Metagame Inheritance

Any good dual screens counters? Beyond defog and brick break, been trying to find a crit user that would be good but no real luck. Chandelure inheriting from absol is interesting at least.
Maybe Infiltrator Crobat as Donor for Chandelure? You have Nasty Plot, Shadow Ball, Giga Drain, Heat Wave and Sludge Bomb, with U-Turn if you want to pivot.

With the ban of Unaware and subsequent collapse of stall, the meta of Inheritance has definitely swung to favor offense and HO teams. That doesn't mean defensive mons as a whole are dead, however; here are some solid defensive options I've been playing around with.
:ss/Toxapex:
Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Regenerator
252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD; Bold Nature
-Scald/Body Press
-Toxic/Body Press
-Slack Off
-Teleport
Easily the best defensive mon, Toxapex's great bulk allows it to be just as annoying as it always is. Pex is one of the few mons that often keeps to its cannon set, however it can also inherit from Slowbro to acquire RegenPort, making it even more annoying while giving pivot support (valuable in any offensive meta). Scald and Toxic are standard damage dealers for this set, although Bro specifically gives access to Body Press off 443 Def (usually going phys Def anyways) if one wants more offensive pressure, or possible Screens on HO.

:ss/Aegislash: :ss/Doublade:
Aegislash @ Rocky Helmet/Leftovers/Colbur Berry or Doublade @ Eviolite
Water Absorb/Cursed Body
252 HP/4 Def/252 SpD; Calm Nature
-Recover/Strength Sap
-Night Shade
-Toxic/Will-o-wisp
-Taunt
Aegislash and Doublade possess a unique niche as two of the only defensive mons that resist both STAB of Lycanroc-D! Terrakion, pretty much blanking any Terrak without Crunch (which it often drops for Psychic Fangs against Pex); SpD investment can also let them take on Comfey inheritors. Their best donor is probably Jellicent, which provides them with recovery, consistent damage and Taunt, as well as extra defensive utility with Water immunity or disabling Choiced mons. Doublade is physically bulkier thanks to Eviolite, while Aegislash has the freedom to run multiple items like Helmet for extra chip, Leftovers for passive healing or possibly Colbur Berry to tank a Knock Off.

:ss/Swampert:
Swampert @ Leftovers
Sap Sipper
252 HP/4 Def/252 SpD; Careful Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Toxic/Ice Punch
-Milk Drink
or

-Defog
-Earthquake
-Glare
-Roost
There is an obvious appeal in removing a 4x weakness, and there happen to be two defensive Sap Sipper donors that give Swampert good utility; with this weakness eliminated, Pert's defensive capabilities really shine, with max special bulk even letting it tank hits from Sheer Force inheritors (this thing once single-handedly saved me against !Nidoking Kyurem, which wasn't quite strong enough to 2HKO). !Miltank packs recovery while still allowing Pert to perform as a Rock setter, with either Toxic to weaken bulkier opponents or Ice Punch to hit Grass and Flying types. !Drampa Swampert instead takes the role of a Defogger that resists Rocks, and does provide one distinct advantage over Miltank with Glare to hamper fast offensive threats.

:ss/Ferrothorn:
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Flash Fire
252 HP/4 Def/252 SpD; Careful/Sassy Nature
-Spikes
-Rapid Spin
-Will-o-wisp
-Iron Head/Gyro Ball
The other big winner in removing a 4x weakness, Ferrothorn gains dual hazard utility with Rapid Spin as well as Wisp to cripple physical attackers; nature depends on which Steel STAB you want, bigger hit vs more PP and consistent damage. The main issue is that Ferro is much more reliant on Leftovers compared to normal since you lack recovery outside of Rest.

:ss/Shuckle:
Shuckle @ Smooth Rock
Sand Stream
248 HP/8 Def/252 SpD; Calm Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Toxic
-Whirlwind
-Slack Off
Inheriting Sand Stream from Hippopotas grants Shuckle a huge boost to its special bulk, making it a great setter for Sand teams. Having faced Sand teams multiple times from 1300+ players, I admit they can be scary to deal with, with threats like Sand Rush Ttar (!Sandslash) and Xurkitree (!Dracozolt), and probably would be screwed if I didn't naturally lean towards balance offense with my building. Shuckle enables these teams well with Rocks and Toxic, Slack Off for sustain and Whirlwind to provide mid-game utility against the many set-up sweepers in the meta. As bulky as it is, Shuckle is extremely weak to Taunt, and the need to keep Sand going as long as possible means it doesn't have the luxury of Boots, so removal is essential to keep it healthy.

