Metagame Inheritance

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Okay, I discovered one of my favorite sets during this month of Inheritance so I present to you stallbreaker Nihilego

:ss/nihilego:
Nihilego @ Black Sludge
Ability: Neutralizing Gas
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute
- Infestation
- Taunt

The basic game plan is to trap your opponent and burn them, prevent them from healing with Taunt while keeping a Sub up as often as you can to block status and other moves. Neutralizing Gas is a fantastic ability that allows to you shut down abilities that would usually counter this set such as Magic Bounce, Magic Guard, Prankster, and Flash Fire. It also prevents Regenerator mons from healing when they switch out, letting you handle teams that rely on Regenerator spam.

Nihilego is pretty much the best inheritor for this set due to several factors:

- Subs with over 100 HP that can't be broken by one Seismic Toss/Night Shade
- Immunity to Poison and Sandstorm. Not even Corrosion works because of Neutralizing Gas
- Resistance to U-Turn and high enough special bulk to tank Volt Switch should they try to escape (Flip Turn is a different story)
- Fast enough to outspeed most walls in the game

Its Defense is its main weakness but max investment and Burn can help soften physical attacks. There are also multiple teammates that can help this set succeed.

- Water, Psychic, Steel, and Ground resists to take care of its weaknesses.
- Slow pivots - you don't want Nihilego to take any damage if you can help it since it has no healing outside of Black Sludge.
- Hazard control/removal - again, the less damage Nihilego takes, the better. Toxic Spikes in a nonissue for obvious reasons.
- Knock Off - removing the opponents' Leftovers helps to wear them done even faster while removing Rocky Helmets is pretty important since Infestation is a contact move.
- Sandstream can boost Nihilego's Special Defense and add additional chip damage.

Here's a replay against a stall team (pre Unaware and Xatu ban). It's a long game, but you can see this set putting in work wearing the opposing Pokemon down.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8inheritance-1278420294

Here's the newest version of the team that actually reached #1 on the ladder:
https://pokepast.es/d03604eb6bdb85df

Not being able to carry Eviolite seriously cuts into Blissey's bulk comparatively . This was also prior to the Unaware ban, which may give boosting attackers an actual shot at breaking Chansey (and Cress if we want to go there).

For perspective, comparing 252/252+/4 Chansey to Blissey with the same spread, Chansey has 33% more physical bulk than Blissey, and almost 20% more special.

haha I beat Chazm to the punch

Congratulations on OMotM! Really looking forward to seeing how the metagame develops with Unaware and Xatu gone. I know this metagame is all about min-maxing, but Unaware feels to me like one of those Abilities or moves that was really only intended to be given to Pokemon with less-than-stellar statlines.

Stakataka @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rollout
- Bullet Punch
- Curse
- Fake Out

It told me my set is illegal, why?
Because nothing learns those moves to inherit from. Only hitmontop can get technician and bullet punch, and it can't learn rollout

Stakataka @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Rollout
- Bullet Punch
- Curse
- Fake Out

It told me my set is illegal, why?
A teambuilding tip you should follow is that you start with a regular Pokemon set that’s legal in normal formats, and then replace the Pokemon in Import to the desired Pokemon.
So make a legal Hitmontop set, go into import/export, and change the part that says Hiymontop to Mamoswine (or what ever you want).

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Hey there, gratz on being OMotm. I came here without some nice ideas of sets I just had. Have fun reading.

urshifu-rapidstrike.gif

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance / Dragon Dance
- Aqua Jet / Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Close Combat

This is probably an obvious duo for any veteran of the tier, and there’s a good reason for it. Urshifu-R is a good Pokemon but it has a pretty bad ability and lack an interesting boosting move. Well, in Inheritance there’s a solution for this, and this solution is called Crawdaunt :crawdaunt:. Why? Firstly, you get one of the best offensive ability: Adaptability and two very good STAB moves in Crabhammer and Close Combat. Secondly, you can have a real boosting move (cause Bulk Up is rather bad). Swords Dance with Adaptability boosted Aqua Jet or Dragon Dance with a coverage move like Knock Off are two options you can chose to have both a threatening wallbreaker and an excellent cleaner.

tapulele.gif

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Expanding Force
- Dazzling Gleam
- Mystical Fire
- Trick

