High Quality Fanworks

"Pokeloid" versions of songs, like the ones posted a few pages ago where they set the cries of Pokemon to the tune of a song, can be a bit hit or miss because so many of them fall not in the bin of Mathya's compositions where it's a full-on replacement but instead on "we're awkwardly playing the cries in tandem with the otherwise unaltered song". Audio mixing can get a bit out of whack and it's hard to tell if they wanted the pokemon to work as a backing track to the vocal or as an overlay. Bit sloppy most of the time.

This one though, I quite like. Not coincidentally it also had substantial video editing to it

The background cries really go well with the song, the singer still comes through and the on screen text helps sell that they want the cries to compliment the song rather than replace it. They also did a little extra by incorporating certain musical stings and effects from the games. I think it creates a pretty cool effect even if you just have it on in the background.
But the video itself is pretty neat too, with good rhythm on what pokemon to show and how they slide in & out and so forth. And especially shoutout to the cool drawings of Akari, Volo & Cogita (and how Cogita's background pokemon cries are Cynthia's teams). People see Volo, go "anyone going to draw this man insane" and not wait for an answer, god bless.

If you're curious this is the original song, hit the CC for English Lyrics though as you'd imagine they don't quite line up with a Pokemon version.

Or rather, about half of it. The "-loid" meme (you'll see all kinds of franchises doing stuff like this) only focused on the front half and a small bit of the ending, probably since that's the most high energy.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Just watch it and you will understand.
Eh, it was funny at the beginning but toward the middle started falling into the typical "meta referencing" trappings. :blobthinking:

Pointing out that it's weird NPCs are walking around Qwilfish of all Pokemon (and randomly say "how convenient" to nothing) and having two kids poking at it (one noting it's poisonous) is definitely weird and makes you wonder what GF were thinking (at least for the walking NPCs, the kids poking at it is something I can see kids stupidly doing).

But then going down the whole "there's no place to stay here", "all the NPCs look the same" and "you can't enter any of the houses" is no longer leaning against the fourth wall but knocking it down and setting it on fire. The above Qwilfish stuff is something meant to be taken as happening in-world thus its strangeness standing out. The latter stuff is just gameplay limitations.

This guy puts together GB-renditions of songs, but also goes the extra mile and makes battle footage to go with it. This one in particular, for the AI Battle in SV, really goes all out having a battle for both versions and made Super Gameboy-styled borders

Here's a video of them creating the Iron Valiant sprite, too

---
Also, I mentioned it in another thread that wound up talking about Geeta, but this guy has been doing tournaments between Pokemon characters for a while. He runs a battle AI through Showdown for them.
https://www.youtube.com/@pokedad23

They're all pretty interesting. He tweaked the teams slightly where appropriate (ie: earlier trainers or trainers with truncated teams got evolved and extra team mates, held items were given out, and so forth) and per his own admission none of this is perfect (the AI has some blindspots, overprioritizes in some regards, a few of the movesets weren't tweaked properly, etc) and just for fun. And it is! Currently he's doing a big "world cup" with just about every notable trainer, but the earlier tournaments are fun to watch too, even if only to see the AI's fascinating priorities or how big a single miss can swing a battle.
The Champions tournament in particular is a big highlight for me.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Normally I don't post fakemons as they're a dime a dozen, even for the few I find pretty clever. However rarely do I find one that honestly makes me fill it was an obvious missed opportunity. Now, Gen IX isn't over yet and we're still getting new Paradox Pokemon, but considering a recent event just gave us a normal Mew and we're going to have a Tera Raid against a normal Mewtwo (that'll have a special interaction with the event Mew), I don't think GF are thinking of giving the Mew Duo a Paradox:

Now I and and many others have thought of Armored Mewtwo being a basis of a Future Paradox Mewtwo, that's a give me. But it didn't occur to me until this image that the perfect companion to it would be an Ancient Paradow Mew based on the Ancient Mew Card! They're such a perfect pair! But no, instead we got Dino Beasts and Robot Knights (well, at least 3 of them, curious if Keldeo is going to be left out or Keldeo will be paired with maybe Celebi who has a loose connection with the Beasts).

If anyone is in need of some more analytical content, then I HIGHLY recommend Zen Mode on youtube.

