Inferior to Serperior?: A Theoretical Analysis

Ever since the competitive Pokemon community had caught wind of the new Dream World abilities, there has been tons and tons of hype surrounding them; Sheer Force Feraligatr, Shadow Tag Chandelure, and Solar Power Charizard are all notable examples. However, there was always one ability considered an oddity in the Dream World scene, this being Contrary. Contrary essentially flips the effects of stat modifiers exclusively for the user, meaning that an effect that would otherwise drop a user's stat would instead increase it by the same amount instead, and vice versa.

Contrary is without a doubt the DW Elephant in the room. Its only two released users, Spinda and Shuckle, are either too weak or too gimmicky to abuse it to its full effect, respectively. Spinda can run a set with Superpower, but is too slow to make full use of it. Shuckle can attempt to run it with Shell Smash, but it's still Taunt bait. However, Contrary has a savior, and its name is Serperior (and his sidekick, Servine).

With an excellent defensive stat spread, one wonders why either of these two should stray from running an effective Sub-seed or Sub-boost set; the answer, is the combination of Leaf Storm and Contrary. Leaf Storm, already hitting at 140 BP plus STAB, gains an additional boost with Contrary, allowing it to increase either user's Special Attack by TWO WHOLE STAGES. Now, not only does it make either user hit like a cargo train, it acts as a makeshift Nasty Plot, essentially making them deadly offensive threats to anything that can't outspeed or revenge kill them (and even that's unlikely due to their above-average bulk).

However, it's not worth listing their pros if you don't know their cons. First of all, both Servine and Serperior have terrible coverage, the former even more so. Only limited to Grass and Dragon, neither will be gaining much KOs on resisted switch-ins if they don't get a few LS boosts in first. Grass in itself is a horrible offensive typing, being resisted by a plethora of common types such as Poison, Flying, Steel, and to a lesser extent Dragons such as Altaria. This makes it extremely hard to set up Leaf Storm boosts when some of the fastest Pokemon in the tier are Flying types, the most notable being Scarfed Rotom-F and Swellow.

It goes without saying that Serperior will be a top offensive threat during its time in the lower tiers, so why am I including Servine? Worse than Serperior, most would conclude that he should remain NFE. This is where the speculation comes in; the worst case scenario is that Serperior, now adding terrifying offensive prowess to its versatile resume, will likely move up to a higher tier that's better suited to handle it. If this is the case, Servine will steal its niche of being the only viable Contrary user in the tier. We're all aware that Serperior can do some heavy damage, so I thought it would be a good idea to focus on his little brother and how, if at all, he will impact the metagame.

SERVINE
Traits: Overgrow / Contrary
60 / 60 / 75 / 60 / 75 / 83

Servine @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Contrary
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Light Screen / Reflect
- Toxic

Servine's base stats may not look like much at first, but the exclusive combination of Leaf Storm + Contrary makes it a unique sweeper that can dent many things after 1-2 boosts. The main idea of the Scarf set is to revenge kill, coming in on the cadaver of a fallen comrade and finishing off its weakened opponent with Leaf Storm. While the Leaf Storm is extremely powerful after a revenge kill, it's not without its checks; Regice, Charizard, Altaria, and Amoonguss can switch in with impunity and often KO back with a STAB move. Light Screen/Reflect and Toxic are mainly filler, the former allowing Servine to possibly tank a deadly attack and the latter being able to slap a timer on a cocky Special Wall or stray Sweeper. HP Fire is there to inflict damage on predicted Grass-type switches.

Servine @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 128 SDef / 4 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Leaf Storm
- Synthesis

Servine can also function well as a SubSeeder, similar to its older cousin. The idea here is to switch in on a resisted attack or a dead teammate, set up Seeds/Sub, and go to town with Leaf Storm. Synthesis is there because it's instant recovery. The set itself is otherwise self-explanatory.

So there you have it, an analysis on a Pokemon that isn't even released yet! The sets posted are mostly theorymonning, though the Scarf set has been tested in personal DW NU battles hosted on PO with success. I really look forward to having people discuss the possible viability of Servine in future NU, as it's personally one of my favorite Pokemon this generation.

