Let's Play! Herman Gigglethorpe's Pokemon Solo Playthroughs

Pokemon Crystal Solo Poliwag

This solo run took place in January, but I never bothered to post about it until now for some reason.

Unevolved Pokemon falter in no Battle Item Crystal solo playthroughs. This is due to the sparse move selection of the older games, but also because the enemy levels are so low that if you do have to grind, only the most patient players will see it through.

But there was one Water type who accepted the challenge: Poliwag! I named him MALLOW after another tadpole who would never become a frog, and sent him off to battle Hoothoots and Rattatas west of New Bark Town until he grew to Level 7 and learned the 60% accuracy sleep move Hypnosis. Now he was ready to blow Bubbles at enemy trainers until they surrendered their cash.

Except at Sprout Tower, that is. As pathetic as Grass types were in Johto, there was no way MALLOW was going to fight Bellsprouts with a base 20 move at half power.

So Poliwag hunted birds in Falkner's Gym in Violet City instead. When he reached the boss, MALLOW equipped a Berry for a one-time heal. The 1st Hypnosis failed against Falkner's Pidgey, and the Gym Leader retaliated with Tackle. When Pidgey started snoozing, Poliwag cast Bubble until it died. Pidgeotto woke up after 2 Bubbles, flapped its wings to send a Gust at Poliwag, then fell asleep again and took a Bubble bath. MALLOW won the battle with 20/32 HP at Level 11, then grew to Level 12 after beating Pidgeotto.

Youngster Albert was an annoying opponent because of self-inflicted confusion damage from his Zubat's Supersonic, but learning Water Gun by growing to Level 14 was worth the trouble.

Union Cave through the Team Rocket Slowpoke Well gauntlet was barely worth mentioning, though a Koffing once poisoned MALLOW with Smog. Amy and May in the Azalea Gym had a Supersonic Ledyba that nearly started the DEATH COUNT. Bugsy's Metapod decreased MALLOW's Speed with String Shot before being drenched by the final Water Gun. Hypnosis was used against Kakuna to avoid potential poisoning. After MALLOW was slowed down, Scyther was fast enough to outspeed him and start building up Fury Cutter power. Many Water Guns were needed to take down what was effectively a fully-evolved Pokemon, though Hypnosis helped near the end. Poliwag won at Level 20 with 32/52 HP and grew to 21.

Hypnosis proved its worth again during the Azalea Town rival fight. Gastly and Zubat couldn't try any status ailments while they were asleep, though Quilava was more annoying than it should have been when Smokescreen caused Poliwag to whiff a Water Gun. MALLOW triumphed at Level 21 and 48/54 HP, and rose to 22.

Headbutt from a TM replaced the unreliable Doubleslap in Ilex Forest. At 70 base power with Normal typing, Headbutt was the strongest move Poliwag had, and its 30% flinch chance could stun enemies it couldn't kill outright. MALLOW mugged the Goldenrod Underground trainers and rose to Level 25, replacing Bubble with the Water-themed weather Rain Dance.

Whitney's Clefairy dodged the 1st Hypnosis and Doubleslapped Poliwag, though the 2nd Hypnosis connected. Poliwag Headbutted Clefairy back into its Poke Ball, and out came Miltank. Fortunately, Hypnosis succeeded on the 1st try, rendering the cow harmless except for one critical Rollout late in the battle when it woke up. MALLOW collected his 3rd badge at 44/65 HP at Level 26. Sudowoodo had a fatal allergy to a critical Water Gun.

MALLOW gained the Surf HM by defeating all the Eevee evolutions the Kimono Girls had, and would use the base 95 power Water attack for the rest of the game. Water/Normal is perhaps the best attack type combination in the original Johto versions, since nothing resists both, and the strongest attacks like Return and Surf are available early in the game.

