Kilowattrel

Kilowattrel-1.png
Kilowattrel
Type: Electric/Flying
Base Stats
: 70/70/60/105/60/125 (490)
Abilities: Wind Power / Volt Absorb | Competitive
(Wind Power: When its hit by a wind move, ej Hurricane, Heat Wave, or Tailwind is set up, this Pokemon becomes charged, and its next electric attack does x2 damage)
Notable Moves:
-Volt Switch
-Tailwind
-Thunderbolt
-Thunder
-Hurricane
-Weather Ball
-Discharge
-Air Slash
-Roost
-U-Turn
-Thunder Wave
-Tera Blast

Pros:
-The 5th fastest UU mon
-Access to two pivoting moves
-Great typing, offensively and defensively
-Volt Absorb gives it an inmunity to electric attacks
-With Volt Absorb, it can pivot into TWave and Volt Switch
-Can punish Intimidate users with Competitive
-Great in rain teams because of its access to Thunder, Hurricane, and Weather Ball
-Can recover with Roost
-Has nice speed control with Tailwind and Thunder Wave

Cons:
-Really frail
-Has an SRocks weakness
-Basically no coverage
-Because of its lack of coverage, it can get walled easily
-Its special attack is just above average, because of that it misses KOs on a lot of mons

Tera Potential:
Electric:
Nullifies its SRocks weakness, as well as powering up its electric moves that with its decent-ish spatk, its always appreciated, it does nullify its ground inmunity

Flying: Basically the same as electric, but instead of eliminating its ground inmunnity, it will still have its SRock weakness and gets an electric weakness if its not using Volt Absorb

Ground: It makes it resist SRocks while, if you arent running Volt Absorb, also providing electric inmunity, and gives it ground coverage with Tera Blast, it can also bait rock attacks attempting to hit it superefectively

Water: With Volt Absorb, it nullifies its weakness to electric, while also getting water coverage with Tera Blast or gets STAB Weather Ball if you are using it on a rain team

Sets:
Kilowattrel @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder
- Hurricane
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt

Uses Thunder and Hurricane to deal a lot of damage, or Thunderbolt if the enemy team is already low on health and you need something more precise, and Volt Switch as its pivoting move, it can also use u-turn instead if you dont want to get blocked by ground types or electric-inmune mons, it can also use Competitive as its ability if you already have an electric inmune mon in your team

Kilowattrel @ Choice Specs
Tera Type: Flying
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Hurricane
- Volt Switch
- Weather Ball

Thunder and Hurricane deal really good damage and cant miss in rain, and Weather Ball is a really strong coverage move, Volt Switch its the pivoting move i do normally use, but U-Turn is still good if you dont want it to get blocked by electric-inmune mons, it also has a lot of tera variety, tera electric, flying, and water can work with this set, it can also use Competitive as its ability if you already have an electric inmune mon in your team

Kilowattrel @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Competitive
Tera Type: Ground
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Tera Blast
- Hurricane
- Volt Switch

It deals damage with Thunderbolt and Hurricane, and uses Tera Blast as coverage, and Volt Switch as its pivoting move, it can use U-Turn as its pivoting move if you dont want it blocked by electric inmune mons, it can also use roost or thunder wave instead of tera blast if you want to give it more of a support role

Kilowattrel @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Thunder Wave
- Roost
- Volt Switch

Even when it looks like it may not be a very good support mon because of its bulk, it has a great defensive typing, and just in case, you can tera steel for an incoming rock attack, or for the overall defensive utility of the type, Tailwind helps other offensive mons on your team that may not be really fast, and it can help them outspeed scarfed mons, Thunder Wave would normally be the most consistant paralyzis spreading move, but in case you also want to deal some damage, you can use Discharge, Roost helps it recover hp and if you already used tera on other mon, it also eliminates its rock weakness, but it makes it weak to ground, and Volt Switch to pivot

Last edited:

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
For sure the set you wanna talk about most is a generic Roost + Stabs + Filler set, its not super bulky but its typing gives it a fair bit of defensive utility still that Roost lets it use to an extent. Im not sure why this wasn't the set used for the boots set really.

In terms of fillers its pretty team dependent but U-turn, Discharge, Thunder Wave all have a lot of merit in general imo. Seen some use of other stuff like Stabs + Tailwind with wind power (not volt for this though obviously), and Brave Bird get used too occasionally but the first 3 are definitely the main 3 i would consider the biggest fillers.

