Gen 4 I'm on a mission to bring Eruption Heatran into the DPP OU metagame

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I don’t always post in more competitive forums, but when I do, I like to make them count. This will still only be the second time I’ve made an RMT, so I apologize in advance for anything that doesn’t appear perfectly organized. I’m posting this RMT in particular for the purpose of hopefully collecting more information to further develop this core I’ve designed into a team and/or team style that can succeed on the DPP OU ladder. Thanks for your help in advance, and let’s dive right into the squad.

The Team

:dp/bronzong: :dp/heatran: :dp/breloom: :dp/tyranitar: :dp/magnezone: :dp/clefable:

In its current state, this team is a bulky offensive Trick Room archetype designed to take advantage of DPP OU’s “Big Five” teams, those of which consist of Jirachi, Tyranitar, Latias, Clefable, and Skarmory. Frequently, Big Five archetype teams add in a bulky Ground-Type in the sixth team slot to round out their matchup spread. In my search to find a balance core that can contend with the members of the tier’s Big Five, I stumbled upon the idea of using an old gem that’s been lost to the history books of Past Gens Doubles formats. Buckle up, because this is going to be a long post.

:dp/bronzong:
Bronzong @ Macho Brace
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Explosion

This team needed a Trick Room setter just as much as it needed a proper win condition, and after over a month of comparing the Pokémon in DPP OU that learn the move, I settled in on Bronzong as both my Trick Room setter and as a potential anti-lead, hence its current team slot placement. The main draw for Bronzong as a Trick Room setter for this team was its better matchup against Tyranitar compared to other potential options like Celebi or Cresselia. The lack of a Bug-Type weakness for the purpose of U-Turn and immunity to sandstorm damage are nice bonuses too. The Pokémon Showdown team builder seems to agree with this decision, as no other recommended movesets for any Pokémon in the DPP OU threat list includes a Trick Room variant, not unlike what BW2 OU is seeing with Reuniclus as of late. Traditionally Trick Room Bronzong runs Gyro Ball, Earthquake, and Explosion as its three attacking moves, but Zen Headbutt can also be utilized to provide more reassurance against Fighting-Types in a strategy I’ll talk about with a later team member. As an added bonus, Zen Headbutt can also help Bronzong against a common ladder lead in Machamp if used in the lead slot, although this isn’t always reliable as Machamp can confuse you with DynamicPunch. If worried about this interaction, just use Zen Headbutt on Turn 1 instead of Trick Room to do as much damage as possible before switching out and saving both Bronzong and its Trick Room for later in the battle.

:dp/heatran:
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Eruption
- Earth Power
- Lava Plume
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Let me introduce the primary win condition and centerpiece of this team, a Pokémon only obtainable from a discontinued Wi-Fi event in 2010 from my favorite video game in history. I’ll save you guys the full story, but I’ve wanted to use this set for as long as I’ve been able to call myself a Pokémon fan since I didn’t have access to Nintendo WFC while this Heatran was still available. Over 12 years later, I’ve found a way for Pokémon Showdown to help me realize this wish. The cult classic Eruption Heatran was distributed with a guaranteed Quiet nature, which had players questioning how it was supposed to be used in multiplayer. That is, until some clever VGC 2010 players decided to pair it with Trick Room Cresselia sets and ended up breaking the metagame wide open. Together with a viable setter like Bronzong, Eruption Heatran is arguably my single most favorite set in the entirety of Pokémon and is an absolute ton of fun to practice with. The moveset I came up with is pretty simple- Eruption should be obvious, and Flamethrower gives Heatran a reliable Fire-Type move to click in scenarios where Eruption would do less damage. Lava Plume can be used in place of Flamethrower if you’re looking for a higher burn rate in place of some power, though. Earth Power is necessary type coverage against a number of targets and is by far Heatran’s best option against opposing Heatran. Finally, Hidden Power Grass hits specific targets that aren’t as afraid of Heatran’s other moves for super-effective damage, such as bulky Water-Types, although Hidden Power Ice can be used to potentially snipe Dragonite and Flygon switching in on the turn Trick Room runs out. The specific combination of nature, EVs, and Hidden Power IVs for both Grass and Ice gives this Heatran a Speed stat of 171 at Level 100, the knowledge of which may be helpful to know while Trick Room is active.

