ?).
---

Awesome, I take a sizable chunk of health away from his Uxie and it’s all but dead now. Roserade comes in, and while I hate to give Dek free turns, I would hate to lose my Shaymin to a Sludge Bomb even more. I’m pretty sure that a Spikes is coming, but I don’t want to risk Shaymin’s life, so I’m going with the sure counter.

LonelyNess switched in Crobat (lvl 100 Crobat ?).
Pointed stones dug into Crobat.
Crobat lost 25% of its health.
Roserade used Spikes.
Spikes were scattered everywhere!
Spikes were scattered around the foe's team!
---

That was a good move by Dek as even if I would have stayed in to Psychic, I wouldn’t have OHKOd, and he could have switched to Chansey on the second Psychic seeing as how a Seed Flare + Psychic doesn’t 2HKO. With residual damage mounting, I need to start hitting things harder otherwise I won’t be in this game for long.

b is for brutus switched in Staraptor (lvl 100 Staraptor ?).
Staraptor's intimidate cut Crobat's attack!
Crobat used Brave Bird.
Staraptor lost 32% of its health.
Crobat was hit by recoil!
Crobat lost 12% of its health.
---

Staraptor takes a mighty hit coming in, but not enough to do any “real” damage. Dek’s Staraptor knows Roost / Brave Bird / Close Combat / Whirlwind. My Rhydon does a pretty good job at stopping it, and Dek knows it. I’ve been playing conservatively this entire match too, so I think I need to switch it up a bit. I’m thinking that Dek will predict my Rhydon switch-in and go with Whirlwind or Close Combat… either of which my Crobat doesn’t mind taking. I take this advantage to do some extra damage to his Staraptor with Brave Bird.

Crobat used Brave Bird.
Staraptor lost 32% of its health.
Crobat lost 12% of its health.
Staraptor used Whirlwind.
LonelyNess switched in Gallade (lvl 100 Gallade ?).
Pointed stones dug into Gallade.
Gallade lost 6% of its health.
Gallade was hurt by Spikes!
Gallade lost 12% of its health.
---

Excellent, I couldn’t have asked for a better turn. Not only did I predict correctly and Dek used Whirlwind, but it brought out Gallade too! Now you may be thinking that Staraptor completely destroys Gallade, why would it be a good thing that it came in? The thing about it is that Gallade completely runs through his team without Staraptor. It is public enemy #1. I can guarantee that he will not risk using Close Combat predicting a Rhydon switch because if he fucks up, and I stay in and kill Staraptor, well… that’s game right there. His conservative playing will be his downfall here as I will get a lovely switch to Rhydon who will taste the first blood of the match.

Rhydon was hurt by Spikes!
Rhydon lost 12% of its health.
Rhydon lost 18% of its health.
Staraptor lost 6% of its health.
---

That went completely as expected. I got in Rhydon on a resisted Brave Bird and he’s now ready to wreck some havoc. I mash Stone Edge and wait for something to fall prey to his amazing base 120 Atk and dual 100 base power STAB moves.

Antique Roadshow has left the room.
Rhydon used Stone Edge.
Uxie lost 22% of its health.
b is for brutus's Uxie fainted.
(5-6)
---

I kind of figured he would bring Uxie in as it’s nothing more than a sacrifice at this point. I know that Roserade is coming in at this point, so there’s not a lot I can say.

I’ve said this a million times already, but Dek plays very conservatively. He won’t risk using Spikes again and me being reckless with my Rhydon, because if I am, he’s a goner. I’m nearly 100% sure that he will use a Grass type move instead. This is nice because it means a free switch-in to Crobat and a free Roost for healing or a Brave Bird to hit something hard.

Roserade used Grass Knot.
Crobat lost 11% of its health.
---

Ok, he’s been playing conservatively this entire match, so there’s no reason for me to believe he won’t continue this play style. I’m pretty sure he’ll switch to Rotom to sponge up the Brave Bird hit. So I take the opportunity to replenish a bit of my health as Crobat is looking a little low.

