Approved How to become famous on PS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is for all the new users (users who only smogon or new users in general) who really want to get involved with PS, but have no idea where to start. PS is a huge place, with so many rooms to get involved with, it can be intimidating on first glance. For anyone who wants to know how to become a good presence and be remembered, this is their guide.

Step 1: Choose a good name

This is obviously the first step, if you want to become active on PS you need a good name. It's better to pick something appropriate and catchy/witty, other than something like xxCutieGirlxx. Names are the first thing people see, so you better make it a good one.

Step 2: Choose a room you seem interested in

There are a bunch (will get an exact number later) of rooms with completely different purposes to tailor for the wants of every single user. If you want to start having fun on ps, you need to choose what room you think you would enjoy the most. If you want to trade, head over to wifi, if you want to battle in tournaments, try tournaments, if you want to play a chat based game, try the many rooms that have them (mafia, survivor, TextQuest).

Step 3: Familiarize yourself with room and global rules

This is important, you don't want to accidentally break some rule and be viewed negatively all of a sudden. Using the /rules command will let you view the global rules (rules that apply to all public rooms) and the room rules (rules that apply to that specific room). The staff are always watching you and everyone else, so make sure you know what the rules are.

Step 4: Get involved with the room events and chat

Every room has their own community and events. Once you start chatting, you'll get to learn the type of people there and learn what exactly the room is. Remember, becoming known isn't an over night thing, and you really want to familiarize yourself with everything so people like you.

Step 5: Start making friends and move on from there (conclusion)!

If you follow all these steps accurately and chat actively, soon enough you should start making a few friends and get more involved in the room! From there, things get easy, because you've made a small name for yourself, and if you're a good presence the only way you can go is up. Good luck!

I could also change around some of the rules if people feel strong about one of them but I'm going to go into a lot more detail on being a good presence.

Honestly to make this differ from the other articles, I could try to make it a lot more humor based while keeping the info in. Idk I could focus on making it a tabloid kind of thing, or maybe I could make the atmosphere more related to school as that's starting up (popular in school etc.). I would need more thoughts though, since I'm more focused on the information itself.

Antemortem this seems similar to an article that you're writing, isn't it?

Actually wait, after reading your article, it seems that the information being given to new users of PS! differs between the two articles. Ante's article is more technical-based for new users to kind of get a feel around PS!, and this seems to focus more on the general environment.

Seems fine by me, I'll wait for a second opinion from Ante, though.

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Am I famous by these standards or what?
you have friends? :<

yeah this is different from the technical tips I gave. I would agree that the name section is super subjective and some people like Vacate have spammy names as mods so

I like this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)