:dp/breloom:
Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Superpower
- Seed Bomb
- Mach Punch

Every good win condition needs a powerful offensive partner to help it deal with bad matchups. In Heatran’s case, its worst matchups are a combination of bulky Water-Types, bulky Ground-Types, although anything with Ground-Type coverage at all can potentially be a threat, and specially defensive Clefable who can get near-guaranteed Stealth Rock up and annoy Heatran in a number of other ways (although sometimes switching Heatran into a Thunder Wave can actually be a good thing, since it prevents Heatran from being put to sleep while simultaneously further lowering its Speed stat). Breloom’s role on this team is to provide necessary reassurance against the aforementioned Clefable as well as Swampert, Water Absorb Quagsire, most Tyranitar sets due to an interesting metagame flaw (mixed sets with Fire Blast don’t run Chople Berry due to needing Passho Berry for the bulky Water-Types that Steel-Type Fire Blast targets are usually paired with), and potentially even opposing Heatran depending on the situation. All three of Spore, Seed Bomb, and Mach Punch have their uses against those threats, with the fourth move slot being reserved either for Superpower for more Fighting-Type damage to push bulky neutral targets over the edge, or Stone Edge for Flying-Types such Gyarados, Zapdos, and all three of UUBL residents Strapator, Crobat, and Honchkrow, the first two of which cannot switch in while Trick Room is up.

:dp/tyranitar:
Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Choice Band Tyranitar is one of Breloom’s most consistently reliable partners in both low and high ladder, being the team’s main response to most variants of Latias, Azelf, Celebi, Rotom, as well as rarer choices in today’s metagame like Gengar and Cresselia. As one might expect, all of these matchups are easiest assuming Tyranitar’s target(s) aren’t running Colbur Berry. Breloom and the rest of the team already loves Tyanitar’s ability to Pursuit trap these threats as is, but there’s always that underlying possibility of Trick Room being up, enabling the usually slow Tyranitar to crush even more Pokémon with its choices of physical coverage moves. All three of Stone Edge, Superpower, and a Fire-Type move- even the non-Choice Band-boosted Fire Blast if you felt like it- are viable candidates for Tyranitar’s last two movesets after Pursuit and Crunch. If you don’t want to run Choice Band and/or two Dark-Type moves on the same set, a different held item can be selected with one of Tyranitar’s attacking move slots being opened up for Stealth Rock, which this team can struggle to set up otherwise.

:dp/magnezone:
Magnezone @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 32 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
- Magnet Rise
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunder Wave

Between Breloom, Tyranitar, and Magnezone, this team should have everything it needs to handle most staples of the Big Five DPP OU archetype. Magnezone in particular is the team’s best answer to Tier King Jirachi as well as the two Steel-Type Spikes setters being Skarmory and Forretress. I ended up choosing to use a Magnet Rise variant as my preferred Magnezone set, as the Choice sets didn’t allow Magnezone to switch moves and the Choice Scarf set in particular felt counter-intuitive to the usual goals of a bulky Trick Room team. Magnet Rise sets, on the other hand, can not only switch moves, but have an even easier time trapping Steel-Types that run any form of Ground-Type coverage. It’s extremely hard to pull off in practice, but Magnet Rise can also single-handedly flip the script on Gyarados that would have preferred to have been able to use Earthquake on Magnezone prior to switching out. With Magnet Rise active, Gyarados can still use a potentially boosted Waterfall to inflict solid damage, though, which is why I’m planning on replacing some of Magnezone’s usual Special Attack EV investment with more physical bulk, as STAB Thunderbolt and super-effective Hidden Powers can usually do enough damage against trapped targets anyways. One more thing before we move onto the last team member- if otherwise trapped Steel-Types happen to be Shed Shell against this Magnezone set, they can be dealt with by paralyzing them with one of the team’s two potential Thunder Wave users, which will then leave them vulnerable to Heatran’s Fire-Type moves since they won’t be holding Lum Berry and Shed Shell at the same time.

:dp/clefable:
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder Wave
- Knock Off
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled

An extremely unique Clefable set rounds out the rest of what this team needs, being one of two potential Stealth Rock setters alongside Tyranitar as well as one of two potential Thunder Wave users. Your choice of three of Soft-Boiled, Knock Off, Stealth Rock, and Thunder Wave will be taking up your first three move slots- but what about the fourth? This is where this set’s secret weapons come into play. In modern-day DPP OU, the status-immune Poison Heal Breloom can switch into and counter Clefable extremely easily, with similar feats being achievable by other Fighting-Types. Just when your opponent thought they could take advantage of Clefable’s passivity, they’ll be shocked to learn it’s actually holding a Chople Berry and that just like that their Breloom just got eviscerated by a four-times super-effective Hidden Power Flying. As hinted earlier, this strategy can also be used alongside Zen Headbutt Bronzong to beat Machamp leads, so long as the Turn 1 move selection as mentioned in Bronzong’s section is utilized properly.

