SM OU "if you can't beat the meta, you need to be the meta"

Hi,
after some struggle in the OU where I mostly got destroyed by meta teams and couldn't really use my cool Volcanion team, I decided to build a team I saw the members pretty often together. I didn't steal the whole team, I just saw how this kind of offense destroyed me pretty often so I rebuilt it. It's totally not perfect and probably needs some improvements but that's why I'm here.

View attachment 205612View attachment 205614View attachment 205604

View attachment 205606View attachment 205608View attachment 205610

View attachment 205612

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- U-turn / Volt Switch
- Taunt

So as you've already seen I have a Hawlucha as well, so I need a Terrain Setter. I hate Koko-Lucha because you always need counters in every team and it's annoying, it doesn't need to set up a lot, it gets a speed boost from switching. I don't like playing against it neither I like playing it, but I have to admit it's good. I run a Dual Screens Set which allows Hawlucha SDs after I sack Koko or switch out. This works pretty well against Lando-T, Tangrowth, Gliscor and other passive mons getting lured in by Koko and don't do much against Lucha. The set should be self-explaining, Taunt is against set-uppers because I'd feed them with it, it also stops Hawlucha from getting destroyed with annoying Status moves. I play U-Turn to switch against Ground Types as well, you can run Volt Switch as well, but this thing is not about damage anyways. Just watch out you don't forget the Terrain turns when your plan is sacking Koko.

View attachment 205614

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 36 SpD / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics
- Roost

The next member is obviously Hawlucha, as it's one of the most threatening sweepers and cleaners in the current meta (I hope this changes with gen8, but don't spoil me please). Standart set with enough SpDef to survive a Celfable Moonblast (0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 96 HP / 36 SpD Hawlucha: 270-320 (84.1 - 99.6%)) and to survive to with Light Screen (0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 96 HP / 36 SpD Hawlucha through Light Screen: 135-160 (42 - 49.8%)) as I kill it on +4 (+4 252+ Atk Hawlucha Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 409-483 (103.8 - 122.5%)). I play Roost as I often get the opportunity to heal behind screens against Lando, Gliscor, Ttar, etc. and tank some prios with the some HP more I get. Typical set winning me a lot of games especially because I can set-up more than usual behind screens.
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...OjlAhWOJFAKHUhGAS0QMwhLKAEwAQ&iact=mrc&uact=8

View attachment 205604
Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch

Standart Mega-Medicham set here, forces switches to chip the opponent's team and gives me a little bit of good revenge killing potential with Fake Out as I lack a scarfer. It mainly breaks through some Walls and gets some unexpected important picks right of the back. A good lead and a Troublemaker if you get it on against slower mons.

View attachment 205606
Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 144 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

The next member obviously Landorus-Therian because we play in the OU. It gives a little bit of defense into my team, physically defensive as this set is it checks a lof of offensive mons and is, in my opinion, the best Stealth Rock setter and my Breakers cause a lot of switches so this synergizes pretty well. I tank a lot of hits while recovering pretty decent with Leftovers. Stone Edge is against Volcarone and Charizard, as they can easily get set up against a passive Lando and sweep me, which has happened some times as I ran Knock-Off before. U-Turn for momentum to get in Breakers mostly or get the switch advantage against opposing scarf Landos as they either click U-Turn themselves or HP ice. EQ as STAB for good damage should be pretty clear. The EV Split is Standart smogon defensive Lando set, it outspeeds Modest Heatran as well as Timid Magearna and the rest maximizes my defensive bulk.

View attachment 205608
Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Ability: Teravolt
Jolly Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Outrage
- Roost
- Fusion Bolt

The Big Boi with the small Image, Kyurem-Black is the next member of the team. It's an amazing physical Breaker, while most players still play it special. I don't wanna waste its physical potential, so I run a totally physical set. Roost is for recovery as I take 25% from Stealth Rocks and I slowly get chipped away when I switch into Gren or on Volt/Turns. Z Freeze Shock is a Nuke which is an easy clickable move against a lot of teams because even resistances often can't really switch in. Outrage is a Nuke as well, but if often suicides me against incoming Fairys after I get a kill. Watch out against Mega-Mawile as this is free set up for him. Fusion Bolt against Toxapex, Fini or other Waters and doesn't lock me in the move. Full Speed full Attack to destroy my opponent and get in some Speed ties and even outspeed some important mons. I can run Jolly over Naive or Hasty because I don't have a special move.