They make videos where they take pokemon that are considered to not be very good, and attempt to salvage them in game. With fixes that make sense for their character and concept, rather than something like "Let's give it Huge Power, Earthquake, and insert strong physical attacks here." Not only that, but they also actually do playthroughs with the featured mon, to show how effective or ineffective the changes were in getting it up to snuff.

My personal two favorite videos are the Paras video

and the Banette video

With emphasis on the Banette video, as on top of the fixing pokemon aspect, it also show cases his ability to craft a narrative around the star pokemon.

So if you have the time, I highly recommend checking them out.

Castersvarog

formerly Maronmario
If anyone is in need of some more analytical content, then I HIGHLY recommend Zen Mode on youtube.

They make videos where they take pokemon that are considered to not be very good, and attempt to salvage them in game. With fixes that make sense for their character and concept, rather than something like "Let's give it Huge Power, Earthquake, and insert strong physical attacks here." Not only that, but they also actually do playthroughs with the featured mon, to show how effective or ineffective the changes were in getting it up to snuff.

My personal two favorite videos are the Paras video

and the Banette video

With emphasis on the Banette video, as on top of the fixing pokemon aspect, it also show cases his ability to craft a narrative around the star pokemon.

So if you have the time, I highly recommend checking them out.
Zen Mode is an amazing content creator, i've always found it way funner to make balance changes that made reasonable sense from a lore, design and gameplay perspective and Zen is an excellent example of that type of content. I'd highly recommend his content as well

If your a fan of the Johto games, then I HIGHLY recommend this video. Made by Zen Mode who I already discussed in thread for his videos about fixing individual mons. While there is no "playthrough" since the changes he'd make are absolutely massive, he does edit the fights to reflect the changes he'd make to the boss fights, and explains each change he'd make in great detail. While I am admittedly not a Johto super fan, this is probably now one of my favorite videos in the pokemon fandom, and I would love to be able to play through Zen's version of HGSS.

So please, watch it and give this amazing video some much deserved love.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Top-tier fakemon design, further solidified that i dont want the og dragon cuz it aint living up to this
So I have three thoughts on this:
  • Feels a bit overdesigned for my taste.
  • A bit too Yu-Gi-Oh-ish (that is a 10 star Monster from a Special Summon that requires Blue Eyes White Dragon, Red Eyes Black Dragon, and Chaos Emperor Dragon as fusion material).
  • Too obvious of a design.
First two are self-explanatory. Third, well, tell me, before B2W2, if you imagined Kyurem fusing with any of the two, would they look like what White Kyurem and Black Kyurem look like? Now, yes, they do look like fusions of the two, but there's an additional design element to them: Incompleteness. A fan artist would have just taken one of the dragons and added Kyurem's features to it, likely also keeping the design symmetrical. But GF threw a curveball and decided that the fusion shouldn't look neat, if should look messed up; like it's Kyurem trying to take the shape of either dragon but isn't completely able to.

"Well, yeah, because it's missing the other dragon, duh"

But that's just it. Maybe this belongs on the Conspiracy and Theory board, but at some point the more I thought into the "Original Dragon" the more I was wondering what parts of the story do we not know? What we know is that there was an Original Dragon, it split itself, and Kyurem crash landed near Lacunosa Town. The latter though is treated as its own myth, and though they are grouped together the games seem hesitant to go "yea, Kyurem was once part of the Original Dragon along with Reshiram and Zekrom".

"Well they're waiting until another Unova game to pull that surprise out of the hat". I can't argue with that, though since then we've had a few more games and I can't help but notice that "otherness" they've given the third member of the Mascots:

• Zygarde's only real connection to Yveltal and Xerneas is it's base Ability, it's lore is a tenuous connection as it's the protector of the ecosystem which of course it'll respond to Xerneas and Yveltal causing disturbances of.

• Rayquaza was the closest third member to its group as it is a direct response to Groudon & Kyogre causing havoc, but then ORAS added a wedge to the lore by giving Groudon & Kyogre the Primal Reversion by siphoning Infinity Energy from the planet and Rayquaza a Mega from prayer of the people. Lorewise it makes sense, but it does make Groudon & Kyogre feel like a pair with Rayquaza something additional instead of a part of.