(Also my first time writing an analysis on a Pokemon. I've been in NU for about 5 months now so I hope my facts are straight!)

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm just going to step in here and clarify quickly that this is the wrong place to be posting a full analysis, but rather that this is simply a discussion forum for NU. That said, Serperior is one of the few remaining Pokemon that hasn't yet had its DW ability released, and is probably unanimously going to be the most, uh, popular subject when it does finally get released, simply because Contrary Leaf Storm is so incredible.

Feel free to use this thread to discuss what you think the aftereffects of Serperior's release will be. What will people have to do to combat it? Will any offensive threats become obsolete, or will some magnify in ability and usefulness? How will you go about handling the monster that is Contrary Serperior?

Don't cry for bans when it's not even released, please. This is just to spike discussion!

I'm just going to step in here and clarify quickly that this is the wrong place to be posting a full analysis, but rather that this is simply a discussion forum for NU. That said, Serperior is one of the few remaining Pokemon that hasn't yet had its DW ability released, and is probably unanimously going to be the most, uh, popular subject when it does finally get released, simply because Contrary Leaf Storm is so incredible.
The post itself wasn't supposed to be an actual site-level analysis, I find it more akin to me just wanting to express how well Servine could fit into the metagame. Serperior is definitely going to be a more controversial topic in the future, but I suppose it'll be kind of funny seeing how overkill he is in NU before a tier shift/ban/human sacrifice takes place. His Leaf Storm is the biggest.

Meltra

formerly Himanattsu
As if it wasn't popular enough already, I can see Sap Sipper users boom in popularity once this is released. Miltank, Sawsbuck and Zebstrika will all get the recognition that they deserve, once it it released. Even max / max variants are relatively weak, and without the boost, Servine can't hope to break any of these Sap Sipper mons. Poison-types are reliable checks--Amoonguss can take LS with impunity and can Clear Smog / Spore / Sludge Bomb, and Garbodor can retaliate with a powerful Gunk Shot (perhaps Offensive Spiking variants will get more usage?). Unless it uses HP Psychic, which stunts its coverage considerably, I can't see it getting by Poison- types. That is what can wall it well. Most of the Steel- types in the tier are neutral to LS, and they won't appreciate taking repeated LSs.

Offensively and defensively, pure Grass- is a terrible typing. It's crippling weaknesses to Fire-, Flying-, and Bug- type moves really hinder its defensive prowess, so it goes without saying that it won't like taking SE moves. Swellow, Emboar, Braviary, Butterfree, Mothim, and Swellow takes diddly from all of its attacks, and they can either set up on, or outright OHKO it.

As was already pointed out, serperior will become pretty overcentralising, but it won't be unstoppable. There are plenty of things that will be able to stop it. Amoonguss won't take jack from his attacks, but if he ends up in a higher tier, vileplume will be able to act similarly. Also, there are pokemon that can outspeed it pretty easily. The likes of swoobat, cinccino, swellow, zebstrika, and sneasel could see extra usage, as they can all outspeed serp and hit hard in return. Zeb gets a special mention because it also has sap sipper, and serp can't touch most sap sipper mons. Scarfed Uturners could also see a bit of a spike, because they can easily break a sub or do a ton of damage to serp, and give you the advantage in switching into another guy, whether in a Uturn core or if you just have another poke to hit it. I say this assuming one would be running a set of sub/seed/LS/HP rock/fire/ice. Servine struggles from the same issues, plus the added fact it only has base 60 spA. The only thing servine has over perior is access to eviolite, and the fact he likely wont move up tiers once contrary is released.

And contrary spinda and shuckle are the way to go. spindapocalypse

I remember playing DW OU over at the PO Server in early BW, before Serperior got dragon pulse, I remember running set with Substitute/Leaf Storm/ Glare/ HP Fire or Ice

Glare was especially useful against Sap Sippers or pokemon that resisted Leaf Storm that could possibly Revenge me because once I Paralysed their Counters/ Checks, there was a good chance I could 2hko with Leaf Strom with some prior damage, especially after the nasty plot boost. While the Sap Sippers like Sawsbuck, Zebstrika and Miltank were Crippled. Bouffalant didn't really care having a low speed tier but there's no Bouffalant in NU.

