XY Doubles Just Another Team

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just Another Team

Peaked over 1600 Elo!

I've been using this team for a while, and it has served its purpose well. I'm going to keep this intro short because honestly who even cares about these anymore

Teambuilding! (Seriously, read this. If you're going to rate my team, this information will help you out the most)

I started off with Gengar. People were all excited about the potential of its trapper set's potential, so I decided to try out it.

My offensive core. I wanted to take advantage of what Mega Gengar could trap. Once Fighting-, Ghost-, and Fairy-types. Mega Gengar could also check Trick Room to an extent, which let me run offensive strategies such as Tailwind.

The rest of the team came fairly quick. I added Bisharp to check Landorus-T and Trick Room as well as form a nice core with Terrakion. I added Amoonguss because Rage Powder is awesome, as is Spore. It was also a secondary check to Fairy-types. Rotom-W came last as a general pivot and for more Speed control.

I switched Latios out for Salamence. Physical attackers were still quite annoying, so the extra Intimidate helped a lot. Salamence also provided mixed coverage the the ability to check Char Y, so I didn't lose out on that.

Descriptions

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Quick Guard
- Protect

The big beast. Terrakion provides Speed, power, and spread for the team. Close Combat smashes Mega Kang, Dark-types, and Steel-types that give Mega Gengar trouble. Rock Slide hits Flying-types and Fire-types (specifically, Charizard Y) for a lot of damage. Terrakion can handle a lot of the tier's threats quickly and reliably. Quick Guard helps protect the team against priority, which is annoying. With Focus Sash, it helps check Hyper Offense and any sort of strategy that depends on boosting their offensive capability (be it HO, Tailwind, TR, etc) It also makes Terrakion a reliable panic button to take down threats when necessary.

Synergy-wise, Terrakion tackles Steel-, Rock-, and Ice-types and checks / counters Fire-types such as Heatran, Char Y, Char X, and Talonflame. Quick Guard is extremely useful because many members of the team (especially Mega Gengar) appreciate not having to worry about being hit first. It socks Mega Kangaskhan too, which is awesome because fuck that thing.

Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Draco Meteor
- Protect
- Fire Blast

Salamence brings multiple things to the table that Latios does not. First is Intimidate- with Mega Gengar's Will-O-Wisp, it can very quickly neuter physical attackers. The second is Salamence's powerful Fire Blast, which is perfect for roasting Steel-types that the team occasionally has trouble with. Salamence also has Tailwind and a very powerful Draco Meteor, letting it hit hard and set up for the team. Its resistance to Water- and Fire-type attacks makes it the designated offensive Rain and Sun counter on the team.

Whenever I need something to take a physical hit, I usually throw in Salamence as long as the predicted move isn't going to hit super effectively, because Intimidate helps even if I predict wrong and the opponent targets my other Pokemon. With Fire Blast, Salamence nabs some crucial KOs, especially against unsuspecting Steel-types like Mega Mawile and Mega Scizor. Draco hits everything hard in general, making Salamence a great hit and run attacker.

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SAtk / 236 Spd
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball

Gengar is offensive glue. It traps and kills / weakens things that I need removed, and then disappears just as quickly. Gengar and Amoonguss easily leap in to trap and kill Fairy-types, which the rest of the team struggles against. Once its job is done, Terrakion and Salamence can easily spam their STAB attacks. With Will-O-Wisp, Gengar traps and cripples a lot of physical attackers too. It's a great anti-lead, punishing for Fake Out very efficiently. It works against Trick Room, too, as Sludge Bomb and Shadow Ball hurt Fairy / Ghost / Psychic types a lot.

Gengar also revenge kills a lot of things. 252 Timid lets it ouspeed max Speed Shaymin-S and everything below it, checking things like Lati@s and Greninja comfortably. Unfortunately, it's weaker than it looks, so it usually requires either Bisharp or Terrakion to finish off kills that it itself can't complete. However, its main job is to trap and kill Fairy-types, deter Trick Room, and cripple whatever physical attackers it can, and it does that job very well.

Bisharp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Protect
- Iron Head

Bisharp finishes off the offensive part of the team. It works superbly with Mega Gengar with its Sucker Punch priority, which helps it check Landorus-T which like to switch in. Its Sucker Punch is crucial for the team, as it and Amoonguss help counter Trick Room should it be set up. Bisharp works well with Terrakion and Salamence too, providing a Flying spam check, an immunity to Psychic, and a resistance to Dark and Ghost. Knock Off and Iron Head are obligatory STAB attack that both hit very hard. Iron Head nails Rock-, Ice-, and Fairy-types, so Bisharp works well in countering things like Sylveon or Tyranitar whenever Mega Gengar can't redirect its attention.

Bisharp's Defiant makes it a major asset against Intimidate spam teams, and by deterring Landorus-T it makes Terrakion's job a lot easier. Bisharp is in fact extremely anti meta, so I slapped a Focus Sash on it too to help it survive attacks and hit back both with a strong STAB attack and then again next turn with a Sucker Punch before it goes down. Knock Off is great for countering Trick Room.

Amoonguss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 232 HP / 96 Def / 180 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 1 Spd

- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Protect
- Giga Drain

Amoonguss provides the team with quintessential support. Rage Powder is one of the best moves in the metagame, and helps keep my frail (Mega Gengar) and Focus Sashed Pokemon alive for a much longer amount of time. By the time the opponent gets through Amoonguss, Intimidate, burns, AND two Focus Sash users, they're already weakened enough to be cleaned up. I chose Amoonguss instead of Togekiss because Spore is not only useful for countering Trick Room but also for making openings for setting up. The EVs jack up its special bulk so it can shrug off attacks that Intimidate and Will-O-Wisp cannot weaken.