Burned Tower's rival battle was easy at Level 30 after setting up Rain Dance against Haunter. Its gradual Curse damage had no effect when +50% Surfs flooded the arena and killed everything in one hit, preventing the end-turn effect from occurring. (Poison has the same leniency towards the player in Crystal.) The same tactic applied to Morty, though his Gengar could take a Surf. Morty's own Hypnosis was foiled with a Mint Berry. The Ecruteak Gym Leader's final Haunter needed 2 Surfs to kill when the skies cleared. MALLOW won at Level 34 with 58/81 HP.

Once the 4th badge was available, MALLOW plundered Sprout Tower for the Flash HM and got the Water attack boost item Mystic Water in Cherrygrove. Older Pokemon games are noticeably less linear than the newer ones, which can be nice sometimes.

MALLOW had an accidental encounter with Raikou while I was looking for a Hoothoot to teach Fly to. Poliwag grew to Level 37 in the Olivine lighthouse and replaced Rain Dance with Belly Drum. Belly Drum combined with Hypnosis was the reason I chose Poliwag for an unevolved solo in the first place. 50 base Attack becomes much more impressive when you can multiply your stat by 4, and can risk the half max HP penalty when the opponents are slumbering.

Chuck in Cianwood Gym was easier than Yoshi's Story at Level 41 when MALLOW put Primeape to sleep, Belly Drummed, then returned both it and Poliwrath to death without taking a hit. Pryce didn't even require Hypnosis when MALLOW Belly Drummed in front of Seel and Return obliterated Dewgong and Piloswine too. Icy Wind's Speed drop was no match for a base 90 Speed stat, equivalent to Sonic the Hedgehog's in a game where most enemies were slow. Jasmine couldn't be killed with Return thanks to her high Defense Steel types, but Surf was more than Magnemites and Steelix could handle.

The rival struck again in the Goldenrod Underground during the Team Rocket Radio Tower sequence. His Golbat drifted off, and Return killed the rest of the team except for the Steel type Magnemite and the Ghost type Haunter. Surf dealt with those.

My first loss in this challenge came when I wasn't playing carefully. The Team Rocket members are pushovers much of the time, and the segment between the 7th and 8th badges is the most boring in the game. So the "Team Rocket Fortress" Executive and the Golbat companion caused a freak defeat when confusion damage took its toll. Didn't bother with Hypnosis because of its low accuracy, and thought Return would be enough to one-shot the enemy. I didn't make that mistake on Take 2!

DEATH COUNT: 1

Hypnosis + Belly Drum + Return = Team Rocket Disbands. As a reward for saving the Goldenrod Radio Tower, Mary gave MALLOW a Pink Bow to increase his Normal type attack power to +10%. Most hold items are underwhelming in Crystal compared to later games, but you take what's offered.

Unboosted Return was insufficient starting in the Radio Tower, and even random Seadra's in Clair's Gym in Blackthorn City could survive one occasionally. But MALLOW humiliated Clair herself at Level 55-56 by Belly Drumming against a sleeping Dragonair, then Returning everyone including Kingdra to their Poke Balls.

One odd note about the mechanics is that Calcium in Crystal increases "Special", instead of "Special Attack" or "Special Defense". This is a holdover from the original Kanto games before the Special stat was split. Later installments would add the Zinc vitamin for Special Defense.

The rival in Victory Road led with the most type-mismatched Pokemon before the physical/special split, Sneasel. Who thought it would be a good idea to make a Dark/Ice type, then give it base 95 Attack and base 35 Special Attack? You can see why no Hypnosis setup was necessary for Belly Drum. Surf swamped the Haunter, and Typlosion had enough dignity to strike with a Quick Attack before dying. Poliwag triumphed at Level 59 with 54/148 HP.

Will of the Elite 4 was a good example of the binary outcomes of any boss battle that Poliwag participated in. Either he boosted to +6 Attack and pulverized his enemies, or he whiffed the Hypnosis and was punished with Psychic mental torture from Exeggutor.

DEATH COUNT: 2

Poliwag succeeded on Will Take 2 after forgoing Hypnosis and going straight for the Belly Drum. The gamble worked when the first Xatu's Psychic failed to KO even at half HP. Poliwag destroyed the rest of the Psychic team at Level 60 with only 28/151 HP.