:ss/Staryu: :ss/Starmie:
Whatever
Natural Cure

252 HP/4 Def/252 SpD; Calm Nature or 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD; Bold Nature
-Rapid Spin
-Scald/Toxic
-Recover
-Teleport/Flip Turn
And now for a defensive donor, Staryu is one I haven't seen a lot of conversation about; in no uncertain terms, Staryu is easily one of THE best defensive donors in the entire Meta. Staryu has a ton of great defensive assets it doesn't get to show off normally; hazard support, status in Scald or possible Toxic, instant recovery, absorbing status with Natural Cure and pivoting. Spin inherently has an edge over Defog in a fast-paced meta like this, so giving any defensive mon that ability to Spin is great. Nat Cure and Recover can make it hard to wear down any good !Staryu inheritor, and Teleport allows you to safely get in your ally (Flip Turn is also an option if you're scared of Taunt). This set is very splashable in terms of inheritors, with multiple great options like Fini, Pex, Pert, pretty much any defensive mon; I've actually run this set on Aegislash, and even that put in a ton of work. If your inheritor packs solid SpA, you can even utilize options like Future Sight (Starmie) or Ice Beam.

Thanks to its movepool, Starmie can also be a good offensive donor, between Hydro, Flip Turn, BoltBeam, Meteor Beam (Starmie), Flash Cannon (option for Steels) and Trick, as well as either Cure or Analytic to further boost power. Bottom line, Staryu/Starmie is possibly the most slept on donor in the meta.

This is only the tip of the iceberg in terms of defensive options for the tier, but I feel these are a good place to start for anyone new that wants a defensive option for their team.

Don Vascus

Certified Wednesday Poster
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
With the ban of Unaware and subsequent collapse of stall, the meta of Inheritance has definitely swung to favor offense and HO teams. That doesn't mean defensive mons as a whole are dead, however; here are some solid defensive options I've been playing around with.
:ss/Toxapex:
Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Regenerator
252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD; Bold Nature
-Scald/Body Press
-Toxic/Body Press
-Slack Off
-Teleport
Easily the best defensive mon, Toxapex's great bulk allows it to be just as annoying as it always is. Pex is one of the few mons that often keeps to its cannon set, however it can also inherit from Slowbro to acquire RegenPort, making it even more annoying while giving pivot support (valuable in any offensive meta). Scald and Toxic are standard damage dealers for this set, although Bro specifically gives access to Body Press off 443 Def (usually going phys Def anyways) if one wants more offensive pressure, or possible Screens on HO.

:ss/Aegislash: :ss/Doublade:
Aegislash @ Rocky Helmet/Leftovers/Colbur Berry or Doublade @ Eviolite
Water Absorb/Cursed Body
252 HP/4 Def/252 SpD; Calm Nature
-Recover/Strength Sap
-Night Shade
-Toxic/Will-o-wisp
-Taunt
Aegislash and Doublade possess a unique niche as two of the only defensive mons that resist both STAB of Lycanroc-D! Terrakion, pretty much blanking any Terrak without Crunch (which it often drops for Psychic Fangs against Pex); SpD investment can also let them take on Comfey inheritors. Their best donor is probably Jellicent, which provides them with recovery, consistent damage and Taunt, as well as extra defensive utility with Water immunity or disabling Choiced mons. Doublade is physically bulkier thanks to Eviolite, while Aegislash has the freedom to run multiple items like Helmet for extra chip, Leftovers for passive healing or possibly Colbur Berry to tank a Knock Off.

:ss/Swampert:
Swampert @ Leftovers
Sap Sipper
252 HP/4 Def/252 SpD; Careful Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Toxic/Ice Punch
-Milk Drink
or

-Defog
-Earthquake
-Glare
-Roost
There is an obvious appeal in removing a 4x weakness, and there happen to be two defensive Sap Sipper donors that give Swampert good utility; with this weakness eliminated, Pert's defensive capabilities really shine, with max special bulk even letting it tank hits from Sheer Force inheritors (this thing once single-handedly saved me against !Nidoking Kyurem, which wasn't quite strong enough to 2HKO). !Miltank packs recovery while still allowing Pert to perform as a Rock setter, with either Toxic to weaken bulkier opponents or Ice Punch to hit Grass and Flying types. !Drampa Swampert instead takes the role of a Defogger that resists Rocks, and does provide one distinct advantage over Miltank with Glare to hamper fast offensive threats.

:ss/Ferrothorn:
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Flash Fire
252 HP/4 Def/252 SpD; Careful/Sassy Nature
-Spikes
-Rapid Spin
-Will-o-wisp
-Iron Head/Gyro Ball
The other big winner in removing a 4x weakness, Ferrothorn gains dual hazard utility with Rapid Spin as well as Wisp to cripple physical attackers; nature depends on which Steel STAB you want, bigger hit vs more PP and consistent damage. The main issue is that Ferro is much more reliant on Leftovers compared to normal since you lack recovery outside of Rest.

:ss/Shuckle:
Shuckle @ Smooth Rock
Sand Stream
248 HP/8 Def/252 SpD; Calm Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Toxic
-Whirlwind
-Slack Off
Inheriting Sand Stream from Hippopotas grants Shuckle a huge boost to its special bulk, making it a great setter for Sand teams. Having faced Sand teams multiple times from 1300+ players, I admit they can be scary to deal with, with threats like Sand Rush Ttar (!Sandslash) and Xurkitree (!Dracozolt), and probably would be screwed if I didn't naturally lean towards balance offense with my building. Shuckle enables these teams well with Rocks and Toxic, Slack Off for sustain and Whirlwind to provide mid-game utility against the many set-up sweepers in the meta. As bulky as it is, Shuckle is extremely weak to Taunt, and the need to keep Sand going as long as possible means it doesn't have the luxury of Boots, so removal is essential to keep it healthy.

