Hilarious NPC Quotes

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Through more of Black 1's playthrough, more funny random NPC quotes:

One NPC in the Nacrene Pokemon Center:

"Hi, Trainer! Do you know a Pokémon called Audino? It's a Pokémon that I sometimes find when I'm walking. It jumps out of rustling grass. I can get a lot of Exp. Points. It's kind of a friendly Pokémon, isn't it?"

Beating up Audinos is a thing in-universe in Unova. In fact, Audino are implied to actually willfully step up to get beaten up by Trainers to help them gain lots of EXP to make their mons stronger.

Another great one in the Nacrene City bar:

"The Striaton City Gym Leaders are a great triplet combo! The Grass-type Pokémon user, Cilan, chooses great tea leaves. The Water-type Pokémon user, Cress, prepares the best water. And the Fire-type Pokémon user, Chili, pours hot water at the right heat. No wonder their tea is the best!"

This is pretty funny in that the three triplets collaborate to brew tea together, not just one person. Not only does this tie in with their type specialties and how the triplets work together to brew the finest tea, and their individual roles in each, but it also parallels the elemental monkeys' respective roles when it comes to cooking, as confirmed by Takao Unno in the interviews posted by Dr. Lava here:

“I came up with the designs for Pansage, Pansear, and Panpour. I was told that the Stration City gym was going to have three gym leaders — one would specialize in Grass, another with Fire, and the last one with Water. So I was the team member tasked with designing these gym leaders’ Pokémon. I was also told that the gym was going to be a restaurant, and that the gym leaders were going to be waiters. So I thought it might be interesting if their signature Pokémon can cook. First, I decided on a Pokémon responsible for carrying vegetables and herbs, then another one will be responsible for the delicious water used in cooking, and the last one will be responsible for monitoring the strength of the cooking flame."

It's pretty obvious who's who: Pansage, the Grass-type, gathers the finest vegetables and herbs, much like how Cilan chooses tea leaves. Panpour, the Water-type, prepares the delicious water for the cooking, much like how Cress prepares the finest water for tea. And Pansear, the Fire-type, prepares the cooking flame so that the cooking is at the right temperature, just like how Chili prepares tea at the right heat.

It's both funny in universe but also because it parallels something the monkeys' designer intended for them: they not only encompass the Grass/Fire/Water triangle, but they encompass it in a way that pertains to cooking and preparing specialties: the Pokémon themselves (the monkeys) do it in regards to cooking food with each doing a role in the cooking process that brings out their type, while the trainers (Cilan, Chili, and Cress) encompass it in regards to tea.

It's beautiful and funny at the same time.

Hau: So, uh, Mr. Faba, do you have the key to the president's rooms?
Faba: Indeed! I have it right here.
Hau: So...if you'd just stayed hidden, we would've been stuck here anyway, right?
Faba: (beat) What?! (salty) E-enough! You lot! Teach these children a lesson!

One of the better exchanges from SM. So when I saw it was removed in USUM, I was sad. However, I restored this in my hack. Savage Hau is back, all.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hau: So, uh, Mr. Faba, do you have the key to the president's rooms?
Faba: Indeed! I have it right here.
Hau: So...if you'd just stayed hidden, we would've been stuck here anyway, right?
Faba: (beat) What?! (salty) E-enough! You lot! Teach these children a lesson!

One of the better exchanges from SM. So when I saw it was removed in USUM, I was sad. However, I restored this in my hack. Savage Hau is back, all.
Don't know why they removed it and replaced is with something that's less funny:

Faba: And that is why! I knew I would be able to ambush you here, just in front of the mansion where the president remains, and remedy my previous failure. The only reason I let you in the lower floor was to buy time to gather more staff to stop you.
Hau: Wow, Mr. Faba! You're so nice!
Faba: W-well...of course... I am a wonderful branch chief, after all!
Hau: We didn't even have to ask you where the president was, and you just confirmed it for us! So the president is up ahead, huh? Thanks! Now we know where to find Cosmog and Lillie!
Faba: What?! E-enough! You lot! Teach these children a lesson!
Heck, I'd even say the new line makes Hau look less smarter & possibly not make sense in context. The original had Hau tricking Faba into revealing he had the key to the Mansion, we wouldn't know that otherwise and Faba could have run away before we realized (though maybe Gladion would have and stopped him; eitherway wasn't needed as Hau outsmarted Faba in outing himself).