Rolling the dice against Koga failed. His Ariados Double Teamed to dodge Returns, then cast super effective Giga Drains. Forretress survived a Return and shot Swift stars for the final blow.

DEATH COUNT: 3

Hypnosis returned and put the spider to sleep on Take 2. Those who were wondering "Why did you click Return instead of Surf against Forretress?" will learn that the question is pointless anyway. Forretress needed 2 Surfs to kill, since Belly Drum had no effect on a base 40 Special Attack. No Hypnosis for Bruno when the weak Hitmontop Dug underground. All the Fighting types dropped dead when hit by Return, and Surf eroded the odd choice of the Rock/Ground Onix. MALLOW won at Level 61 with 59/153 HP.

Karen's dreaded Umbreon didn't live long enough to decrease MALLOW's accuracy with Sand Attack. A Hypnosis and critical Belly Drum powered Return was too much for even a defensive Eevee evolution. Gengar was the true threat since it couldn't be Returned to sender, but the stupid AI made it kill itself with Curse after one Surf. (No, the AI hasn't improved as of Sword/Shield. . .) Champion Lance's Dragonites and Flying types dropped out of the sky with the usual Hypnosis + Belly Drum + Return combo, except for Surf against Aerodactyl. MALLOW won Lance's belt at Level 63.

Being the Johto Champion alone wasn't enough. I don't consider a Crystal playthrough to be complete until Red is dead, and it always surprises me when people stop after Lance.

Hypnosis missed against Lt. Surge's Raichu. It's said that the Thunder used against MALLOW powered Vermilion City for an entire day.

DEATH COUNT: 4

Hypnosis failed again on Take 2, but somehow Raichu's Thunder Wave failed. Could someone please explain how Thunder Wave keeps missing in Crystal, when all sources say it has 100% accuracy? This is Generation 2, so the "Gen 1 miss" coding can't apply. A 2nd Hypnosis worked, and all the Electric types succumbed to Return at Level 65.

No Hypnosis needed for Sabrina when her Espeon failed to KO with Psychic. It was similar to the successful Will battle, except the Saffron City Gym Leader only had 3 Pokemon. MALLOW won at Level 66 with 19/167 HP. I was cautious against Erika and her Grass team, the last type disadvantage battle in the game. Hypnosis and Return weeded the garden. One random Gym trainer's Exeggutor was much more interesting when it put Poliwag to sleep for about 6 turns, then used Confusion, Stomp, or Egg Bomb instead of Giga Drain or any other Grass attacks. Enemy move lists in Crystal are weird.

Janine's Poison team had lower levels than Clair back in Johto, so I must have decided to punish her by killing her whole team with only Mystic Water powered Surfs. It worked, and the only action the Fuchsia City Gym Leader took in the whole battle was to increase Venomoth's critical hit rate with a Dire Hit item.

I was so bored by the time I got to Misty that I didn't Belly Drum. She and her Lapras in particular were better than most of Kanto at least. You can't say that many players will lose to a Perish Song countdown from an AI! The usual Hypnosis trick won the battle at Level 73.

DEATH COUNT: 5

Brock's Rock team was a flawless victory at Level 74 with Surf and Mystic Water, as was Blaine's Fire squad. Blue in Viridian City had the strangest incident in the playthrough when BOTH Hypnosis attacks missed on the 1st turn when Pidgeot copied it with Mirror Move. The 2nd Hypnosis stuck, and Belly Drum + Return meant the battle was effectively over. Except for the Rock/Ground Rhydon, which drowned in Surf, and a token priority Extremespeed from Arcanine. MALLOW acquired his final badge at Level 75 with 58/193 HP.

The final battle against Red began about as well as the Lt. Surge Gym Leader match did. Pikachu electrocuted Poliwag with the same move too when Hypnosis missed.