Don’t tell me you’ve never dreamed of Expanding Force Tapu Lele. Well, here it’s a thing thanks to the other Psychic Terrain setter, Indeedee :indeedee:. Your Fairy STAB will be a little weaker, but in exchange you’ll get an extremely strong Expanding Force, as well as a reliable way to hit Steel types with Mystical Fire (cause Focus Blast is Focus Blast) and also Trick because why not.

gengar.gif

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power / Flamethrower / Thunderbolt

Nidoking :nidoking: is a good breaker isn’t it? Now this is a Nidoking but faster and way stronger, going from a mediocre 85 Spa to a very good 130. Nidoking gives him its very spammable dual STAB as well as a lot of interesting coverage moves.

garchomp.gif

Garchomp @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed / Stone Edge

Who never wonder why Garchomp didn’t get Dragon Dance? Hopefully we can rectify this mistake thanks to its mate Zygarde :zygarde:. Oh, and don’t forget to give him Thousand Arrows too, cause it’s a… great move. Extreme Speed could be cool too, to pick a KO on weakened faster foes.

buzzwole.gif

Buzzwole @ Choice Band / Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off

Buzzwole hits hard and is very bulky. This is the kind of Pokemon who would love to be able to come in, absorb an attack and retaliate hard while healing. In Inheritance, it can do that thanks to Mienshao :mienshao: and the more than appreciated combo of Regenerator and U-turn. Of course, you’ll also receive a very powerful Close Combat as well as some nice coverage.

terrakion.gif

Terrakion @ Life Orb / Focus Sash
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Accelerock
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

This thing is even more a beast than the previous Pokemon. Terrakion stupidly high Attack can be enhanced by Though Claws thanks to Lycanroc-Dusk :lycanroc-dusk: who also gives him the priority move he always loved to have: Accelerock. I’m still unsure about how you’re supposed to find a switch-in to this thing.

escavalier.gif

Escavalier @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Adamant Nature
- Coil
- Fire Lash
- Leech Life
- Knock Off / Power Whip

Escavalier is bulky, very bulky and to add on this, he only has one weakness. Well, what fi he had 0? Ask Centiskorch :centiskorch: to give him Flash Fire and a nice boosting move in Coil. Leech Life helps healing yourself while Fire Lash is still a nice move even without the STAB.

dragapult.gif

Dragapult @ Spell Tag
Ability: Wandering Spirit
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Dragon Pulse
- Earth Power

Dragapult is fast, really fast. However, it lacks a bit of power, especially on the special side. But what if this thing had Nasty Plot. Runerigus :runerigus: (yeah you probably forgot this Pokemon) can give him both Nasty Plot and a dual STAB so that it can still spam Shadow Ball but with way more power. Wandering Spirit can be a cool ability to cripple Pokemon that relies too much on their new ability.

dragapult.gif

Dragapult @ Spell Tag / Leftovers
Ability: Adaptability
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt / Substitute

Another version of Nasty Plot Dragapult, but this time you inherit Porygon-Z :porygon-z: to gain a sweet boost on Shadow Ball thanks to Adaptibility. The main drawback of choosing Porygon-Z is that you’ll get less interesting coverage, but this thing can be a threat against teams lacking a good Ghost resist.

Hope this gave you some ideas, have fun building in the tier and have a nice day.

So can someone tell me why this set is illegal? Pretty sure Koko is a valid donor and Zapdos is UUBL, Koko knows all the moves as well. But it keeps pulling up that it's an illegal set with an ability from Pincurchin.

Koko (Zapdos-Galar) @ Electric Seed
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Iron Head
- U-turn

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
So can someone tell me why this set is illegal? Pretty sure Koko is a valid donor and Zapdos is UUBL, Koko knows all the moves as well. But it keeps pulling up that it's an illegal set with an ability from Pincurchin.

Koko (Zapdos-Galar) @ Electric Seed
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Iron Head
- U-turn
Koko was banned, check the op

I’m trying to make a Hawlucha -> Zapdos-Galar set, but it says the set is illegal.
Here is the set;
Zapdos-Galar @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 96 SpD / 160 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Close Combat
- Sword Dance
- Taunt

Rest of my team;
:Hitmontop: -> :Weavile:
Weavile @ Wide Lens
Jolly Nature
- Triple Axel
- Brutal Swing
- Mach Punch
- Bulk Up

:Rillaboom: -> :Zarude:
Zarude @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- U-turn

:Latios: -> :Dragapult:
Dragapult @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Memento
- Draco Meteor

:Magearna: -> :Kommo-o:
Kommo-o @ Twisted Spoon
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 236 HP / 252 SpA / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shift Gear
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Aura Sphere

:Skarmory: -> :Crobat:
Crobat @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Brave Bird
- Roost
Aside from the EVs and nature, this is literally just standard Hawlucha set.