I guess the only pokemon that wouldn't mind switching into a leaf storm or glare would be Guts Swellow after being status by Toxic Orb or max/max Sp-Def Miltank with Sap Sipper, Milk Drink and Heal bell, tank those hits and heal off paralysis all day and hitting back with body slam with a chance to paralyse you back.

Although Servine doesn't get Dragon Pulse, all it needs is Hidden Power Rock for neutral coverage against everything in the tier bar pure steels like Klang and could still run a set with glare to paralyse it's checks and counters. Giga Drain is also a viable option after a Leaf Storm's nasty plot boost, allowing you to still deal the damage while healing the user especially since servine loses leftovers when running eviolite allowing servine to continue offensive pressure without requiring to heal by regular means with synthesis.

Would Servine have 4MSS?

A set with Leaf Strom / HP - Rock / Glare / Substitute or Giga drain

Other possible options are leech seed, possibly twister but it best together with HP - Fire allowing you to hit everything but it's low base power of 40 even after a nasty plot boost won't be enough to take down Altaria.

here's an idea Serperior or Servine paired with shadow tag Gothorita. Amonguss and Vileplume make have seconds thought switching in, in case of a predicted double switch.

Glare was especially useful against Sap Sippers or pokemon that resisted Leaf Storm that could possibly Revenge me because once I Paralysed their Counters/ Checks, there was a good chance I could 2hko with Leaf Strom with some prior damage, especially after the nasty plot boost. While the Sap Sippers like Sawsbuck, Zebstrika and Miltank were Crippled. Bouffalant didn't really care having a low speed tier but there's no Bouffalant in NU.

I guess the only pokemon that wouldn't mind switching into a leaf storm or glare would be Guts Swellow after being statused by Toxic Orb.

Although Servine doesn't get Dragon Pulse, all it needs is Hidden Power Rock for neutral coverage against everything in the tier bar pure steels like Klang and could still run a set with glare to paralyse it's checks and counters. Giga Drain is also a viable option after a Leaf Storm's nasty plot boost, allowing you to still deal the damage while healing the user especially since servine loses leftovers when running eviolite allowing servine to continue offensive pressure without requiring to heal by regular means with synthesis.

Would Servine have 4MSS?

A set with Leaf Strom / HP - Rock / Glare / Substitute or Giga drain

Other possible options are leech seed, possibly twister but it best together with HP - Fire allowing you to hit everything but it's low base power of 40 even after a nasty plot boost won't be enough to take down Altaria.

here's an idea Serperior or Servine paired with shadow tag Gothorita. Amonguss and Vileplume make have seconds thought switching in, in case of a predicted double switch.
252SpAtk Choice Specs Serperior (+SAtk) Leaf Storm vs 4HP/0SpDef Swellow (Neutral): 85% - 101% (225 - 266 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 9% chance to OHKO.
252SpAtk Choice Specs +2 Serperior (+SAtk) Leaf Storm vs 4HP/0SpDef Swellow (Neutral): 150% - 177% (395 - 465 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.

252SpAtk Choice Scarf Serperior (+SAtk) Leaf Storm vs 4HP/0SpDef Swellow (Neutral): 57% - 67% (151 - 178 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
252SpAtk Choice Scarf +2 Serperior (+SAtk) Leaf Storm vs 4HP/0SpDef Swellow (Neutral): 114% - 135% (301 - 355 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.

As you can see, Serperior handles its resists better than most Sweepers in the tier, with the Scarf set notably outspeeding+2HKO'ing Swellow and ending up with a +4 modifier. This is only further bolstered by hazards, which make eliminating its counters even more of a cakewalk. If a switch-in takes over 35% from its Leaf Storm, you can almost guarantee that it'll be 2HKO'd as the damage is doubled next turn.

Servine is a similar case, with the Scarf set outspeeding and killing Swellow as well:

252SpAtk Choice Scarf +2 Servine (+SAtk) Leaf Storm vs 4HP/0SpDef Swellow (Neutral): 101% - 119% (265 - 312 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.