:ss/Staryu: :ss/Starmie:
Whatever
Natural Cure

252 HP/4 Def/252 SpD; Calm Nature or 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD; Bold Nature
-Rapid Spin
-Scald/Toxic
-Recover
-Teleport/Flip Turn
And now for a defensive donor, Staryu is one I haven't seen a lot of conversation about; in no uncertain terms, Staryu is easily one of THE best defensive donors in the entire Meta. Staryu has a ton of great defensive assets it doesn't get to show off normally; hazard support, status in Scald or possible Toxic, instant recovery, absorbing status with Natural Cure and pivoting. Spin inherently has an edge over Defog in a fast-paced meta like this, so giving any defensive mon that ability to Spin is great. Nat Cure and Recover can make it hard to wear down any good !Staryu inheritor, and Teleport allows you to safely get in your ally (Flip Turn is also an option if you're scared of Taunt). This set is very splashable in terms of inheritors, with multiple great options like Fini, Pex, Pert, pretty much any defensive mon; I've actually run this set on Aegislash, and even that put in a ton of work. If your inheritor packs solid SpA, you can even utilize options like Future Sight (Starmie) or Ice Beam.

Thanks to its movepool, Starmie can also be a good offensive donor, between Hydro, Flip Turn, BoltBeam, Meteor Beam (Starmie), Flash Cannon (option for Steels) and Trick, as well as either Cure or Analytic to further boost power. Bottom line, Staryu/Starmie is possibly the most slept on donor in the meta.

This is only the tip of the iceberg in terms of defensive options for the tier, but I feel these are a good place to start for anyone new that wants a defensive option for their team.
A bit of feedback

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
252 HP/4 Def/252 SpD
Careful Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Toxic/Ice Punch
-Milk Drink

Swampert is one of the mons that doesnt gain much from removing its x4 weakness, as very little it already checks (which is a limited pool to begin with due to its somewhat lacking bulk) can/would bother running grass coverage in the first place, and it doesnt help it check grass mons as zarude, the only relevant one right now, still hits it hard with knock off. However, miltank!pert still has merit with Thick Fat, as that way does it not only make it a much better check to nido!kyurem and others of such kind, but it also makes it a check to vic donors, as otherwise it takes 50+ even at max defense from banded Vcreates

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Teleport
- Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp/Roar
- Iron Head/Roar

Ferrothorn does make good use of removing its x4 weakness, as it shields it from random fire coverage that is commonly ran and it allows it to check Darmanitan donors. Carkol is not the only option for this ability. Arcanine gives recovery on top of other utility such as Wisp, Roar and Teleport, at the price of giving away Rapid spin and hazards

Shuckle @ Heavy-Duty Boots/Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
248 HP/8 Def/252 SpD
Calm Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Body Press
-Whirlwind/Toxic
-Slack Off

Hippo!Shuckle is a sleeper pokemon. With sandstorm up it can switch into almost every special attacker with counted exceptions such as Keldeo. It also fixes one of its big problems in normal play: Its passivity. Thanks to Body Press, Shuckle can actually deal some damage himself, meaning that you cant just switch anything into it with your worst fear being a Toxic. This is huge for Shuckle, so I strongly recommend against not running it. Honestly the real reason we don't see Shuckle more often its because its a bit of a momentum drain

Last edited:
Here's a mon I've been using as a check for Nidoking inheritors:

Rotom-Heat @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Roost
- Sticky Web
- Volt Switch
- Toxic

Typing + Levitate makes it good against Flamethrower + BoltBeam + Earth Power, while still dealing with the surprise Superpower. Still need to worry about STAB Sludge Wave, or a random Surf (which they don't run, because it isn't boosted by Sheer Force, but I may have spoken it into existence). You can swap out Volt Switch+Sticky Web for U-Turn+Flamethrower. It's unfortunately not possible to get both Electric and Fire STAB on the Special side while keeping Roost.

EDIT: while keeping Roost + Pivoting*. Only realized I made that mistake after reading Schpoonman's post.

Last edited:
Here's a mon I've been using as a check for Nidoking inheritors:

Rotom-Heat @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Roost
- Sticky Web
- Volt Switch
- Toxic

Typing + Levitate makes it good against Flamethrower + BoltBeam + Earth Power, while still dealing with the surprise Superpower. Still need to worry about STAB Sludge Wave, or a random Surf (which they don't run, because it isn't boosted by Sheer Force, but I may have spoken it into existence). You can swap out Volt Switch+Sticky Web for U-Turn+Flamethrower. It's unfortunately not possible to get both Electric and Fire STAB on the Special side while keeping Roost.
If you're okay dropping Webs and pivoting, Latias and Latios both get Mystical Fire (great for fending off special hits) while carrying Thunderbolt, Roost, and whatever other coverage/utility like Defog or Healing Wish (Latias only) you'd like. Hydreigon gets better offensive Fire-type moves and U-turn, but it's limited to either Shock Wave or Charge Beam for Electric moves.