But the USUM line, like, we were following Gladion and he was leading us to the mansion so there was little question whether Lusamine, Lillie & Cosmog was there or not. We didn't need Faba confirming it. The line makes it seem like Hau wasn't paying attention. They also still present it like Hau burned Faba which, no, tricking Faba to revealing he had the key & had he hid would have gotten them was a burn, saying Faba confirmed that Gladion was leading them in the right direction is just a statement.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
Today Gardenia visited my villa in Platinum. She said this:

"...I'm in a dilemma now. You see, I don't like ghost Pokemon very much. But, what if... What if there was a Grass-type ghost Pokemon? What then?"

Gardenia canonically fears Ghost Pokemon, sorta like how Misty fears Bug-types in the anime. But she acknowledges the prospect of there being a Grass-type ghost Pokemon. It's funny in hindsight because back then there was no such thing, but now come Gens 6 and 7 we have Phantump, Pumpkaboo, Decidueye, and Dhelmise. It really makes you wonder...now that they do exist, how would Gardenia react if she saw a Phantump or Pumpkaboo, or maybe a Decidueye. Better yet, what about Gourgeist or Trevenant? Alas, we may never get to see it unless Masters somehow acknowledges it (I don't go to Masters so I don't know if it has acknowledged Gardenia's fear of Ghosts).

"...I'm in a dilemma now. You see, I don't like ghost Pokemon very much. But, what if... What if there was a Grass-type ghost Pokemon? What then?"

Gardenia canonically fears Ghost Pokemon, sorta like how Misty fears Bug-types in the anime. But she acknowledges the prospect of there being a Grass-type ghost Pokemon. It's funny in hindsight because back then there was no such thing, but now come Gens 6 and 7 we have Phantump, Pumpkaboo, Decidueye, and Dhelmise. It really makes you wonder...now that they do exist, how would Gardenia react if she saw a Phantump or Pumpkaboo, or maybe a Decidueye. Better yet, what about Gourgeist or Trevenant? Alas, we may never get to see it unless Masters somehow acknowledges it (I don't go to Masters so I don't know if it has acknowledged Gardenia's fear of Ghosts).
I think she'd like Decidueye since nothing about it screams Ghost type compared to others. She might even like Phantump or Pumpakoo because they're cute.

But there's no way in hell she'd like Trevenant or Dhelmise. Especially Dhelmise, that thing is creepy and large as fuck

I made a post in this thread almost 4 years ago about how the little Fairy Tale Girls had some really bizarre trainer quotes (especially in the battle facilities) and it looks like this trend is continuing now with the new Poké Kid trainer class (the kids dressed up as Pikachu and Eevee) in Pokémon Sword & Shield.

In the Battle Tower, there is for example this Poké Kid dressed up as Eevee that describes the "risqué" family situation at home.

Edit: I have not seen these myself in my own game after 500+ battles, so there's a possibility that they might be fake. (Source)

"Kneel down before me! My mum always says that to my dad."

"Mum has this special sugar, she says is not for tea but I put it in my tea anyway."

The "kneel down before me" quote is real (I've seen it in-game), but the "special sugar" one is obviously fake because of the different font.

I think she'd like Decidueye since nothing about it screams Ghost type compared to others. She might even like Phantump or Pumpakoo because they're cute.

But there's no way in hell she'd like Trevenant or Dhelmise. Especially Dhelmise, that thing is creepy and large as fuck
So when you call a large, deadly creature cute it's "normal dog ownership," but when I do it it's "creepy"? I hate these double standards.

I do actually consider Dhelmise to be the cutest Alola mon (though it's a tough call for gen 7 as a whole thanks to Poiple). Despite being larger, it fights in with the likes of Magnemite, Bronzor, Baltoy, and Golett.

I'd take the opposite position. Pumpkaboo, Trevenant, Phantump, and Gourgeist are all very clearly plants, which seems like something that would help her overcome her dislike of Ghosts. Decidueye is more green than plant, while Dhelmise has plants almost as an afterthought.

It did reference it a little with the Sygna Suit Elesa event (she uses Rotom). Nothing about Grass/Ghost types that I've seen, though.

