Fighting / Dragon

HP-------100--||||||||||
Attack---135--|||||||||||||
Defense-115--|||||||||||
Sp. Atk.---85--||||||||
Sp. Def.-100--||||||||||
Speed---135--|||||||||||||
--------------------------------------

Koraidon is currently our second Uber and has been seen by many as inferior to the other new kid in town [Miraidon].
However, I'd like to say that I believe Koraidon is quite possibly the most potent setup sweeper and attacker in the tier, here are some setup sets I'd like to showcase.

Quick heads up: you're going to be seeing the same 3 moves in Close Combat (Or Collision Course if you want*), Dragon Claw (Or Outrage if you're a crackhead) and Heavy Slam, as dual STAB is all Koraidon really needs and Heavy Slam is almost mandatory for dealing with Flutter Mane.

Agility (Koraidon) @ Life Orb / Lum Berry / Leftovers
Ability: Orichalcum Pulse
Tera Type: Fighting / Steel / Fairy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Dragon Claw
- Heavy Slam / Flare Blitz
- Agility

Agility lets Koraidon turn what would be a hard check in Flutter Mane into an opportunity to start launching high power attacks after a boost.
This set threatens to clean up late game hard, especially since it outruns every other viable speed control (Scarf Roaring Moon, Scarf Koraidon, Scarf Miraidon).
The only thing that can revenge KO it is a timid Scarf Flutter Mane in sun or a banded Scizor after multiple rounds of Life Orb recoil and Close Combat defence drops.
The Tera typing is quite simple -- Fighting is the strongest, Fairy lets you turn a Draco Meteor from a KO into setup fodder and Steel lets you absorb revenge KO attempts from Flutter Mane while also packing a handy resist to Draco meteor.

Flare Blitz can be used over Heavy Slam, but, your 2 STABS hit pretty much everything and with a Life Orb; Flare Blitzl will also KO you after like 2 rounds of Life Orb recoil.

Swords Dance + 3 attacks (Koraidon) @ Lum Berry / Leftovers / Life Orb
Tera Type: Fighting / Steel
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Dragon Claw
- Flame Charge
- Swords Dance

With Swords Dance, Koraidon sweeps -- Simple as.
Although the Ubers metagame is filled with things that either outrun or speed tie with Koraidon, there's nothing more threatening than a +2 roided out crack Groudon launching STAB Close Combat's at every which way.
You could swing switch predicting in your favour by slotting on Substitute, but, you either lose a STAB or can't hit Flutter Mane by doing so.
Flame Charge is helpful for hitting Flutter but basically requires you to hit it on the switch.
Flame Charge can also let you snowball games by getting +1 speed and +2 attack which is basically an auto win unless you get unlucky against an opposing scarf Koraidon, Miraidon or encounter a Scarf Flutter Mane in sun.

Double Dance (Koraidon) @ Lum Berry / Leftovers / Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Heavy Slam / Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Agility

This set is highly experimental;
In exchange for coverage, you get raw sweeping power in Double Dance -- this set, while hard for anything but screens to pull off, easily has the highest reward factor possible.
Although, being weak to timid scarf Flutter Mane because of it abusing your own sun isn't too good of a thing, so be careful when building with this set and be even more careful when actually using it.
Flare Blitz can be used over Heavy Slam, however, it will probably KO you with recoil when you consider the amount of damage it does to most of its targets and as such is not recommended with Life Orb.

Now here are some sets that are more on the defensive side of things.

Substitute (Koraidon) @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Fighting
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Dragon Claw
- Heavy Slam
- Substitute

This set lets you sub up on a switch, recover off with Drain Punch and be an overall nuisance to your opponent.
You need not even use Tera Steel to beat Flutter Mane, as Substitute on the switch + Heavy Slam do the job mighty fine.
A potential modification to the set could be max HP instead of max attack, but, I don't really like how that factors in with Drain Punch's low base power.
The reason Heavy Slam is used over Flare Blitz or Flame Charge here is because Flame Charge does not OHKO Flutter Mane and Flare Blitz cuts into your longevity, meaning you'd have less HP to use Substitute with.
This set is incredibly useful for just coming in and forcing KO's on things and being an overall thorn in your opponents side, but, it requires hazard removal for Toxic Spikes.

Drain Tank (Koraidon) @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Dragon Claw
- Flame Charge / Heavy Slam
- Bulk Up

I experimented with a set similar to this but with Substitute, but, found it impossible to fit on along the 3 offensive moves you want and found it insanely hard to get a Bulk Up and Substitute off in the same game, since Ubers is so hyper-offence oriented as of now.
This set loves Great Tusk lacking Play Rough as it effortlessly achieves multiple Bulk Ups against even Ice Spinner variants and mows down teams with ease once threats like Flutter Mane are disposed of.
Flame Charge as the third move is recommended over Slam because it can potentially snowball you to a victory with speed boosts and at +1 with max attack investment OHKO's Flutter Mane.
Just like the last set, max HP can be used over max attack; It would most likely benefit from it more, although, Heavy Slam over Flame Charge would be highly recommended to actually KO Flutter Mane.