Crobat used Roost.
Crobat restored 50% of its health.
Roserade used Spikes.
Spikes were scattered around the foe's team!
---

>_< Dek takes this chance to NOT be predictable and goes with the riskier Spikes. It pays off for him because now he gets another layer in which makes switching around even harder for me. I sigh, and make my next move. It’s obvious that I need to Brave Bird here.

b is for brutus switched in Drapion (lvl 100 Drapion ?).
Crobat used Brave Bird.
Drapion lost 42% of its health.
Crobat lost 14% of its health.
---

Dek brings in Drapion and takes a pretty hefty hit. I’m worried to death at the prospect of him putting down a layer of Toxic Spikes as even one layer will do a lot of damage to both Gallade and Rhydon. Also, there’s the possibility of him using Whirlwind and me taking even more residual damage. I take the safe route and use Taunt.

Crobat used Taunt.
Drapion fell for the taunt!
Drapion used Crunch.
Crobat lost 32% of its health.
---

He crunches and puts a lot of pressure on my Crobat. I’m sitting at just above half health here, but I don’t want to give any more free switches away. I decide here and now that I’m using Brave Bird again to hopefully hit something hard enough to where it stays hurt. Luckily I know that I can take at least one more crunch even with the Brave Bird recoil, barring some strange damage range.

Crobat used Brave Bird.
Drapion lost 47% of its health.
Crobat lost 16% of its health.
Drapion used Crunch.
Crobat lost 34% of its health.
---

Drapion is left at low health, and Dek has only a few options. He can sacrifice his Drapion to Crobat on the off chance I choose Brave Bird, but this doesn’t really do anything considering it’s pretty likely I’ll roost next turn, especially since Crunch doesn’t 2HKO. Or he can bring in Rotom on the prospective Roost for a free switch. That seems to be the most likely scenario, so I oblige him and use Roost on my Crobat netting me a bit of my health back.

Crobat used Roost.
---

He makes the expected switch to Rotom, and I’m forced to switch out of him. I use U-turn just in case he double switches, as well as to do just enough damage to eliminate Leftovers recovery this turn.
I really need to stop him being able to switch around for free, so I am going to Clefable for a bit of my own Stealth Rock.

Crobat used U-turn.
Rotom lost 9% of its health.
LonelyNess switched in Clefable (lvl 100 Clefable ?).
Pointed stones dug into Clefable.
Clefable was hurt by Spikes!
Rotom used Thunderbolt.
Clefable lost 20% of its health.
---

This is a stalemate for us both, as I can’t do any damage to Rotom because it presumably has Rest, and my only way to hurt it is Toxic, and it can’t do enough damage before it runs out of Thunderbolts because I don’t have to Softboiled every turn. I’m thinking he’s going to bring in Drapion for a sacrifice just to see what my entire moveset could be. I take the expected switch as an opportunity to put my Stealth Rocks up.

b is for brutus switched in Drapion (lvl 100 Drapion ?).
Clefable used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around your foe’s team!
---

I have no idea what his full moveset is, but I’m pretty sure he lacks Swords Dance, so I am not worried about that. I take the turn to heal up to full health so that I don’t have to worry about something 2HKOing when it shouldn’t later.

Clefable used Softboiled.
Clefable restored 50% of its health.
Drapion used Whirlwind.
Shaymin was hurt by Spikes!
Shaymin lost 19% of its health.
---

I don’t know why he chose Whirlwind, but I suppose it did its job. It did a number to my Shaymin’s health with residual damage. I know he might be using Cross Poison, but a switch out kills my Shaymin for sure, and I don’t want that yet. I also don’t want him to bring in his Roserade to force me into a switch-out in case I use Earth Power to kill his Drapion. Therefore, I find the only reasonable option to be using Rest, if it has Cross Poison, so be it… but I could really use the full heal.

