In Game Tiering Threads List

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not everyone is gonna have $30 to shell out for DLC and in reality that’s post game. With Tundra coming up, I may consider tiering those in a separate list maybe. I’m unsure right now as I’m doing the first play test of many. Once the guidelines get refined, I’m hoping I can start a thread with them with the intent that the community here can further develop them and we can get a tier list for SwSh, but that’s a long ways away.
I’d recommend tiering them in a similar manner to how we tier third version exclusive stuff; the bill seems to fit. We even have Platinum as precedence for adding that large a percentage of Pokémon

I’d recommend tiering them in a similar manner to how we tier third version exclusive stuff; the bill seems to fit. We even have Platinum as precedence for adding that large a percentage of Pokémon
I’ll look into it. It’s a lot of work personally because of how much of a revamp it is compared to the old lists. I’m taking this kinda slow right now as I’ve got other projects that require my attention more than this.

edit: I found a Weather Chart that shows us when to change for specific weather we need that affects all wild area. I’m not sure if it has been patched out yet.
4B1D9501-8CF9-4F0F-921B-AE43A364AB22.jpeg

Last edited:
TRs can also be manipulated using the Date Exploit. Unless someone can confirm that was patched, I think 2 of the bigger issues can be resolved and tiering made easier. AFAIK, the TRs require a different manipulation than weather.

Does the Sw/Sh ingame tierlist thread even exist? It looks like the main issue is the wild area which can be completely ignored, so can't we just exclude wild area spawns and focus only on route spawns.

Anyway, I pretty sure Arcanine & Excadrill are easy picks for S-tier, especially in shield.

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
It doesn't because its ultimately pointless as I have imitated time and time again.

I'm not sure why anyone is putting any serious thought into it. You would have to have 300 caveats to the list before you could even attempt to start grading things and that ultimately takes away from the experience.

Besides, I’m fairly certain that S- and A- tier would be bloated with most if not all available Stone Evos, especially after getting the Rotom Bike and subsequently a fairly trivial way to accumulate Watts (unless you feel lucky and have a ton of Armorite Ore for Digging Pa).

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Besides, I’m fairly certain that S- and A- tier would be bloated with most if not all available Stone Evos, especially after getting the Rotom Bike and subsequently a fairly trivial way to accumulate Watts (unless you feel lucky and have a ton of Armorite Ore for Digging Pa).
I'd likely make Leafeon and Glaceon exceptions due to their restricted movepool, although their spectacularly early availability (earlier than first Gym for the record) is still very good availability for those who persisted, making them guaranteed upper C rank if not B rank for them being instantly powerful early route assets. Glaceon has to be especially notified as it would be by far the earliest Ice-type available in the game with the bonus of not relying on the time-based weather.

Before anyone asks, Eevee now only needs a Leaf Stone or an Ice Stone to evolve into Leafeon or Glaceon respectively, considering that the previous location-based evolutions aren't possible in SwSh. Charjabug also gets this treatment by being able to evolve into Vikavolt with a Thunder Stone. Their DLC pal, Magneton, can also do that with Thunder Stone (again) to become Magnezone.

This may come out of nowhere, but I have something on my mind and I want to share it. I think we should think about some sort of definition of done for these tier lists. You know, when is a tier list complete? It seems like we just test endlessly without an end goal in mind.

I think the RSE thread is a good example. It's an enormous thread that has been going on for years, and to my knowledge, it has never been truly dead either. So many testers have shared their opinions in that thread, so surely we can come to some kind of conclusion by now. The true goal of these tier list threads is to put them on the main Smogon website under guides, right? So why has there not been much effort to actually get on with that?

I bring this up because I have some interest in reviving the DPP thread, but I think that we need to actually finish up some currently active threads first.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
This may come out of nowhere, but I have something on my mind and I want to share it. I think we should think about some sort of definition of done for these tier lists. You know, when is a tier list complete? It seems like we just test endlessly without an end goal in mind.

I think the RSE thread is a good example. It's an enormous thread that has been going on for years, and to my knowledge, it has never been truly dead either. So many testers have shared their opinions in that thread, so surely we can come to some kind of conclusion by now. The true goal of these tier list threads is to put them on the main Smogon website under guides, right? So why has there not been much effort to actually get on with that?
To provide an example with our BW1 list, we established it as "done" once we had a test or two on more or less everything and then moved to write-ups and moved to in-game articles once we wrote up everything and QCed it. Obviously, BW1 was easier to get completed, because the Dex wasn't as big as in other games and some things were very easy to tier (cough most E-tiers and D-tiers).

How many tests each Pokemon needs obviously will vary per list and per each Pokemon, though, personally, the lower tiers could get away with like one test (just as much as to make sure they were not terribly misplaced), as those aren't of huge relevance. The higher tiers can definitely see more than one test, as those are more relevant for most readers and making sure they are placed correctly is, imo, somewhat essential

To provide an example with our BW1 list, we established it as "done" once we had a test or two on more or less everything and then moved to write-ups and moved to in-game articles once we wrote up everything and QCed it. Obviously, BW1 was easier to get completed, because the Dex wasn't as big as in other games and some things were very easy to tier (cough most E-tiers and D-tiers).

How many tests each Pokemon needs obviously will vary per list and per each Pokemon, though, personally, the lower tiers could get away with like one test (just as much as to make sure they were not terribly misplaced), as those aren't of huge relevance. The higher tiers can definitely see more than one test, as those are more relevant for most readers and making sure they are placed correctly is, imo, somewhat essential
This makes sense to me, and I fully agree with it. However, it's not really an answer to my question of: how do we decide when a tier list is actually finished? As you said, this is different for every game, depending on how big the dex is. So maybe we should determine a definition of done in the OP of each individual thread. To come back to the RSE thread as an example, I think most Pokemon have been tested at least twice now, so if that's how we decide when a list is done, it probably should be done by now. We still need someone to make the call though. You know, someone who says: "we've done enough testing now; we can move on to writing write-ups to put on the main site".

Does anyone else feel like this? I'm not sure if I'm getting the message accross.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I have generally left it to the will of the thread leader to decide on a "Done" marker to start up write ups and begin the process to a formal article for the site. They are the person in charge of the rankings and how the thread should be flowing, so it should be up to them to call an end point.

IGTLs are huge prospects for any users to complete, and I would never like to rush (Although I would definitely like to see them all completed) getting them finished for the sake of it. That being said, I would rather we had articles on the site and then looked back over time and see if things have changed. We did that with the BW1 list, as the original one was out of date and definitely needed touching up.

We were attempting to ratify some sort of process in this thread: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/in-game-tier-list-policy-discussion-thread.3616692/ but it is now likely out of date and we probably need to have another discussion and policy while also bringing up "rules" for thread completion metrics. I believe some of the current threads are a touch too in depth for what we honestly need. I am more than happy to recreate the above thread (By going through that one and creating some sort of Framework we can adjust) in order for us to come up with some more "objective based" finishing marks for the projects.

I definitely need to go through and update the OP of this thread for all the current projects and what's been completed/still ongoing.

Edit: Done that last line as of this morning.

Last edited:
There’s a stray end-bracket in the link for the B2W2 tier list which screws up the link. Just thought I’d let you know.

Also you might want to check up on some of these lists, there haven’t been updates for a while.

I'm only devising the SwSh Guidelines as a pet project. I don't expect it to even be a tierable game due to the Wild Area and the many other things regarding the game. Even with said guidelines, it would probably become the most restrictive game in terms of tiering. This is, of course, this list would even see the light of day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)