Amoonguss's Grass-type Giga Drain is also extremely clutch, otherwise Ground-types that could get past Rotom-W would have their way with the team. Amoonguss helps neuter Rain, or at least sit there long enough until the Rain goes away. Honestly you could probably use Togekiss here instead, but I like the Spore support. The EV spread was suggested by KyleCole. I added 1 Speed IV so that Amoonguss would outpace the other base 30 Speed Trick Roomers outside of Trick Room, and be almost as fast inside of it (I'm not one to meddle with Speed ties, so I decided why not better them outside of TR?)

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 132 SAtk / 252 HP / 48 Spe / 76 SDef
Calm Nature

- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Electroweb
- Protect

Rotom-W is the designated Water-type for the team. It's my best counter to Heatran and Talonflame, two Fire-types that would spell major trouble for the rest of the team. Hydro Pump is great, and really powerful, hitting almost every non resistant opponent for a 2HKO. Electroweb is the last offensive move on the set for Speed control, since Will-O-Wisp is already there and TWave would clash with WoW and Spore. Electroweb is nice because it's the only other spread attack on the team and makes Rotom-W great at providing offensive support. Things like Zard Y lose if they switch into Electroweb because Rotom-W can outspeed next turn and OHKO. Electroweb also lets Mega Gengar outspeed things like Venusaur in Sun and Ludicolo / Kingdra in Rain!!

Rotom-W is just so useful because a lot of teams are susceptible to it. It works well with Bisharp to punish active Landorus-T's, and provides powerful type coverage for the other sweepers. Electroweb is also extremely useful in aiding Mega Gengar and Bisharp, both of which become able to cover an entirely new Speed tier after the support. Plus, it provides bulk, another immunity to Ground-, and all of the benefits of the typical bulky Water-type. The EV spread is tailored exactly to what I need Rotom-W to do. It has enough speed to outspeed 252+ base 100 Speed Pokemon after they get hit by Electroweb, letting Rotom-W check Mega Zard Y, Salamence, Mega Kang, and much more. The SpA EVs let Rotom-W always KO Mega Zard Y with an Electroweb + Thunderbolt combination. HP is then maximized and the rest of the IVs + nature went into SpD. This set always survives Solarbeam and outspeeds and KOs Zard Y with Electroweb + TBolt combination, letting Rotom-W always win 1 v 1 (unless hax.) It also lets rotom outspeed 252 Adamant base 70 Speeds (Breloom, Bisharp) and OHKO 4 HP Landorus-T / Talonflame.

So yeah that's it. This is really "Just Another Team"; it's solid and it showcases the many different abilities of Mega Gengar, but I decided not to fancy up the RMT too much because it's pretty much served its purpose already. It's more suited for beginners trying to learn about new techniques and strategies because the Focus Sash use allows for mistakes, and can fit many different playstyles- from reckless to conservative.

So, if you're looking to get a taste of what Doubles feels like, feel free to try it out! Thanks for reading!

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Draco Meteor
- Protect
- Fire Blast

Gengar @ Gengarite
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SAtk / 232 Spd
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball

Bisharp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Protect
- Iron Head

Amoonguss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 232 HP / 96 Def / 180 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 1 Spd
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Protect
- Giga Drain

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 132 SAtk / 252 HP / 48 Spe / 76 SDef
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Electroweb
- Protect

Last edited:
Electrolyte. This is a really cool team, and part of the influx of great dubs rmts recently. I have always liked electroweb rotom w, and it is used well here.

There are very few changes i could suggest here, but i found a couple. Firstly, have you tried life orb over focus sash on terrakion/bisharp? I feel that focus sash on both pokes is redundant as only one is really needed to check HO and both appreciate the extra power. Terrakion fains the chance to OHKO mega kanga with close combat and LO, but you have god counter megagar. Bisharp becomes a much better TR check with LO, as it can actually OHKO trick room setters. Its your choice which one really,.but i would suggest LO Bisharp over sash.

Secondly, i think a couple of your ev spreads could do with optimizing, namely amoonguss and rotom w. I recommend a 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SDef spread for Amoonguss. This still gives it lots of special bulk while letting it live a LO Latios psyshock from max health. Latios is otherwise a slight pain if gengar isnt mega evolved and bisharp isnt on the field, so some extra insurance is nice.

For rotom w, i recommend a spread of 200 HP / 252 SAtk / 52 Spe. The added speed is useful on a relatively offensive team like yours, and after an electroweb, you can outspeed zard y and mega kanga, doing more damage to them. This allows you to maximise the potential of electroweb.

Thats it from me, great team and i hope to battle it sometime!

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok thanks to the input of KyleCole and AuraRayquaza, I have updated some of my EV spreads!

For Amoonguss, I went with KyleCole's first spread. To be honest I was just lazy and didn't think there could be a more optimizable spread but I guess there is. 1 Spe IV is crucial; reason why I didn't go sassy at first was because I wanted to outspeed other Amoonguss before Trick Room went up, as well as beat the whole base 30 Speed tier out of TR yet still be literally almost as fast under it.

Kyle's many spreads got me thinking on Rotom-W. The spread I settled with was made with one specific purpose in mind- nailing Mega Charizard Y. First, it has enough Speed to outpace -1 Zard Y (and things like Adamant Bisharp / Breloom). It also has the minimum amount of SpA necessary to ALWAYS OHKO ZARD Y WITH ELECTROWEB + THUNDERBOLT. HP is maximized, and the rest of the EVs + nature go into SpD. It still hits pretty hard, though not nearly as hard as it used to. Still, this spread is probably better.

Keeping sash on Terrakion; will consider LO on Bisharp but I won't make the change just yet.

Thanks for all the input guys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)