I'm not sure I'd ever really run tera blast on this thing since you aren't likely to want to Tera in a lot of MUs due to wanting to either keep your typing or have something else tera (when there's a lot of better candidates). In theory tera ground is nice for the random belibolts and sandy shocks, but you can typically wall half of these two's sets anyway a lot of the time unless sandy shocks is running power gem, and that mon still takes like 30% trying to switch into hurricane. More value for either same type Tera or defensive tera's like ghost really, but tera blast seems poor.

For sure the set you wanna talk about most is a generic Roost + Stabs + Filler set, its not super bulky but its typing gives it a fair bit of defensive utility still that Roost lets it use to an extent. Im not sure why this wasn't the set used for the boots set really.

In terms of fillers its pretty team dependent but U-turn, Discharge, Thunder Wave all have a lot of merit in general imo. Seen some use of other stuff like Stabs + Tailwind with wind power (not volt for this though obviously), and Brave Bird get used too occasionally but the first 3 are definitely the main 3 i would consider the biggest fillers.

I'm not sure I'd ever really run tera blast on this thing since you aren't likely to want to Tera in a lot of MUs due to wanting to either keep your typing or have something else tera (when there's a lot of better candidates). In theory tera ground is nice for the random belibolts and sandy shocks, but you can typically wall half of these two's sets anyway a lot of the time unless sandy shocks is running power gem, and that mon still takes like 30% trying to switch into hurricane.
Thank you for the comment!
I was doubting on giving the sets tailwind, twave, roost and discharge because it isnt really bulky, so i didnt see it using the moves (exept tailwind that i do sometimes use), but i forgot of the great resistances of its typing

But i do want to disagree on the tera part, there are better tera candidates, but tera helps Kilowattrel a lot by giving it some decent coverage without needing to use rain + weather ball, it struggles a lot when trying to kill walls that get hit neutrally, arent very effective or straight up inmune to it because of its just above average special attack, with tera it can use tera blast to do superefective damage to walls that Kilowattrel needs help vs, or that its team needs help vs, it kinda sounds like the same argument for every offensive mon to use tera, beat walls that normally wall that offensive mon, but Kilowattrel also has more than that, with a tera that its weak to electric, it can use Volt Absorb to eliminate one of its weaknesess, and give it some needed coverage, or boosting its STABs to use Thunder and Hurricane more effectively, two moves that some mons would kill to have because of their high bp, but that Kilowattrel cant do that much damage with because of its spatk, and tera helps it with that

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
Thank you for the comment!
I was doubting on giving the sets tailwind, twave, roost and discharge because it isnt really bulky, so i didnt see it using the moves (exept tailwind that i do sometimes use), but i forgot of the great resistances of its typing

But i do want to disagree on the tera part, there are better tera candidates, but tera helps Kilowattrel a lot by giving it some decent coverage without needing to use rain + weather ball, it struggles a lot when trying to kill walls that get hit neutrally, arent very effective or straight up inmune to it because of its just above average special attack, with tera it can use tera blast to do superefective damage to walls that Kilowattrel needs help vs, or that its team needs help vs, it kinda sounds like the same argument for every offensive mon to use tera, beat walls that normally wall that offensive mon, but Kilowattrel also has more than that, with a tera that its weak to electric, it can use Volt Absorb to eliminate one of its weaknesess, and give it some needed coverage, or boosting its STABs to use Thunder and Hurricane more effectively, two moves that some mons would kill to have because of their high bp, but that Kilowattrel cant do that much damage with because of its spatk, and tera helps it with that
It doesn't matter that its not that bulky because you roost to take advantage of the fact it has a lot of defensive utility with its typing + speed, so now you can actually decide to switch into things like Talonflame, Tinkaton, Pawmot etc and recover the damage off instead of being a one time switch in to a lot of these things. The bulk gets mitigated by the fact it has this recovery in its kit now.

Discharge is specifically just arguably better than Thunderbolt for it a lot of the time depending on your team, yellow magic has more value and its not that much weaker + you often want to be volting as far as electric goes. Bunch of slower stuff feeds off paralysis extremely well to the point it has more value on a lot of sets. Twave in a similar vein just trades that damage for guaranteed paralysis to open doors for things like SD Tinkaton more happily.