DEATH COUNT: 6

On Take 2, MALLOW got the free turn to set up Belly Drum, but not because Pikachu stayed asleep. No, Red fed his mascot Pokemon a Full Restore, which still wasted a round. The sheer power of +6 Return made Pikachu, Venusaur, Espeon, Snorlax, Blastoise, and Charizard faint like Gothic novel characters.

MALLOW the Poliwag Final Stats and Moves

Level 76 @ Pink Bow

HP: 196
Attack: 144
Defense: 122
Special Attack: 116
Special Defense: 116
Speed: 192

Surf
Return
Hypnosis
Belly Drum

As you can see here, MALLOW the Poliwag didn't have to go on a Rare Candy hunt or battle all the random Kanto trainers to watch the credits twice. Level 76 is below Red's Kanto starter trio, let alone the Pikachu. Poliwag doesn't need to rely on the usual Double Team evasion or Rest + Sleep Talk silliness that other solos may need for Red. Poliwag destroys the balance of Crystal by outrunning and disabling everything, then buffing its Return. Some of the deaths came because I was complacent and bored after too many easy wins. That, and I was close to Pokemon burnout at the time this playthrough happened.

Hypnosis failed again on Take 2, but somehow Raichu's Thunder Wave failed. Could someone please explain how Thunder Wave keeps missing in Crystal, when all sources say it has 100% accuracy? This is Generation 2, so the "Gen 1 miss" coding can't apply. A 2nd Hypnosis worked, and all the Electric types succumbed to Return at Level 65.
I believe all status moves used by the enemy AI in Gen 2 just have a 25% chance to fail. I remember the message taking a while to pop up every time it happened/I noticed, usually from Growl Rattata or something.

Pokemon White Solo Simisage Part 1: Blessed Assurance

(Originally posted on Realms Beyond)

I enjoyed my time with Ni No Kuni, but it can be exhausting to play that kind of cutscene heavy RPG. It was time to start a quick Pokemon playthrough. The other 2 "elemental monkeys" already have solo challenges in this thread, so it was Pansage's turn.

To get Pansage, I had to pick Tepig as my starter. There were a few mandatory trainers in the Dreamyard that gave Tepig experience that I would have preferred for my solo character. It might not have mattered much anyway considering how the experience system in Pokemon White is meant to punish solos with diminishing returns.

Pansage started at Level 10 with a Gentle personality and the Alert to Sounds characteristic. That meant a Defense penalty, a Special Defense bonus, and that the highest "individual value" stat bonus was for Speed. Adamant might have been a better option for a personality due to its Attack bonus, but I didn't feel like resetting and the "individual values" were good enough to use.

Initial Stats and Moveset:

HP: 32
Attack: 18
Defense: 14
Special Attack: 15
Special Defense: 15
Speed: 20

Starting Moves

Scratch
Leer
Lick
Vine Whip

Pansage is different from the other monkeys since its same type attacks use Attack rather than Special Attack. This may cause problems later when Intimidate users appear and debuff Pansage automatically.

The trainers south of Striaton City were useless except for maybe "effort values" that contribute to stats at higher levels. Cheren in the Trainer's School wasn't a difficult rival fight. The Level 8 Oshawott starter fell to 2 Vine Whips accounting for Oran Berry healing, and Pansage lashed Level 8 Purrloin with 3 Vine Whips. The worst that Pansage had to worry about was a critical Scratch, and my solo won at Level 11 with 20/34 HP.

Only bad trainer AI saved Pansage against Waitress Tia in the Striaton Gym's restaurant. Vine Whip failed to KO a Patrat before a Bide copied its damage total and blasted it back. Purrloin kept using Sand Attack and Growl instead of attacking, so Pansage survived at Level 12 with 4/36 HP.

Striaton Gym's gimmick is designed for the "elemental monkeys", since the Gym Leader changes type depending on your starter. Since JIMENA the trainer chose Tepig, I faced Gym Leader Cress and his team. Lillipup is one of the better early Pokemon in Unova, so Pansage cast Leer to lower its Defense twice before striking with Vine Whip. It wasn't a good idea to stall for long against the Level 12 opponent because it could power up its Attack and Special Attack with Work Up.

