Battle Stadium HO-OH offensive team help

Welcome to my very first Battle stadium team. I have played Pokémon for around 10 years but only competitive for the last year. This is my first team for battle spot which I have some success with I feel I have now got as far as I can with this team and I am unsure if the team is much able to progress above 1500.

I like to build more offensive/hyper offensive teams but I also found with this team that Quagsire was massively needed in order to stop certain pokemon for sweeping my team, other than HO-OH and Quagsire the other four members I am up for any suggestions. Either to make the team more bulky (but not stall I hate it haha). Or more hyper offensive in order to just blast and move on.

Pokemon-Crown-Tundra-DLC-Ho-Oh.jpg

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band

Ability: Regenerator

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Sacred Fire

- Brave Bird

- Earthquake

- Iron Head

The main player, I have found two key plays for Ho-oh either lead or wait to clear and then sweep. In earlier ranks I found it very beneficial to open up and dynomax on leads were Ho-oh has a advantage to push momentum. However in later rankings especially with Regieleki leads I have found it best to take out all of the opposing checks. Once threats such as zapdos, Regieleki have been removed Ho-oh is often able to sweep as long as it has been persevered with enough HP.

If anything my main weakness with the overall team is that it does not always seem to give Ho-Oh the best chance to sweep. Ho-oh seems to really work some games then not work at others. I arent sure if this is becuase the team is failing to remove some of the major counters or if the sets do just not fit.

Tyranitar.png

Tyranitar @ Weakness Policy

Ability: Sand Stream

Level: 50

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Stone Edge

- Crunch

- Earthquake

- Fire Punch

I added Tyranitar as a wall to remove many of the threats that Ho-oh cannot remove such as electric types and Yevtal. I feel that out of all the pokemon I use this one the least. On a couple of occasions especially against weakened teams I have found use of where Tyranitar can really abuse the weakness policy and especially when Dynomaxed as the coverage deals with a lot of threats bar bulky waters which this team is especially weak too. I also have found Weakness policy when used well timed it can really make or break the team giving it at times a much needed power boost.

0bb20fee184066cfa6069262f589b5f0.png

Quagsire @ Leftovers

Ability: Unaware

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

Relaxed Nature

- Scald

- Earthquake

- Recover

- Toxic

Probably one of the most important Pokémon on this team, able to stall out ditto and to stop those that abuse stat boosts. It deals with the vast amount of these pokemon, however I do feel at times too much pressure is put on this team member. I find it often useful to poison major threats and ware them down to the extent that Ho-oh or another attacker can finish them off. While i have said that i dislike stall and i really do Quagsire is also very useful at dealing with the stall pokemon in the meta. I find sometimes trying to out-stall stall is my best option. I also find the burns and poison useful in wearing down other pokemon in order for Ho-oh or others to take a hit better or for the damage to mount up.

Dracovish @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Strong Jaw

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Fishious Rend

- Outrage

- Psychic Fangs

- Sleep Talk

This pokemon makes the team for the sheer usefulness of it, able to deal with lots of powerful dragon, fire, and other threats to the team. Fishious rend is almost like click and your done, especially against threats that attempt to outspeed the team or sometimes when I need to just knock out a pokemon that is slower and bulky. I also find that Dracovish does very well against a lot of stealth rock setters and I therefore often have a lot of use for it in the team.

nihilego.jpg

Nihilego @ Power Herb

Ability: Beast Boost

EVs: 72 HP / 4 Def / 176 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

- Meteor Beam

- Sludge Wave

- Grass Knot

- Thunderbolt

More a utility pick than anything, something that deals with fairy Pokémon and also can gain effective stat boosts in beast boost, often coming in on weakened pokemon a power herb meteor beam and a kill on a zapdos or Cinderace which are ever common. I find that this has come in useful on a few occasions. I find that especially if it can get the two stat boosts and dynamx it is verry often stopped unless there is a counter with full health on the opposing team.

