Hidden Avatars on Pokémon Showdown! [new avatars @ #284]

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
hi !! just curious since im not really a pixel artist at all so i cant tell all too well, arent these the same character/design?
View attachment 459587View attachment 459588
its probably not a big deal just figured its good to point out there's two of the same design with different art styles on the list;; hope i posted in the right spot!!
Good eye, they are the same design; for some reason Game Freak used the same model for the Teacher and female Office Worker Trainer Classes in Gen 7, despite having different designs in every other gen. Admittedly I didn't notice this when I was filling in the USUM gaps with Kyledove's work because I specifically searched for an existing "officeworker", but it's just as well since we can support two artists' renditions through a technicality instead of copy+pasting the first one.

Skimmed the thread to make sure no one asked and I don't think I saw anyone, but is there a reason why we have to manually set the avatars each time we wanna use them? Using the hidden avatars ends up being reset for me pretty frequently and it's annoying to have to check and set it every time I get on Showdown.

Skimmed the thread to make sure no one asked and I don't think I saw anyone, but is there a reason why we have to manually set the avatars each time we wanna use them? Using the hidden avatars ends up being reset for me pretty frequently and it's annoying to have to check and set it every time I get on Showdown.
I can't prove that this is true, but to me it seems like typing the /avatar command in an official chat makes the avatar stick even if you log out. If you, for example, click on Chat self and type the command in there, it will revert when you log out

I can't prove that this is true, but to me it seems like typing the /avatar command in an official chat makes the avatar stick even if you log out. If you, for example, click on Chat self and type the command in there, it will revert when you log out
Ohhh, that makes sense. I've been doing it in chat self so that might be why. Thank you so much!

sharpclaw

is a Top Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
Since you put Yellow in, I don't suppose you put Emerald or the Masked Man from the Manga?
That's not really how this works, unfortunately. It's not a question of simply "putting in" another sprite, like Emerald or the Masked Man. Since those characters never appeared in a mainline game, there's no official sprite to source; I'm unsure who made the Yellow that appears on PS (the sprite isn't listed on our credits page), but a volunteer artist had to make it. The same would have to be true for any other character from the manga who doesn't appear in the early-gen games.

Thanks for asking this, I've been bothered by it for the longest time! Hopefully the recommended solution proves correct over time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)