I’m trying to make a Hawlucha -> Zapdos-Galar set, but it says the set is illegal.
Here is the set;
Zapdos-Galar @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 96 SpD / 160 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Close Combat
- Sword Dance
- Taunt

Rest of my team;
:Hitmontop: -> :Weavile:
Weavile @ Wide Lens
Jolly Nature
- Triple Axel
- Brutal Swing
- Mach Punch
- Bulk Up

:Rillaboom: -> :Zarude:
Zarude @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- U-turn

:Latios: -> :Dragapult:
Dragapult @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Memento
- Draco Meteor

:Magearna: -> :Kommo-o:
Kommo-o @ Twisted Spoon
EVs: 236 HP / 252 SpA / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shift Gear
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Aura Sphere

:Skarmory: -> :Crobat:
Crobat @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Brave Bird
- Roost
Aside from the EVs and nature, this is literally just standard Hawlucha set.
unburden is banned

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
Setup sweepers are kind of broken right now and im having fun trying random screen setters to abuse them
:Raikou: / :Aurorus:
Raikou @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard
- Stealth Rock
Boltbeam coverage is strong and it also comes with rocks, there must be better options but i like Raikou (and the faster electrics are banned anyway)

:Mamoswine: / :Sandslash-Alola:
Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Slush Rush
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Triple Axel
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
And this thing just has to come along with Hail, Ice+Ground should cover most stuff in the game but you never know what is levitating here.

:Volcanion: / :Volcarona:
Volcanion @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Roost
- Safeguard
This is the classic volc set but you change half of the name. Is slower but has better Def, and people dont see it coming until it hits the field.

The tier is fun, but feels out of control, there isnt much that can switch into Dragapult that isnt set up fodder for like 80 different mons.

This idiot (:Clawitzer:) got a new toy this generation, Terrain Pulse. When used inside Terrain, its power doubles from 50 to 100 and takes on the typing of the given Terrain. Clawitzer's signature Ability Mega Launcher boosts the power of Aura and Pulse moves by 50%. Enter, stage left, this asshole.

:Latios: @ Choice Specs/Scarf
Ability: Mega Launcher
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Terrain Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- U-turn

Requires Psychic Surge support, but Specs does cool stuff like 2HKO Blissey from full. Dragon Pulse is only just barely behind vanilla Draco Meteor in power, and U-turn (could also run Flip Turn, but that's both weaker and has immunities in Abilities) is U-turn, for when you scare something out and you want to maintain momentum.

:Tapu Bulu: @ Life Orb
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Play Rough
- Close Combat
- Psychic Fangs

Grass STAB is overrated.

:Xurkitree: @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Shift Gear
- Thunderbolt
- Aura Sphere
- Stored Power

Need to play around with this set more. SpDef Regenerator Swampert is a mostly hard stop to it, but once this gets a KO it's incredibly difficult to stop.

Also, 2 Ability Clause is not active right now. If we could stop the Regenerator spam that'd be great.

Last edited:
so slowbro-g is one of the scariest inheritors possible

slowbro-galussy (Garchomp) @ Figy Berry / Quick CLaw
Ability: Quick Draw
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Belly Drum
- Slack Off
there's a good chance a lot of mons are better than garchomp at this role, but i just chose it to bluff zydog. you can already see why its so broken(qdqc, belly drum, slack off, good moves), but it also has some insane support potential. you can stack it with a slowtwin inheritor like suicune and effectively have two slowtwins on the same team. so yeah i'd recommend you guys try and fuck with slowbro-galussy, it has tons of potential

Feeling a little uneasy about Magearna. It feels like you either carry something that threatens to OHKO it off the bat (Cinderace is great at this) or one of its many sweeping sets only needs one turn to blow you up. It's a testament just how scary just Triage and Noctowl are that I don't think I've seen a single Quiver Dance yet.

