Research How many Pokemon are obtainable in each title?

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Minor question about this line: are you excluding Milotic from the Gen 5 count because it evolves by trade now? Because you can fish it up in rippling water on Route 1 (it's actually the first Pokemon I encountered with the Super Rod in White lol).

I might just be misinterpreting you though! Disregard if so
Uhhhh... very good question!

I can't remember - this was so long ago I'd have to do a recount. That certainly sounds like I'd overlooked it also being catchable in the wild, but I'm genuinely unsure.

I'm currently in the process of compiling a document that will log every available Pokemon in each game, and will have a definitive number for each, taking into account factors such as evolution stone shortages. Be a while before I'm done with it though.

LGPE are actually pretty trivial because of the Dexit. If regional forms don't count, then each game has 135 of 153 Pokemon available. If they do, then each game has 149 of 171 available. Mew, Meltan, and Melmetal are only available with outside help and each game has 11 version exclusives, 15 if you count regional forms.

EDIT: Also missing are the four trade evos, whoops. However, all the mons that were either/or in the originals are obtainable in other ways in LGPE (the fossils are in Cerulean Cave and the Hitmons and original starters, plus the new ones are in the wild).

QuentinQuonce

Really interesting stuff! Are you planning to do one for ScarVi and LGPE, or does that sound just a bit too exhausting? I guess technically ScarVi aren't 'over' yet, mind
I've not (yet) played ScVi - considering it when the DLC drops - so I wouldn't be the best person for that.

Planning to come back to this down the line though so if I do I will, but atm other things are taking priority.

LGPE are actually pretty trivial because of the Dexit. If regional forms don't count, then each game has 135 of 153 Pokemon available. If they do, then each game has 149 of 171 available. Mew, Meltan, and Melmetal are only available with outside help and each game has 11 version exclusives, 15 if you count regional forms.

EDIT: Also missing are the four trade evos, whoops. However, all the mons that were either/or in the originals are obtainable in other ways in LGPE (the fossils are in Cerulean Cave and the Hitmons and original starters, plus the new ones are in the wild).
This is fab, thanks!

Just seeing this for the first time a thought has come to my head.
You mention how you can only obtain one of either Eleki or Drago in the Crown Tundra, but you need both in order to obtain Regigigas. Not sure if you originally included that, and I figured I'd mention it so it wasn't something to forget if/when you come back to this.

QuentinQuonce

Just seeing this for the first time a thought has come to my head.
You mention how you can only obtain one of either Eleki or Drago in the Crown Tundra, but you need both in order to obtain Regigigas. Not sure if you originally included that, and I figured I'd mention it so it wasn't something to forget if/when you come back to this.
Another good spot! I'll make a note for the spreadsheet I'm working on. Not near Gen VIII yet but that's a good point to keep in mind.

SV would also wind up being fairly easy thanks to Raids & Dexit. You can get Slowking, Scizor & Palafin through raids (in fact, I have several of them)

If we don't count the Foreign pokemon at all, and assuming you're doing nothing else, it's 372/400 (400-the 6 other starters - the 22 version exclusives)

After that things get kind of iffy since there's various Pokemon we've been able to get via the online 7* Raids, plus Iron Leaves/Walking Wake. Like they're available to everyone if you have online, and they're not something that necessarily requires playing with other people (aside from the VE Paradox, if yo uhave the raid data they will show up until you connect again after they leave), but if you're connecting online anyway well I mean you could also grab the other VEs (except for the box legends) out of the Raid Board without enough luck or patience. And also all the raids are time limited. But also each month is adding more Pokemon to the pile and Home's still not out and yadda yadda yadda.
It'd be 374 (SV offers access to Quagsire & Perrserker in the base game) out of [whatever at 4/25 +X where x is anything in the future]

I loved this thread and i am very happy to discover it, since i'm on a mission of completing every pokedex for each gen as much as possible. I only have 1 game of each GEN, so this helps a lot.

Now i would like to point out something rather funny and something a lot of people might find "illegal", but in pokemon crystal (and i think gold and silver too, but i'm not 100% sure), you can in fact get all the starters and then breed them if you are going for a living dex. All you have to do is use a bug in the game that allows you to essentially dupe pokemon. In the case of starters, you can save before you get your starter, you get your starter, play until you can access storage, deposit the pokemon and then instantly switch boxes. If you reset the game at the right time, the pokemon will stay in the storage and you will be put back to the point where you saved, which was before you chose your starter. Do this 2 times and you have all the starters.

I've just finished my crystal living dex (well as much as i could ofc.) and i ended on 213 pokemon. Took me 100 hours of playtime.

Literally just finished like 10 minutes ago so i'm quite excited writing here

QuentinQuonce

I loved this thread and i am very happy to discover it, since i'm on a mission of completing every pokedex for each gen as much as possible. I only have 1 game of each GEN, so this helps a lot.

