Hilarious NPC Quotes

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
View attachment 415237
View attachment 415238
I have the humor of a 10 year old. ORAS changed the Dewford trendy sayings so you can't have "ADULT ANIME, MANGA, or GAMES", but you can have "Brightpowder Parties" instead.

This reminds me of a similar thing I did in Emerald; I was trying to think of a rude phrase for my trainer card introduction, but the best I could do was "I enjoy adult toys". Yes, it's feeble but I feel like I did well with the options available.

In GSC, there's a pair of Trainers on Route 35 who are boyfriend and girlfriend.

The boyfriend before battle: "I'm gonna show my girlfriend I'm hot stuff!"
The boyfriend after battle: "I was humiliated in front of my girlfriend..."
The girlfriend before battle: "My boyfriend is weak, so I can't rely on him."
The girlfriend after battle: "I can count on my Pokémon more than my boyfriend."

In BW1 there's an old couple living in Striaton City. Here's what they say:

The husband: "The beginning of my relationship with my wife was our Pokémon battles. I could not defeat her, even though I tried many times!"
The wife: "My husband and I are compatible... because he cannot beat me in battle!"

Also in SM in Melemele Meadow, there's one young couple:

The boyfriend: "My girlfriend always disappears somewhere. Maybe she's the type who can't help wandering off when she spots something interesting?"
The girlfriend: "Hee hee! He's looking for me! It makes me so happy to see him search for me. It's proof of how much he loves me! Keep looking for me, baby!"

These are all different variants of couples in the Pokémon world, but the prevailing theme? It seems the norm for couples in the Pokémon world is that women have the upper hand in the dynamic compared to men. You have a couple where the girl is the stronger trainer, so much so that she claims she cannot rely on her boyfriend (and her boyfriend has to rely on her), you have an old couple whose relationship is that the wife is absolutely the better Trainer and always prevails against her husband in battle, and a young couple where the girlfriend is actively toying with her boyfriend's feelings.

Malewife and girlboss couples are pretty much the actual norm in the world of Pokémon, in many ways, and I like that a lot. It's pretty funny and likable to me.
Old Couple John and Jay in Meteor Falls have a similar vibe: the wife says that whenever they have a dispute, they resolve it with a battle; the husband rather sadly says that he's never yet managed to defeat her. Fittingly, she has a Medicham and he has a Hariyama.

View attachment 415237
View attachment 415238
I have the humor of a 10 year old. ORAS changed the Dewford trendy sayings so you can't have "ADULT ANIME, MANGA, or GAMES", but you can have "Brightpowder Parties" instead.
Yeah as soon as I got to Dewford in my first Omega Ruby playthrough I checked the phrase kid and found that I could tell him all about 'Ether parties' which has a similar vibe haha.

In GSC, there's a pair of Trainers on Route 35 who are boyfriend and girlfriend.

The boyfriend before battle: "I'm gonna show my girlfriend I'm hot stuff!"
The boyfriend after battle: "I was humiliated in front of my girlfriend..."
The girlfriend before battle: "My boyfriend is weak, so I can't rely on him."
The girlfriend after battle: "I can count on my Pokémon more than my boyfriend."

In BW1 there's an old couple living in Striaton City. Here's what they say:

The husband: "The beginning of my relationship with my wife was our Pokémon battles. I could not defeat her, even though I tried many times!"
The wife: "My husband and I are compatible... because he cannot beat me in battle!"

Also in SM in Melemele Meadow, there's one young couple:

The boyfriend: "My girlfriend always disappears somewhere. Maybe she's the type who can't help wandering off when she spots something interesting?"
The girlfriend: "Hee hee! He's looking for me! It makes me so happy to see him search for me. It's proof of how much he loves me! Keep looking for me, baby!"

These are all different variants of couples in the Pokémon world, but the prevailing theme? It seems the norm for couples in the Pokémon world is that women have the upper hand in the dynamic compared to men. You have a couple where the girl is the stronger trainer, so much so that she claims she cannot rely on her boyfriend (and her boyfriend has to rely on her), you have an old couple whose relationship is that the wife is absolutely the better Trainer and always prevails against her husband in battle, and a young couple where the girlfriend is actively toying with her boyfriend's feelings.

Malewife and girlboss couples are pretty much the actual norm in the world of Pokémon, in many ways, and I like that a lot. It's pretty funny and likable to me.
More examples to add:
In Legends: Arceus Palina and Iscan definitely fit this vibe. While both show vulnerability, Palina seems more competent and serious while Iscan is the scaredy-cat.

The Winstrates in RSE/ORAS kinda follow this pattern, with the husband being the weakest of the four. You can also find a couple on the Abandoned Ship named Hal and Lois, a clear reference to a famous fictional malewife/girlboss couple. Plus Peeko and Mr. Briney of course.

Also it's a little tenuous but in HGSS when you interrupt Misty's date the guy literally runs away lmao.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Kalos people always think everything in Kalos is only in Kalos!
Like trainer customization, at least according to the devs regarding ORAS.
-
"It's only a hypothesis, but I think the bond between Pokémon and Trainer is the key to this new Evolution. But what is this bond, exactly? And why are there examples of Mega Evolution only in the Kalos region? There's still so much we don't know..."
- Professor Sycamore, proving his last statement very much correct

Does the Pokedex count as an NPC? I say yes.