So I've been waiting for an appropriate time to post my team and
1631999535866.png

If there was one I think I found it.

I'm not too familiar with types of teams but I think mine classifies as balance.
1631999668846.png
Rillaboom (Zarude) @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- U-turn
By all accounts, a very funny monkey. I doubt there are things I could say about it that haven't been said. Lots of damage with band. It provides grassy terrain, which has good synergy with the rest of my team.
1632000250314.png
Hoothoot (Magearna) @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 172 SpA / 40 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Agility
This is just absurd. After setting up enough it can blast through almost anything. Giving it some defense + grassy seed allows it to give it some physical resilience, even if it is once per game and by one stage. Also less Earthquake damage and passive recovery. Preemptive boosts allow it to even take a non-stab Lord Sheer Force Flamethrower/Fire Blast. Usually the only user of a stab Lorb SF Flamethrower/blast is Heatran, which Magearna can break through if it gets enough boosts. Big if. Additionally, it is EV'ed to have 176 speed. This happens to be enough to be 352 after an Agility, which barely outspeeds Terrakion, Gengar and plenty others. Bulky boosting special attacker that doesn't care too much about resistances is cool.
1632002182707.png
Zygarde (Garchomp) @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
Jolly Nature
- Glare
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
I feel like I shouldn't have to explain this. "What if Garchomp got Dragon Dance?" seems to be a trend among OMs. Substitute allows for it to do damage and set up much safer than otherwise. Glare does that too. Hypothetically, if I Glare an opponent and spam Substitute, I can secure a Dragon Dance and blow through most teams pretty simply. Rillaboom!Zarude providing Grassy Terrain also allows the aforementioned Substitute spam. Not having Earthquake and using Thousand Arrows is better for 2 reasons, one of them being that. The other being hitting Ground Types/Levitating mons.
1632003434023.png
Drampa (Tapu Fini) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 220 Def / 40 SpD
Bold Nature
- Glare
- Roost
- Defog
- Ice Beam
On the defensive side, this is the first member of my team with less than 600 BST. It's pretty simple. It Glares. It clears hazards. It has instant recovery. Ice Beam was chosen because this thing effectively walls Rillaboom!Zarude, and can't do much against Garchomp w/ Substitute. Thus Ice Beam. Additionally Urshifu-Rapid-Strike inheriting from Crawdaunt gets walled as well, although Tapu Fini's only pressure against it is Glare or a freeze.
1632007373564.png
Mew (Blissey) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 172 SpD
Calm Nature
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Transform
Fire Types inheriting from Volcarona give my team a decent amount of trouble. To deal with that I had Clefable w/ Magic Guard giving its traits to Blissey. The differences were just it had Leftovers, and Seismic Toss replaced Transform. Mew could reasonably replace Transform with Night Shade. Honestly probably a better set generally. I switched to Mew because Garchomp not Glaring the wrong mon was becoming a win condition. However, Synchronize bypasses Substitute, making the opposite Garchomp paralyzed. For those counting, this is third choice for paralyzing and the second for Zygarde!Garchomp with Substitute.
1632008815904.png
Corsola-Galar (Doublade) @ Eviolite
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Bold Nature
- Strength Sap
- Night Shade
- Will-O-Wisp
- Haze
It's Corsola-G with better defense, worse special defense and a Toxic immunity. It's very good at walling certain physical attackers, and Burning them. There's not much to say about it. One thing that I find funny about it is that, on ladder, people seem to want to either Knock of or Poltergeist it, which sometimes are on the same teams. Some very obvious anti-synergy imo.

Heya, incase you didn't know, as of the recent suspect, Sheer Force has been banned from Inheritance, where as Regenerator stays. That is not the only thing that will be happening this week, as we have noted multiple concerns from players in the suspect test thread. Additionally, we had some discussion in council about potentially uncompetitive aspects of the game, and as such, we assembled a list of Pokemon to vote on. Here's the list of voting:

ChazmClefableDon VascusThe Number ManFinal Vote
DragapultBanDo Not BanDo Not BanDo Not BanDo Not Ban
King's RockAbstainDo Not BanBanBanBan
MagearnaBanBanBanBanBan
Quick ClawAbstainDo Not BanBanBanBan
Quick DrawAbstainBanBanBanBan
RillaboomDo Not BanBanDo Not BanDo Not BanDo Not Ban
Thousand ArrowsBanDo Not BanBanBanBan
Urshifu-RapidBanDo Not BanAbstainDo Not BanDo Not Ban
VictiniDo Not BanBanDo Not BanDo Not BanDo Not Ban

As a result, King's Rock, Magearna, Quick Claw, Quick Draw and Thousand Arrows are now banned from Inheritance.

