Language rule should be put to vote - discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.
After being made aware of the latest rules regarding chat speak in particular chat acronyms I found them incredibly strict for what is just a pokemon simulator where I presume the majority of users are under 20 yrs of age... Sure my reaction to the mods was one of annoyance but hey I enjoy annoying people who feel so damn strong about what is generally accpeted norm in chat rooms...
Im only writing this complaint because for a community made game, made for the community, people being banned, kicked and muted for not adhering to finicky and excessive language rules is a joke, and im sure im not the only one...
cudos for trying to make it a more proffesional simulator and the lab is a great improvement, but being pulled up by admins over language is like being in a chat room with a tutor from uni...me thinks the power of being in a high position of power in a pokemon simulator has gone to most of your heads...
as far as I know I didnt break any rules, except being a smartarse over what should be at this point in time a 'bill' if you will, that should only be passed if the majority of chat room users really find chat acronyms distastefull...
im not trying to stir up trouble, just merely hoping that the sim does not turn into a chatroom where constant suck ups and know it alls dominate, where if you show a bit of "attitude" you get banned...
nyway discuss, open to both sides, im gonna stick to battling, but i will and should be allowed to pick up language errors on mods then :)

yours truely
Kecleon

How about a vote for a actual pokelab social chat? If this doesnt go then the harsh language policy has to go. Saying "ur" and "u" has been in chat rooms since the beginning of time.Yes stupid chat is annoying but this game is for kids and a no kids allowed policy would hurt the site.In a forum yes in a chat room no way.

Curtains said:
Yes stupid chat is annoying but this game is for kids and a no kids allowed policy would hurt the site.
This rule is already forcibly active because of COPPA. That said, I disagree with the OP anyway. Shoddy Battle 1 chat was particularly awful, and forcing this chat to be better is in no way unfair or unjust; the moderators and designers of the program have the right of it here. We want a better quality chat so that Smogon regulars do not 'give up' on PL's #main and turn to IRC, which is a major contributing factor to how ridiculously poor SB1's general chat was.

This rule is already forcibly active because of COPPA. That said, I disagree with the OP anyway. Shoddy Battle 1 chat was particularly awful, and forcing this chat to be better is in no way unfair or unjust; the moderators and designers of the program have the right of it here. We want a better quality chat so that Smogon regulars do not 'give up' on PL's #main and turn to IRC, which is a major contributing factor to how ridiculously poor SB1's general chat was.
Oh please #stark and its "smogon regulars" isnt any better than the old sb1 chat. Just fewer people.I see the same amount of N words on #stark than i did in sb1. I just think a social tab should be sufficient because not everyone can access irc, this way we have a "smogon regular" (whatever that means) heavily modded chat and a normal chat where we can talk about non pokemon things and chat with out the fear of accidentally typing something that will get our account killed on site.

mingot

free agent
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Please. Quit with the drama. No one is getting "their account killed on site". People are getting warned and then muted in the main chat. We're not even kicking people off of the server. Hell, it doesn't even stop you from battling.

And to even equate being told not not intentionally misspell "you" with being in a chat room with a uni tutor ... eish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)