Gen 3 I need help with NU team

I'm constructing an NU team for R/S/E/FR/LG, and this is what I've come up with so far.

Pidgeot (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Keen Eye
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Aerial Ace
- Double-Edge
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Sleep Talk

Wailord (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 56 SAtk / 40 SDef
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Selfdestruct

Flareon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 84 HP / 96 Atk / 140 Spd / 188 SAtk
Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Return
- Wish

Tangela (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 76 HP / 180 Spd / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Dark]
- Sleep Powder
- Solar Beam
- Sunny Day

Mawile (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Swords Dance
- Hidden Power [Steel]

Seviper (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Shed Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Glare
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Earthquake
---

I like Wailord/Flareon/Seviper/Pidgeot, but I'm not sure about the rest of it. I'm not even sure if Tangela is NU or UU. ;_;

GreenPikachu

pumpkin pieco
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
i'd almost make wailord a sleep talker. with all of its HP, it'd be a shame to waste it by exploding. that way, you could max HP, go with Bold, and then go about...108 Def/96 SpAtk/52 SpDef maybe. Or just pour that 52 SpDef into Atk/SpAtk, since I doubt you'd want Wailord taking many special hits anyway. then do Rest/Sleep talk/Surf/whatever.

i'd maybe use tangela as more of a defensive pokemon, focusing on defense and HP, and making it a double powdered (stun spore/sleep powder). that way, if you use wailord and tangela defensively, it won't be as much of a sin to leave your only normal resist (mawile) with no defensive evs at all. he can pass to pidgeot well and seviper (whose lack of sludge bomb is disturbing). I'd probably drop HP Grass (huh?) for that. Not all pokemon need to be able to counter all their weaknesses. That's what a "team" is for. I'm not sure Seviper and Tangela are even NU, but it's not that big of a deal.

Tangela and Seviper are UU according to Smogon Tiers...but since it's not that big of a deal..

switch some Evs around on tangela, make it Bold to take some hits...and if you are running sunny beaming set, change HP to fire.

try STalk on wailord - Rest, SLeep Talk, eq, IB.

if you'd like to make the team fully NU, could switch Tangela for Sunflora

timid nature
52hp/216 spd/240spa
sunnyday/solarbeam/hpfire/encore

and since you lack a special wall, chimecho's pretty good in NU with a CM or 2

calm
196 hp/136spA/176spD
psychic
hidden power [water]/ yawn (phazing)
calm mind
heal bell.

w/e.

I don't tihnk Mawile that's useful, and it'd be better off being replaced by like Sudowoodo, who can absorb attacks just as well, if not better, yet have a good STAB moves as well as being able to blow up on something you can't take care of.

GreenPikachu

pumpkin pieco
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
ah, i forgot about sudowoodo.

plus, if you change wailord into the sleep talker, sudowoodo can pick up the slack for exploding. HP/Def/Atk are what you should focus on.

im also not so sure that the lack of a special wall in nu is that dangerous considering everything is fairly weak. im sure pidgeot could come in and clean up anything dangerous.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Never invest HP EVs into Wailord until you've already maxed at least one Defense; Wailord gets much better defenses with 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpDef than 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpDef, unlike most Pokemon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)