I want to be able to draw really well.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I want to be able draw out characters from various forms of media (mostly video games) on command. I want to be as good as:

http://hiimdaisy.livejournal.com/

http://nsider2.com/forums/index.php...s-chat-thread/page__pid__7976325#entry7976325

http://www.nuzlocke.com/?paged=3

What resources can I use to get better at drawing? Is it even possible for me? (I'm starting at ground zero aka zero skill) The main thing is that I want to have an art style that is presentable and quirky. Currently i'm really bad, (I plan on scanning a few pictures)

I figured it would only get in the way if I posted in the Smeargle studios thread.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Practice a lot. Not even serious practice per se because I can see you're going for a cartoonish style so just casual doodling is fine, in the margin of notes, on scrap paper etc. Doesn't matter one bit if you think they look sucky at first, you will get better. Read a lot of comic books/webcomics/manga, watch a lot of cartoons, don't try to blatantly copy them as that'll leave you frustrated. I find that if I see a lot of work by one artist eventually the style rubs off on me a bit. Once you establish a style of drawing that is easy and comfortable for you, you'll be able to put your own spin on popular characters. The thing I can't emphasise enough is perserverance, don't compare your work to professionals and then get discouraged, don't stop half-way. I hope this has been helpful and I look forward to seeing your progress.

Fatecrashers summed it up pretty well; all you can do is practice. I'm doing the same right now, just for a different thing. I randomly got interested in synthesizers a couple of weeks ago, so I searched around for software. Now I'm just messing around with those, learning how to make what sounds I want. It's taken a lot of time, but it's all I can do. I'm just like you: no skill. I don't even know what notes are what pitches.

I think a good way for you to learn is to watch someone else's process and see how well it works for you. Then when you get a little more skilled, tweak it to your liking. I know Aragornbird has a Youtube channel where he shows his process; I watched his videos for Reshiram and Zekrom, and it was pretty cool despite knowing nothing about art. I would watch those videos and others like them (sorry, can't remember his channel name). Above all, just mess around, doodle stuff.

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I know Aragornbird has a Youtube channel where he shows his process; I watched his videos for Reshiram and Zekrom, and it was pretty cool despite knowing nothing about art. I would watch those videos and others like them (sorry, can't remember his channel name).
It's arkeisvid. Or you can just click my sig.

But those videos don't show the whole thing, it would be too long if they did.

Learning how to draw or do anything creative really takes a lot of time and practice. I'm 23 and I've been drawing since I was 5, and I'm still not at the level I want to be. And unlike math or science, there's no specific formula to get a specific result. But the ability to experiment is still there and that's what you should do, especially if you only want to draw for fun and don't have any desires to be a professional artist.

First step is to get a small sketchbook and a pencil and carry it around everywhere you go, especially if you do any sort of traveling. Look at the shapes and forms of real things. You need to learn how real things look before you try to stylize them (ESPECIALLY if you plan on drawing humans). All three artists you posted have learned that or else they can't pull off their own consistent style.

Don't be like the 13 year olds on deviantART who try to draw in anime style even though they can't draw realistically, because it just ends up looking bad.

I can write a book about this, but there are already books on this subject so I'll just leave it at there.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Thanks for the feedback you guys.

@ Fatecrashers: Now that's what i'm talking about. I want to have a defined style like yours (that's some good pokemon comics) thanks for the advice. The arrested develepment one was fantastic.

@Ramblin Wreck: Thanks for the heads up, and keep at it dude, I hope you become a pro.

@aragornbird: First of all, you drew those Arkeis pictures? I used them for many of RMT's dude, those pictures are awesome! Thanks for the advice, I just bought sketchbook and I plan on buying books on art so I can get even better.

I'm going to check out those youtube vids.

Now off to go practise,practise,practise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)