So switching in Swellow is an awful terrible idea as you're just giving the two more LS boosts to sweep the rest of your team with. If you're running that Leaf Storm/Glare set then Swellow is a fine counter, but I usually prefer a scarf set in most cases as you outspeed a lot of things without wasting a turn, and most of the time all you really need is Leaf Storm to do some heavy damage.

The Sap Sippers really hurt their chances of pulling off a sweep. For this reason, Misdreavus and Haunter are beginning to sound like really good teammates. With immunities to Miltank/Sawsbuck Normal STABS, as well as resistance to Sawsbuck's Megahorn, they can easily aid either of the snakes in a full sweep with the right amount of prediction.

With your HP Rock suggestion, I don't think foregoing a better HP such as Fire simply for neutral coverage is a good thing. It misses out on hitting Grass + Steels for super effective damage, which seriously cripples its effectiveness. Most of the time it doesn't even need coverage, as Leaf Storm still dents things that are 2x resistant to it. The only hard counters are the ones that at least 4x resist Leaf Storm or a Sap Sipper.

Meltra

formerly Himanattsu
With your HP Rock suggestion, I don't think foregoing a better HP such as Fire simply for neutral coverage is a good thing. It misses out on hitting Grass + Steels for super effective damage, which seriously cripples its effectiveness. Most of the time it doesn't even need coverage, as Leaf Storm still dents things that are 2x resistant to it. The only hard counters are the ones that at least 4x resist Leaf Storm or a Sap Sipper.
HP Psychic doesn't sound like a bad idea. Most of the Grass- types that you want to hit, mainly Amoonguss and Vileplume, are hit SE by it. Poison- types such as Garbodor and Haunter will have to think twice when switching into a +2 HP Psychic. In addition, the most prominent Steel- types in the tier cannot take repeated Leaf Storms. Probopass and Bastiodon take neutral damage from it, and the only thing that those walls can do back is Volt Switch / Roar, respectively.

However, with HP Psychic, or any HP on Servine for that matter, you are hitting for paltry damage without a +2 boost. I suggest a set that encompasses bulky offense, as opposed to Choice / SubSeeding sets.

Servine @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Psychic]
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed / Glare / Knock Off / Light Screen / Mirror Coat / Reflect / Taunt / Toxic

Eviolite gives Servine 323 / 279 / 279 defensive stats, and it's bulk is further complimented by Synthesis. You hit a considerably high Special Attack stat of 480 after a Leaf Storm. Servine's bulk allows it to take a hit, and it can either Synthesis, Leaf Storm, or HP. There are many options for the last slot, as it is mainly a filler, but Glare and Taunt stand out to me. Glare can cripple a faster sweeper, whereas Taunt can prevent Amoonguss from putting you asleep.

I have been championing HP Psychic Servine for weeks now on IRC much to the chagrin of most of the communtity, but I think it's fairly legit.

Considering Leaf Storm beats the majority of the tier you have no safe switch ins with HP Psychic with the exception of Altaria, who other than that no one has really given me any other reason to use HP Ice. There are no flyers in the tier that either

A: Don't lose to Leaf Storm on the switch

AND/or

B: KO Servine regardless of the HP it's using. Even HP Ice does not 2HKO Sub Bulk up Braviary on the switch after rocks with a combination of Leaf Storm + HP Ice, and any CB variant will simply outspeed and KO you.

252 SpAtk Servine (+SpAtk) Leaf Storm vs 252 HP/252 SpDef Braviary (+SpDef) : 16.34% - 19.31% (8-10 hits to KO)

252 +2 SpAtk Servine (+SpAtk) Hidden Power Ice vs 252 HP/252 SpDef Braviary (+SpDef) : 44.06% - 51.98% (3 hits to KO)

As you can see that's a max of 70 damage not including Lefties recovery. So Servine cannot beat this Braviary regardless without crit.

The only other thing that "walls" this is the standard 252/252 Relaxed Tropius. But Servine doesnt even need HP Ice to beat it, as it can take two Air Slashes at full health with 0 HP investment and KOs and gets to +6 with Leaf Storm.

There are also no grass types in the tier that require HP Ice, as they are all obliterated by STAB Leaf Storm even with resists, and generally can do nothing back.