Shaymin used Rest.
Shaymin fell asleep!
Shaymin restored 75% of its health.
Drapion used Whirlwind.
Staraptor's intimidate cut Drapion's attack!
---

Excellent! Not only does he not have Cross Poison, but he Whirlwinds again curing me of my status ailment for free! I have a feeling he’s just trying to sacrifice his Drapion at this point and will not attack. Whirlwind also has the added benefit to him of blowing away a substitute that I might make. I take advantage of pretty much knowing that he’s going to Whirlwind to Roost and recover a bit of damage back.

Staraptor used Roost.
Staraptor restored 50% of its health.
Drapion used Whirlwind.
Gallade lost 19% of its health.
---

These Whirlwinds could not be going a better way. I get the heal on my Staraptor, and also Gallade comes out! A quick health check will reveal that Rotom is at 50% meaning it‘s dead to a Stone Edge or Shadow Sneak after the switch in, Staraptor is 40% also dead on anything hitting except for Shadow Sneak, and everything else is 2HKOd by Close Combat + Shadow Sneak. Something is dying this turn, and I have a feeling he’s just going to sacrifice Drapion.

Gallade used Close Combat.
Drapion lost 53% of its health.
b is for brutus's Drapion fainted.
(4-6)
Gallade's defence was lowered.
Gallade's special defence was lowered.
Gallade lost 10% of its health.

---

Staraptor's intimidate cut Gallade's attack!

Which he does. He also brings in the expected Staraptor in on my Gallade. Like I said before, he literally can not afford to not kill my Gallade. His team is too weak to its awesome attacks. I bring in Rhydon because I know he will Brave Bird. His Staraptor’s days are numbered.

Rhydon was hurt by Spikes!
Rhydon lost 19% of its health.
Rhydon lost 19% of its health.
Staraptor lost 7% of its health.
---

Awesome. Rhydon comes in to wall his Staraptor and Staraptor does just enough damage to itself to be in Stealth Rock KO range. All I need to do is prevent him from healing and then switch to Crobat to finish the job. I click Stone Edge, knowing it will do more than 50% damage even if he tries to Roost, and then I cry… as the following happens.

Staraptor used Roost.
Rhydon used Stone Edge.
Rhydon's attack missed!
---

LonelyNess: ugh

My sentiments exactly. Stone Edge misses… meaning that Staraptor is no longer within Stealth Rock KOing range, and what’s worse, a Close Combat from Staraptor is sure to kill my Rhydon. Things aren’t looking too great for my team anymore.

Staraptor used Close Combat.
It's super effective!
Rhydon lost 38% of its health.
LonelyNess's Rhydon fainted.
(4-5)
Staraptor's defence was lowered.
Staraptor's special defence was lowered.
---

b is for brutus: no idea why u didnt eq
b is for brutus: :P
LonelyNess: shut it

Oh god, why DIDN’T I use Earthquake??? Close Combat killing my Rhydon would have happened anyway, and if he didn’t choose to kill Rhydon, Earthquake hits the Roosting Staraptor. I feel so stupid right now leaving that up to an 80% chance to hit.
I bring in my own Staraptor only because I know it will OHKO his with Brave Bird, and do a number to the possible Rotom switch-in.

Staraptor's intimidate cut Staraptor's attack!

I decide here that Substituting is probably the best course of action. It helps me with prediction as I don’t want to Brave Bird unknowingly into Chansey and have the recoil OHKO my Staraptor (it’s happened before). So rather than Roost or Brave Bird, I choose the “safe” move and Substitute.

Staraptor used Substitute.
Staraptor made a substitute!
Gallade lost 19% of its health.
---

Unfortunately, he sees right through this and predicts my Substitute and uses Whirlwind. The last couple of times Gallade has come in, it’s been with welcome arms because it meant a free switch to my Rhydon, but with him gone, I have nothing left to do but say good bye to Gallade. Things are definitely not looking good for me.

It's super effective!
Gallade lost 22% of its health.
LonelyNess's Gallade fainted.
(4-4)
Staraptor lost 6% of its health.
---

I choose to bring in Staraptor again because now his own Staraptor is looking at a -2 drop in attack. It has no way of 2HKOing my own. Especially since I’m pretty sure this is Bulky Staraptor who isn’t running a lot of attack, if any at all. I use Roost, knowing full well that he’s probably going to Whirlwind away thinking I’ll either kill myself with Brave Bird, or he’ll hit me trying to Sub again.