Ban reasoning below:

Magearna has been banned due to many reasons - but the two sets that the council agreed on that were unhealthy were its Noctowl and Comfey sets, both of which were extremely overwhelming on screens and had very little offensive counterplay due to Magearna's high bulk and ways of circumventing traditional answers, either through ignoring resistances or ignoring faster mons entirely. Additionally, the defensive checks to these sets were also quite difficult to find, with players especially finding frustration with how Noctowl!Magearna could cheese through some sturdier checks like Heatran and Blissey with moveset variations like Calm Mind and Hypnosis. All in all, Magearna was simply too versatile and powerful for the metagame, and as such has been banned.

Thousand Arrows may not have been mentioned that much in the suspect test as something to look out for, but the council determined that Thousand Arrows was significantly unhealthy for the simple reason that it removed most viable ways of checking other Ground-types by removing Flying-types as a viable answer. Additionally, the moveslots that Thousand Arrows gave as a result of its role compression allowed bases like Garchomp to cheese through its checks with Glare and Toxic, often times making good answers like Buzzwole and Zarude difficult to keep alive down to the heavy amount of chip damage they would take trying to take Thousand Arrows users on.

As to why Thousand Arrows was banned instead of Zygarde, the council believes that without Thousand Arrows, Zygarde is an entirely fine entity to keep in the metagame. As a base, it is also fairly advantageous, being one of the bulkiest walls in the metagame, being able to take on some rather dubiously powerful threats like Terrakion, Urshifu-R and Zarude without much effort.

King’s Rock, Quick Claw and Quick Draw were all banned under the same reasoning – they’re heavily reliant on luck and oftentimes they force game-defining coinflips. Quick Draw / Quick Claw were often used in tandem with slow Pokemon with high SpA like Chandelure and Hatterene, that given the coverage of Galar-Slowbro on top of Nasty Plot, were not easy to wall and could cheese any offensive Pokemon that could potentially revenge kill them. King's Rock abusers such as Minccino!Archeops and Cloyster!Weavile had the potential to cheese through otherwise solid defensive checks to these Pokemon. The luck involved in these strategies and the effect they could have in matches was considered uncompetitive and not fit for the metagame.

(shoutouts Don Vascus for writing this one up for me)

Tagging Kris to implement.

Last edited:
Hello! Some of you may know me, I go by Mengy, and I enjoy positively contributing to the meta game :)

Today I wanted to share a screens + evasion ability team that I have been working on, it’s super fun and has 4 brightpowders which is sure to keep the game interesting!

Here it is: https://pokepast.es/38fdbd0610bc91c3

I have some funny replays with a lot of missed attacks too:https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8inheritance-1426644870

Threat list: Machamp inheritors can hit through my evasion boosts, and Dragon Dance can sweep my team if they hit all their attacks

Anyway, hope you try out the team ^____^

Last edited:
Hi there. The Viability Rankings for Inheritance has been updated to better reflect the current metagame after the most recent bans.

Regarding Zeraora / Tapu Koko: for now, we have decided to keep them shelved. Their immense speed in combination with how difficult it is to resist BoltBeam and the various Magic Guard / Regenerator donors that give this make these two both hard to wear down and hard to wall. In initial discussion on unbanning the two, we mostly came to the conclusion of Clefable!Tapu Koko as being the breaking factor of Tapu Koko, given how easily it could set up and its mirrors to Clefable!Dragapult, which is already incredibly good. As for Zeraora, we initially were going to unban it, but after more theorymon, we ended up coming to the conclusion that various BoltBeam donors like Audino, Clefable and Genesect would break Zeraora too.

I not only have this, but two more things to tell you. I will be stepping down as leader of Inheritance. I will not be leaving council however, as I still consider myself actively playing this metagame enough to participate in discussion. The reasoning for this is that I'm currently leading & participating in too much to do my job effectively as a leader & council member in various metagames, and burnout from mons has been getting to me for a while now.

In my place, Don Vascus will be the new leader of Inheritance! Don Vascus has shown consistent interest in the metagame as a council member and has been insightful in various aspects relating to a ladder based perspective.

iapt

the unsuspecting victim of darkness in the valley
is a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi, I'm here to post my teams from omsl now that its over. I'll be putting the paste and a brief description of the team here.

w1 - DNP
w2- https://pokepast.es/c9911a0529a08cac This team is from when both sheer force and magearna were still legal, thus the presence of regenvest silv poison and sflo thundy. Scarf buzzwole is there as a solid physical tank and as a form of speed control to kill fast frail things that mighht typically stay in, like terrakion, gengar and dragapult, outspeeding all 3 at +1. Regenerator gives it good longevity to be able to switchin several times throughout a game. Silvally is there primarily as a magearna check, but functions as a strong special wall that can remove items and spread status. Dragapult and thundurus are my strong special breakers that can blow open teams, zarude functions similarly but on the physical side. Tapu fini is there as hazard removal and another defensive mon.
w3- https://pokepast.es/5a4d1f3463e74ee3 this is a tr team built by beauts. functions similarly to any tr team, set tr then get in your breakers. I had a bit of an unfortunate matchup that week, it is still a solid team.
w4- https://pokepast.es/af679fd7eca6318b this is probably my favorite team i used this tour, featuring, yet again, scarf buzzwole and band zarude. Blissey is a strong special tank that is capable of coming in many times per game and checking potent threats like dragapult. This zygarde is a strong physical wall that can threaten things out with a strong earthquake or statusing it, while also chipping with rocky helmet and removing hazards. Alakazam and cinderace functions as very strong breakers that are able to deal big damage to resists
w5- https://pokepast.es/0baf040479d531e6 This team was originially built around alolawak!pult and band terrak but that was found to be rather lackluster in test games, so it was switched to specs + sd. Landorus is there as a spiker to ease the breaking for terrak and pult, fini is there as a pivot and secondary hazard removal, steela is a special tank and hazard control and blissey as another special wall.

