Strategy & Metagame Hoenn's Titans, Then and Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albert.

visually stimulating
I had the idea of writing about the comparison in metagame mechanics between generations 3 and 6; more specifically around RSE into ORAS, and how drastically the metagame has changed.

I envision the main focus being the physical/special transition between some moves, and how that has impacted the mechanics of the tiers and metagame as a whole.

Another section could potentially be a couple of pokemon that were absolutely terrible in RSE, but have been revamped and are now actually useful in certain aspects of competitive battling.

Here are a couple of examples:

In the case of Gyarados, its moveset has drastically changed through generations, mainly because of the physical/special shift.

The average 3rd Gen Gyarados consisted of:
  • Double Edge
  • Hidden Power Flying
  • Hydro Pump/Fire Blast
  • Earthquake
This was mainly because in Generation 3, Hidden Power Flying was classified as a physical move. So not only did Gyarados benefit from getting the STAB Boost, but it was also useful in taking out popular Clerics like Celebi.

The current 6th Gen Mega Gyarados set consists of:
  • Dragon Dance
  • Waterfall
  • Earthquake
  • Ice Fang / Substitute / Taunt
As you can clearly see, the movesets are quite different. Because of the Physical/Special Split, Waterfall is now a Physical Move, which allows Gyarados to hit hard AND get a STAB boost. Another usual addition to Gyarados is its Mega Evolution. With it's 155 Base Atk, Mega Gyarados can do huge damage to walls, even without Dragon Dance setups.

Salamence is another good example of a pokemon that has undergone significant changes within the metagame.

The typical moveset for Gen 3 Salamence looked something like:
  • Hidden Power Flying
  • Rock Slide
  • Earthquake
  • Fire Blast / Brick Break
This moveset proved to be very viable to Salamence in Gen 3. With Hidden Power Flying being physical, it aided Salamence in doing huge STAB damage to anything in its way. Rock Slide was also very useful for taking out Zapdos.

The current Gen 6 moveset for Mega Salamence is not as different as Gyarados' between generations, but it definitely changes how it was used in competitive battling.
  • Dragon Dance
  • Return / Double Edge
  • Earthquake
  • Fire Blast / Outrage
Salamence's Mega Evolution's Ability 'Aerilate' definitely aids Salamence in being able to do heavy damage to opponents by turning every Normal Type attack into a Flying Type attack. Aerilate's main function is to give Salamence more STAB boosts, as there aren't a lot of viable Flying Type moves that it can learn. Also, because of Hidden Power Flying's switch to a special move after the third generation, it needed that flying coverage.

(Note that in the actual article itself, there will be more examples such as Crawdaunt, Sharpedo, and Sableye.)

Goddess Briyella has agreed to assist me with this project. Thank you for the opportunity to contribute.

Toast++

Nexus is literally the worst.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Sounds good to me.

I'll get your access to the workshop and here's the obligatory new writer message:
1) Get your stuff done on time. If there's ever a situation that comes up, talk with The Smog Staff, and we'll make accommodations. The key here is communication; we need to hear from you if something is up that will prevent you from meeting the deadline. Try to get your stuff done in two weeks if possible, in order to give the GP/HTML/art team time to get everything done.

2) Don't leak any of our stuff until the release happens. This includes art and any other information. If you ever want feedback on your work or have questions, you can join us in #thesmog on IRC (if you don't have IRC, you can PM me or another staffer on the forums and I'll give you a link).

If you need any help, please don't hesitate to ask The Smog Staff. When you post your thread in the Article Workshop, you need to set labels for it. You'll need to set the issue's number too. For the tags that say WIP, Grammar, etc, those are the stages your article are in. Since you'll ideally be working on the article after posting your thread, mark it as WIP. When you finish, move it to Grammar and get it checked twice by other people. Afterward is the HTML stage and someone will put it into HTML code. Your article will eventually get art done for it and it'll be complete!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)