Staraptor used Roost.
---

Lucky for me he brings out Shaymin. Now I know my damage calculations pretty well, and I know for a fact that even with the amount of HP he’s probably pumped into Staraptor even a NVE Seed Flare will take him out at this point. He’s probably going to switch to Chansey again to take the hit, which is fine with me. I just need to start getting momentum back in my favor.

Pointed stones dug into Chansey.
Chansey lost 12% of its health.
Shaymin used Seed Flare.
Chansey lost 28% of its health.
Chansey's special defence was harshly lowered.
---

Man, I’m catching a few good breaks here with another SpD lowering. I’m pretty sure he’s going to protect, but I’m not sure. I don’t want to risk him Wishing on a Psychic and then switching out, so I press Seed Flare again…

Chansey used Protect.
Shaymin used Seed Flare.
---

…and waste one of my precious PP. There’s no way that he’s staying in, and something is going to die next turn or the turn after because everything is within KO range of a Seed Flare + Psychic. Things are starting to look up finally.

Pointed stones dug into Rotom.
Rotom lost 12% of its health.
Shaymin used Seed Flare.
Rotom lost 42% of its health.
b is for brutus's Rotom fainted.
(3-4)
---

He sacrifices his Rotom which is GREAT news for my Staraptor. I’m pretty happy about how this is all turning out so far. I gear up for a Chansey switch in.

Chansey doesn’t have to worry about the SpD lowering anymore, and has the chance to finally regain some of its health. It’s probably going to protect again, so I don’t know why I decide to use Seed Flare and waste its last PP, but I do.

Chansey used Protect.
Shaymin used Seed Flare.
---

And now Shaymin has absolutely nothing to dent Chansey with. Seed Flare is out of PP and his effectiveness is essentially zero. I can’t let Chansey get a Wish for absolutely free, so I am going to Staraptor who will threaten Chansey and maybe force it out.

Staraptor's intimidate cut Chansey's attack!
Chansey used Wish.
Chansey made a wish!
---

This time, Substitute is THE option to use. I’m not worried at all about him using Seismic Toss, I’m almost 100% positive that he will be using Protect to save himself the health.

Staraptor used Substitute.
Staraptor made a substitute!
Chansey used Toxic.
But it failed!
The wish came true!
Chansey restored 50% of its health.
---

Protect or Toxic, it didn’t matter at that point. But I guess he figured I would Roost or something. Either way, I am in a great position with a substitute under my belt. I feel like I should avoid any chances that I might be revenged by Roosting off some of my damage. And as you will see in the next few turns it pays off.

Staraptor used Roost.
The substitute took damage for Staraptor!
Staraptor's substitute faded!

Staraptor, you are free to sweep about the country.
---

Staraptor used Close Combat.
Staraptor lost 36% of its health.
Staraptor's defence was lowered.
Staraptor's special defence was lowered.
Staraptor's leftovers restored its health a little!
Staraptor restored 6% of its health.
---

Err… so I thought. His Staraptor has been a pain my side this entire match, and I aim to end it now. I fear however that I might be a little low on health, and I take the opportunity to Roost, knowing that he too will probably Roost.

Staraptor used Roost.
Staraptor used Roost.
Staraptor's leftovers restored its health a little!
Staraptor restored 6% of its health.
---

And he does! Now my course is clear. I have to get an intimidate on him and have my Staraptor at a neutral attack. I bring in Shaymin for a Sacrifice so that I can bring back in my own Staraptor…

It's super effective!
Shaymin lost 18% of its health.
LonelyNess's Shaymin fainted.
(3-3)
Staraptor lost 5% of its health.
---

… and the plan goes off without a hitch. I am lucky that he didn’t Whrilwind and bring out Crobat because if that had happened, I might have lost. But it didn’t happen, so I don’t have to be sad about it.

