Hilarious NPC Quotes

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
wtf is she doing that needs so many new notebooks?

We are animals. Also, why would it be dogs? Why wouldn't it be like ycagle or something random?
For convenience's sake. The Pokémon world apparently has all or a lot of the same languages as ours so I don't find it too farfetched to believe that they just coincidentally came up with the same words we did to classify the living beings in their world

I don't get why that's a weird quote? I mean it sounds a little unnatural as dialogue, but that's true of most random trainer quotes. Are people reading "harassing" and inferring a more serious meaning than just 'being a public nuisance' or 'intimidating passersby'?

...do people think all harassment is sexual harassment???

Last edited:
"I like harassing people with my vicious POKéMON!" - Random Biker in Pokémon Yellow, Cycling Road.

What ?_? just gonna casually say this in a Pokémon game?? Okay then.
I guess the quote wasn't that malicious back when Pokémon Yellow was release. Remember, it was much easier to get away with inappropriate statements back then compared to the present. Lots of "inappropriate" quotes were actually edited in the newer games, such as the one from the peeking old man in front of the Celadon City gym, which in effect, make the NPCs less interesting imo.

I mean, out of context it really sounds weird, not gonna lie.

I didn't know Schezo from Puyo Puyo was a Biker.

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Lysandre:
"I would like to congratulate you as well. Mega Evolution is something I, too, would like to be able to use.
True. I'm a descendant of the king's younger brother. That being said, that story is 3,000 years old, so it might not be entirely reliable.
People can be divided into two groups. Those who give... And those who take... It's just as how the Kalos region's two Legendary Pokémon gave life and took life.
I want to be the kind of person who gives... But in this world, some foolish humans exist who would show their strength by taking what isn't theirs.
They're filth!
Long, long ago, the king of Kalos sought to take everything for his own, and he created a terrible weapon. Then the fire of destruction was unleashed... That is the legend that has been passed down.
Kalos is beautiful right now! There will be no foolish actions if the number of people and Pokémon do not increase. That being said, the future isn't decided. You can't be sure each day will be like the one before.
What the king of Kalos did was reprehensible, but... The ultimate weapon did manage to wash the world clean of that era's filth.
Thank you for listening. Take that as an apology for my taking up your time."

Sycamore:
"What a passionate person. He's just like a blazing flame. Perhaps his pride in his lineage is what makes him burn so intensely."

================================================================================================================

Uh... Scyamore? Fam, did you not listen to a single thing he just said?

Lysandre:
"I would like to congratulate you as well. Mega Evolution is something I, too, would like to be able to use.
True. I'm a descendant of the king's younger brother. That being said, that story is 3,000 years old, so it might not be entirely reliable.
People can be divided into two groups. Those who give... And those who take... It's just as how the Kalos region's two Legendary Pokémon gave life and took life.
I want to be the kind of person who gives... But in this world, some foolish humans exist who would show their strength by taking what isn't theirs.
They're filth!
Long, long ago, the king of Kalos sought to take everything for his own, and he created a terrible weapon. Then the fire of destruction was unleashed... That is the legend that has been passed down.
Kalos is beautiful right now! There will be no foolish actions if the number of people and Pokémon do not increase. That being said, the future isn't decided. You can't be sure each day will be like the one before.
What the king of Kalos did was reprehensible, but... The ultimate weapon did manage to wash the world clean of that era's filth.
Thank you for listening. Take that as an apology for my taking up your time."

Sycamore:
"What a passionate person. He's just like a blazing flame. Perhaps his pride in his lineage is what makes him burn so intensely."

================================================================================================================

I never really thought about this, but Lysandre is basically just redheaded Thanos.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not necessarily hilarious for what's actually said, but it's funny to see a Trainer in-universe actually acknowledge a type's weakness and why a certain type is weak to another certain type. In this case, why Dragon is weak to Ice.

A Dragon Tamer in Glaseado Mountain in SV:
"The body temperatures of most Dragon-types vary greatly with their environment. That's why they don't handle ice and snow all that well."

Essentially since Dragons have such volatile body temperatures, something like ice that is so cold that it harshly drops their body temperature in a forceful manner would be strong against them, hence why Ice hits them super effectively.

Chief among them being Dragon/Flying types like Dragonite and Salamence who spend time in various altitudes and thus are exposed to various temperatures, and the Dragon/Ground Garchomp, whose evolutionary line originated in the tropics and in warm caves and cannot stand cold as a result.