Mario60866iPod13

Banned deucer.
"If I'm wearing a bikini... where do i put my pokeballs? teehee! woman's secret!"-random swimmer from I don't know where.

Gotta love that they got away with that line!
Now that I think of it.... Think of if the character in question was May. May could have a creative way of storing her PokeBalls, like hiding them in her hair or having her Eevee hold them in an inner tube. But this character isn't May. (Though May sure is creative at times)
I wonder if the character designs for random trainers are generic? Maybe this is a fourth wall break to the fact the outside player can't see the individuality of these random trainers, and this random trainer COULD have a plainly simple, obvious carrying case that the outward player doesn't see.

Mario60866iPod13

Banned deucer.
View attachment 415237
View attachment 415238
I have the humor of a 10 year old. ORAS changed the Dewford trendy sayings so you can't have "ADULT ANIME, MANGA, or GAMES", but you can have "Brightpowder Parties" instead.
Wow! That possibility MUST be why they changed the easy chat system! I never noticed that myself even though I tried to use the chat system to write "I HATE WOBBUFFET" (though I never found the word hate)! They must have later realized that the presence of the word adult could have some shocking implications!

Mario60866iPod13

Banned deucer.
"Strong Pokemon. Weak Pokemon. That is the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with the Pokemon they love best."

haha, now that's a good one!
I agree, there's tons of weak Pokemon I love like Eevee, Munchlax, Piplup, and Skitty! Even Sableye is borderline "outright weak".
Karen's quote there is one of my favorite in all Pokemon.

Mario60866iPod13

Banned deucer.
In the anime, May has some shocking attraction to her Eevee!

"Eevee, you're the cutest little thing! And so smart!"
"Eevee, you're cute when you eat, too!"

I can't believe they got away with putting this in a kid's show. When I say stuff like this about my Eevee, LOTS of people get extremely uncomfortable with me.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
In GSC, there's a pair of Trainers on Route 35 who are boyfriend and girlfriend.

The boyfriend before battle: "I'm gonna show my girlfriend I'm hot stuff!"
The boyfriend after battle: "I was humiliated in front of my girlfriend..."
The girlfriend before battle: "My boyfriend is weak, so I can't rely on him."
The girlfriend after battle: "I can count on my Pokémon more than my boyfriend."

In BW1 there's an old couple living in Striaton City. Here's what they say:

The husband: "The beginning of my relationship with my wife was our Pokémon battles. I could not defeat her, even though I tried many times!"
The wife: "My husband and I are compatible... because he cannot beat me in battle!"

Also in SM in Melemele Meadow, there's one young couple:

The boyfriend: "My girlfriend always disappears somewhere. Maybe she's the type who can't help wandering off when she spots something interesting?"
The girlfriend: "Hee hee! He's looking for me! It makes me so happy to see him search for me. It's proof of how much he loves me! Keep looking for me, baby!"

These are all different variants of couples in the Pokémon world, but the prevailing theme? It seems the norm for couples in the Pokémon world is that women have the upper hand in the dynamic compared to men. You have a couple where the girl is the stronger trainer, so much so that she claims she cannot rely on her boyfriend (and her boyfriend has to rely on her), you have an old couple whose relationship is that the wife is absolutely the better Trainer and always prevails against her husband in battle, and a young couple where the girlfriend is actively toying with her boyfriend's feelings.

Malewife and girlboss couples are pretty much the actual norm in the world of Pokémon, in many ways, and I like that a lot. It's pretty funny and likable to me.

These are all different variants of couples in the Pokémon world, but the prevailing theme? It seems the norm for couples in the Pokémon world is that women have the upper hand in the dynamic compared to men. You have a couple where the girl is the stronger trainer, so much so that she claims she cannot rely on her boyfriend (and her boyfriend has to rely on her), you have an old couple whose relationship is that the wife is absolutely the better Trainer and always prevails against her husband in battle, and a young couple where the girlfriend is actively toying with her boyfriend's feelings.

Malewife and girlboss couples are pretty much the actual norm in the world of Pokémon, in many ways, and I like that a lot. It's pretty funny and likable to me.
I'm not sure you can say something is normal based on only 3 data points. However, you can say something is normal based on the fact that it doesn't affect ghost and does less damage to rock and steel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)