Tera on kilo is fine for sure for defensive/offensive purposes but the issue with tera blast is that its a 4th move you very rarely get to make any use of compared to u-turn or discharge, and only has use into two mons anyway for the most part. I don't really get the arguement for the coverage because Flying + Electric is already near perfect coverage, its not meant to be some wallbreaker on its boots set anyway but the only things that resist its STAB-coverage outside of zone really are Belibolt (walled by Kilo anyway and not common) and Sandy shocks (runs some sets walled by Kilo and hasn't got the recovery even if running power gem, so gets worn down very quick). In this vein theres just no reason to run tera blast on it most of the time for 1.5 targets over the much more widespread value that U-turn or a second Electric stab gives you.

If you want to use tera for offensive value it would make more sense imo to run Tera Electric if anything to boost your offensive output while still keeping your resistances against opposing Kilowattrel too. Some defensive tera's like Ghost could certainly see use if your team was weak to specific threats like Lucario too.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter that its not that bulky because you roost to take advantage of the fact it has a lot of defensive utility with its typing + speed, so now you can actually decide to switch into things like Talonflame, Tinkaton, Pawmot etc and recover the damage off instead of being a one time switch in to a lot of these things. The bulk gets mitigated by the fact it has this recovery in its kit now.

Discharge is specifically just arguably better than Thunderbolt for it a lot of the time depending on your team, yellow magic has more value and its not that much weaker + you often want to be volting as far as electric goes. Bunch of slower stuff feeds off paralysis extremely well to the point it has more value on a lot of sets. Twave in a similar vein just trades that damage for guaranteed paralysis to open doors for things like SD Tinkaton more happily.

Tera on kilo is fine for sure for defensive/offensive purposes but the issue with tera blast is that its a 4th move you very rarely get to make any use of compared to u-turn or discharge, and only has use into two mons anyway for the most part. I don't really get the arguement for the coverage because Flying + Electric is already near perfect coverage, its not meant to be some wallbreaker on its boots set anyway but the only things that resist its STAB-coverage outside of zone really are Belibolt (walled by Kilo anyway and not common) and Sandy shocks (runs some sets walled by Kilo and hasn't got the recovery even if running power gem, so gets worn down very quick). In this vein theres just no reason to run tera blast on it most of the time for 1.5 targets over the much more widespread value that U-turn or a second Electric stab gives you.

If you want to use tera for offensive value it would make more sense imo to run Tera Electric if anything to boost your offensive output while still keeping your resistances against opposing Kilowattrel too. Some defensive tera's like Ghost could certainly see use if your team was weak to specific threats like Lucario too.
Now that i think about it, yeah, Roost actually helps it a lot with its bulk problems, but i think Thunderbolt is better than Discharge for Kilowattrel, Thunderbolt is obiously better than Discharge in offensive sets, and Discharge in more defensive ones, but if you have to choose between Thunder Wave and Discharge, i think Thunder Wave is the better option, you dont even deal that much damage with Discharge, and the paralyzis is not guaranteed, while with Thunder Wave its just the paralyzis, and if you want to spread paralyzis on the opposing team, you normally use Thunder Wave, and when dealing damage, you normally use Thunderbolt, but if you have a free moveslot on a defensive Kilowattrel, you can always use Discharge, it isnt bad by any means, just outclassed

And i do think Tera Blast works well on Kilowattrel, i said it a lot, but it lacks a lot of coverage, i didnt mean to say it was a wallbreaker, but there are a lot of type combos that stop Kilo, and abilities that are inmune to its moves, and because of its SpAtk, it still ohkos and 2hkos a lot of mons, but mons that resist one if its STABs, neutral to the other, (or neutral to both STABs) and have above average special bulk can stop an offensive Kilowattrel fairly easily, but yeah, a defensive tera is better on Kilowattrel, how you said, the only type that resists its both STABs is electric, and Thunder and Hurricane are strong moves to have, even with its special attack, it can still dish out some great damage
Also sorry for replying after almost an hour

I feel like Kilowattrel is a good stop to rain spam, mainly because a tailwind-boosted max Spd investment Kilowattrel outspeeds Floatzel and Barraskewda, common rain offense, and OHKOs them with Thunderbolt. Run Sash for the random Aqua Jets.

You could theoretically run Thunder for the always hit in rain, but if you actually want to use Kilo elsewhere that's probably gonna be too niche for it.

Last edited:
On Rain teams, Kilowattrel turns into a straight up assassin. It's a great to deterent to defog as if gets the +2 boost can easily sweep your opponents team. It gets good coverage and there are only a few pokemon that can reliably wall it. It is also very fast and outspeeds 95% of the metagame, mostly only priority and choice scarfers beat it to the punch. Outside of rain though it's a different story, not nearly as reliable and really underwhelming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)