Level 14 Panpour's Water Gun wasn't even a drizzle, and that was with a Work Up bonus. Cress's signature Pokemon passed out after 3 Vine Whips, and Pansage got the 1st badge at Level 13 with 29/38 HP. A much better performance than solo Pansear managing to lose to Cilan's Pansage! Work Up from the Gym's TM replaced Leer, since it's better to buff yourself in Pokemon than to debuff your opponent. If you're playing the Super Nintendo version of Trials of Mana, it's the other way around: buff items can be bought, while debuffs are associated with particular character promotions.

Team Plasma in the Dreamyard wasn't worth mentioning except for one Grunt failing to cast Assist with a Purrloin. Route 3's Preschoolers would have made better villains than they. One had a Pansear, and there was the mandatory Double Battle with 2 Purrloins that reduced Pansage to 13/43 HP. (Patrat the Cut mule was the dummy partner.)

Team Plasma Grunts in Wellspring Cave, however, had the honor of first blood. Pansage's woes in this region began with a Level 12 Patrat's Bide when Vine Whip was too weak to KO.

Solo Panpour fainted for the 1st time under similar circumstances, except to a Team Plasma Grunt in the Dreamyard rather than Wellspring Cave.

Pansage won on the 2nd try with Work Up buffs. At Level 16, Pansage had the choice of either keeping Lick or replacing it with Leech Seed. Enemies at this point were usually either Dark types that resist Lick, or Normal types that were immune. Leech Seed would have benefited a defensive Grass type more than Pansage, but I thought it might be worth it for the 2nd Gym. It might have been a mistake to get rid of Lick!

School Kid Marsha on Route 3 may be the most difficult opponent in the entire playthrough. All she had was a Level 13 Woobat, but it was all she needed. Confusion was a decent same type attack, but Gust was super effective. The best I could hope for was a weak Dark type Assurance. Some actuarial statistics should give an idea of Marsha:

Pansage prevailed with Work Up powered Scratches, Leech Seed healing, and a held Oran Berry. The fun part of using a weak Pokemon is losing to random route trainers multiple times and thinking of a strategy to beat them. Technically Marsha was avoidable, but she was one of those spinning trainers who seemed to be clairvoyant.

School Kid Edgar on Route 3 nearly defeated Pansage with a critical Quick Attacking Pidove and a Roggenrola with Headbutt, but I barely won at Level 17 with Work Up + Scratch and Vine Whips. Pansage won't fight Lenora right away. Watchog's Retaliate would pummel me at that level, and Pansage needs a better attack than Vine Whip. Audinos will provide experience if the trainers to the west of Nacrene City aren't sufficient.

Stats and Moves

Level 17 @ Nothing
Ability: Gluttony

HP: 47
Attack: 28
Defense: 20
Special Attack: 23
Special Defense: 23
Speed: 32

Starting Moves

Scratch
Work Up
Leech Seed
Vine Whip

Pokemon White Solo Simisage Part 2: Plasbad

A TM replaced Scratch with Rock Smash, a weak Fighting physical attack that had a Defense debuff chance. While training west of Nacrene City, Pansage defeated Youngster Zachary and retired Leech Seed. Bite's physical Dark type was an answer for Psychic types like Munna and Woobat, and its flinch chance made it viable for neutral opponents.

N in Nacrene City team of Level 13 Pokemon wasn't too bad, but his Pidove hit Pansage hard with Gust and a Leer + Quick Attack combo. Vine Whip stung Tympole, and 2 Vine Whips struck down Patrat while it was charging up Bide. Pansage left the arena at Level 20 with 29/54 HP.