I thought these teams were pretty solid and probably deserved a better pilot than me. Apologies for not posting teams while this meta still had a ladder. Thanks for reading and have a good day :)

e: was asked by beauts to include an updated version of the tr team that doesnt get hardwalled by arcanine!zygarde ft the amazing drampa: https://pokepast.es/c9b4f15ec4b6bf68

Last edited:

Don Vascus

Hi! I have some announcements to make:

:ss/landorus:
Landorus Incarnate has been UNBANNED from Inheritance!

After some discussion following the Sheer Force ban, the council has unanimously decided to free Lando I, as what made it so good is no longer present and there are no glaring reasons to keep it banned. Hopefully it becomes a fun addition to the meta!
Tagging Kris to implement this change
And...
gimme ur teams.png

Inheritance is now accepting Sample Team Submissions!
(And New Samples!)

The council and I have added some samples to the samples page, but we still need some team variety. With OMSL almost over, everyone should feel comfortable submitting their teams for everyone to use, so Sample Submissions are open to everyone now!
To submit a team just post in the thread and make it clear you want to submit it. If you have already posted a team you want to submit, you can submit the team by editing the post with it that you want to submit it and notifying me, or posting it in my profile.​

We have some guidelines for submissions. Barring the first one, they don't need to be followed to a T (there's a team with 2 UR mons in samples already), but I think that these are the ideal characteristics of a sample teams:

- The Team Must be Good: Sorta obvious, but it doesn't hurt to state. Don't submit bad or gimmicky teams, as well as teams you have no clue if they'll work or not
-The Team Should be Different from the Ones Already in the Samples: I don't want to have 3 teams in the samples use the same core. If possible, try to submit teams with different playstyles than the ones already on display, or different offensive/defensive cores.
- The Team Should be Easy for Beginners to Use: Not a requirement, but these teams are probably gonna be used by players with little experience in general, so simpler teams would be better for this purpose
-The Teams Should be Representative of What the Meta Looks Like: Also not a requirement, but these teams will work as an introduction to the meta for many players, so it'd be ideal to have them use well established pokemons.

anaconja

long day at job
since im not playing inheritance in om spotlight anymore ill dump the teams i made

up until this point i was just memeing around in inh with big stalls and OOPS! ALL REGEN so coming into this i didnt really know the meta too much. i did have camo ideas though which led me to tentacruel as boneless glowking. didn't see use because according to qt it doesnt actually do much

:regidrago::darmanitan::kyurem::toxapex::type-null::celesteela:
-> :mandibuzz::darmanitan::kyurem::toxapex::type-null::tapu-bulu:
-> :mandibuzz::heatran::kyurem::toxapex::type-null::tapu-bulu:
->:mandibuzz::heatran::kyurem::zapdos-galar::type-null::tapu-bulu:
-> :mandibuzz::tapu-fini::kyurem::tapu-bulu::buzzwole::zygarde:
->
basically mandibuzz outspeeds the defensive fairy (magearna before it was banned, and now tapu fini) and blows it up. then kyurem goes ham. definitely the most worked on team even though it never saw use. which im really sad about because its such a cool (and funny) idea.

awful frenchlike team i made. 0 speed control against physical attackers and i hate using slow passive ass pivots unless its on stall

tr. when i build for a new meta i just go through all the common archetypes and build them. so i kinda doubt that this is good, never tested it though so who knows

webs. again another filler team, did test it a bit on ladder, did pretty mediocre

spike stacking (but its not french)!!!!

cobbled together from qt posting some interesting sets. questionable synergy.

qt went with the idea of broken camo sets and came up on kyurem-celesteela. i think its possible to work with but in the tests i did it didnt actually do anything

spike stacking 2. setup heatran was kinda interesting to me because my stall team had a lot of trouble against it. might be too slow now

