Other Metagames Huge Men In Kitchen - A Semi-Revolving Door Ubers UU Team (peak 1452 #15)

Introduction
The idea of an Underused for C- and D-Rank Uber Pokemon has been proposed here and there for some time, but with Paldea's Excellent, Well-Thought Out Pokemon Design, there has been an unprecedented number of bans in an attempt to keep OU in a semi-stable state. Thus, Ubers UU was finally made into reality, creating a chaotic-yet-fun tier. Utilizing the amazing Revolving Door core by Qbking3, I created a fun offensive team designed around wearing the foe down with Spikes, phazing, and pressure from Landorus and Palafin before cleaning up with Zacian, catapulting me to #15 on the ladder with a 78.5% GXE.
Proof of Peak
1701384138665.png

1701384170175.png

Teambuilding Process
:zacian: - After trying and failing to build around the Rillaboom/Sneasler Core, I decided to try Zacian as my Swords Dance cleaner of choice.
:zacian::chi-yu::magearna::cyclizar::palafin: - Fuck it, we Revolving Door. This core was a safe and effective way to fill teamslots with synergistic partners for Zacian; Chi-Yu broke in the earlier stages of the game, Magearna set hazards and acted as a defensive glue, Cyclizar removed hazards and enabled it with Shed Tail, and Palafin also broke while providing priority. Because the core was quite weak to hazards, I utilized Boots Zacian in order to alleviate my hazard weakness slightly.
:zacian::chi-yu::magearna::cyclizar::palafin::arceus-dark: - I was rather scared of EKiller Arceuses, particularly Arceus-Fire, so I added my own Arceus to check them. Arceus-Dark was chosen due to its ability to punish Swords Dance/Dragon Dance Arceuses with Foul Play.
:zacian::landorus::magearna::cyclizar::palafin::arceus-dark: - I found that the team was extremely weak to Ground-types and fared terribly against hazards, and I didn't like stacking Fighting weaknesses either, so I added Landorus as my Scarf user over Chi-Yu in order to have a Ground move switchin as well as an extra Spikes immunity. Being immune to Thunder Wave was also quite nice.
:zacian::landorus::magearna::cyclizar::palafin::arceus-poison: - Palkia-O was a scourge for the team, along with its counterpart Dialga, so I made Magearna Specially Defensive. To compensate for losing my Zacian check, I added physically defensive Arceus-Poison over Darkeus, which is arguably one of the best Zacian checks in the meta. (While Crocalor is technically a more sound check, it's far less splashable than Arceus is.)

The Team
(click the images for artist credit!)
SNIZ
zacianshiny.png @
Bag_Heavy-Duty_Boots_SV_Sprite.png

Ability: Intrepid Sword
Tera Type:
GroundIC_Tera.png

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-
NormalIC_SV.png
Swords Dance
-
FairyIC_SV.png
Play Rough
-
FightingIC_SV.png
Close Combat
-
NormalIC_SV.png
Tera Blast
One of the strongest mons in the tier, Zacian serves as this team's cleaner, and as such it's best to preserve it until checks (like Arceus-Poison and Palafin) are worn down/eliminated. Tera Ground is used due to its excellent neutral coverage, forming an effectively unresisted STAB combo with Play Rough and smacking targets like Magearna and the aforementioned Arceus-Poison. Heavy-Duty Boots protects Zacian from hazard chip and in turn helps prevent it from being picked off by priority (assuming it hasn't Terastallized). While it may be tempting to bring in and Terastallize Zacian early due to its nuking power, it's generally a bad idea, especially against teams carrying a Palafin or Rillaboom due to their powerful priority moves. Instead, focus on eliminating the opponent's priority as much as possible, wearing down Pokemon like Magearna and being conservative with Terastallizing the dog, especially if Palafin or Rillaboom are still alive.
BIG MAN
landorus.png @
Bag_Choice_Scarf_SV_Sprite.png