252 SpAtk Servine (+SpAtk) Leaf Storm vs 0 HP/0 SpDef Cacturne: 40.93% - 48.4% (3 hits to KO)

252 Atk Cacturne (+Atk) Sucker Punch vs 0 HP/0 Def Eviolite Servine: 42.53% - 50.57% (2-3 hits to KO)

252 SpAtk Servine (+SpAtk) Leaf Storm vs 252 HP/0 SpDef Eviolite Tangela: 31.14% - 36.83% (3-4 hits to KO)

252 +2 SpAtk Servine (+SpAtk) Leaf Storm vs 252 HP/0 SpDef Eviolite Tangela: 61.98% - 73.05% (2 hits to KO))

252 SpAtk Servine (+SpAtk) Leaf Storm vs 252 HP/0 SpDef Torterra: 44.92% - 52.79% (2-3 hits to KO)

252 +2 SpAtk Servine (+SpAtk) Leaf Storm vs 252 HP/0 SpDef Torterra: 89.09% - 105.08% (31.25% chance to OHKO)

252 SpAtk Servine (+SpAtk) Leaf Storm vs 4 HP/0 SpDef Exeggutor: 32.83% - 38.86% (3-4 hits to KO)

252 +2 SpAtk Servine (+SpAtk) Leaf Storm vs 4 HP/0 SpDef Exeggutor: 65.36% - 77.11% (2 hits to KO)

Double resists like Amoonguss and Vileplume and other threats are disposed of by SE HP Psychic.

On the contrary.

Servine actually loses to a lot of bulky poison types that can either cripple it with a status moves or KO it outright.

Servine absolutely cannot beat Curse Muk on the switch without HP Psychic, with it's nice bulk, 0HP Servine can live one Poison Jab(even after SR) from Muk and use it to get to +4 where it can KO with HP Psychic.
252 SpAtk Servine (+SpAtk) Leaf Storm vs 252 HP/252 SpDef Muk (+SpDef) : 13.29% - 15.94% (10-14 hits to KO)

252 +2 SpAtk Servine (+SpAtk) Leaf Storm vs 252 HP/252 SpDef Muk (+SpDef) : 26.57% - 31.4% (4-5 hits to KO)

252 +4 SpAtk Servine (+SpAtk) Hidden Power Psychic vs 252 HP/252 SpDef Muk (+SpDef) : 53.62% - 63.29% (2 hits to KO)

Needs SR of course to achieve this however but since SR is assumed, it's not problem for Servine.

It also guarantees a 2HKO against standard Weezing, who cannot proceed to Clear Smog or WoW you and ruin your sweep.

252 +2 SpAtk Servine (+SpAtk) Hidden Power Psychic vs 252 HP/0 SpDef Weezing: 82.04% - 97.01% (2 hits to KO)

Also has guaranteed chance to KO Garbodor after SRs who again could threaten with Clear Smog. KOs Offensive Garbo without rocks if Serverine is using max speed, as it's faster than Adamant Garbodor and can even OHKO it outright after rocks if Garbo comes in attempting to revenge kill.

252 SpAtk Servine (+SpAtk) Leaf Storm vs 252 HP/0 SpDef Garbodor: 24.73% - 29.4% (4-5 hits to KO)

252 +2 SpAtk Servine (+SpAtk) Hidden Power Psychic vs 252 HP/0 SpDef Garbodor: 66.48% - 78.57% (2 hits to KO)

252 +2 SpAtk Servine (+SpAtk) Hidden Power Psychic vs 0 HP/0 SpDef Garbodor: 80.4% - 95.02% (2 hits to KO)

Most importantly IMO, it allows you to 2HKO standard 208 HP Emboar on the switch, assuming you are either creeping it or maxing speed... who not only counters you with HP Ice, but then proceeds to threaten you and hit you hard on the switch. As Emboar is one of the most popular and dangerous mons in the tier, this is obviously very important.