Pansage prepared for the 2nd Gym Leader battle with Lenora by equipping a Chesto Berry. Remember when I said Intimidate would be a problem for the Grass monkey more than the Fire and Water monkeys? Lenora cut Pansage's Attack as soon as Level 18 Herdier came out of the Poke Ball. Its Take Down with Normal same type bonus overwhelmed Pansage in two attempts. Work Up couldn't save Pansage when starting at -1 Attack, and Rock Smash was too weak.

There was only one way for Pansage to beat the experience curve: mauling Audinos! Pansage finally learned Seed Bomb, the staple Grass attack for the rest of the challenge. Seed Bomb started at 80 power, which sure beat Vine Whip's 35. And that wasn't taking into account the 50% same type bonus.

Seed Bomb shells pelted Herdier after a Work Up until it was defeated, although Take Downs dealt significant damage. Watchog cast Hypnosis instead of going for the sure victory with Retaliate. Retaliate doubles in power if used immediately after an ally faints, and solos have to pray that Watchog's AI is stupid. Pansage fell asleep for a few seconds before the Chesto Berry awakened him. It might have helped that the 1st Seed Bomb against Watchog was critical. Pansage survived at Level 23 with 30/61 HP.

It disappointed me that Pansage couldn't learn Retaliate from the TM. It would have been nice to have a decent Normal move, although it had low PP. In Pinwheel Forest, Pansage eliminated the Team Plasma Grunts. He nearly lost to Pokemon Ranger Miguel and his Pansear after falling asleep from Yawn. Pansage woke up just in time to Bite to victory.

Pansage equipped the Miracle Seed to boost Grass attacks at the end of Pinwheel Forest, but it didn't last long as there were better hold items. Lass Eva's 3 Woobats all fell to 1 Bite each. One of the joys of playing RPGs is the increase in power over the course of the game. Compare Lass Eva to School Kid Marsha and you'll notice the difference.

Readers may be sick of Eviolite by now, but it's a staple of Pokemon solos starting in the 5th generation. I got it in Castelia City, the Pokemon version of New York. Pansage would try to resist the temptation to evolve as long as possible. He probably will become Simisage by the end of the game. Trying to level to 100 in Pokemon White with an unevolved Pokemon would probably be like trying to max out Cloud and Barret in the 1st Mako reactor in Final Fantasy 7. This isn't Sword and Shield where it's easy to get experience with candies.

Pansage defeated Team Plasma Grunts and was called "Plasbad" in one of the more memorable lines in the script.

Burgh the Bug type Gym Leader had an advantage over Pansage the Grass type. Not just from resisting Seed Bomb or super effective Bug moves. The level 21 Whirlipede had a double power Poison Tail with a poison chance. This usually put Pansage at or near critical HP. If Whirlipede didn't skewer Pansage, then Level 21 Dwebble would with Smack Down, or Level 23 Leavanny with Razor Leaf of all moves.

DEATH COUNT: 12

Burgh was also a cheater by the standards of the later solos. He loved to heal Whirlipede or Leavanny with Hyper Potions. Leavanny tried to stall for PP by blocking with Protect, and Sand Attack from Dwebble made accuracy from Bite random. The 1st attempt came close to victory, which made me try and try again at Level 30. I considered evolving with the Leaf Stone in Castelia. . .then checked Pansage's moveset on Serebii and thought of a better idea.

JIMENA and her Pansage backtracked to Nacrene City and bludgeoned more Audinos until he grew to Level 31 and replaced Rock Smash with Acrobatics. Pansage removed his Eviolite and returned to Burgh's Gym. Acrobatics doubled in power without an item equipped, and Pansage flipped around the arena to take out Whirlipede and Leavanny in one hit. The Dwebble in the middle put up a fight with Struggle Bug and Sand Attack since Seed Bomb failed to KO in one hit. Pansage got his 3rd badge at Level 31 with 68/80 HP. What a difference one level makes in an RPG with a "high damage, low health" battle system.

I mentioned that solo Simisage's namewould have to be truncated to fit the character limit. Now that it's happening, my Pansage is called "SpeakNoEvl".