Ability: Sheer Force
Tera Type:
GroundIC_Tera.png

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-
GroundIC_SV.png
Earth Power
-
BugIC_SV.png
U-turn
-
FightingIC_SV.png
Focus Blast
-
PoisonIC_SV.png
Sludge Bomb
The big man on campus, Landorus capitalizes on the tier's lack of Ground resists to wreak havoc in the early- and sometimes late-game. While Life Orb does hit much harder, it's quite slow and easily prone to being exploited by faster Pokemon such as Cyclizar, and this team also needs the speed control Landorus provides. Focus Blast is used to deter the Ursalunas and potentially punish Tera Normal Arceuses, while Sludge Bomb hits switch-ins such as Rillaboom and Arceus-Grass. Tera Ground helps Landorus pick up KOs that are otherwise left to rolls, such as against healthy Cyclizar and chipped Zacian. Landorus usually makes its appearance early, even being a solid lead choice in cases where Cyclizar is a poor option thanks to U-Turn. You'll have to play more carefully against teams that carry a ground-immune Pokemon, such as Dragonite. Additionally, if a Steel-type comes in against Landorus and doesn't have a balloon? It's gonna Terastallize and you should definitely get out of there.
ENGINEER GAMING
magearna.png @
Bag_Leftovers_SV_Sprite.png

Ability: Soul-Heart
Tera Type:
FlyingIC_Tera.png

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
-
FairyIC_SV.png
Fleur Cannon
-
ElectricIC_SV.png
Volt Switch
-
ElectricIC_SV.png
Thunder Wave
-
GroundIC_SV.png
Spikes
The first of the Revolving Door core, this Magearna forgoes physical Defense investment in favor of Special Defense in order to improve this team's matchup into the Time/Space dragons; Arceus is used to shore up the lost physical bulk. This is otherwise a fairly standard Spikes Magearna set; Thunder Wave is the third move of choice due to its ability to cripple the Arceus forms and switch-ins such as Chi-Yu. Magearna doesn't usually Terastallize due to already having an insane defensive typing, but Tera Flying is used in order to take Ground-type moves from the likes of Landorus in a pinch. Magearna usually comes in early to set hazards and spread paralysis, though Magearna mirror matches can often end with hazards being stacked on your side. If a Ground-type such as Landorus is on the opponent's team, then be more aggressive with Fleur Cannon in order to punish them switching in.
Other Options
Encore can be used over Thunder Wave to further deter and cripple setup sweepers, though the speed loss from paralysis is usually preferred.
FORD PINTO
cyclizar.png@
Bag_Heavy-Duty_Boots_SV_Sprite.png

Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type:
FairyIC_Tera.png

EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-
NormalIC_SV.png
Shed Tail
-
NormalIC_SV.png
Rapid Spin
-
DarkIC_SV.png
Knock Off
-
DarkIC_SV.png
Taunt
The second of the Revolving Door Pokemon, Cyclizar helps alleviate the team's weakness to hazards in addition to providing utility with the balanced, well-designed move Shed Tail. Taunt is used to shut down hazard leads and setup sweepers, though it's a very risky move against Pokemon like Magearna and Dialga. Cyclizar almost never Terastallizes due to being a utility Pokemon, but Tera Fairy gives it a resistance to moves like Chi-Yu's Dark Pulse in a pinch. Cyclizar is a frequent lead, though you may not want to lead against other Cyclizars due to the speed tie gamble. Some good applications for Shed Tail include getting Magearna in early to set up hazards more comfortably, safely bringing in Landorus against Magearna in order to break the latter, or giving Zacian easy set-up turns in the late game.
Other Options
Draco Meteor can be used over Taunt in order to catch other Cyclizars off-guard, though you still need to win the speed tie war and it worsens your already-shaky matchup into hazards and Trick Room.
NIFALAP
shinypalafin.png @
Bag_Choice_Band_SV_Sprite.png

Ability: Zero to Hero
Tera Type:
WaterIC_Tera.png

EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
-
WaterIC_SV.png
Jet Punch
-
WaterIC_SV.png
Wave Crash
-
FightingIC_SV.png
Close Combat
-
WaterIC_SV.png
Flip Turn
The final Revolving Door member, Palafin serves as the team's resident breaker and priority user, with a largely standard Choice Band set. 16 Speed EVs creep other slow Palafin, but more can be run into bulk if needed. Tera Water turns Wave Crash into a Tsar Bomb and bolsters Jet Punch in a pinch. While you want to get Palafin in early, leading the dolphin is a noob trap that lets you get exploited by other leads, namely Cyclizar. Passing a Shed Tail is an option in order to let Palafin safely transform, though it does whittle down Cyclizar a bi and comes with a bit of opportunity cost. Keep your opponents on their toes with the Jet Punch or Flip Turn/Wave Crash guessing game, and be sure to mix it up a bit; don't fall into a pattern of, say, Jet>Wave>Jet>Wave.
MR. ELECTRIC...
arcpoison.png @
Bag_Toxic_Plate_SV_Sprite.png

