Pokémon Hydreigon

Approved by: ausma

Hydreigon
:sv/hydreigon:
Type:
Dark / Dragon
Stats: 92 / 105 / 90 / 125 / 90 / 98 (600 BST)
Abilities: Levitate

Notable Moves
Dark Pulse
Draco Meteor
Earth Power
Fire Blast
Flamethrower
Flash Cannon
Focus Blast
Hydro Pump
Tera Blast*
Crunch
Earthquake
Head Smash
Ice Fang
Outrage
Rock Slide
U-Turn
Zen Headbutt
Tera Blast*
Dragon Dance
Nasty Plot
Stealth Rock
Substitute
Taunt
Thunder Wave

Pros
  • Solid base 125 special attack backed by strong STAB, Nasty Plot, and wide coverage make Hydreigon a hard to wall special threat.
  • Base 98 Speed is a decent speed tier, allowing Hydreigon to outspeed the slower portion of the metagame, including Baxcalibur, Great Tusk, and Rotom.
  • Due to its well rounded stats, access to u-turn, and decent speed, it can act as a solid choice scarf user, outspeeding everything up to neutral 110s at +1 such as Adamant Maushold (just as a reference).
  • Now has access to Stealth Rock, so it can act as an offensive setter.
  • 2 immunities to ground and psychic type moves. Key resists to ghost, dark, and fire among others.
Cons
  • Having lost its most reliable form of recovery (roost), Hydreigon now relies solely on leftovers as a form of recovery (if it even runs lefties).
  • 4x weak to fairy, and weak to other common offensive types, namely Bug, Fighting, and Ice.
  • Outsped by a large chunk of threats that force you out. Everything running +speed at base 100 up like Garchomp and even neutral Iron Valiant.
  • Crowded out by the plethora of solid dark types in the tier, especially Chien-Pao, Kingambit, and Roaring Moon.
Terastalize Potential

I think people are sleeping on this mons Tera potential, both defensively and offensively. Below are some summaries of the Tera typings I envision, and have tested. If you have more for consideration, please discuss and I will edit the post acccordingly.

Tera Steel was the first option I considered, as it basically flips Hydreigon’s defensive profile. Fairy / Bug / Dragon / Ice all are suddenly ineffective, while due to levitate you are now only weak to Fire and Fighting. You do however lose key resistances to ghost and dark.

Tera Poison was the second option I considered, as a specific counter to one of this mon’s biggest problems, Iron Valiant. When running Terablast, you catch it by surprise, resisting Fairy, and Fighting moves Hydreigon is otherwise vulnerable to. It is also only weak to Psychic type moves.

Of its two already present typings, I find that Tera Dark is better than Tera Dragon. While Adaptability Draco Meteor is stupid strong, being locked into Draco is less than ideal. Strong dark pulse spam tera is quite solid, even if it fairly prepped for in the meta currently.

Tera Electric, while funny as it has literally no weaknesses, has pretty garbage resistances, and is hard to justify offensively.

Bread and Butter Sets
Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Steel / Poison
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power / Flash Cannon
- Flash Cannon / Flamethrower / Tera Blast

This set takes advantage of Nasty Plot to turn Hydreigon from a decently strong hitter into a destroyer of defensive options. Pick and choose your moves depending on what you want Hydra to be able to kill. Steel / Poison Tera chosen depending on how weak your team is to Iron Valiant. Run Flash Cannon if Steel tera > Tera Blast. Life Orb is chosen over Leftovers for the extra oomph to muscle past specially defensive counterplay, and net more OHKOs.
Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Tera Type: Dark / Dragon
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower / Flash Cannon

Scarf Hydreigon had a resurgence in the late days of Sword and Shield OU, and returns with a vengeance in this fast paced metagame. The combination of Hydras strong stab, coverage options and speed tier mean that it slots as a decent option for many of the naturally faster answers in the game. U-turn and Dark Pulse are the two core moves, with some variance in the last two slots as needed. Draco is an obvious option as it is Hydreigon's strongest possible move, Flamethrower lets you hit things like specially defensive corviknight and the ever present steel type tera. Flash Cannon might be a better option for the various fairy type tera pokemon, and for Iron Valiant.

Other Options
  • If in need of a special ghost / dark resist, you could do much worse than specially defensive Hydreigon. This can be with leftovers, or an assault vest.
  • Other utility options not included in the sets above of note are taunt and stealth rock. An anti-lead sash set of Taunt / Stealth Rock / Dark Pulse / Surf could be interesting to take advantage of things like Glimmora and Great Tusk.
  • Dragon Dance with Tera Dragon/Fairy and Physical Tera Blast is an interesting option. Like Dragapult, but a fair bit slower. It is however outclassed by other Dragon Dancing mons.
Conclusion

Hydreigon, in my opinion, is an overlooked option. With the specific niche of being a slower, specially oriented Roaring Moon, with an in-built ground immunity. It has a surprising range of coverage and set options, allowing it to be act as a hard to predict option for muscling or manoeuvring around opponents. I advocate for you, dear reader, giving it a go, you'll be surprised what it can do.

