Hitmontop (Technician + Rapid Spin)

THIS THREAD IS GOING TO BE LOCKED, BUT FEEL FREE TO TAKE WHATEVER YOU WANT FROM THIS THREAD!

Anyway, here's the post that I had:

Yes, I know. Very creative title. Anyway, I will be busy for the next 1 1/2 weeks, so I will make edits whenever I can. Enjoy!

[SET]
name: UU Technispin
move 1: Rapid Spin
move 2: Mach Punch/Low Kick
move 3: Aerial Ace
move 4: Sucker Punch/Stone Edge
item: Leftovers/Life Orb
nature: Adamant
ability: Technician
evs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> This set combines the utility provided by the Rapid Spin set with the type coverage of the Technitop set to give a set that helps clear the way for other Pokemon to sweep. The nature and EVs are spread so Hitmontop reaches its full offensive potential, with the last 4 EVs put into HP to give Hitmontop a tiny amount of bulk. Rapid Spin is obligatory, as Hitmontop is mainly used for preparing a sweep for others such as Moltres, who would otherwise be hurt on the switch-in. Mach Punch is a great move on this set, giving it a STAB and Technician-boosted move to work off of. However, Low Kick is also an option, as its power can help to hurt many common Pokemon. Aerial Ace is greatly needed, as it improves Hitmontop’s coverage, while also serving as a way to deal with switching-in Venusaur who attempt to wall this set. The final move is up to the player using the Technispin set. Sucker Punch allows Hitmontop to punish Alakazams who attempt to revenge-kill it. However, Stone Edge is an effective way to kill enemy Moltres, Arcanines, and Swellows. As for the item, Leftovers is preferred, as they allow Hitmontop to survive longer against enemy threats. Life Orb is also an option, as it gives Hitmontop a boost in power for its attacks. However, Life Orb also wastes 10% of the spinning top’s HP to boost Rapid Spin’s power, which is never used as a main sweeping move.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p> Venusaur is a great partner to a Technispin Hitmontop, as Hitmontop lures and kills many Pokemon that would otherwise hinder Venusaur’s sweep, such as Alakazam and opposing Venusaur. Additionally, Milotics are fond of coming in to stop Hitmontop’s wraith, but are easily dealt with by Venusaur. Moltres also loves the presence of Technispin Hitmontop, because of its Rapid Spin and ability to weaken the entire opponent team. Alakazam is yet another fan, because Hitmontop can crush any Steels and Darks(excluding Spiritomb) in its path, while also luring in the likes of Weezing, which Alakazam crushes without mercy. As for moves, Revenge and Close Combat can be used in either of the two final spots. Revenge is the more prefered of the two, as it gets STAB and Technician boosts. However, using either of the two in one of the last slots can be dangerous, as it loses out on either potentially useful coverage (Aerial Ace) or countering potential threats(Sucker Punch/Stone Edge).</p>

I've used Rapid Spin on offensive Top before too and people hardly see it comming, so I like that idea.
I do think however, that Close Combat should go over Aerial Ace. You can slash Aerial Ace into the last slot but I suggest you just mention it in AC.

EDIT: Since there already is a set like this on site, I would just mention Rapid Spin there instead of making an entire new set.

I do see where you're coming from with Close Combat, Delko. However, one advantage that Aerial Ace has is coverage. Without AA, Venusaurs will completely stop this in their tracks. Also, AA provides a reliable move against Mismagius without having to rely on Sucker Punch. Besides, Close Combat lowers Defense and Special Defense, which lowers Hitmontop's survivability rate (yes, it does have one). Additionally, there already is a great Fighting move in Mach Punch, which helps a lot with battles. Finally, I believe that people should try this set before recommending changes. I've used this set since my first team, and I've found that the moves listed are the best choices for it. Still, thanks for your comments!

Since you asked so nicely, I shall test this set ^^, but I still have some comments:

Aerial Ace might suprise Venusaur switch-ins because you run max speed (which is actually quite redundant because 2 of your moves are priority) but I still think STAB Close Combat is the better option here. You could also use Revenge (gets Technician boost) but then you should use less speed to make it effective. And if you do that this set is the same as the one currently on site with the exception of Rapid Spin.

Also this is an offensive Hitmontop so the defense drop from Close Combat doesn't really matter. If you want a more defensive version you are better of with the bulky spinner set which has Intimidate.

I edited in Revenge and (without much fanfare) Close Combat to the Additional Comments. However, one thing about this set is the amount of coverage that it gets from Mach Punch, Aerial Ace, and either Sucker Punch or Stone Edge. To me, that's pretty good.

Any more edits?

I don't really think there can be an 'offensive' Hitmontop spinner without Close Combat. It should at least be slashed into the set, or mentioned somewhere in the set comments.

And I honestly don't see how this really performs better than Hitmonlee, who has much more power and Speed. Sure, it may have some bulk behind it, but an 'offensive' spinner doesn't necessarily need to take hard hits, just dish them out.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Yeah as it's currently presented this set is pretty much completely outclassed by Hitmonlee (why does Hitmontop need that much speed...?)

Shove most of those Spe EVs into HP though and it's no longer outclassed, being able to perform a lot of the wallbreaker abilities of Hitmonlee (at least against slower things) while not dying to a stiff wind. You definitely need a better Fighting STAB than Mach Punch though. Hitmontop can easily run Low Kick and Revenge efficiently due to Technician. Low Kick will have either 80, 90 (60 BP boosted), 100, or 120 BP nearly all the time, while Revenge fluctuates between 90 BP and 120 BP at the cost of always making you move last. I can understand that Aerial Ace is there to hit Venusaur and it actually does a decent job of hurting it, so you'll probably have to replace Sucker Punch/Stone Edge (neither of which are particularly useful anyway).

This looks like a pretty good set. I would agree that I dont seet the point of that much speed. I think a better Ev spread would be 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe. I think this fills a niche of a bulky offensive spinner. It outclasses Kabutotops, and Hitmonlee because it's much bulkier. As for moveset changes, I second Low kick as the move for the 2nd slot. I am a bit skeptical on Aerial ace though. I think Sucker Punch and Stone Edge should fill the last two slots.

this set doesnt have any particular adaptations that make it better at spinning (such as foresight or toxic or rest). mentioning rapid spin in the set comments of the current technician set works just as well.

QC Reject 1/2

but, feel free to write up a short paragraph / a few sentences which can be inserted into the technitop analysis. note that this hitmontop update is almost done, so you'll want to make your paragraph fit into that rather than into what's currently on-site.

I edited in the EVs along with the mention of Revenge and Close Combat. Still, read below:

@whistle: I actually didn't know there was a Hitmontop update going on currently. Thanks for the suggestion, and I'll make sure to contribute my ideas to that. Also, you can move this to the rejected analyses forum, since this will essentially become a little useless.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their comments! I actually learned a little about editing from this experience. For anyone else who reads this, feel free to use this set at your leisure.

And now, you may move this thread, whistle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)