_____________________________ mass ban (mag, tarrows, sf) _____________________________

dual screens, featuring TOWER OF POWER. idk what heatran was doing there but it was probably for magearna who no longer existed

at this point i happened across chazm's entire builder. the dragapult is pretty heat and youll see mixed pult a lot from now on

teams that i actually played
:zygarde::buzzwole::oranguru::victini::swampert::magearna:
->
iconic triple helmet stall. tested a lot on ladder and it did pretty fantastic in pre-massban meta.
replay (week 2)

spike stacking 3 (spike stacking is just so easy to build sorry)
replay (week 3)

hard stall postban. doublade barely does anything (probably replace with something more specially bulky) and i shouldve added a cleric somewhere.
replay (week 4)

double setup regen is pretty incredible. could probably use pivoting on the defensive mons but it worked so w/e. first part of the team is a fragment from chazm's builder. noted that tectonic liked to bring fatass semistalls so picked this team which paid off so much
replay (week 5)

:buzzwole::dragapult::heatran::celesteela::tapu-fini::zygarde:
->
a collab with Chazm. this team is pretty flames imo and it was really unfortunate that a lot of shit went wrong for me during the game (brought the wrong team, didn't play around the electivire, sacked buzzwole).
replay (finals)

anyway building for inh was fun, rip gambit buzz and blizzard guts kommo-o (you were a real one)

submitting:
gambit + regidrago (not gonna get in but worth a try): https://pokepast.es/5075d4d8c0e735f3
spike stacking 3: https://pokepast.es/944bd3df7811894a
double setup regen + pult + chomp: https://pokepast.es/e0923aea341affcb
guts buzz + pult + scarf fini: https://pokepast.es/0891da67f79710e1
RETURN OF TRIPLE HELMET STALL: https://pokepast.es/ceab3e477e54c02f

1634658604663.png

Last edited:
I got back into inh because i was managing so here's my still legal teams (apart from the one thats alr a sample):

:dragapult: :celesteela: :bewear: :blissey: :zygarde: :tapu fini: guts bear
i made this after don said he wanted to use guts bewear, nothing special pretty standard stuff. the idea was that fighting type breakers (and Victini inheritors) really appreciate a fast special pivot that brings them in on the incoming special wall so i paired it with pult. celesteela for a grass resist and some prio and then the classic zygfiniblob core

:toxapex: :buzzwole: :dragapult: :heatran: :zygarde: :blissey: SIGMA TEAM
i wanted to build with corsolapex cause the idea was it beats all hazard removers by crippling them with scald/toxic while regening chip, as well as just being a great physical blanket. jokes on me cause ppl started using starmie!fini. team is still good tho, cause NP toxic tran is really good at breaking down fat and setting up dragapult endgames. mienbuzz is my zarude check, mengy suggested i make it scarf which could be the right move but band has been nice for breaking down fat teams which are more common currently. rounded out with... you guessed it zygblob

:dragapult: :chandelure: :snorlax: :tapu fini: :swampert: :celesteela: Zyzzpult aka ghostspam mgspam (zyzz is the OG fitness influencer that popularized bodybuilding as self improvement - rip 2011 - hence physical pult = zyzzpult)

i wanted to try out the CB pult set i saw QT mention in om cord. team turned into ghostspam with pult chand and dab!fini as the wincon. supported by the lax + bird + fire/elec resist core.

:silvally: :zarude: :celesteela: :dragapult: :swampert: :blissey: Zarude + tornvally
NP taunt torn!poisonvally is pretty good at pressuring anything except FF steels, can set up on most zarude switchins and enjoys the ground neutrality provided by terrain. zarude + poisonvally is just a match made in heaven tbh. finished off by Pult cause pult is the best fast breaker and blob bird pert.

:dragapult: :buzzwole: :silvally: :celesteela: :snorlax: :swampert: pultbuzz + kingvally
poisonvally again, this time i wanted to recreate cm pexking from camo. paired it with Pult + Perserkerr Buzz cause again, pult is the best fast (special) breaker that brings in the unwallable TC buzzwole.

:silvally: :garchomp: :dragapult: :snorlax: :celesteela: :mew: CAP dragonspam
another silvally, this time clef!fairyvally. i basically tried recreating one of my cap teams that was built with chomp + pult + cm clef, so the same core is featured here, they just get ability/stat upgrades. also features base mew lmao, cause i wanted a spiker and mew actually felt like the best fit here. i think i wanted to run suicune in mew's slot initially but changed it to mew, idr why tho

Anyway building for inheritance was really fun, I was basically trying to explore every possible variation of Pult balance with various bulky wincons so forgive me for the relative samey-ness of my teams. But honestly i feel like there's still a bunch of stuff to try, such as the Pult sets anaconja posted, various clefable inheritors, various noctowl inheritors, various celesteela sets, Clefable's heat techs etc. Hopefully we win omotm again soon so we can play this meta again. See you guys on the ladder!

i have a very creative team.
https://pokepast.es/49c21de8af2c92bf
Rocket Man is Beast Boost sweeper.
Big Duckie is a sirfetch'd with close combat, yikes. And if it doesn't kill, he can hit u with t-kick, which lowers defense. And hits hard. A killer combo. Inherited from Zapdos-galar
Danger Zone is pretty good, removing a quad weakness, and having sweep potential with Calm Mind
Inherited from Cresellia
*windows vista off* is a Clang sweeper. Simple, effective
Inhertied from Kommo-o
Just Cursed is very cursed because of Triple Axel, while also having Hone Claws, how can you hone clws hen ur a mammoth?
Obviosly inherited from weavile
Alpha Male is punching you with Technician boosted Bullet Punches, while having the opportunity to set up with Swords Dance, very nice.
Inherited from Scizor
I was mostly trying to work around bans most of the time lol.

