Identifying instruments in songs

I have no background in music, so it's hard for me to point out what exact instruments are used in a song; obviously I know if it's string, wind, percussion, etc. but the specifics have me lost.

Obviously, the main reason I made this thread (to put it honestly and bluntly) is to know what instruments were used specifically in this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dFB8ns-r-c (yeah I know, it's video game music).

But to not make this thread too narrow, anyone is free to post any song they want, with the purpose being stated in the title.

I had to do this for my music GCSE. Was never very good at it though.

That particular song: Well it's mostly acoustic guitars. There's something making the tapping noise in parts, which could be anything really, it's hard to tell. And there's I think one other instrument, doing some arpeggios. Doesn't sound like a piano, not sure what it is.

I always find that with computers and keyboards and whatnot it's hard to tell. If anyone can figure out every different aspect in this song I'd be extremely impressed.

I actually do this alot, I listen to the drums/vocals in a song if it's something I have heard very often. I play drums though, so that's understandable. To keep a discussion up in this topic, though: What parts do you find easiest to find in the songs (posted now or in future in this thread), and why?

The song in the OP:

As far as I heard, 2 or 3 Acustic Guitars (as cantab said), and then a bass guitar (?) in the background, not sure on that. The tapping part sounded like snapping fingers or something.

sce4's song:
That's mostly synthesizers/computermade. Some of the percussion is real, but I'd say most of it was electronically made. There are some bongos in there though, at the middle.

OP: As far as I can tell it's a few acoustic guitars and an acoustic bass (yes, those exist). The tapping sound could be made by anything... but I'm guessing its made by slapping the acoustic guitar's side.

Regarding the OP: The tapping sounds towards the end are pretty difficult to distinguish, but it sounds to me like clapping and shoe tapping, almost like a Spanish tap dancer (this song has a very Classical Spanish feel).
Usually video games just use MIDI files, but you can actually hear some of the fingers sliding along the string for some of the position changes (which I don't think MIDI files typically include).
It helps a lot to listen to the song in headphones because usually the different parts are played in different ears if the song wasn't a monaural recording.

Hipmonlee's video on sampling is really interesting. The final mix was pretty cool.
I won't link to the full music video of Smack my Bitch Up by Prodigy, but it's worth watching for the more mature users out there.

EDIT: at sce4: Just like almost every other techno or club or dance or whatever you want to call it kind of song, it's a mixture of sampling and synthesizer. "Real" and/or electronic percussion are sometimes used, too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)