Note:
As Hydreigon's usage changes, I will try to keep this post updated. This includes a potential Tera Ban, the addition of Home, and DLC. If you have anything you want added into this post, please message me and I will try to include it. Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoy using this cool Pokemon.

Last edited:
Hydreigon isn't necessarily bad but it is eclipsed by many of the other offensive threats out there such as Iron Vailant, Chi-Yu and Dragapult. It's speed and all those weaknesses are major issues that hinder it. On the plus side it has a very wide pool and can catch a lot of pokemon off guard also is largely resistant to entry hazards.

Hydreigon isn't necessarily bad but it is eclipsed by many of the other offensive threats out there such as Iron Vailant, Chi-Yu and Dragapult. It's speed and all those weaknesses are major issues that hinder it. On the plus side it has a very wide pool and can catch a lot of pokemon off guard also is largely resistant to entry hazards.
I think once Chi-Yu gets banned, Hydreigon will see a lot more usage. Its nowhere near as strong as the fish, but it still possess Nasty Plot and a reasonable enough Special Attack and Speed tier along with competent bulk and perhaps a bit more versatility in the item department, as it can run other items over HDB due to its greater resistance to hazards. Hydreigon also has perfect defensive synergy with the meta's top dog, Gholdengo, and all the pesky Fairy-types that gave it trouble in the later stages of Gen 8 are gone, so it's offensive potential is quite a bit better now as well. It also got Stealth Rock, so I'd Imagine it'll be a great lead, esp since it can tech options like Tera Steel to block Mortal Spin & deal big damage to grimmsnarl + Hatterene, as well as Taunt to shut down some opposing leads like Iron Treads and Ting Lu.

I think once Chi-Yu gets banned, Hydreigon will see a lot more usage. Its nowhere near as strong as the fish, but it still possess Nasty Plot and a reasonable enough Special Attack and Speed tier along with competent bulk and perhaps a bit more versatility in the item department, as it can run other items over HDB due to its greater resistance to hazards. Hydreigon also has perfect defensive synergy with the meta's top dog, Gholdengo, and all the pesky Fairy-types that gave it trouble in the later stages of Gen 8 are gone, so it's offensive potential is quite a bit better now as well. It also got Stealth Rock, so I'd Imagine it'll be a great lead, esp since it can tech options like Tera Steel to block Mortal Spin & deal big damage to grimmsnarl + Hatterene, as well as Taunt to shut down some opposing leads like Iron Treads and Ting Lu.
That's a big IF. Hydreigon is mostly outclassed by the other offensive options out there. Its Speed and Special Attack while decent, aren't usually enough to sweep. It is also vulnerable to priority moves and lost Roost this generation so that hurts its longevity significantly. Sure it gets SR but there are much better users available. Once HOME is released it has to compete with even more Pokémon, I think it will remain in UU possibly even drop further.

I've been using Tera Steel Choice Scarf Hydreigon pre-Chi Yu ban for a long time, and while it hasn't been the most consistent thing in the world, it still has been very effective in catching things like Dragapult, Chien-Pao, Roaring Moon, Garchomp and more off guard and even being able to dent Rotom and Amoongus in one Draco Meteor on the switch in. I agree with Magcargo in that its usage will go way up now that the fish is gone.

Scarfire

is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Tera Type: Fire
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Nasty Plot
- Stealth Rock

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Steel
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Flamethrower
- Nasty Plot

Think these 2 sets might be good for it right now; I'd pair it with garg to give an actual ghost resist. First set takes the burden of rocking off garg so it can do other annoying sets (block or ID press). Second one breaks opposing Garg builds nicely. Steel and Fire both give it good defensive typing to snipe Valiant, Chien, and in the case of Steel, Roaring Moon as well.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
Timid Nature
I don't see a strong reason to run more than 301 speed (ok 302 for Modest Sandy Shocks and to creep other stuff using the same logic), especially with Annihilape gone, so there's nothing there at the 306 speed tier.

The 80 EVs that you save add meaningful bulk e.g. 68 HP / 252 SpA / 16 SpD / 172 Spe always survives Timid Gholdengo Focus Blast from full. The specific spread allows Hydreigon to switch in on Rocks again after Focus Blast and Leftovers on 11/16 damage rolls. This hits 342 HP i.e. above the next Leftovers threshold, but Rocks/Salt Cure still round down to 42 damage.

Last edited:
Hydreigon (F) @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 88 HP / 252 SpA / 168 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Earth Power
- Dark Pulse
- Flash Cannon

Instead of Nasty Plot I like running Sub + 3 attacks. Punches holes in things mid game and can clean up well. EVs give it a bit of bulk and still sits at 274 speed, faster than max speed Adamant Bax. Tera Steel for Fairies and other Dragons especially Baxcalibur.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)