Denied Introduction to Random Battles in PS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Staff, I'm interested in writing a short article about Random Battles in PS. This is my first time contributing on Smogon, but I've had a lot of experience on Random Battles (currently 1918 ELO, 25th on ladder, almost 800 games played). My username on PS is fruitloops.

My article will highlight the differences in battle mechanics between Random Battle and the other "standard" tiers (OU, UU, etc.) I'll also write about a few battling strategies that are used solely in Random Battles.

Here's an outline
Differences:
-Levels are balanced for each tier (i.e. Ubers are Lv. 70, while NU Pokes are Lv. 86)
-No EVs
-No team preview
-Move sets are not always what you would expect
-Unreleased abilities
Strategies:
-Take advantage of no team preview
-If it's important enough, check the speeds of the battling Pokemon: it's easy since there are no EVs
-Look at your entire team before the first turn, and look for Pokemon that would battle well together
-Don't always use the obvious move-you can still try to "predict" in Random Battles (even if you don't know what Pokemon your opponent has)

I plan to write about a paragraph for each of the bullet points, maybe a little more for the important ones. Thanks for looking at my idea, hope to hear from you soon!

-fruitloops

Ok, is there somewhere else I could write about this? I though this would be the place because it says in the Article Submission guidelines "Also, if you're writing an article about competitive battling we may ask for some credentials like ladder ranks, forum posts or tournament performances if we're not familiar with you."

Sorry, I just looked at the code and found its 85 EV in each stat. I wasn't sure where to find the code before but now that I know I'll be sure to double check with the code.

Hey fruitloops, you still have any interest in writing this? It would be nice to get a co author who is experienced with random battles as well, if you want to go ahead with this.

Oglemi already wrote a randbats article on The Smog, so really there's no actual need for this to be a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)