Issue #26 Released!

Which were your favorite Smog articles?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello, everyone! We're well into 2013 now, with this issue already being the year's 3rd (or 4th, if you count Issue #23)~ Hopefully you've been enjoying the more frequent release schedule and timelier content! As always, I'm pretty proud of what the team has managed to accomplish in a month.

Some of you might be disappointed to notice we've said farewell to the Featured articles this issue and replaced them with Spotlight articles, in order to deal with dwindling authorship, as well as open up potential for innovation. This is a mixed bag, and we didn't take it lightly; while there won't be a guaranteed Featured RMT/Pokémon article for a given tier every (other) issue anymore, Spotlight articles are effectively the same as any article. This means that absolutely anyone can apply to write a Spotlight article (candidates will be evaluated based on knowledge), we can have any number of Spotlight articles per metagame in an issue (although there's no quota and they don't present a barrier to release), and an author is free to experiment with the format as much as she likes. Since the Featured articles were widely liked, we hope enthusiastic metagame experts will apply to write RMT/Pokémon Spotlight articles now the offer's on the table!

We'd love to hear from you, and we really do hope you enjoy what we've done! We've put up the feedback poll as part of this thread, so you can let us know which articles were your favourites. And if you're a fan of The Smog, please do consider getting involved -- many of our contributors are readers who wanted to be a part of something they loved. You can always contact any of The Smog's dedicated mentors if you're looking for advice or need some questions answered!

~Setsuna, jumpluff, Birkal, sandshrewz, and Toast++

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Some excellent work this issue the spotlight change is great and I can't wait to see how the greater creative freedom will help the future issues!

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
It was my first time contributing to The Smog and I'm happy how this issue turned out!

Awesome job to everyone! (/^_^)/\(^o^\)

Great job, everyone! I'm glad I got to be a part of this awesome project for the first time! Now on to next month! :)

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Is it just me or can I like not find my article 9.9. But anyway it was a great issue working with you guys!

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Haha, nice to see one of my laddering alts make a cameo in the battling 1337 article =).

Anyways, just judging a few of the titles i see, i know this is gonna be a good read, great job guys!

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Is it just me or can I like not find my article 9.9. But anyway it was a great issue working with you guys!
This Smog Staff reviewed your article and deemed that it did not meet the quality credentials that we require of our authors. I'm sorry for the inconvenience; I hope you will understand. Better luck in the future!

Somehow we missed it while uploading. Heh.

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
This Smog Staff reviewed your article and deemed that it did not meet the quality credentials that we require of our authors. I'm sorry for the inconvenience; I hope you will understand. Better luck in the future!

Somehow we missed it while uploading. Heh.
You almost made me cry.

Mack the Knife

Goodbye Smogon! I may return, I may not!
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It was fun writing for the Smog, for the first time! I hope everybody finds my article informative.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Gosh and I was just gonna test my OU Ledian set...
Another excellent article n_n thanks to everyone who contributed!

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The Battling 1337 article is the funniest thing I've seen in quite a while. Please tell me that actually happened.

Good work on this issue guys! I really liked this issue because of some articles that were both high quality and unique I am talking about ADV player bio, the oddish and battling 1337 the latter two were the reason why I think this issue has had one of the best entertainment sections. Of course I enjoyed contributing too writing with my pokemon biology friends and writing using choice items in ou. (the art was brilliant ritter)

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
The Battling 1337 article is the funniest thing I've seen in quite a while. Please tell me that actually happened.
[...]some articles that were both high quality and unique I am talking about ADV player bio, the oddish and battling 1337 the latter two were the reason why I think this issue has had one of the best entertainment sections.
Gosh why does everyone like my article so much, I really have no idea I didn't even find it that funny o_O...

Gosh why does everyone like my article so much, I really have no idea I didn't even find it that funny o_O...
Yes it is, it's pretty good. I also liked NU Doubles and the April Fools Articles. Props to all the contributors for making this great issue :)

Layell said:
I intended for all of these sprites to be awful abominations that made people laugh. But the original Smogon artist Arkeis would have none of this, and actively set out to ruin me with a wave of babies.
This one line really made me roll. Excellent job you guys.

Sorry, PDC! I liked your article quite a lot, it just kinda... somehow disappeared during the organisational stage, which consequently meant it didn't get uploaded. o_o Fortunately Birkal fixed it. Thanks for writing for us, and for letting us know! I think that's one of the dumbest things I've done so far. I was really tired. ;_;

I'm really glad to hear from you guys, by the way! Good to hear you enjoyed reading and contributing, and welcome aboard to all our new contributors :D

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
1337 said:
...triple 1.1x boosts, which is either 3.3x or 1.331x, depending on how your Hydreigon decides to wear the glasses
This is great

Great job everyone!

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Battling 1337 really should have had an importable section because everyone needs to try it out on the ladder to improve their ranking.
Aside from that article, the player bio was an interesting read as it's the first time (to my knowledge) that there has been an article like it that only focuses on a player. I hope future releases have more of them.

This is one of the best releases I've seen in a long, long time- ever since the Smog switched to trying to pump out as many articles as possible, I think we started getting a lot of articles for the sake of articles with overly formulaic writing, dry commentary, and little insight about topics that nobody really wanted to read about. This issue seems to have really taken a turn in the other direction- like many people, I loved the 1337 battle, but I also really enjoyed learning about Sableye and Spiritomb and found that to be a fascinating read. The Ubers Arceus forms article and the UU battling article actually taught me quite a bit, and the interview with rey brought me more into the interviewee's head than most interviews I had read before. Even the types of articles that I normally don't find interesting (mostly the lists) didn't take themselves too seriously and were fun to read. Overall, I think you guys took more risks for this issue, and that they payed off- I hope we keep this trend up for future articles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)