(Post-playtest edit: With the given EV spread with 4 EVs in Special Attack, Hidden Power Flying still only connects for roughly 90% on -2 Sp. Def Infernape. As such, I've started experimenting with a more standard Clefable set that would offer the team more flexibility outside of the Fighting-Type matchups.)

Threats to the Team’s Success

:dp/rotom: (All forms)

If Tyranitar is defeated prior to Rotom’s appearance on the opponent’s team, Rotom can annoy the other members of this team depending on its form and if it is running one of its powerful special coverage moves. Overheat can deal big damage to Bronzong and Breloom, while Hydro Pump can deal a significant blow to Heatran. None of Bronzong, Tyranitar, or Breloom prior to its Toxic Orb activating appreciate switching to Will-o-Wisp, either.

:dp/machamp:

Machamp teams are this roster’s biggest weakness as far as team archetypes are concerned. The issue with Machamp isn’t so much with Machamp itself, so much as the fact that an opponent’s lead Machamp is going to be paired with five other Pokémon in the back during any significant high ladder or tournament game. Having to trade this team’s Trick Room setter and possibly Clefable for the opponent’s lead generally isn’t a good thing, and may require further team optimizations compared to battling against other leads. Nothing on this team really enjoys taking a DynamicPunch, either.

:dp/gliscor:

During the time in which this thread was previously locked, I ran into a hyper offense team on the low ladder that had a Swords Dance Gliscor in the back behind a mirror Bronzong lead, if I'm remembering things correctly. It was at that moment when I just kind of sat there and realized... in its current state, this team just doesn't have a reliable Gliscor check. While in theory I could switch Heatran over to Hidden Power Ice for this matchup, in practice this only works while Trick Room is active, meaning Gliscor still wins that matchup the large majority of the time.

Dedicated PokéPaste link for easy team copying: https://pokepast.es/e2c31652b5c680cc

Last edited:

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Hey bdt I'll give you a quick rate:

I would go with Stealth Rock instead of Earthquake even though it helps you against Metagross and Heatran it's important to always set up hazards especially in Gen 4 OU.

Eruption Heatran is really cool, I've researched it before and you can only have a specific nature in order to run Eruption Heatran because it was from an event, but this set works because you're not missing out on the nature issue [since trickroom]. (It not being Timid / Modest or what not)

Breloom is important here because it's one of your forms of speed check, I wouldn't change anything regarding the set. I do fear this team needs some sort of speed check aside from Breloom because Trick Room is only set for 4 turns. Tyranitar is fine here I think it melds with the team quite well and in combination with its hard hitting attack, it provides solid Special Defensive bulk. I feel Magnezone could get replaced here because I do think Jirachi can be handled by Heatran so Magnezone isn't needed and if you fear Skarmory Heatran can also scare it away. What I do see to be an issue with this team is some form of hazard removal. Starmie might be a good replacement here because of it having 361 speed as a decent Pokémon to take on Dragon Dancers such as Gyarados and Dragonite if needed. I wouldn't call this necessarily a trick room team because I think you need another setter, Cresselia could work on this slot if you want to make it true Trick Room but if you want to have it Pseudo Trick room I would go with this Starmie set:

:starmie:
Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Recover

Clefable works really well here so I wouldn't change anything else regarding the set.

Fantastic team and thank you for posting (Wishing you the best of luck).

Wanted to give this a rate as I feel Eruption Heatran has been making a comeback since this replay from last year's SPL finals https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4ou-615916. Eruption tran was largely unused at the tournament level until then as it had mainly been used on styles very similar to what you have here: tr offense. Tr offense is a struggle in dpp: there's been some recent high level tour games (including me getting my ass kicked by it here: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4ou-644997 and in this game (team built by oiponabys): https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4ou-663551).