since its omotm and i've never seriously played this meta before, thoughts on this team? tried to use the vr and a little bit of my own stuff https://pokepast.es/ad92ed99286c756f
first, zygarde isnt a good donor because it doesnt have any ability.
celesteela do not have recovery when it could because if i'm right the donor is pashirisu which learns roost. for a defoger you need recovery.
mag seems cool.
i dont like weavile and without knock off it's not a pkm.
sturdy doesnt work well with the stuff you've got on ferro.

thats it

first, zygarde isnt a good donor because it doesnt have any ability.
That’s crazy, as Zygarde-50%, who overall has worse stats than Garchomp, didn’t need an ability with any use to be considered broken in several formats.
And that’s in a format where Steel types off the ground are pretty rare and in a format that hasn’t banned most of those moves that make Zygarde good (yet).

12FE66BD-E90F-4314-BAFD-742B1CACB8B3.png
Hippowdown @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Nuzzle/Super Fang/Toxic
- Wish
- Spiky Shield
- U-turn

B6FFD268-4E83-4A0E-9C0D-211DAC3B6767.png

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Glare
- Roost
- Defog
- Surf/Hydro Pump/Ice Beam

I think these two form a solid physical defensively support. I really enjoy paralysis because it’s a good form of speed control. I think they go well with Zygarde Garchomp because most things that can outspeed can be reliably paralyzed, and pretty much the only think that can’t be paralyzed are electric types. Obviously their collective weakness is toxic and not being so specially bulky. I did prepare for that with:

50143147-E4D6-4238-BCEA-10CEC73AC898.png
Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss

Behold! A pretty standard Blissey. Rock setter with instant recovery, (pseudo) toxic immunity and Heal Bell was the best compliment I could think of.

Last edited:
I've been struggling with this for a few hours now, I can't figure out why the sets don't work.
The team is:
Mamoswine (Alola Sandslash)
Cinderace (Hitmonchan)
Ferrothorn (Sharpedo)
Hatterene (Ribombee)
Shuckle (Ninjask)
Glaceon (Abomasnow)
1630724290483.png

I've been struggling with this for a few hours now, I can't figure out why the sets don't work.
The team is:
Mamoswine (Alola Sandslash)
Cinderace (Hitmonchan)
Ferrothorn (Sharpedo)
Hatterene (Ribombee)
Shuckle (Ninjask)
Glaceon (Abomasnow)
View attachment 369627
Cinderace and Hatterene are because you made them gmax and the mons they inherit from don't have Gmax forms (tested by validating both those sets without gmax). Shuckle's set is illegal because baton pass is banned.

Figures the suspect test starts right after I have to put my computer up for two weeks. I should get a laptop.

I don't like Regenerator; I don't like mechanics that reward a player for a bare minimum input. U-turn is a brainless almost-risk-free play. You deal damage, heal damage, and almost certainly gain momentum. Teleport gives up inflicting damage and risks a possible hit (and this is Inheritance, where dreams come true and the right coverage move is completely capable of smoking something like Blissey from 70%), but since Regenerators can be played so aggressively and thanks to its -6 priority, Teleport is guaranteed momentum. I'm sure most of us have dealt with Teleport Regen shenanigans in standard tiers.

Sheer Force is less of an issue than the many fast and powerful Pokemon we have. Zeraora was such a big problem because it was faster than everything, so it almost always threatened a KO when it switched in. Now Dragapult is the fastest common Pokemon (more like Ninjackass), but it's more trouble with Dragalge, who offers nuclear Dragon STAB as well as pivoting, or any of the many Poltergeist donors. Jolteon hits harder than Dragapult and gets STAB on half of BoltBeam but it's a bad meme because it doesn't have an unfair speed tier and better defensive typing. Gengar and Chandelure do hit very hard but they either choose between being speed control or getting speed control'd. If they're Life Orb, they're at worst revenged easily; barring hard stall (which carries Blissey who always beats anything without Superpower or Close Combat and the Attack to use it), every team in Inh has some speed control, often in the form of Dragapult. If they're Scarf they can't break and locking themselves into an immunity is a death knell in Inh.

tl;dr Regen promotes unskillful play, but I don't know if I'd call it broken, though I wouldn't mind seeing it go. Dragapult is a bigger problem than Sheer Force, it's only enabling Pokemon that genuinely have the stats to abuse it, and most of them are problematic on their own with other kits. Laddering is an ass, but unless there's a big metagame shift before the end of the test I'll likely vote to keep SF, and I'm undecided on Regen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)