Now i would like to point out something rather funny and something a lot of people might find "illegal", but in pokemon crystal (and i think gold and silver too, but i'm not 100% sure), you can in fact get all the starters and then breed them if you are going for a living dex. All you have to do is use a bug in the game that allows you to essentially dupe pokemon. In the case of starters, you can save before you get your starter, you get your starter, play until you can access storage, deposit the pokemon and then instantly switch boxes. If you reset the game at the right time, the pokemon will stay in the storage and you will be put back to the point where you saved, which was before you chose your starter. Do this 2 times and you have all the starters.

I've just finished my crystal living dex (well as much as i could ofc.) and i ended on 213 pokemon. Took me 100 hours of playtime.

Literally just finished like 10 minutes ago so i'm quite excited writing here
Always wanted to try this glitch for myself, but never have.

In the same vein, there's a relatively easy arbitrary code execution one can do in GS (presumably Crystal too) that allows one to receive any Pokemon from the Bug-Catching Contest. I set this up on my VC Silver title as a way of getting Celebi, though Poketransporter blocked it from transferring until Crystal was released.

(Congrats on finishing your dex btw)

I keep meaning to properly come back to this thread at some point and write things up in more accurate detail.

QuentinQuonce

Had a bit of time yesterday so I finally put some of this data into a Google sheet - it's here for anyone interested.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SCWDi0YJ7To97NBPI3JttPxyI6Fei8UEASHnpaWgoxY/edit?usp=sharing

Presently I've only gotten as far as Gen V but I'd like to continue and add all the games in the series as well as Colosseum and XD (and possibly even Ranch for fun?). edit: Gamecube titles are now added I'd welcome any help and contributions on this (Altissimo, this might be of interest to you) so if anyone wants to contribute to it let me know.

Last edited:
Came back to this thread after a month and i'm happy to see improvements !
After completing the Crystal pokedex, I've decided to continue the trend and get the whole pokemon HOME dex. Next stop was generation 3 of which I have pokemon Emerald. As of writing this post, if you are not opposed to breaking the game and bringing it to its absolute limit you can get quite a lot of other pokemon normally not available in this specific game. You can get all the events + starter pokemon and much more. I'm currently finishing the game with trying to obtain all the gold badges in the battle frontier and i just want to share this knowledge with everyone reading this thread.

If you were even mildly interested in what i wrote above, you should check guides of people like "Papa Jefe" and "I'm a blisy". These two are a blessing in disguise. And i know whats on your mind right now; "But doesn't this make the Pokemon "illegal"?" And the answer is a big fat NO. If you do everything according to the guides the pokemon are completely legit and you can transfer them up all the way to Scarlet and Violet. The pokemon obtained this way were also used in the world championship. (Just make sure not to fiddle around with the stats of the naturally generated pokemon and make sure not to teach the pokemon any moves they can't learn naturally).

Good luck on your projects and keep up the good work ! The spreadsheets help a load.
I'll come back here once I start playing GEN 4 :p

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
This isn't related 100% to the topic, but…

In gen3, if you have all of Ruby, Emerald, FireRed, Colosseum, and XD; you'd still be unable to complete the national dex.

That's because the Slowpoke line is completely exclusive to LeafGreen.

If you replace FireRed with LeafGreen, then this wouldn't be a problem and you could have a national dex in gen3 excluding mythicals. But for those of us who chose FireRed over LeafGreen…

QuentinQuonce

This isn't related 100% to the topic, but…

In gen3, if you have all of Ruby, Emerald, FireRed, Colosseum, and XD; you'd still be unable to complete the national dex.

That's because the Slowpoke line is completely exclusive to LeafGreen.

If you replace FireRed with LeafGreen, then this wouldn't be a problem and you could have a national dex in gen3 excluding mythicals. But for those of us who chose FireRed over LeafGreen…
Yes, the Slowpoke line's rarity in Gen 3 is weird.

Colosseum was released pre-FRLG and deliberately prevented access to any Gen I species, which is why Espeon, Umbreon, and the bonus-exclusive Scizor were all locked to male as Ditto was not yet available and thus couldn't be used to breed them. Hitmontop is naturally male-only, and if Miltank were able to breed Tauros eggs (akin to the situation with Volbeat and Illumise) it likely would not have been made available.

So there was no reason Slowking couldn't have been a snaggable species in Colosseum as long as they'd locked its gender to male, but even ignoring that, XD goes out of its way to give you nearly all the version-exclusive Pokemon Colosseum doesn't; in fact, of all the version-exclusive mons in Gen III - legendaries and Slowpoke aside - only Oddish, Marill, Lotad, and Seviper are missing from both Gamecube titles. The former two are available in all three Hoenn games but the latter two are an odd omission especially considering that their counterparts Seedot and Zangoose were included.

But Slowpoke's absence from XD is really curious, since that game also gives you several hard-to-get Kanto species like Chansey, Tauros, and Kangaskhan. And as you say, no other Pokemon is in this situation.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)