I have quite a few issues with this team. The problem w eruption tran on this type of team is that you either sorely miss the power of specs or you eventually brick into some offensive threat (like heatran, suicune, or tar) and defensive latias ruins your day -- your tr runs out and tran takes too many hits/hazard damage to blast through stuff again. Against offense, you have to expend a lot of resources to get tr back up again (esp since your only setter is zong and tar loves to use it too). Against defensive teams, you have no way to mitigate hazards, so eventually tran/cb tar will take too much damage to break through stuff. While you have a ton of threats to stall (loom + tran is excellent, you have zone to trap skarm and tar to trap lati. tran/loom/tar heavily threaten shed skarm and clef is here), they dont particularly vibe well to survive against any sort of offense, even those seen on stall teams. You really struggle against any type of gyarados/dragonite, esp since you also dont have stealth rock, which is mandatory on any viable dpp team. You also are not supporting your team especially well: clef is very out of place (esp w twave), and while zone is too, it is usable alongside tr bronzong and cb tar.

I think we need to start somewhere here and pick which style you'd like to use. I'll include a way I think tr offense can work w tran at the bottom, but if you're ok with this, i am just gonna go from scratch and start over again, as I think there's too many holes in this team as structured w tran to live against offense even if you fixed all the issues I mentioned above. So let's start w tran. I have an in progress blurb about choice specs eruption tran here. I think Tran should be this:

:heatran:
move 1: Eruption
move 2: Flamethrower
move 3: Dragon Pulse
move 4: Hidden Power Grass
item: Choice Specs
ability: Flash Fire
nature: Quiet
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

While some people have had success with non Specs tran as a lead for spikeless offense, I think for this kind of team, just start w this. Even with a speed reducing nature it still hits 227, enough to outspeed neutral tar and most defensive pokemon.

On spikeless offense, eruption tran really appreciates back up against dragon dance sweepers that outspeed, survive one hit, either ohko or set up and wants to get in the field early before hazards are up, but not lead, bc itll too often take a hit before it can fire off. As such, you need a good lead and a good revenge killer. Loom is an excellent lead to start things off

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Superpower
- Seed Bomb
- Stun Spore

Le Don described the power of this core here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/dpp-ou-cores-little-synergies-mk-ii.3686114/post-9321529

With that, now we need to cover for tran. There are a few ways to do this: you can run a scarfed revenge killer such as rotom-w or latias. You also can use a gyarados, which with stone edge and intimidate, can cover for you. You can honestly do both, which is what id recommend. Another synergetic way is to use sd + pursuit scizor which also can trap latias. Both gyarados and rotom-w help you out against machamp and gliscor. Here are the sets I'd recommend.

Gyarados @ Wacan Berry
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Outrage

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Both of these potentially can run twave (gyara too, although you might need to restructure to fit it). para helps tran's eruption more reliably 2hko stuff bc its now faster than the target.

From here, you need a stealth rock mon and something that absorb dragon moves, bc tran does not want to switch into them. deepbluec ran an empoleon to help with this, which i think works really well on the style:

Empoleon @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 220 SpA / 56 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off / Grass Knot

spread lives zone's tbolt w as much spa as you can. This also helps with dd mons, as empo can live a +1 hit after it gets rocks up and torrent hpump hammers tar. Another option is scizor and you throw rocks on something like swampert to help w dd tar

Lastly, I think you need something that appreciates the holes specs tran puts in opposing defensive teams and potentially something that can lure in switch in opportunities for heatran. While gyara and even scarf rotom and empo certainly appreciate it, if you could fit another answer to dd tar, that would probably help too. im not quite sure that this will work, but offensive calm mind suicune could be a cool option:

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Electric

as a back up help against spikeless offense and appreciates the pressure your team puts on defensive stuff. SD Sciz is also nice

Here is something I came up with for the style you originally had. I havent tested this, but this could work: https://pokepast.es/65720fab2fd03cb6

Uxie gives you a rocks user and backs you up against fighters

zong stays as is. think its pretty effective as an offensive support here

tran should prob use flamethrower > lava plume, but i could see plume. I made it faster than clef so you can erupt out of tr and 2hko it.

cress gives you an additional tr supporter. You have a free moveslot so trick scarf gives you a serviceable revenge killer (hits faster than dd tar so you can trick it and destroy it with champ, dnite dies to ice beam, you live any gyara hit) and then set up tr. can also ld to heal up champ/tran/dnite

dnite is devastating against stall teams w tran back up. also gives you a water resist (you must be careful against rain teams, they can eat you alive)

Machamp w tr support eats alive not only offense, but stall as well. tran is very useful to switch into rotom wow.