Ability: Multitype
Tera Type:
WaterIC_Tera.png

EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 104 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
-
NormalIC_SV.png
Roar
-
PoisonIC_SV.png
Judgment
-
GroundIC_SV.png
Earth Power
-
NormalIC_SV.png
Recover
...Roar his ass. Poison Arceus serves as a defensive glue for the team, with Roar phazing out dangerous set-up sweepers like Espathra and various Arceus forms. 104 Speed EVs lets Arceus outrun Baxcalibur in order to pick it off. A Special set is used over physical due to Gunk Shot's unreliable accuracy and Poison Jab's lacking power. Tera Water is an overall solid defensive typing that lets Arceus resist Palafin's Wave Crash and Arceus-Fire's Flare Blitz. Arceus-Poison is a frequent Shed Tail recipient, especially against Palafin leads, so it can phaze more comfortably. Otherwise it usually comes in during the early-mid game to soak up hits as well as the late game to deter setup sweepers.
Threatlist
:landorus: :ursaluna: :ursaluna-bloodmoon: - Even with the addition of Landorus, offensive Ground-types can easily wreak havoc on the team thanks to its lack of resistances (and the one mon that does resist Ground is rather frail). You'll want to be aggressive with Palafin in order to deter them from coming in; be sure to change into its Hero form ASAP. Teraing Arceus or Magearna can also help.
:palkia-origin: (:palkia:)- Wouldn't be a Revolving Door team without being threatened by this stupid horse. Even with Special Defense investment, Magearna still takes chunks from Hydro Pump or coverage. Try to position Zacian in order to threaten it, usually with good ol' Cyclizar. Regular Palkia, while not as offensively potent, is also annoying for similar reasons.
:dialga: (:dialga-origin:) - Like Palkia-Origin but a bit less prevalent, its danger comes in its unpredictability; is it going to set up Rocks and Thunder Wave? Chunk you with Choice-Boosted attacks? Or take you down with it via Steel Beam? Once again aggression with Landorus, and by extension Palafin, is key, as is playing carefully with Magearna. Air Balloon sets are especially irritating. While not a real mon, Origin form Dialga can also be a bit irritating to face, albeit with less offensive potency.
:arceus-fire: - An utter hydrogen bomb that can pluck off the entire team with Flare Blitz and Extreme Speed. It's especially dangerous after it Terastallizes into budget EKiller. Try to Roar it out with Arceus-Poison or deter it from coming in with hazards and Palafin.
:palafin-hero: - As this team's only water resist (without tera) is your own Palafin, you need to play carefully against opposing dolphins. Terastallizing Arceus may be necessary, but try to force Jet Punches with Pokemon like Landorus so that Arceus or Palafin can come in safer.
:garganacl: - Iron Defense variants of Garganacl are supremely annoying. If you see one, avoid Terastallizing Arceus until it goes down. It's especially annoying when paired with Palafin.
:chi-yu: - Very difficult to switch into thanks to the Overheat or Dark Pulse guessing game. Some risky predicts will likely be needed to beat it, as is offensive pressure from Palafin and Landorus.
:spectrier: - Yes, Spectrier of all things is a threat to this team thanks to the team's sole ghost resist (Cyclizar) getting murked by Draining Kiss. Smacking it with priority from Palafin is key, as is forcing it to wear itself down with Substitute.
:room-service: - Probably this team's hardest matchup is Trick Room. As Cyclizar is the team's only Taunt user, you'll often have to rely on using Roar on Arceus-Poison in order to beat Trick Room teams.
Replays
(this space reserved for when showdown fixes replays)
Conclusion
Even after nearly going insane from the ladder, this is still one of the most fun and chaotic tiers I've played. Who knew that sloppy balancing from Game Freak would lead to such an enjoyable tier to play? I look forward to the kickoff and I hope you find success with this team. Once again, shoutouts to Qbking3 for the amazing Revolving Door core, as well as IcyScream and the Ubers UU discord for helping me out.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)