With the reintroduction of Sawsbuck's seasonal forms in Scarlet and Violet, we finally have Pokedex entries for each individual form.
:ss/sawsbuck:
"There are many Sawsbuck enthusiasts. The paler the pink flowers that bloom on its antlers, the more beautiful the Sawsbuck is considered to be."

:ss/sawsbuck-summer:
"There are many Sawsbuck enthusiasts. The thicker and larger the branches and leaves on its antlers, the more majestic the Sawsbuck is thought to be."

:ss/sawsbuck-autumn:
"There are many Sawsbuck enthusiasts. The darker the red of the foliage that hangs from its antlers, the more stylish the Sawsbuck is thought to be."

:ss/sawsbuck-winter:
"Though there are many enthusiasts for Sawsbuck as a species, this seasonal form in particular is not very popular."

Deerling has a similar set of entries that talk about how each form has a distinct smell except for Winter, but that's not nearly as funny as "Sawsbuck enthusiasts" who think Winter Sawsbuck sucks. Though Deerling did get an entry that I found amusing.
:ss/deerling:
"Despite Deerling's adorable appearance, farmers consider it a nuisance since it loves plant shoots and will eat them all up."
It's rare that media accurately depicts deer as the bastards they are.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Does the Pokedex count as an NPC? I say yes.

With the reintroduction of Sawsbuck's seasonal forms in Scarlet and Violet, we finally have Pokedex entries for each individual form.
:ss/sawsbuck:
"There are many Sawsbuck enthusiasts. The paler the pink flowers that bloom on its antlers, the more beautiful the Sawsbuck is considered to be."

:ss/sawsbuck-summer:
"There are many Sawsbuck enthusiasts. The thicker and larger the branches and leaves on its antlers, the more majestic the Sawsbuck is thought to be."

:ss/sawsbuck-autumn:
"There are many Sawsbuck enthusiasts. The darker the red of the foliage that hangs from its antlers, the more stylish the Sawsbuck is thought to be."

:ss/sawsbuck-winter:
"Though there are many enthusiasts for Sawsbuck as a species, this seasonal form in particular is not very popular."

Deerling has a similar set of entries that talk about how each form has a distinct smell except for Winter, but that's not nearly as funny as "Sawsbuck enthusiasts" who think Winter Sawsbuck sucks. Though Deerling did get an entry that I found amusing.
:ss/deerling:
"Despite Deerling's adorable appearance, farmers consider it a nuisance since it loves plant shoots and will eat them all up."
It's rare that media accurately depicts deer as the bastards they are.
In general, I’m loving the dex entries in SV so far (haven’t completed yet, being quite lazy). Remember the sad old days when they were copypasted from the mon’s original game/previous game? *shudders*

Koraidon's signature move's desciption: The user transforms and crashes to the ground, causing a massive prehistoric explosion. This move’s power is boosted more than usual if it’s a supereffective hit.
Koraidon, if you're basically a dinosaur yourself, why would you make them go extinct? :facepalm:

Also:
"Houndstone spends most of its time sleeping in graveyards. Among all the dog Pokémon, this one is most loyal to its master."
If this is Pokemon, how do they now what a dog is?

Last edited:
Pokémon are the equivalent to animals in this world, they probably classify Pokémon into groups such as cats, dogs, birds, fish, etc just like we do with animals.
We are animals. Also, why would it be dogs? Why wouldn't it be like ycagle or something random?

In general, I’m loving the dex entries in SV so far (haven’t completed yet, being quite lazy). Remember the sad old days when they were copypasted from the mon’s original game/previous game? *shudders*
As someone has slowly, oh so slowly, been noting this, this varies game to game.
Cliff notes that excludes any specific weird oddities:
Gen 2 gave everyone 3 distinct entries
RSE have 3 distinct entries if you're in the Hoenn dex. If you're a natdex pokemon you got one new entry
FR had a new entry for the first 151 and reused the RB entry for LG. Gen 2 pokemon used their Gold or Silver entries. Gen 3 got one, shared new entry except for Deoxys who got a unique one in each game.
DP gave 2 entries if you were in the Sinnoh Dex or were Darkrai, Shaymin & Arceus. Everyone else, including the Sinnoh evolutions not in the dex, only got one new entry. Platinum gave everyone in the Sinnoh Dex (& the 3 Mythics + Phione this time) a new entry, everyone else reused their DP entry.
HGSS reused GS entries for Gen 1 & 2; Gen 3 & 4 got one new entry shared across both games.
BW1 had 2 entries for all Gen 5 pokemon; everyone else reused their Platinum entry (or DP, as the case usually was).
BW2 had 1 shared entry for all Unova Dex pokemon; everyone else still reused Platinum(/DP).
XY only had new entries for the Gen 6 pokemon for each game, grabbing various entries for everyone else (different for each version).
ORAS reused all entries for the Gen 1-3 Pokemon from RS except for Kyogre, Groudon & Rayquaza who all got new entries in each game. Gen 4-6 Pokemon reused their entries from XY (respectively) except for Hoopa who got a new entry in each (You would think Diancie also would but no).
If you are in the Alola Dex you got a distinct entry in all four Alola games, which also was carried to all alternate forms. Since the games had no National Dex, you got nothing otherwise.
Let's Go reused Yellow's entries for both games except for Pikachu & Eevee; alternate forms along side Meltan & Melmetal got new entries.
SWSH I have made a (slightly out of date) flow chart

BDSP was 100% reuse from DP
LA had 100% new entries

And now SV, which I have not made a flow chart for yet. But rest assured it also needs one because it is let's just say variable based on many factors

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)