252 SpAtk Servine (+SpAtk) Leaf Storm vs 208 HP/0 SpDef Emboar: 26.39% - 31.23% (4-5 hits to KO)

252 +2 SpAtk Servine (+SpAtk) Hidden Power Psychic vs 208 HP/0 SpDef Emboar: 70.7% - 83.29% (2 hits to KO)

So basically, the only real reason to use HP Ice from what I see is to hit Altaria, who in fairness does wall you completely and will be one of your only real hard counters. However With HP Ice you get threatened and outright beaten by a large amount of popular poison types and Emboar, a consistent top 5 usage mon.

^ How much does Servine do to eviolite Klang?

Nevermind I'll do the calculations.

Max SpA Leaf Storm with timid nature vs Uninvested Klang with eviolite = 20.7% - 24.1%
Max SpA +2 Leaf Storm with timid nature vs Uninvested Klang with eviolite = 40.6% - 48.3%
Max SpA +4 Leaf Storm with timid nature vs Uninvested Klang with eviolite = 61.3% - 72.4%

Another check besides Altaria I guess but I doubt Klang can do much damage back to Eviolite Servine except maybe paralyse it with thunder wave, wait let me check the calculations.

Max Attack Adamant Klang using Gear Grind vs uninvested Servine with eviolite = 42.1% - 50.6%
Max Attack Adamant +1 Klang using Gear Grind vs uninvested Servine with eviolite = 64.4% - 75.9%

hmmm not good enough unless Servine has prior damage but it makes an OK check I guess

I played around with the EVs on Klang and I ended up with this.

Klang
Item: Eviolite
Nature: adamant
EVs: 252 HP / 208 SpD / 40 Speed / 8 Att

This speard allows klang to never be 3hko by servine's leaf storm bar a crit after Stealth rocks.

Max SpA Leaf Storm with timid nature vs 252 HP 208 SpD Klang with eviolite = 13% - 15.7%
Max SpA +2 Leaf Storm with timid nature vs 252 HP 208 SpD Klang with eviolite = 26.2% - 31.2%
Max SpA +4 Leaf Storm with timid nature vs 252 HP 208 SpD Klang with eviolite = 39.2% - 46.3%

15.7 + 31.2 + 46.3 = 93.2% add on stelath rocks it maximises out at 99.2%. This is assuming servine rolls maximum damage 3 times in a row

The 40 Evs in Speed allows klang to outspeed max timid Servine after one shift gear.

The damage output after one shift gear is sadly 48.3% - 57.5%, which is a 2hko after rocks with a strong chance of 2hKO-ing without rocks, there's a small chance you won't 2hko servine if you roll low damage counter 2 times in a row or shift gear misses.

Klang is probably better off carrying thunder wave to cripple servine making it easier to revenge, any sets running substitute, klang can easily break with shift gear.

but if you force klang to run this set, it won't be as good as it should be and needs a 2nd shift gear in order to properly sweep.

The best set would probably be max attack, max speed with jolly or adamant nature running shift gear, gear grind, frustration/wild charge and thunder wave, what a waste of time, i hope my calculations aren't wrong.

Servine has little reason to use Timid and the drop in power will make it checked by much more things than just Klang...who it otherwise easily 2HKOs with Modest Leaf Storm.

Nice thread cuckoos, although I probably wouldn't use the Choice Scarf set that is in the OP; the defense boost from Eviolite is just too good to pass up.

Contrary Servine will be excellent once it's released. 60 / 75 / 75 bulk with Eviolite is quite impressive, allowing Servine to easily tank attacks. The main flaw it will likely have is the fact that it can easily be taken down thanks to its numerous weaknesses. That 60 / 75 / 75 bulk is pretty impressive, but it's not enough to survive most decently strong super effective hits. It doesn't help that Pokemon such as Emboar and Braviary are common in NU. However, it will still be great just because Contrary Leaf Storm is so damn amazing. I can see Servine being at least a mid-tier threat.