If SpeakNoEvl can delay evolution for long enough, he can use Crunch by the end of the game instead of the inferior TM Shadow Claw.

Stats and Moves

Level 31 @ Nothing

HP: 80
Attack: 50
Defense: 36
Special Attack: 39
Special Defense: 38
Speed: 58

Acrobatics
Work Up
Bite
Seed Bomb

Pokemon White Solo Simisage Part 3: No Death Count?

Bianca greeted SpeakNoEvl at the gate to the desert with a Level 18 Herdier with Intimidate. Pansage thought that was rude and responded with two Work Ups and a Seed Bomb. Herdier wasted its rounds with an Odor Sleuth and a Take Down miss. Level 18-20 Munna, Servine, and Panpour fell to Bite, Acrobatics, and Seed Bomb for a flawless victory at Level 32.

Cheren preferred to fight in the desert itself. This would have been a flawless victory if not for sandstorm damage that knocked SpeakNoEvl down to 67/82 HP. Level 20-22 Pidove, Pansear, Liepard, and Dewott died to one Acrobatics or Seed Bomb each.

The desert and Desert Resort detour were easy experience. The only fact worth mentioning is that Psychic Low's Yamask was the 1st enemy Ghost type to appear. Compare that to Crystal where Rival ??? has a Gastly just after the 2nd Gym.

SpeakNoEvl pummeled the trainers in and around Nimbasa and purchased the Return TM in the Pokemon Center. Return is a standard move for physical solos from Generations 2-8. (Wooloo in Shield had a nasty surprise when I learned that Return was erased from history!)

N in Nimbasa by the ferris wheel was the last opponent to deal with Acrobatics. Level 22 Sandile, Darumaka, and Scraggy passed out after Acrobatics or Seed Bomb, while Sigilyph withstood the 1st Acrobatics and countered with Air Cutter. Even while 13 levels lower, Sigilyph's Special Attack was good enough to diminish SpeakNoEvl's HP to 48/90.

Nimbasa's Gym was Electric type, so Acrobatics would become worthless. Return was weaker than no item Acrobatics in general, but at least Pansage could equip Eviolite for better defenses now. "Flying Squirrel Pikachu" Emolgas were annoying due to their Static ability paralyzing SpeakNoEvl, but Elesa's fight was more favorable.

Pansage set up a Work Up against Elesa's first Level 25 Emolga, then was gashed by Aerial Ace. Return killed both Emolgas without Static, and a critical Seed Bomb poached Level 27 Zebstrika. At least Elesa's star Pokemon struck with Quick Attack to knock Level 37 Pansage down to 58/94 HP before fainting.

Cheren's fight west of Nimbasa was interesting since Liepard cast Torment to prevent Pansage from using the same move consecutively. After the free Fake Out flinch damage, of course. Torment activated after Work Up, so Return defeated Liepard to save Seed Bomb for later. Pansear's Flame Burst was mediocre after Pansage's Bite. Return killed Pansear, and an accidentally well-timed Work Up meant Tranquill's Detect block was wasted. Return knocked out Tranquill, and a Seed Bomb barrage defeated Level 26 Dewott. SpeakNoEvl emerged victorious at Level 38 with 66/97 HP.

A "dungeon" called Cold Storage in Driftveil City was so easy that none of the battles were worth discussing, whether the workers or the Team Plasma Grunts. Driftveil's Gym was Ground type, where Pansage had an advantage for once against the subordinate trainers.

Clay's Level 29-31 team had a surprise for SpeakNoEvl: Swagger. Pansage conked himself on the head after the initial Work Up for heavy damage, though he snapped out of it once Krokorok Bulldozed him. Excadrill wasted its opportunity to finish off SpeakNoEvl by powering up Attack and Accuracy with Hone Claws. A +3 Seed Bomb buried the mole, and Palpitoad was too sluggish to do anything even when Pansage was at -1 Speed from Bulldoze. SpeakNoEvl earned his 5th badge with 41/104 HP at Level 41.