Lastly, here's a quick pivot / wallbreaker / speed control set that uses the same EVs and moves for everything

Koraidon @ Choice Band / Choice Scarf / Leftovers / Heavy Duty Boots
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat / Collision Course
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz / Heavy Slam / Flame Charge
- U-turn

Boots are pretty useless on this unless you're afraid of spikes stack -- since Koraidon is already rock resistant, thus making leftovers equivalent in effect to boots if the only hazard up is Stealth Rock.
Flare Blitz is used in the third move slot for the sheer damage it deals, however, if you're concerned with both longevity and hitting Flutter Mane, you can slot on Heavy Slam or even Flame Charge.

In conclusion, Koraidon really can do it all -- Sweeping, pivoting, wallbreaking, etc...
It can do all these things and in multiple ways with multiple sets -- if you screw around too hard, you could easily get destroyed by the right Koraidon set in the wrong place.
That being said, it still does have flaws, such as an inability to defeat Play Rough variants of physically defensive Great Tusk without either using Tera or being out of sun with a crazy high attack boost already; The lack of sun cuts into its power a bit, however.

Edits: Edited some of the sets (Swords Dance uses Flame Charge and Choice Band uses Flare Blitz.).
Also I finally changed every instance of "Flutter Moon" to "Flutter Mane" -- Sorry about messing that up the first time.

Last edited:

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
Hi, generally speaking you have to request permission to post threads on Smogon.

In saying that, you're trying to do the same thing that is done in OU with pokemon threads, and its clear that you've put some decent time and thought into this, so I'm happy for this to be a general Koraidon discussion thread until the gen develops a bit, so I wont be closing or locking this. Welcome to the forums, hope you enjoy your time here.

FatFighter2

zacian waifu :flushed:
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
View attachment 467113
Koraidon

Fighting / Dragon

HP-------100--||||||||||
Attack---135--|||||||||||||
Defense-115--|||||||||||
Sp. Atk.---85--||||||||
Sp. Def.-100--||||||||||
Speed---135--|||||||||||||

Koraidon is currently our second Uber and has been seen by many as inferior to the other new kid in town [Miraidon].
However, I'd like to say that I believe Koraidon is quite possibly the most potent setup sweeper and attacker in the tier, here are some setup sets I'd like to showcase.

Quick heads up: you're going to be seeing the same 3 moves in Close Combat (Or Collision Course if you want*), Dragon Claw (Or Outrage if you're a crackhead) and Heavy Slam, as dual STAB is all Koraidon really needs and Heavy Slam is almost mandatory for dealing with Flutter Moon.

Agility (Koraidon) @ Life Orb / Lum Berry / Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Dragon Claw
- Heavy Slam
- Agility

Agility lets Koraidon turn what would be a hard check in Flutter Moon into an opportunity to start launching high power attacks after a boost.
This set threatens to clean up late game hard, especially since it outruns every other viable speed control (Scarf Roaring Moon, Scarf Koraidon, Scarf Miraidon).
The only thing that can revenge KO it is a timid Scarf Flutter Moon in sun or a banded Scizor after multiple rounds of Life Orb recoil and Close Combat defence drops.
The Tera typing is quite simple -- Fighting is the strongest, Fairy lets you turn a Draco Meteor from a KO into setup fodder and Steel lets you absorb revenge KO attempts from Flutter Moon while also packing a handy resist to Draco meteor.

Swords Dance + 3 attacks (Koraidon) @ Lum Berry / Leftovers / Life Orb
Tera Type: Fighting / Steel
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Dragon Claw
- Heavy Slam
- Swords Dance

With Swords Dance, Koraidon sweeps -- Simple as.
Although the Ubers metagame is filled with things that either outrun or speed tie with Koraidon, there's nothing more threatening than a +2 roided out crack Groudon launching STAB Close Combat's at every which way.
You could swing switch predicting in your favour by slotting on Substitute, but, you either lose a STAB or can't hit Flutter Moon by doing so.

Double Dance (Koraidon) @ Lum Berry / Leftovers / Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Heavy Slam
- Swords Dance
- Agility

This set is highly experimental;
In exchange for coverage, you get raw sweeping power in Double Dance -- this set, while hard for anything but screens to pull off, easily has the highest reward factor possible.
Although, being weak to timid scarf Flutter Moon because of it abusing your own sun isn't too good of a thing, so be careful when building with this set and be even more careful when actually using it.

Now here are some sets that are more on the defensive side of things.

Substitute (Koraidon) @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Dragon Claw
- Heavy Slam
- Substitute

This set lets you sub up on a switch, recover off with Drain Punch and be an overall nuisance to your opponent.
You need not even use Tera Steel to beat Flutter Moon, as Substitute on the switch + Heavy Slam do the job mighty fine.
A potential modification to the set could be max HP instead of max attack, but, I don't really like how that factors in with Drain Punch's low base power.