View attachment 205610
Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Focus Blast / Ice Beam
- Iron Head / HP Fire / Flash Cannon

AV Magearna is the last member of the team, as I really wanna be able to get more switch-ins than another fully offensive mon. It provides me with one of the best special defensive walls in the tier. Volt Switch and Fleur Cannon are needed for the switch advantage to get my Breakers in and or the damage, on the last 2 Slots, you really need to decide what you currently want and don't feel bad about constantly switching your moveset as Magearna's coverage is insane.

A huge problem is the missing Speeds, as Koko is way too passive to make offensive use of its Speed, I don't have a scarfer and Hawlucha is only a late-game match-winner. Also Kyurem isn't the best, It works fine, but its Ice STAB is a one-time clickable Nuke and its Dragon STAB gets easily punished because I lock myself into it and I've even lost matches to Mawile getting set up on Outrage. And its only spamable move, m Fusion Bolt sadly doesnt do much damage without Band or Adamant Nature. I know I could easily run a special or mixed set, but I wanna use its physical power. The last point is that Magearna is mostly too passive because it doesn't do much damage and gets chipped away due to missing recovery. It won matches for me, but sometimes it's just the Will-O switch in or the best sack.
Stall destroys my team, but I don't enjoy having a good team against stall and a 200 turn battle either, so I don't really care. Trick Room is pretty dangerous and often wins against me because I can't use Koko's Taunt reliable to stop it, but they are only a few Trick Room Teams. Rain is fine because Kyurem deals with Mega-Swampert and againt Sand I'd say I have a pretty decent match-up. After using the Z-Move on Lando and getting the Intimidate drop, Excadrill is a setup folder for Hawlucha as well as some Ttar sets (because I have Roost)

I hope you like my team and maybe take time to find some improvements I could try. This team is often fast peace action and a lot of fun to play due to its offensive power. https://pokepast.es/d12a569a5c1aada9

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Jolly Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- U-turn
- Taunt

Hawlucha (F) @ Electric Seed
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics
- Roost

Medicham (F) @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 144 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Jolly Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Outrage
- Roost
- Fusion Bolt

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head

Koko, Hawlucha, and Medicham might not be the best core. You say you have an issue with stall. So to this I recommend changing medicham to alakazam, its faster, and hits a SHITTON harder against some of the main stall mons, gliscor, chansey, and toxapex.

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Recover / Psyshock
- Shadow Ball/ Dazzling Gleam

Next, it is BIZZARE to me you have a speed problem with Kyub on your team lmao. I was thinking what to do and having av. mag is great as it just patches your mega alakazam and Lele hole (which is why it runs iron head and not flash cannon") Making Kyub scarfed, which is getting a lot of usage due to its power, allows it to outspeed threats such as charizard-x, which seems to slaughter this team.

Mag is FINE.

Finally, you have LandoT, this also leaves your free Z-Slot open.

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Fly

No introduction needed. The Scourge of OU. Flyinium-Z hits threats in this shitload of a meta game extremely hard.

Alakazam-Mega @ Alakazite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Dazzling Gleam

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Jolly Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- U-turn
- Taunt

Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics
- Roost

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earth Power

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head

Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Fly

Thanks for reading and enjoy what I did to the team.

Koko, Hawlucha, and Medicham might not be the best core. You say you have an issue with stall. So to this I recommend changing medicham to alakazam, its faster, and hits a SHITTON harder against some of the main stall mons, gliscor, chansey, and toxapex.

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Recover / Psyshock

Next, it is BIZZARE to me you have a speed problem with Kyub on your team lmao. I was thinking what to do and having av. mag is great as it just patches your mega alakazam and Lele hole (which is why it runs iron head and not flash cannon") Making Kyub scarfed, which is getting a lot of usage due to its power, allows it to outspeed threats such as charizard-x, which seems to slaughter this team.

Mag is FINE.

Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Fly

No introduction needed. The Scourge of OU. Flyinium-Z hits threats in this shitload of a meta game extremely hard.

Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Dazzling Gleam

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Jolly Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- U-turn
- Taunt

Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics
- Roost

Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earth Power

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head

Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Fly

How the hell does zammy deal more to chansey than mmedi

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Recover / Psyshock

Mag is FINE.

Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Fly

Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Dazzling Gleam

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Jolly Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- U-turn
- Taunt

Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics
- Roost

Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earth Power

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head

Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Fly

The idea of Alakazams seems fine, it gives me speed and more fast special power but i don't see it breaking better than Medicham but i'll try it out. I honestly don't know if I need Scarf-Kyurem + Mega-Alakazam, as it removes his breaker potential, but it will definitely remove me speed problems. And making my Lando offensive gives with Z Fly gives me a physical breaker back but removes a great physical wall. I think I need to play more woth resistences now, but I'll try it all out and see how it goes.
Thanks for your reply :)

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Recover / Psyshock

Mag is FINE.

Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Fly

Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Dazzling Gleam

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Jolly Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- U-turn
- Taunt

Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics
- Roost

Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earth Power

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head

Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Fly

so I've been using your team a little bit and at the beginning, it didn't work, but after some time I fell in love with it. I really like the pressure Mega-Alakazam and Scarf-Kyurem put on my opponents just with their speed. And he still has to keep something against Hawlucha in the late game. I was skeptical at first because I thought scarf Kyurem won't work, but with the correct predictions it's pretty sick and the scarf is unexpected. After some important picks, I mostly can spam Ice Beam or Earth Power freely. And it's bulk makes it even more threatening. I also really like the Z-Move on Lando, at first I thought it sucks to lose a good defense, but due to its ability and typing it's still a very nice switch-in and Z-Fly gets some good kills often. I can also get reliable Stealth Rocks which helps me because I lack hazards control, so the enemy needs to defog (his own hazards as well). I have some problems when Magearna gets chipped down or I have T-Spikes or Sticky Web on my team, but it's pretty rare and Lucha can still win. But a huge problem is Ferrothorn, I Z-Fly it and then the trouble begins. I can handle it mostly, but I don't really have something (offensive as well as defensive) against it.
But overall the team is insane and definitely better than what I had before. Thanks!

Cool team you made there friend..... I liked the idea of Mega medi+ Lucha as medi is a fantastic wallbreaker and lucha is a very capable cleaner/sweeper and they both break for each other. But, as you said you have some issues with the team so I tryna help you. I am not the best team builder but I will try my best to improve the team for you.... I will talk about each member one by one. Alright then! -

:tapu koko::light clay:-->:shuca berry: Dual screens helps a frail team a lot by increasing its defense but this set is best used in hyper offence teams and just don't works well with this team. The shuca berry set will help you weaken or KO bulky ground types like lando-t and tankchomp which helps both medi and lucha a lot. It also lets you OHKO mega swampert after rocks with grass knot to make the rain matchup a bit easier as the team is kinda weak to rain. It also provides defog support to remove hazards as your team has no defog user. Here's the set for it-
Tapu Koko @ Shuca Berry
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Defog
- Grass Knot
Koko isn't running volt switch because magearna and lando are sufficient for the VoltTurn core but if you feel that volt switch is necessary on koko then you can replace it with grass knot anytime.

:hawlucha: I made some changes is the EVs so here is the set-
EVs: 92 HP / 248 Atk / 36 SpD / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics
- Roost
132 speed lets you outspeed other luchas and 4 EVs less in attack doesn't change anything at all.

:kyurem black:-->:kartana: Kyurem is not a necessity for the team because the team has mega medicham which is sufficient for a wallbreaker and the team also lacked a choice scarf user so I added scarf kartana which brings a lot to the team. First is speed as it outspeed mega lopunny and mega alakazam, it also forms a nice sweeper core with lucha as high jump kick hits everything which leaf blade can't, and vice versa. Here is the set for it too-
Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
Just a standard AOA scarfkart set to clean lategame.

:landorus therian::leftovers:-->:rockium z: Lack of recovery will hurt as lando is a part of the team's defensive backbone but rocknium z helps the team a lot. It allows lando to OHKO defensive zapdos after rocks with Z stone edge which helps half of the team ( kartana, medicham, hawlucha ). Here 's the set for it as well-
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Rockium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 140 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
EVs are standard for defensive lando and the speed allows it to outspeed uninvested zapdos to KO it before it HP ices.

:medicham mega: This mon is fine.

:magearna: Just some changes in the EVs. Here is the set-
Magearna @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 224 SpD / 36 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam
- Volt Switch
36 speed with a sassy nature allows magearna to outspeed uninvested clefable which gives it a good chance of beating it 1v1. You could change ice beam for focus blast or HP fire but you will be volting out on incoming heatran and ferrothorn anyway and catching lando with ice beam is good.