These changes dont really solve your rotom issues, but hopefully, your offense is enough to blast through it. tran can hold defensive rotom off for a bit. offensive rotom hates dealing w machamp/zong. you could potentially use payback on zong, but i dont think its worth it.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Wanted to give this a rate as I feel Eruption Heatran has been making a comeback since this replay from last year's SPL finals https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4ou-615916. Eruption tran was largely unused at the tournament until then as it had mainly been used on styles very similar to what you have here: tr offense. Tr offense is a struggle in dpp: there's been some recent high level tour games (including me getting my ass kicked by it here: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4ou-644997 and in this game (team built by oiponabys): https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4ou-663551).

I have quite a few issues with this team. The problem w eruption tran on this type of team is that you either sorely miss the power of specs or you eventually brick into some offensive threat (like heatran, suicune, or tar) or defensive latias ruins your day -- your tr runs out and tran takes too many hits/hazard damage to blast through stuff again. Against offense, you have to expend a lot of resources to get tr back up (esp since your only setter is zong and tar loves to use it too). Against defensive teams, you have no way to mitigate hazards, so eventually tran will take too much damage to break through stuff. While you have a ton of threats to stall (loom + tran is excellent, you have zone to trap skarm and tar to trap lati. tran/loom/tar heavily threaten shed skarm and clef is here), they dont particularly vibe well to survive against any sort of offense, even those seen on stall teams. You really struggle against any type of gyarados/dragonite, esp since you also dont have stealth rock, which is mandatory on any viable dpp team. You also are not supporting your team especially well: clef is very out of place (esp w twave), and while zone is too, it is usable alongside tr bronzong and cb tar.

I think we need to start somewhere here and pick which style you'd like to use. I'll include a way I think tr offense can work w tran at the bottom, but if you're ok with this, i am just gonna start from scratch and start over again, as I think there's too many holes in this team as structured w tran to live against offense even if you fixed all the issues I mentioned above. So let's start w tran. I have an in progress blurb about choice specs eruption tran here. I think Tran should be this:

:heatran:
move 1: Eruption
move 2: Flamethrower
move 3: Dragon Pulse
move 4: Hidden Power Grass
item: Choice Specs
ability: Flash Fire
nature: Quiet
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

While some people have had success with non Specs tran as a lead for spikeless offense, I think for this kind of team, just start w this. Even with a speed reducing nature it still hits 227, enough to outspeed neutral tar and most defensive pokemon.

On spikeless offense, eruption tran really appreciates back up against dragon dance sweepers that outspeed, survive one hit, either ohko or set up and wants to get in the field early before hazards are up, but not lead, bc itll too often take a hit before it can fire off. As such, you need a good lead and a good revenge killer. Loom is an excellent lead to start things off

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Effect Spore
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Superpower
- Seed Bomb
- Stun Spore

Le Don described the power of this core here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/dpp-ou-cores-little-synergies-mk-ii.3686114/post-9321529

With that, now we need to cover for tran. There are a few ways to do this: you can run a scarfed revenge killer such as rotom-w or latias. You also can use a gyarados, which with stone edge and intimidate, can cover for you. You can honestly do both, which is what id recommend. Another synergetic way is to use sd + pursuit scizor which also can trap latias. Both gyarados and rotom-w help you out against machamp and gliscor. Here are the sets I'd recommend.

Gyarados @ Wacan Berry
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Outrage

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power Ice
- Trick

Both of these potentially can run twave (gyara too, although you might need to restructure to fit it). para helps tran's eruption more reliably 2hko stuff bc its faster.

From here, you need a stealth rock mon and something that absorb dragon moves, bc tran does not want to switch into them. deepbluec ran an empoleon to help with this, which i think works really well on the style:

Empoleon @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 220 SpA / 56 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off / Grass Knot

This also helps with dd mons, as empo can live a hit after it gets rocks up and torrent hpump hammers tar. Another option is scizor and you throw rocks on something like swampert to help w dd tar

Lastly, I think you need something that appreciates the holes specs tran puts in opposing defensive teams and potentially something that can lure in switch in opportunities for heatran. While gyara and even scarf rotom and empo certainly appreciate it, if you could fit another answer to dd tar, that would probably help too. im not quite sure that this will work, but offensive calm mind suicune could be a cool option:

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Electric

as a back up help against spikeless offense and appreciates the pressure your team puts on defensive stuff. SD Sciz is also nice

Here is something I came up with for the style you originally had. I havent tested this, but this could work: https://pokepast.es/65720fab2fd03cb6

Uxie gives you a rocks user and backs you up against fighters

zong stays as is. think its pretty effective as an offensive support here

tran should prob use flamethrower > lava plume, but i could see plume. I made it faster than clef so you can erupt out of tr and 2hko it.

cress gives you an additional tr supporter. You have a free moveslot so trick scarf gives you a serviceable revenge killer (hits faster than dd tar so you can trick it and destroy it with , dnite dies to ice beam, you live any gyara hit) and then set up tr. can also ld to heal up champ/tran/dnite

dnite is devastating against stall team w tran back up. also gives you a water resist (you must must be careful against rain teams, they can eat you alive)

Machamp w tr support eats alive offense, but stall as well. tran is very useful to switch into rotom wow.

These changes dont really solve your rotom issues, but hopefully, your offense is enough to blast through it. tran can hold defensive rotom off for a bit. offensive rotom hates dealing w machamp/zong. you could potentially use payback on zong, but i dont think its worth it.

Hope this helps!
After having some time to think it over and read both yours and AndViet’s posts, I feel pretty confident about switching over to a Choice Specs build for Heatran, and I’m also going to start experimenting with Machamp and Gyarados on the team. I’ll probably use the set of Pokémon you included in the PokéPaste as a base and rework the team from there. These new team members, possibly including the Starmie set AndViet recommended, also have the added benefit of helping with the stressful Machamp and Gliscor matchups. Thanks for the help!

One more thing I would like to add- I understand that sometimes it can be hard to “bite the bullet” per sé, but I’m willing to admit that if I want this team to be generally successful, there’s always the possibility that Heatran was the problem here. I definitely won’t stop experimenting with Eruption Heatran, but I have to acknowledge that sometimes my favorite sets require a lot of support and in some case just aren’t viable.

I don’t always post in more competitive forums, but when I do, I like to make them count. This will still only be the second time I’ve made an RMT, so I apologize in advance for anything that doesn’t appear perfectly organized. I’m posting this RMT in particular for the purpose of hopefully collecting more information to further develop this core I’ve designed into a team and/or team style that can succeed on the DPP OU ladder. Thanks for your help in advance, and let’s dive right into the squad.

The Team

:dp/bronzong: :dp/heatran: :dp/breloom: :dp/tyranitar: :dp/magnezone: :dp/clefable:

In its current state, this team is a bulky offensive Trick Room archetype designed to take advantage of DPP OU’s “Big Five” teams, those of which consist of Jirachi, Tyranitar, Latias, Clefable, and Skarmory. Frequently, Big Five archetype teams add in a bulky Ground-Type in the sixth team slot to round out their matchup spread. In my search to find a balance core that can contend with the members of the tier’s Big Five, I stumbled upon the idea of using an old gem that’s been lost to the history books of Past Gens Doubles formats. Buckle up, because this is going to be a long post.

:dp/bronzong:
Bronzong @ Macho Brace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Explosion

This team needed a Trick Room setter just as much as it needed a proper win condition, and after over a month of comparing the Pokémon in DPP OU that learn the move, I settled in on Bronzong as both my Trick Room setter and as a potential anti-lead, hence its current team slot placement. The main draw for Bronzong as a Trick Room setter for this team was its better matchup against Tyranitar compared to other potential options like Celebi or Cresselia. The lack of a Bug-Type weakness for the purpose of U-Turn and immunity to sandstorm damage are nice bonuses too. The Pokémon Showdown team builder seems to agree with this decision, as no other recommended movesets for any Pokémon in the DPP OU threat list includes a Trick Room variant, not unlike what BW2 OU is seeing with Reuniclus as of late. Traditionally Trick Room Bronzong runs Gyro Ball, Earthquake, and Explosion as its three attacking moves, but Zen Headbutt can also be utilized to provide more reassurance against Fighting-Types in a strategy I’ll talk about with a later team member. As an added bonus, Zen Headbutt can also help Bronzong against a common ladder lead in Machamp if used in the lead slot, although this isn’t always reliable as Machamp can confuse you with DynamicPunch. If worried about this interaction, just use Zen Headbutt on Turn 1 instead of Trick Room to do as much damage as possible before switching out and saving both Bronzong and its Trick Room for later in the battle.