Drain Tank (Koraidon) @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Dragon Claw
- Heavy Slam
- Bulk Up

I experimented with a set similar to this but with Substitute, but, found it impossible to fit on along the 3 offensive moves you want and found it insanely hard to get a Bulk Up and Substitute off in the same game, since Ubers is so hyper-offence oriented as of now.
This set loves Great Tusk lacking Play Rough as it effortlessly achieves multiple Bulk Ups against even Ice Spinner variants and mows down teams with ease once threats like Flutter Moon are disposed of.
Just like the last set, max HP can be used over max attack; It would most likely benefit from it more.

Lastly, here's a quick pivot / wallbreaker / speed control set that uses the same EVs and moves for everything

Koraidon @ Choice Band / Choice Scarf / Leftovers / Heavy Duty Boots
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Heavy Slam
- U-turn

Boots are pretty useless on this unless you're afraid of spikes stack -- since Koraidon is already rock resistant, thus making leftovers equivalent in effect to boots if the only hazard up is Stealth Rock.

In conclusion, Koraidon really can do it all -- Sweeping, pivoting, wallbreaking, etc...
It can do all these things and in multiple ways with multiple sets -- if you screw around too hard, you could easily get destroyed by the right Koraidon set in the wrong place.
That being said, it still does have flaws, such as an inability to defeat Play Rough variants of physically defensive Great Tusk without either using Tera or being out of sun with a crazy high attack boost already; The lack of sun cuts into its power a bit, however.
most of these sets are fine except I would exchange heavy slam for flare blitz (boosted by sun)

most of these sets are fine except I would exchange heavy slam for flare blitz (boosted by sun)
Heavy Slam KO’s Flutter Moon and miscellaneous Fairy Terastralizations.
Flare Blitz also KO’s Flutter Moon, but, I’d be a bit hesitant on using it for sets that either rely on or struggle with longevity such as Life Orb or Bulk Up / Sub sets, due to recoil;
Close Combat and Dragon Claw already hit the whole meta super hard so it doesn’t matter too much what your third move is, as long as it works.

Hi, generally speaking you have to request permission to post threads on Smogon.

In saying that, you're trying to do the same thing that is done in OU with pokemon threads, and its clear that you've put some decent time and thought into this, so I'm happy for this to be a general Koraidon discussion thread until the gen develops a bit, so I wont be closing or locking this. Welcome to the forums, hope you enjoy your time here.
Sorry, I’m super new here so I didn’t know.
I just saw the lack of Ubers posts and thought “maybe I should contribute something.”.
Is there somewhere I can check in with / someone I can ask for next time I want to post a thread?

FatFighter2

zacian waifu :flushed:
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
Heavy Slam KO’s Flutter Moon and miscellaneous Fairy Terastralizations.
Flare Blitz also KO’s Flutter Moon, but, I’d be a bit hesitant on using it for sets that either rely on or struggle with longevity such as Life Orb or Bulk Up / Sub sets, due to recoil;
Close Combat and Dragon Claw already hit the whole meta super hard so it doesn’t matter too much what your third move is, as long as it works.
flare blitz is superior simply because it hits more and much harder in sun (esp with tera fire, tera fire can nuke past Skeledirge for instance). Heavy slam is only useful if you are really worried about some random fairy tera, and even then blitz usually gets the job done because heavy slam is not much stronger than blitz in sun.

SD / Flame Charge / Flare Blitz / Dragon Claw with Tera Fire goes absolutely stupid in this meta, especially behind screens. Fire + Dragon coverage hits just about everything neutrally and since you're Tera Fire, you flip the script vs Flutter Mane, getting a free +1 speed with Flame Charge which hilariously OHKOes without even needing a Swords Dance while Sun is up.

I feel like Koraidon is slightly better than Miraidon in terms of team support, as the past paradox mons are all quite good, especially flutter mane who definitely appreciates the free +1 speed. That being said, no team paste here, just saying heat rock can be alright. Also chlorophyll scovillain could work, but I doubt that

The best Pokémon in the metagame. Absolutely wrecks shit and outspeeds pretty much everything. The one Achilles heel is the quadruple fairy weakness but that can be mitigated by going Tera Steel. That speed tier is also overcrowded and loses out on Iron Bundle by one point. It is also pretty versatile on what it can do.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
I think Wild Charge is necessary on Scarf. It is often a reliable midground and has 1/4 recoil vs 1/3 from Flare Blitz (which matters vs e.g. Corviknight). Toxapex still exists and Pelipper tries to switch in to reset rain. Omnipresent Electric Terrain is also a helpful boost.

I think U-Turn is actually the most expendable slot on the standard set, because you really want to click the other 3 attacks whenever possible. U-Turn into Rocky Helmet is also just awful for a mon reliant on recoil attacks. Dragon Claw should be avoided because so many things are Tera Fairy; I have been running Brick Break for Screens.

Koraidon @ Choice Scarf
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- U-turn / Brick Break

FYI 4 Def EVs instead of HP is so that Rocky Helmet damage rounds down to 56.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)