I’m going balls to the wall in an attempt to rid this battle of his Staraptor once and for all. Brave Bird is going to hit it for a ton of damage. Let’s end this.

Staraptor lost 85% of its health.
Staraptor lost 34% of its health.
---

And there we go, it’s over. Dek’s Staraptor is in Stealth Rock KO range so it can’t switch out, and it’s slower than my Crobat. The biggest thorn in my side has finally been eliminated.

Crobat used Brave Bird.
Staraptor lost 21% of its health.
b is for brutus's Staraptor fainted.
(2-3)
Crobat lost 8% of its health.
---

The next few turns are a bit boring as I heal up in order to give Crobat the necessary health to win the game.

Crobat used Roost.
Crobat lost 30% of its health.
---

Crobat used Roost.
Crobat restored 44% of its health.
---

With the necessay health in toe, I can now U-turn to Clefable and solidify the win.

Crobat used U-turn.
Chansey lost 17% of its health.
LonelyNess switched in Clefable (lvl 100 Clefable ?).
Pointed stones dug into Clefable.
Clefable was hurt by Spikes!
Clefable lost 25% of its health.
---

Toxicing Chansey is all I need to do to win this match.

Clefable used Toxic.
Chansey was badly poisoned!
Chansey used Wish.
Chansey made a wish!
Chansey is hurt by poison!
Chansey lost 6% of its health.
---
In comes Staraptor to be sacrificed so I can have a free switch to Crobat.

Staraptor's intimidate cut Chansey's attack!
Staraptor lost 22% of its health.
LonelyNess's Staraptor fainted.
(2-2)
Chansey used Toxic.
But there was no target!
The wish came true!
Chansey restored 13% of its health.
---

And finally, the nail in Dek’s coffin. The final Taunt that will force him to switch out to his Roserade.

Crobat used Taunt.
Chansey fell for the taunt!
Chansey used Wish.
Chansey can't use Wish after the taunt!
Chansey lost 18% of its health.
---

Now there’s nothing to do but Stall him out using Roost.

Crobat used Roost.
Crobat restored 42% of its health.
Chansey lost 25% of its health.
---

Pointed stones dug into Roserade.
Roserade lost 12% of its health.
Crobat used Roost.
Crobat restored 23% of its health.
---

Crobat used Brave Bird.
Chansey lost 44% of its health.
Crobat lost 28% of its health.
---

LonelyNess: gg, dek

Crobat used Brave Bird.
Chansey lost 6% of its health.
b is for brutus's Chansey fainted.
(1-2)
Crobat lost 3% of its health.
---

b is for brutus: i knew i wasnt in a mood
b is for brutus: for this battle
b is for brutus: i told u
b is for brutus: ;D

Pointed stones dug into Roserade.
Roserade lost 12% of its health.

LonelyNess: You know I love you
LonelyNess: <3 (no homo)
b is for brutus: same
b is for brutus: lol

Crobat used Brave Bird.
It's super effective!
Roserade lost 100% of its health.
b is for brutus's Roserade fainted.
(0-2)
LonelyNess wins!
b is for brutus has left the room.
-------

A fantastic battle filled with prediction that was close and could have been won by either of us right up to the end, I couldn’t have asked for a better match. And now...

Props
  • b is for brutus (Dekzeh) for being a fantastic opponent.
  • Rhydon for walling Staraptor long enough to do some serious damage on his team.
  • Gallade for giving me enough free switches to Rhydon because it's so dangerous.
  • Shaymin for getting SpD lowing at the right time and putting pressure on his Chansey.
  • Crobat for in general being badass.
  • Staraptor for being the star of the show softening up Dek's own team enough for a Crobat stall / sweep at the end!
  • Clefable for getting up Rocks as well as Toxicing when necessary.
  • EVERY POKEMON DID SOMETHING IMPORTANT!
Slops
  • Choosing Stone Edge with Rhydon when I could have had Staraptor dead in the start of the battle. >_<
  • For all together playing a bit too conservatively and making a few over / under predictions.
  • Letting Dek gets TONS OF FREAKING SPIKES...
  • Any other instances where I may have played badly and not noticed.