This is the set I'd use:

Servine @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Psychic]
- Synthesis
- Glare

It acts as an effective paralysis spreader and bulky sweeper. Wobble provided good reasons why Hidden Power Psychic would be the optimal Hidden Power on Servine. Synthesis prevents Servine from being easy to ware down. I'd rather use Glare than Leech Seed when I already have Synthesis. A paralysis spreader that can get past Ground-types is pretty sweet and the Ghost-types that are immune to Glare are pretty easy to get rid of. I wonder if Servine will see use on some paralysis spreading teams (which are really awesome and I recommend that all of you try a paralysis spreading team); it has a cool niche of being both a paralysis spreader that can get past Ground-types and be able to sweep without giving up an important moveslot.

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
As a response to the set above I think that Hidden Power [Flying] might be the superior choice for a Hidden Power type on Servine. This still hits Amoonguss, Vileplume, Emboar etc super effectively while allowing Servine to also hit Cacturne in a pinch. Pokemon that resist HP Flying such as Rock-type and Steel-types are hit super effectively or in Probopass and Bastiodon's case, at least neutrally by Leaf Storm.

With only HP Psychic Pokemon such as Sap Sipper Sawsbuck will have no trouble against Servine. HP Psychic is a good option, but Flying should also be considered. Also definitely worth mentioning that (at least after being tested on PS) Glare works on Ghost-types.

EDIT: 4 HP Emboar is 2HKOed by Leaf Storm after SR, so HP Ice would actually be the better choice overall IMO Still hits Golbat, Altaria, and Grass-types including Sawsbuck. The set I would use on it would have to be:

Servine @ Eviolite
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Synthesis
- Glare

It's surprisingly powerful after a Leaf Storm and has an awesome speed tier that allows it to outspeed Timid/Jolly Ludicolo and Samurott. Recvoery with Synthesis is great thanks to its good defenses with Eviolite and the last slot is for utility. Glare apparently works on Ghost-types so that would be awesome for possible Haunter switch ins expecting to tank a Leaf Storm. Also great way to paralyze Sap Sippers such as Miltank, Zebstrika, and Sawsbuck. (Maybe Girafarig if that gets some love)

Servine has little reason to use Timid and the drop in power will make it checked by much more things than just Klang...who it otherwise easily 2HKOs with Modest Leaf Storm.
Unless you're gonna rely of glare or paralysis support, running modest means it will be revenge by a lot of pokemon with a base 72-82 speed with speed boosting nature.

Altaria
Braviary
Drifblim
Garbodor ( I've never used Garbodor at all so I don't know if it's commonly used with max speed)
Absol
Seismitoad

Possibly Monferno, Gabite and Arbok but they're really uncommon.

Not to mention all the slightly faster pokemon that run attack boosting natures.

83 Speed is pretty significant, on par with Magmotar which used to be a main threat to the tier before he moved up onto bigger and better things in RU

After that Leaf Storm Contrary boost Servine's Special attack with timid nature still jumps from 219 to 438. which is higher then Magmator's max modest special attack although most Magmator used to carry life orbs, but it's still pretty impressive.

Hidden Power Psychic a good idea, as long as you can keep the rocks up, which is pretty easy in the tier were rapid spinners are few and far between with many of the spin blockers in the tier being pretty common (looking at Golurk, Haunter and Misdrevus)

Because if you can't keep up he rocks, pokemon like Charizard, Parasect, Levanny and Butterfree and many other quad resist pokemon could check servine.

First of all, most of those pokemon either don't commonly run speed natures, or beat Servine anyway 1 on 1 at full health.

The entire point of Servine is to come in on something that you beat and 2HKO a huge portion of the tier.

It's similar to Zangoose in that aspect except it has a lot more sweeping potential at the cost of speed and power and reliability.

"Lots of things can revenge kill pokemon X, the problem is looking for counters".

Servine isn't fast and doesn't hit hard enough where Timid outspeeds key pokemon and the power drop nearly relegates it to gimmick status.

^ if It's a preference thing whether one should run either timid or modest based on your team, that I can agree with.

But I still believe timid is still warrented enough to run in order to beat Braviary (12th on last month's ladder) and Drifblim. Both capable of OHKO-ing eviolite servine with stab Bravebird or Flight Gem Stab Boosted Acrobatics. I haven't done the calculations but it sounds like something that should happen.

And then there's Absol, who may not outright OHKO Servine but I've almost always been at the wrong end of a critical hit thanks to Night Slash and Super luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)