:dp/heatran:
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Eruption
- Earth Power
- Lava Plume
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Let me introduce the primary win condition and centerpiece of this team, a Pokémon only obtainable from a discontinued Wi-Fi event in 2010 from my favorite video game in history. I’ll save you guys the full story, but I’ve wanted to use this set for as long as I’ve been able to call myself a Pokémon fan since I didn’t have access to Nintendo WFC while this Heatran was still available. Over 12 years later, I’ve found a way for Pokémon Showdown to help me realize this wish. The cult classic Eruption Heatran was distributed with a guaranteed Quiet nature, which had players questioning how it was supposed to be used in multiplayer. That is, until some clever VGC 2010 players decided to pair it with Trick Room Cresselia sets and ended up breaking the metagame wide open. Together with a viable setter like Bronzong, Eruption Heatran is arguably my single most favorite set in the entirety of Pokémon and is an absolute ton of fun to practice with. The moveset I came up with is pretty simple- Eruption should be obvious, and Flamethrower gives Heatran a reliable Fire-Type move to click in scenarios where Eruption would do less damage. Lava Plume can be used in place of Flamethrower if you’re looking for a higher burn rate in place of some power, though. Earth Power is necessary type coverage against a number of targets and is by far Heatran’s best option against opposing Heatran. Finally, Hidden Power Grass hits specific targets that aren’t as afraid of Heatran’s other moves for super-effective damage, such as bulky Water-Types, although Hidden Power Ice can be used to potentially snipe Dragonite and Flygon switching in on the turn Trick Room runs out. The specific combination of nature, EVs, and Hidden Power IVs for both Grass and Ice gives this Heatran a Speed stat of 171 at Level 100, the knowledge of which may be helpful to know while Trick Room is active.

:dp/breloom:
Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Superpower
- Seed Bomb
- Mach Punch

Every good win condition needs a powerful offensive partner to help it deal with bad matchups. In Heatran’s case, its worst matchups are a combination of bulky Water-Types, bulky Ground-Types, although anything with Ground-Type coverage at all can potentially be a threat, and specially defensive Clefable who can get near-guaranteed Stealth Rock up and annoy Heatran in a number of other ways (although sometimes switching Heatran into a Thunder Wave can actually be a good thing, since it prevents Heatran from being put to sleep while simultaneously further lowering its Speed stat). Breloom’s role on this team is to provide necessary reassurance against the aforementioned Clefable as well as Swampert, Water Absorb Quagsire, most Tyranitar sets due to an interesting metagame flaw (mixed sets with Fire Blast don’t run Chople Berry due to needing Passho Berry for the bulky Water-Types that Steel-Type Fire Blast targets are usually paired with), and potentially even opposing Heatran depending on the situation. All three of Spore, Seed Bomb, and Mach Punch have their uses against those threats, with the fourth move slot being reserved either for Superpower for more Fighting-Type damage to push bulky neutral targets over the edge, or Stone Edge for Flying-Types such Gyarados, Zapdos, and all three of UUBL residents Strapator, Crobat, and Honchkrow, the first two of which cannot switch in while Trick Room is up.

:dp/tyranitar:
Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Choice Band Tyranitar is one of Breloom’s most consistently reliable partners in both low and high ladder, being the team’s main response to most variants of Latias, Azelf, Celebi, Rotom, as well as rarer choices in today’s metagame like Gengar and Cresselia. As one might expect, all of these matchups are easiest assuming Tyranitar’s target(s) aren’t running Colbur Berry. Breloom and the rest of the team already loves Tyanitar’s ability to Pursuit trap these threats as is, but there’s always that underlying possibility of Trick Room being up, enabling the usually slow Tyranitar to crush even more Pokémon with its choices of physical coverage moves. All three of Stone Edge, Superpower, and a Fire-Type move- even the non-Choice Band-boosted Fire Blast if you felt like it- are viable candidates for Tyranitar’s last two movesets after Pursuit and Crunch. If you don’t want to run Choice Band and/or two Dark-Type moves on the same set, a different held item can be selected with one of Tyranitar’s attacking move slots being opened up for Stealth Rock, which this team can struggle to set up otherwise.