Tapu_Koko_(Anime).png

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb

Ability: Electric Surge

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

- Thunderbolt

- Dazzling Gleam

- Grass Knot

- Volt Switch

For the last pick in the team i picked Tapu Koko this seems to deal with the main issues of Toxapex, Lapras a range of other water type pokemon that otherwise can wall and wipe out the team. I often find that koko and effectively deal with these threats which on many occasions allow ho-oh or more recently Nihielgo to sweep late game. i also find koko to be very useful in having volt switch as it is very easy to use as a pivot which is very useful for this team in order to deal with the many threats and to be able to adapt and switch quickly.

Overall I think that the team has a few good starting points that have allowed me to do ok. However maybe due to lack of ability, skill or abit of both I currently am at a block. I just don’t seem to know where to go. When I have made the team more offensive it seems to be over run by stall. Then when I try to bulk it up it seems far to weak to really push and allow ho-oh or the others to sweep. I am open to any suggestion that might allow the team to push and become more powerful.

Any help is much appreciate and anything that you think of let me know.
The import for the team is bellow
HO-OH offensive team (pokepast.es)

Last edited:

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Hey, cool team! Quagsire + Ho-oh + Tyranitar is a very good starting point to your team. However, I'm a bit concerned by your lack of effective Water resistances. For how weak your team is to special water moves (3 weaknesses, 2 Pokemon with no special bulk) your Water resist is quite flimsy and don't provide your team with best counterplay. For example, you are struggling against a standard Scarf Kyogre, which 3HKOs Dracovish with Water Spout, and Dracovish will not 2HKO with Fishious Rend not being boosted with Scarf Kyogre being faster than Scarf Dracovish.

I think it might depend on how you are intending to move on, but I think a Choice Band Rillaboom or Specially Defensive Ferrothorn makes a lot more sense than Koko on this team as your Water check. For one they actually resist water, and Rillaboom threatens way more damage on Lapras than Koko could ever dream of. Rillaboom also has U-turn for momentum.

If using CB Rillaboom, in order to circumvent Item clause you'd put the Life Orb or Heavy Duty Boots on Ho-oh. Boots is a good item on Ho-Oh, because you'd rather bring it to all matchups instead of playing without your restricted in fear of Rocks, but with both Dracovish and Rillaboom, if you are confident in your ability to not let up offensive pressure you can deny Stealth Rocks for a while. Then, Life Orb makes Ho-Oh a much better Dynamax user, which is great given its STAB Max Airstream. If you choose to go with Specially Defensive Leech Seed + Protect Ferrothorn, I would put boots on Ho-oh, give it more bulk and Recover, and with the item clause conflict with Quagsire, I'd put Rocky Helmet on the Quagsire.

Those are some initial tweaks I would try out. See which one works for you!

Cheers,

Thank you both for the replies and i have taken both on board.
first of all i decided to as you stated remove Koko, i tried both Choice Band Rillaboom or Specially Defensive Ferrothorn and for my play style and the pressure that CB Rillaboom emits. i found that a set of worked best

Rillaboom-Gmax @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Superpower

after trying SD Ferrothorn i found while it did deal with bulky water pokemon well it did not mount the pressure that i felt was needed in the team. Rillaboom came in and did just that, it was able to deal with bulky waters and also offered priority in grassy glide. This alongside Ho-oh and Dracovish seemed win many a match due to the fact that many pokemon simply could not swap in. I added the fighting move in order to cover as Ho-oh already carried EQ and to deal with many dark and ghost threats.

overall i found it effective at dealing with alot of the issues that the team had especially around bulky waters that before ran rampant against the team. and Quagisre is still doing very well against opponents stall teams.

the main two issues i have found in the recent trials with the team is around a lead and Nihilego
i have found myself in a few pickles not having a lead at times has meant that i have over predicted the opponents lead or under predicted again this could just be my game play but i have also found that Nihilego's usage is situational at best to deal with fairy types. I have attempted to try other leads or other pokemon in place of this however i have not been convinced by any of these. In a few matches it has been affected however i also dont feel it pairs great with other mons. I could be wrong in this but any suggestions on others to try let me know.

overall the message is a positive one with me finding it alot easier to break down teams

Fighting doesn't help w/ ghosts, you mean Knock Off helps w/ ghosts yes?

If some lead and Nihilego are trouble I was thinking you could run Psyshock over Grass Knot on your Nihilego for mirrors.

Also you use the word 'affected' when you mean 'effective' this can make it hard to read correctly so try to use the right word!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)