Social Language Exchange

Post your experiences about learning a foreign language, whether it be English or Ancient Greek, talk about it!

I’ve personally been studying Chinese for the past two years, and I could probably get around town, tho tones fucking suck so.

I’m also trying Hawaiian because I wanna retire there

Idk if it's really the initial topic, but I'd like to know if anyone here managed to *actually* become decent at a foreign language using Duolingo/Babbel/(insert competitor name here), cuz I saw a bunch of people I know using that but they don't seem to be able to speak anything of the language they're learning there lol are they doing it wrong or are those a scam?

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Idk if it's really the initial topic, but I'd like to know if anyone here managed to *actually* become decent at a foreign language using Duolingo/Babbel/(insert competitor name here), cuz I saw a bunch of people I know using that but they don't seem to be able to speak anything of the language they're learning there lol are they doing it wrong or are those a scam?
This was touched on in an earlier post in this thread, but you might also be able to find more examples
The thing to understand about Duolingo is that its weird and unhelpful sentences aren't meant to be useful sentences. Since Duolingo isn't a phrasebook, these sentences serve the purpose of drilling you on constructions and creating new phrases from the get-go, without going through a mountain of texts like textbooks would have you do. In German, they might teach you "ich bin ein Apfel," along with other nouns such as "Mann," "Mädchen," etc. Well, now you know how to say 3 sentences for the price of one (ich bin ein Apfel, ich bin ein Man, ich bin ein Mädchen). These drills take a while, though, and that can be a problem as Duolingo might be the most mind-numbing experience for you if you dislike the medium. Really, the most difficult language you can learn is one that isn't fun for you (applies to language apps and how you learn the language, as well).

That said, Duolingo itself isn't something that works all on its own. Really, it's a supplement. Usually you can pair Duolingo with a textbook or course in school for some extra vocabulary. If it were me, though, I'd just use Anki for that extra vocab and grammar. Some people have trouble with Anki's UI being so sterile. The issue with most language apps nowadays is that the "good" ones all cost money. Duolingo is free, but now paywalls its decent features which were the only features distinguishing it from just a flashcards app with fancier graphics. Every other decent app with innovative features won't allow you to learn more than 5 vocabulary words without saying "oops, that's enough language to you, give me money, now." That's a different rant, but using an app on a subscription service just isn't a good idea unless you want your money drained. A better one-time purchase is a text-book, such as Deutsch Aktuell.
To not only be about the above, I've started learning Spanish through Duolingo now for a month. I enjoy it a whole lot more than the French I studied in school and I like the setup that Duolingo does. I'll prob invest in some other form of teaching down the line if I plan to get more serious, but for now it's a nice thing to keep my mind occupied with.

Flare

ENDURANCE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have an older brother who's been practicing French using Duolingo, for a couple of years now, and while it hasn't made him speak it at an advanced level, it certainly has helped him a lot to engage in brief conversations with other people who speak French, as well as with his college studies in French exams. I suppose it won't work the exact same way for everyone, lots of factors to take in, such as the time spent, how well the person can assimilate the content, the habit of using the app to continue learning, etc. The app, in my opinion, is effective for its intended purpose, which is to introduce you to the fundamentals of the language you want to learn and help you familiarise yourself with it in a very entertaining way, from there onwards though, I think people should try to find more ways to keep polishing such language, expand their vocabulary and whatnot. It's pretty much what I did to learn English (not with Duolingo though, but the old-school way back in the day), not the best, but I can handle it!

Also, you just reminded me I probably should start over with my Italian language practices, so thanks :D

BreadLoeuf

[bɹɛd.lœf]
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I'd like to learn German.. But it's pretty difficult for me:blobpensive:
Sometimes you need to figure out what's difficult for you and how you can solve that issue. Are there certain linguistics concepts (for instance: "what's a case declension?") that are stopping you from proceeding in your learning? Are you someone who benefits from very specific instructions on how to speak/write (like I am) or do you prefer learning through practising words, phrases, and understanding nuance through context?

Learning a language itself is going to be difficult, so all you can do is make it as fun as you can for yourself. It's a marathon, not a sprint. :3

tendokiddo

Banned deucer.
Hello, Salut ! I am a native English-American player here. I also speak French. I'm learning Spanish, too. Ravi de vous rencontrer tout le monde ! I sometimes use Duolingo to help me with my French, otherwise, I just teach myself. What languages do y'all speak here?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)