The main exceptions to the rule being Dragons who have a second type that resists Fire, but chief among them actual ice dragons like Kyurem and the Frigibax line, who are dragons that have mastery over the power of ice and cold energy: Kyurem literally radiates freezing cold around it, and the Frigibax line, including its evolutions Arctibax and Baxcalibur, are built not only to survive in the cold but also literally create cold energy by using their back fins as a heat exchanger, absorbing warm heat and then releasing it as cold ice energy to create a colder environment, basically making their own habitat cold.

But it's a pretty funny in-universe thing because never would you think that a type interaction would actually be given an explanation in-universe.

Not necessarily hilarious for what's actually said, but it's funny to see a Trainer in-universe actually acknowledge a type's weakness and why a certain type is weak to another certain type. In this case, why Dragon is weak to Ice.

A Dragon Tamer in Glaseado Mountain in SV:
"The body temperatures of most Dragon-types vary greatly with their environment. That's why they don't handle ice and snow all that well."

Essentially since Dragons have such volatile body temperatures, something like ice that is so cold that it harshly drops their body temperature in a forceful manner would be strong against them, hence why Ice hits them super effectively.

Chief among them being Dragon/Flying types like Dragonite and Salamence who spend time in various altitudes and thus are exposed to various temperatures, and the Dragon/Ground Garchomp, whose evolutionary line originated in the tropics and in warm caves and cannot stand cold as a result.

The main exceptions to the rule being Dragons who have a second type that resists Fire, but chief among them actual ice dragons like Kyurem and the Frigibax line, who are dragons that have mastery over the power of ice and cold energy: Kyurem literally radiates freezing cold around it, and the Frigibax line, including its evolutions Arctibax and Baxcalibur, are built not only to survive in the cold but also literally create cold energy by using their back fins as a heat exchanger, absorbing warm heat and then releasing it as cold ice energy to create a colder environment, basically making their own habitat cold.

But it's a pretty funny in-universe thing because never would you think that a type interaction would actually be given an explanation in-universe.
That explanation bothers me because it implies all Dragon types are inherently cold blooded, like real world reptiles. While there are some Dragon types that this would make sense, like Goomy, Dratini, and Flygon, a lot of Dragon types should have adaptations to resist the cold. Altaria is covered in warm feathers and flies at high altitudes, Drampa lives in cold mountains, and dinosaurs are most likely believed to be warm blooded, like birds, so dragons like Tyrunt and Haxorus should be able to regulate their body temperatures. It's like how Flying types are weak to Electric moves due to being in the air, but doesn't account the Pokemon to just stand on the ground. Just more ways to create a type chart than anything else.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
"I like harassing people with my vicious POKéMON!" - Random Biker in Pokémon Yellow, Cycling Road.

What ?_? just gonna casually say this in a Pokémon game?? Okay then.
Well the guy who said that looks like this:

He looks like a guy who'll send out his Pokemon to harass people (especially those who wonder onto his group's "turf" which is the case of the Cycling Road). And note in Gen I most Bikers used the Koffing and Grimer line (with only one on the Cycling Road that uses two Voltorbs), so sounds like the harassment they're doing is having their Pokemon blow smoke or releasing a foul odor (or, in the Voltorb guys case, actually shocking people).

Not sure if anyone else has highlighted this but I love Kiawe's "But but HOW" during his trial, as if the answers to the dances weren't extremely obvious.
I wonder if the joke there is that Kiawe tells you to observe the dances, which are the same, that he himself completely misses that at the end either the Marowak are in different poses or an additional element added themselves in. It's why he gives you the option to see the dance again even though the dance doesn't matter, that's what he's (too) focused on.

Obligatory.

Though being serious, the way Sycamore ignores/pushes aside Lysandre's "genocide positive" rant reminds me how Malva praised Lysandre. Makes me wonder if at one point they were maybe considering having Sycamore a member of Team Flare; do a sort of "deep conspiracy" plot point where you didn't know who official you could trust or not. But I guess they just weren't ready to do the antagonistic Professor plot point yet (which they still haven't), or being Sycamore is the only Professor in Kalos we meet there would be no one to replace his duties aside from a nameless scientist which works in his lab.