• Necrozma and Eternatus are completely separate creatures from the Mascot Duo, infact they have a direct hostile relation; Necrozma is a parasite to the Cosmog family and Eternatus a world-ruining dragon that the Twin Wolf Heroes had to slay. Heck, on the last point, Eternatus was never a mascot, rather the DLCs gave the mascot status to Urshifu and Calyrex (Calyrex's lore seemingly relates to Eternatus, but once again only as an adversary than a connection).

• Giratina had an extra form but overall it was like Rayquaza having a close connection with its group, all of them in-lore are children of Arceus. But then Legends: Arceus came out and it gave Dialga and Palkia their own Origin Forms. You'd think that would connect them to Giratina even more... but infact it did the opposite. Giratina's Origin Form is implied to be its original form while Altered Form is one it has to take when exiting the Distortion World as the physics of the normal world doesn't comply with Origin Forms biology (Griseous Orb/Core likely being a piece of the Distortion World that lets Giratina override this limitation). But for Dialga and Palkia, while the game says their Origin Forms could be their original forms, being their Origin Forms resemble Arceus that seems to imply that Dialga and Palkia are trying to revert themselves back to when they were a direct aspect of Arceus rather than an original form which their normal forms seem to be for them. LA also confirms that, unlike Dialga and Palkia which are subservient to Arcues to an obsession, Giratina had rebelled against Arceus and even was in direct defiance until finally being beaten by a mortal gave it a new perspective on things.

• Koraidon & Miraidon completely break the streak of "third Legendary", its DLCs mascots being Ogerpon and Terapagos with only the latter having a loose connection as it's the source apparently of the Terastal Phenomenon which, after a human intervention, resulted in the Paradox Pokemon which the 'Raidons are.

It feels like after Platinum they wanted something different so had the "third" member start being something extra to the initial version's duo. And later one, when they got a chance to work with Hoenn's and Sinnoh's lore again, they made sure give Rayquaza and Giratina that treatment; an "extra & separate" factor from the group they are a part of.

I doubt they had a plan for Kyurem when they made it, but to me it feels like they didn't just want to directly relate it to Reshiram and Zekrom as they knew the fans would obviously do. And with what they've been doing with "third" members since, when they do go back to Unova I don't think the "Original Dragon" is going to be what we think it is; and I'm questioning if the same will be true for Kyurem. Because, if we have the DNA Splicer, why have we not been able to fuse all three dragons into one yet? And the DNA Splicer's design is stylized after (maybe even a part of) Kyurem with only a black and white strike to represent Zekrom and Reshiram. Also, the Absofusion process doesn't look natural, even if Reshiram and Zekrom agree to be fused, what Kyurem needs to fuse with them is use its "wings" to fire a purple laser that forces them into their Orb form, than use said purple lasers to seemingly drain the Orb out of existence to finally transform. It just looks very alien, and eventually would lead me to coming up with this wild premise for a Legends: Unova.

I have my own ideas for what the "Original Dragon" could look like, but I think I rambled on enough.

BTW, this is in no way meant to put down fan art, that "Original Dragon" idea does look cool and if it is close to what the Original Dragon looks like than cool, I'm just a fool pushing out conspiracy theories. It's just a hang-up I have when someone shows cool fan art of a Pokemon which can conceptual exist (the Original Dragon, Mega Pokemon, Regional Variants, etc) and then says something along the lines of "whatever GF comes up with couldn't compare". But, as I pointed out, a lot of fan art is pretty direct while GF's focus is on making the Pokemon look unique thus going a completely different direction, so who knows what GF will come up with as there's a high likelihood they aren't going to try and make it look like the obvious conclusion (granted, that's something they have the advantage over as they can also write lore to justify things). And while I can't say I agree with all their designs *looks at Origin Dialga & Palkia*, I just feel its odd to say this cool fan art is better than what GF can come up with even though GF hasn't come up with anything to compare it with.

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Ok full disclosure I get why someone wouldn't like the Cyberlord OG dragon design but for me it falls under the category of design where It's Just So Fucking Raw that I don't care. 8 year old boy me would never get over it and that's all that matters. See also: Dark Enerjak, 5th Form Cooler, General Grievous

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
FeliciaFan is a youtuber who specializes in absurdly detailed Smash Bros. moveset concepts, complete with in-depth descriptions for every single move, accompanied by 3d renders. Of course they've done a few Pokemon concepts, but imo the most badass and intricate of them all is their take on implementing Rei & Akari:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)