I tried my best to improve the team. As I stated above that I ain't the best team builder so the team has its own weaknesses such as offensive heatran, specs keldeo and Mega Mawile (who walls it anyway lol) but its kind of manageable if you make good predictions and there is nothing like a perfect team as every team has a weakness..... Anyway, hope you like my changes, sorry for my bad english or anything and yeah.. Enjoy! :]
The team is here, click the team for importables- :landorus therian::kartana::medicham mega::magearna::tapu koko::hawlucha:
Cool that you took the time to read and improve my team, but I don't really like these changes. I', not saying they are bad, but I don't see this in my team. Defensive Lando with Z-Move is, in my opinion, a wasted Z-Slot because it doesn't do much damage. As you said Rockium Z is for Zapdos, but the way Lando is played is not to counter one specific Pokemon, it's more like a general Pivot. And after that Zapdos is way too dangerous. I can't rely on killing it with a Z-Move by a Pivot after Rocks when it completely hard counters 2 of my Pokemon and soft counters another 2. And I don't really like this Koko, not because it's bad, but because The Dual Screens one worked so good. I often sack it against Koko Counters but Hawlucha Set-Up Folders and win with that. It just worked and I like the fact that I die after 2 Lando EQ's behind reflect because I need to watch my terrain turns and after I get free Lucha Set-Up. And Kartana doesn't give me the Speed control I needed. On the one side, it completely destroys some mons, but it gets hard countered pretty easily by meta mons. It's still an insane revenge killer and late-game cleaner but it can't consistently give me speed control because of the counters. Koko brings me offensive speed, but it's not strong enough and its coverage isn't the best. I'm sorry but I'll stick to xOliver's team, nothing personal, just my opinion and preference. Nevertheless, thank you for your time, maybe you have more success with your team than me.

so I've been using your team a little bit and at the beginning, it didn't work, but after some time I fell in love with it. I really like the pressure Mega-Alakazam and Scarf-Kyurem put on my opponents just with their speed. And he still has to keep something against Hawlucha in the late game. I was skeptical at first because I thought scarf Kyurem won't work, but with the correct predictions it's pretty sick and the scarf is unexpected. After some important picks, I mostly can spam Ice Beam or Earth Power freely. And it's bulk makes it even more threatening. I also really like the Z-Move on Lando, at first I thought it sucks to lose a good defense, but due to its ability and typing it's still a very nice switch-in and Z-Fly gets some good kills often. I can also get reliable Stealth Rocks which helps me because I lack hazards control, so the enemy needs to defog (his own hazards as well). I have some problems when Magearna gets chipped down or I have T-Spikes or Sticky Web on my team, but it's pretty rare and Lucha can still win. But a huge problem is Ferrothorn, I Z-Fly it and then the trouble begins. I can handle it mostly, but I don't really have something (offensive as well as defensive) against it.
But overall the team is insane and definitely better than what I had before. Thanks!

Cool that you took the time to read and improve my team, but I don't really like these changes. I', not saying they are bad, but I don't see this in my team. Defensive Lando with Z-Move is, in my opinion, a wasted Z-Slot because it doesn't do much damage. As you said Rockium Z is for Zapdos, but the way Lando is played is not to counter one specific Pokemon, it's more like a general Pivot. And after that Zapdos is way too dangerous. I can't rely on killing it with a Z-Move by a Pivot after Rocks when it completely hard counters 2 of my Pokemon and soft counters another 2. And I don't really like this Koko, not because it's bad, but because The Dual Screens one worked so good. I often sack it against Koko Counters but Hawlucha Set-Up Folders and win with that. It just worked and I like the fact that I die after 2 Lando EQ's behind reflect because I need to watch my terrain turns and after I get free Lucha Set-Up. And Kartana doesn't give me the Speed control I needed. On the one side, it completely destroys some mons, but it gets hard countered pretty easily by meta mons. It's still an insane revenge killer and late-game cleaner but it can't consistently give me speed control because of the counters. Koko brings me offensive speed, but it's not strong enough and its coverage isn't the best. I'm sorry but I'll stick to xOliver's team, nothing personal, just my opinion and preference. Nevertheless, thank you for your time, maybe you have more success with your team than me.
well.... its fine that you don't like the team. I didn't play tested it all... Hopefully, I will make a good one next time

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Recover / Psyshock

Mag is FINE.

Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Fly

Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Dazzling Gleam

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Jolly Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- U-turn
- Taunt

Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics
- Roost

Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earth Power

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head

Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Fly

just tried this team its godly, only trouble i had was a decent lele user

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)