So I'm trying to make an Inheritance team in case it makes OM of the month... but my mind is completely blanking. I realised a few days ago that Drampa would be a great donor for a special sweeper, but I can't decide what to donate it to.

EDIT: While trying to come up with a setup-pivot, I discovered that Claydol learns Nasty Plot and special moves from about half the types. This could be useful information.

Last edited:

UT

The sand hurts my feelings
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Appeals + C&C Lead
Hello friends,

It has recently been brought to my attention that Inheritance does not have Sleep Moves Clause. Especially since there is the potential for dumb stuff like Garchomp to use Sleep + setup, I humbly request that you consider adopting Sleep Moves Clause. (Also, mods are bad)

Thank you for your time, and I leave you with this fun set to use in the meantime:

:ss/garchomp:
Garchomp @ Soft Sand
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Sleep Powder
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Don Vascus

We have decided to implement a full ban on sleep-inducing moves in Inheritance. This Sleep Moves Clause would take the place of the current Sleep Clause Mod.

There has been a community-wide change in sleep's perception, with many believing the status is uncompetitive in OMs. In the Inheritance metagame, stronger and faster pokemon have access to accurate sleep moves than in standard metagames, and the pairing of sleep moves plus setup moves has proved especially problematic. Due to the random nature of the sleep timer, defensively checking a sleep-using sweeper is inconsistent and rng-dependent. Until now, the Sleep Clause Mod has limited the sleep status to one pokemon in order to maintain competitive standards of play, but we no longer believe this is the best way of dealing with the status.

There are no shortage of threatening sleep-using sweepers in the current Inheritance metagame. Pokemon such as Tangrowth!Garchomp and Amoonguss!Gengar can make use of Sleep Powder and Spore respectively to bypass checks and wreak havoc. Sleep abuse is not only limited to accurate sleep moves, however; thanks to its high longevity, Noctowl!Celesteela can fish for Hypnosis over longer games and find opportunities to set up. These are the main examples, but in principle any pokemon can use sleep moves in Inheritance and create similarly problematic situations.

Banning sleep moves is not a decision that we take lightly. A competitive and fun Inheritance meta should involve a healthy variety of viable strategies, and we have striven to maintain that to the best of our abilities. We believe banning sleep moves outright, rather than restricting it or banning problematic donors, is the best solution to reduce uncompetitiveness while minimizing collateral damage to the metagame.

Thank you Clefable for helping me write this

Tagging Kris to implement

Having such a blast playing Inheritance. There are just too many unique and interesting sets and I see this thread is quite outdated so thought I may share some of my sets:

1657464540733.png
1657463344186.png
1657464532058.png

Pangoro (Garchomp) @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch
- Swords Dance

Great wallbreaker, only a few pokemon that can take a +2 hit: fini, slowbro, suicune, defensive buzzwole. Expert belt can be used for better longevity, but then you won't 1 shot intimidate zygarde:
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Garchomp Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zygarde: 406-478 (96.6 - 113.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

Druddigon (Garchomp) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 180 Atk / 76 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch/stealth rocks
- Taunt
- Glare

Great lead. EV'd to guarantee 2 hit KO max defense ferrothorn after leftovers. Rest of EVs into defense over sp. def for Terrakion and urshifu. 180 attack EVs will still 1 shot Terrakion and 2 hit KO Urshifu.

1657464568207.png
1657462643960.png

Pangoro (Buzzwole) @ Leftovers
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Focus Punch
- Substitute
- Taunt/drain punch
- Toxic

Buzzwole is fantastic, offensive or defensive, should honestly be S- tier. I find this set to be the most effective, you just get so much mileage out of scrappy being immune to intimidate as well. I usually always find opportunities to get off a focus punch with or without substitute and you toxic the fairy counters.

1657465058533.png
1657462674671.png

Frosmoth (Kyurem) @ Leftovers
Ability: Ice Scales
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Quiver Dance
- Infestation
- Rest

Very scary lategame setup sweeper, infestation to trap passive mons and get better setup opportunities. EV'd to outspeed 350 after +1.

1657464623109.png
1657462690680.png

Hydreigon (Heatran) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon
- U-turn
- Roost

Very standard Heatran set, but it has amazing synergy with the mons I have listed above. Slow U - turn pivot over nasty plot is preferred in almost all cases.

1657464640865.png
1657465567446.png

Clefairy (Thundurus) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Dynamic Punch
- Soft-Boiled

or

Clefairy (Thundurus) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 72 Atk / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Focus Punch
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Soft-Boiled

Prefer mixed Thundurus over Zapdos, speed and attack over bulk in the case with fighting moves. Dynamic punch to 2 hit KO blissey and Regenvest Snorlax or Focus punch to 1 hit KO after stealth rocks.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)