:dp/magnezone:
Magnezone @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 32 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
- Magnet Rise
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunder Wave

Between Breloom, Tyranitar, and Magnezone, this team should have everything it needs to handle most staples of the Big Five DPP OU archetype. Magnezone in particular is the team’s best answer to Tier King Jirachi as well as the two Steel-Type Spikes setters being Skarmory and Forretress. I ended up choosing to use a Magnet Rise variant as my preferred Magnezone set, as the Choice sets didn’t allow Magnezone to switch moves and the Choice Scarf set in particular felt counter-intuitive to the usual goals of a bulky Trick Room team. Magnet Rise sets, on the other hand, can not only switch moves, but have an even easier time trapping Steel-Types that run any form of Ground-Type coverage. It’s extremely hard to pull off in practice, but Magnet Rise can also single-handedly flip the script on Gyarados that would have preferred to have been able to use Earthquake on Magnezone prior to switching out. With Magnet Rise active, Gyarados can still use a potentially boosted Waterfall to inflict solid damage, though, which is why I’m planning on replacing some of Magnezone’s usual Special Attack EV investment with more physical bulk, as STAB Thunderbolt and super-effective Hidden Powers can usually do enough damage against trapped targets anyways. One more thing before we move onto the last team member- if otherwise trapped Steel-Types happen to be Shed Shell against this Magnezone set, they can be dealt with by paralyzing them with one of the team’s two potential Thunder Wave users, which will then leave them vulnerable to Heatran’s Fire-Type moves since they won’t be holding Lum Berry and Shed Shell at the same time.

:dp/clefable:
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder Wave
- Knock Off
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled

An extremely unique Clefable set rounds out the rest of what this team needs, being one of two potential Stealth Rock setters alongside Tyranitar as well as one of two potential Thunder Wave users. Your choice of three of Soft-Boiled, Knock Off, Stealth Rock, and Thunder Wave will be taking up your first three move slots- but what about the fourth? This is where this set’s secret weapons come into play. In modern-day DPP OU, the status-immune Poison Heal Breloom can switch into and counter Clefable extremely easily, with similar feats being achievable by other Fighting-Types. Just when your opponent thought they could take advantage of Clefable’s passivity, they’ll be shocked to learn it’s actually holding a Chople Berry and that just like that their Breloom just got eviscerated by a four-times super-effective Hidden Power Flying. As hinted earlier, this strategy can also be used alongside Zen Headbutt Bronzong to beat Machamp leads, so long as the Turn 1 move selection as mentioned in Bronzong’s section is utilized properly.

(Post-playtest edit: With the given EV spread with 4 EVs in Special Attack, Hidden Power Flying still only connects for roughly 90% on -2 Sp. Def Infernape. As such, I've started experimenting with a more standard Clefable set that would offer the team more flexibility outside of the Fighting-Type matchups.)

Threats to the Team’s Success

:dp/rotom: (All forms)

If Tyranitar is defeated prior to Rotom’s appearance on the opponent’s team, Rotom can annoy the other members of this team depending on its form and if it is running one of its powerful special coverage moves. Overheat can deal big damage to Bronzong and Breloom, while Hydro Pump can deal a significant blow to Heatran. None of Bronzong, Tyranitar, or Breloom prior to its Toxic Orb activating appreciate switching to Will-o-Wisp, either.

:dp/machamp:

Machamp teams are this roster’s biggest weakness as far as team archetypes are concerned. The issue with Machamp isn’t so much with Machamp itself, so much as the fact that an opponent’s lead Machamp is going to be paired with five other Pokémon in the back during any significant high ladder or tournament game. Having to trade this team’s Trick Room setter and possibly Clefable for the opponent’s lead generally isn’t a good thing, and may require further team optimizations compared to battling against other leads. Nothing on this team really enjoys taking a DynamicPunch, either.

:dp/gliscor:

During the time in which this thread was previously locked, I ran into a hyper offense team on the low ladder that had a Swords Dance Gliscor in the back behind a mirror Bronzong lead, if I'm remembering things correctly. It was at that moment when I just kind of sat there and realized... in its current state, this team just doesn't have a reliable Gliscor check. While in theory I could switch Heatran over to Hidden Power Ice for this matchup, in practice this only works while Trick Room is active, meaning Gliscor still wins that matchup the large majority of the time.

Dedicated PokéPaste link for easy team copying: https://pokepast.es/e2c31652b5c680cc
honestly i think u would want a scarfer on this build. also this just autoloses to loom a bit lol, so def fix those small pieces of the team. eruption trans also an interesting set. i think magma would probs be better if u want to use sumn like dat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)