I never really thought about this, but Lysandre is basically just redheaded Thanos.
Sorta but also not really. While both want to do mass genocide for the sake of "cleaning things up", they do have different goals in mind: Thanos is obsess with "balance" so not only does he want to wipe out exactly half the universe but it'll be an equal amount of "good" and "bad" people who are either blipped or remain. Meanwhile Lysandre just plans on only having those who are members of Team Flare remain (and be granted eternal life), everyone else (and all Pokemon) are to be wiped out. Both are obviously insane and want to do evil acts which involves the death of many so need to be stopped, but I wouldn't call the two the same.

Would like to see them take a crack at explaining more of the obscure Type interactions, especially anything relating to Bug.

That explanation bothers me because it implies all Dragon types are inherently cold blooded, like real world reptiles. While there are some Dragon types that this would make sense, like Goomy, Dratini, and Flygon, a lot of Dragon types should have adaptations to resist the cold. Altaria is covered in warm feathers and flies at high altitudes, Drampa lives in cold mountains, and dinosaurs are most likely believed to be warm blooded, like birds, so dragons like Tyrunt and Haxorus should be able to regulate their body temperatures. It's like how Flying types are weak to Electric moves due to being in the air, but doesn't account the Pokemon to just stand on the ground. Just more ways to create a type chart than anything else.
There's always going to be exceptions as the Type Chart simply serves as a game mechanic, not a real life biological function. The best that can be done in those cases if give individual explanations why the Pokemon is weak to the Types they are even if flavor-wise it doesn't make sense the normal ways.

Like for Altaria and Drampa, yes, they live in a cold environment and have thus developed protection from the cold, but Ice-type Moves is concentrated cold energy that temperature goes WAY below freezing and is either being sent toward a target as a projectile or sudden physical contact at high speeds/great force. Altaria isn't bothered by cold updrafts or Drampa bothered by a snowstorm, but targeted by a -100 C beam of piercing cold or hit by a punch that's generating a massive amount of frost? Similar how Pokemon weak to Water are fine in the rain or some being submerged; it's not the water itself which hurts its assume they have biological defenses for that, but the water being forcefully used against them which overload these defenses or disturb a biologically system.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
After reading a post in the Little things you like thread about an NPC's quote in the Rock Tunnel in Gen 1, one other NPC (a Hiker) in the Rock Tunnel stood out to me in my recent Kanto VC playthroughs.

Before battle: "Hit me with your best shot!"
After battle: "Fired away!"

Both lines are a reference to the popular 80's pop/rock song "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" by Pat Benatar:

The song itself is insanely catchy but pop culture references in Pokemon like this are always amusing.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
After reading a post in the Little things you like thread about an NPC's quote in the Rock Tunnel in Gen 1, one other NPC (a Hiker) in the Rock Tunnel stood out to me in my recent Kanto VC playthroughs.

Before battle: "Hit me with your best shot!"
After battle: "Fired away!"

Both lines are a reference to the popular 80's pop/rock song "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" by Pat Benatar:

The song itself is insanely catchy but pop culture references in Pokemon like this are always amusing.
(Huh, seems the above post was moved here, but not my response to it. So I'll move it here myself)

Obligatory mention of the Team Plasma Grunt(?) in White yelling "Burn, baby, burn!" as you're going up Dragonspiral Tower. Sadly Black has the grunt(?) yelling "It's shocking!" instead of the obvious "It's electrifying!", come on translators!

I DEMAND that this is fixed if they remake Black & White! It's the most glaring issue in these games... and some of the Evolution Levels of certain later game Pokemon, can lower those a bit too.

What’s so funny?
It took me a while to understand too, but I think the idea is that this line has ~risqué~ implications. In my experience, if any NPC (but especially a female one) ever talks about 'having fun' with the player character, a certain segment of Pokemon fans immediately infer something vaguely sexual. Often it's cloaked in a layer of irony or self-deprecation (e.g. "I know I have a dirty mind, but..."), but it still strikes me as a little weird.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It took me a while to understand too, but I think the idea is that this line has ~risqué~ implications. In my experience, if any NPC (but especially a female one) ever talks about 'having fun' with the player character, a certain segment of Pokemon fans immediately infer something vaguely sexual. Often it's cloaked in a layer of irony or self-deprecation (e.g. "I know I have a dirty mind, but..."), but it still strikes me as a little weird.
Honestly its the way the eyes look when she says it that throws me off.

Lets be real though, Pokemon and all game developers have been doing this stuff for years and not by accident.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)