High Quality Fanworks

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
You can't call out something for not doing research in a play-by-play reaction that thrice admits to have been written without full context.
And yet without the full context my complaints still made sense. At most the only thing I got "wrong" was saying the Voltorb family being their favorite Pokemon, which I don't think was a bad assumption considering they made a 17 minute video about the Voltorb family being misunderstood and misused by GF. The other two times was just a fun brag how I predicted two points ahead of time.

Also what does that have anything to do with doing research? Everything they and I said I checked to make sure was true if it was based in fact. They just assumed a few things, one of which they were easily proven wrong upon.

also maybe not every video needs an extensive play by play commentary of things happening....
Alright, I put in my main counterpoints and agreements and hid the play-by-play.

Voltorb is a good design because he was a good mimic. Specifically it was fit for the gen 1 (and 2) games where pokeballs were chonky items and voltorb could easily be seen disguising itself even though we know theyre small. Effectiveness lowered as the games started to show pokeball size more accuratedly (which is probably why foongus and amoongus were made) but a flavor of "voltorb looks like that because it makes pokemon think theyre a pokeball so they leave them alone" is underrated and should be used more ngl.

Electrode feels a bit like a unnecessary addition

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Voltorb is a good design because he was a good mimic. Specifically it was fit for the gen 1 (and 2) games where pokeballs were chonky items and voltorb could easily be seen disguising itself even though we know theyre small. Effectiveness lowered as the games started to show pokeball size more accuratedly (which is probably why foongus and amoongus were made) but a flavor of "voltorb looks like that because it makes pokemon think theyre a pokeball so they leave them alone" is underrated and should be used more ngl.

Electrode feels a bit like a unnecessary addition
Anything can be labeled as an “unnecessary addition” if they don’t really expend on what was already established to a Pokémon, or add something new to the Pokémon. Though I‘ll say Electrode did not expended or added any of that at all.

I rather not leave Voltorb single-staged though. I already told my problems with single-staged Pokémon in general so I no need to say that removing Electrode wouldn’t really improve Voltorb.

Anything can be labeled as an “unnecessary addition” if they don’t really expend on what was already established to a Pokémon, or add something new to the Pokémon. Though I‘ll say Electrode did not expended or added any of that at all.

I rather not leave Voltorb single-staged though. I already told my problems with single-staged Pokémon in general so I no need to say that removing Electrode wouldn’t really improve Voltorb.
I think its more because Electrode seems less effective as a good mimic (colors swapped) and looks like it should follow a "electrode is now strong enough to not need to be a mimmick to protect itself... But its main appearances are still just being a mimic in most games, with only a few making it avaliable in other places, and only one making it a normal encounter w no mimics (lgpe).

Like, I think you should either make it a better mimic to justify that, or keep voltorb as a mimic and electrode as something else, since it evolve and doesnt need mimicry anymore

Time for some more fan music? Yes.

Jyc Row has made two new Pokémon fan songs, both Sinnoh-themed. The first one is about Dialga, the second is a covermix of Cynthia's theme from the games.

There's also another fan song I really like, I heard it long ago but I have completely forgotten to post in this thread. It is a cover/remix of the Sea Mauville theme in OR/AS (or the Abandoned Ship theme in R/S/E). The way it plays out in the second half may not appeal to everyone's tastes, but I personally love it and I think it somehow suits Sea Mauville extremely well.

I mentioned a while ago that Japan seemed to really adore the subway brothers, for whatever reason. They were in a lot of fanworks relative to other characters, and even ranked highly on popularity polls.

Well turns out all the west needed to get all aboard with them was making one a depressing isekai mess of a man. I've seen a ton of fancomics, genearl artwork, little animatics, and so forth of Ingo (& his brother) that just were not there before. It's great, Ingo went from kind of a nobody to someone who garners about as much attention as various main characters.

I like this comic in particular
https://fluorescent-air-fresheners.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F678625125901516800

Well turns out all the west needed to get all aboard with them was making one a depressing isekai mess of a man. I've seen a ton of fancomics, genearl artwork, little animatics, and so forth of Ingo (& his brother) that just were not there before. It's great, Ingo went from kind of a nobody to someone who garners about as much attention as various main characters.
Ok, to be fair, the submas fans in the western fandom have always been pretty diehard insane since gen 5, its just that now there's a Lot More of them

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So a few fan things I've came across that I've meant to post:

First, an expert typing on the keyboard and want to add a little style to it? How about replacing those boring keycaps that just display a letter with a Pokemon mini diorama!

(Note these cost a pretty penny, each letter caps go around $30-$40 and spacebars are $100+! Though they do also make letter caps which just feature a Pokemon card under $20 each. Obviously this is something you reserve for a keyboard you really like and for the few of your favorite Pokemon)

Hard resin not your thing? How about felt? Here's a Youtuber who goes by "Mio" that makes their own custom felt plushes (many Pokemon) via needle felting, and they're really good at it! It looks like official products.
Here's Mio's Youtube channel and Twitter to see more Pokemon and other characters recreated in felt.

Want something more interactive? Do you like Wordle? Why not try Squirdle, a Pokemon version of Wordle where you try to figure out a mystery Pokemon by guessing a Pokemon and then given hints on the mystery Pokemon's relation to the guessed Pokemon via Gen, Primary Type, Secondary Type, Height, & Weight. May need to have Bulbapedia opened up for this one.

Finally, tune your ears to this lovely rendition of Ava Maria...

EDIT:
ALMOST FORGOT! There's this GREAT fan project of redrawing the Johto sprite map that just has to be seen to be believed:

Want something more interactive? Do you like Wordle? Why not try Squirdle, a Pokemon version of Wordle where you try to figure out a mystery Pokemon by guessing a Pokemon and then given hints on the mystery Pokemon's relation to the guessed Pokemon via Gen, Primary Type, Secondary Type, Height, & Weight. May need to have Bulbapedia opened up for this one.
Oh, that's fun. It may be too easy, but at the same time, I'm not sure how you could balance it any better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)