Great warstory. :)

I was actually just wondering why I hadn't seen any Rhydon yet (I'm catching them on Pearl, and they're goddamn strong >_>) and here you go with one!

Really shows that stall doesn't totally dominate in UU. Probably the best warstory for UU I've seen! Great job.

use rock slide on rhydon it may work well.
no more stone edge misses >_<.
Great read.

Also its really interesting how bulky raptor is viable charting the evolution of a metagame truly is fascinating.

There's only one small nitpick - Rhydon has 130 base attack. It was really interesting to see one being used that well. Interesting match with good commentary and nice predictions. Props from me for using NFE's, especially that Rhydon (is that CB one ?). Also that bulkiness of BulkyRaptor is quite surprising. Anyway I enjoyed reading that warstory. Good job LonelyNess ;).

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I found it slightly ironic that Gallade didn't really get to show its full potential, though. Interesting to see two bulky Staraptors in one match, most of them seem to be banded for me. Nice warstory, solidly played and written.

Very nice match, LN. I appreciated how you stressed how important Gallade was, mentally, regardless of how many KOs it scored. Especially how Staraptor didn't risk anything but a Brave Bird when going up against it.

Also the shake-ups in conservative/risky play was all good and fun. B for Brutus didn't come off too well, prediction-wise in the story, but i've played him before and he definitely is extremely solid.

4.5 Stars, rounded up to 5! good job!

Great Warstory, LN.
I really enjoyed the few NFE's thrown in, and the formatting was nice and simple, which made it a breeze to read.

Rhydon is really good. I personally use the Rock Polish set.

Good warstory

Although I don´t get your opponent didn´t just use Close Combat against Rhydon isntead of trying to Roost.

It was just another unsuspecting day of laddering on the UU ladder. I had begun to get in a real groove with my current team until b is for brutus showed up on the ladder and made me actually think... he had won our previous encounters for the day, each ONE hard faught to the bitter end. But the following battle that took place was definitely the best of the three. Because both of use knew each other's teams (not exactly full movesets, but at least the pokemon involved), there is no "surpise" to be kept in terms of what we're each packing. So here are the teams.
that needs to be fixed. but it's a great read. very nice battle and comments

You did a really good job on the comments and a I liked the colors, no obnoxious bright ones. Good job all around.

On the turn both Staraptors roosted, why didn't you use CLose Combat? Was it because you didn't want to risk a speed tie, or was it because you knew you couldn't OHKO it?

The interesting part of this warstory to me was the fact that while Gallade would have seemed useless at first glance, it actually dictated quite a lot of the battle. Since Gallade has so few real checks, your opponent's Staraptor was forced to Brave Bird it every time it appeared, allowing Rhydon more switches than it might have otherwise gotten. That raptor was out on the field for a good chunk of the battle, too.

P.S. - Between the Brave Birds and the Life Orb recoil, you sure take a lot of residual damage, haha.

The match was awesome, great nUU struggle. The commentary was fantastic. There isn't much else to say (it's self explanatory). Terrific warstory LN.

Nice story. The thing that kind of confused me is that, if you knew you were going to have a free turn with Rhydon, why didn't you Sub?

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Great warstory LN. I saw it was a UU match, with you on the by-line -- so I expected to get a good educational read on what's going on with the UU game. I'm happy to say, I got even more than I expected.

The strategic triad you had with Gallade-Staraptor-Rhydon was brilliant. Your opponent didn't give you many breaks. I can see his shuffle strategy causing big problems for most teams and battlers. It certainly caused you a fair share of trouble too, but you handled it masterfully.

Overall, a well-formatted warstory with great writing to explain your thinking the whole way through. Nice job!

dekzeh

B is for BRUTUS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I hate you!
I beat you like 5 times in a row and you decide to warstory just the battle you won!

Haha anyway I don't ladder anymore, haven't been on Shoddy for a while.
That team peaked 3rd in the ladder tho, and yeah nice game LN.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)