Stats and Moves

Lv 41 @ Eviolite

HP: 104
Attack: 70
Defense: 46
Special Attack: 51
Special Defense: 49
Speed: 80

Return
Work Up
Bite
Seed Bomb

Pokemon White Solo Simisage Part 4: Winter Blues

Bianca proved herself superior to Cheren once again in Driftveil City. Her Level 26-28 team was the same as before, so SpeakNoEvl set up with Work Up twice to override Herdier's Intimidate. A Seed Bomb still wasn't enough to KO, but Take Down recoil was suicidal. Pansage's disappointing damage output made him Work Up again against Servine, who Slammed the monkey before being Returned to its Poke Ball.

Musharna had enough HP to survive Bites, and Bianca healed it with multiple Hyper Potions. One Psybeam wounded SpeakNoEvl, but it was passive Hail damage that caused. . .

DEATH COUNT: 13

One detail I hadn't mentioned earlier in that battle report was that the fight took place in Winter. Pokemon White has seasons unlike earlier installments, and Winter makes Hail fall in and around Driftveil City. Gender was weirdly important to the Jigglypuff solo thanks to Cute Charm, while the DS clock itself killed Pansage. Bianca must have been reading Smogon articles to come up with Hail stall!

On Take 2 against Driftveil Bianca, SpeakNoEvl powered up 3 times with Work Up, then killed each team member with one Seed Bomb, Bite, or Return. Pansage won with 68/104 HP at Level 41.

Chargestone Cave was a mostly easy dungeon, except for one close call against a trainer's Zebstrika. If Team Plasma were using that instead of Liepard, Trubbish, or Watchog, they'd be a credible threat. N at the end of Chargestone Cave had superior Pokemon, though maybe he'd do better if he hadn't released his entire team after every battle.

N's first Level 28 monster was a Boldore that had Sturdy and survived Seed Bomb with 1 HP. It hit Pansage with Smack Down before being Crunched. Joltik had a Defense stat too low to survive Return, but Ferroseed was Grass/Steel and resisted all of SpeakNoEvl's moves. Pansage Worked Up twice and Ferroseed cut with Metal Claw. (But Ferroseed doesn't even have limbs!) An Iron Defense could have been dangerous if not for a critical hit Crunch.

Klink's resistance to Grass didn't save it from Seed Bomb, and SpeakNoEvl triumphed at Level 46 with 60/116 HP. The Lucky Egg is great for Pokemon White solos as you can see here: SpeakNoEvl gained 5 levels from Driftveil Bianca to Chargestone Cave N, although the opposition was around 18 levels lower at best.

For anyone curious about SpeakNoEvl's "individual values", the Mistralton Pokemon Center Hidden Power checker said his type was Ghost. Pansage advanced through Mistralton's Flying type Gym with little trouble. Skyla with her Level 33-35 team was actually worse than her subordinate trainers. On the 1st try, I equipped the Lucky Egg to see if Pansage could benefit from double experience, and win without Eviolite defenses.

One Crunch tore apart Swoobat. Unfezant did nothing but Leer at SpeakNoEvl to lower his Defense. This meant a free Work Up. Returns pounded Unfezant enough for Skyla to waste turns healing it with Hyper Potions. Seed Bomb exploded on Swanna and gave it a concussion. An unevolved Pokemon with a type disadvantage and suboptimal stats defeated Skyla without taking any damage at Level 52. That's the power of the Lucky Egg! (And bad enemy AI.)

Stats and Moves

Level 52 @ Lucky Egg

HP: 131
Attack: 92
Defense: 60
Special Attack: 65
Special Defense: 61
Speed: 107

Return
Work Up
Crunch
Seed Bomb

Pokemon White Solo Simisage Part 5: Eviolite AI Script Manipulation

SpeakNoEvl began the episode by nearly dying to the Triple Battle specialist Ace Trainer Elmer. Carrying my HM Mules Tepig and Ducklett around had this unexpected result. Triple Battles were introduced in the Unova games, but later removed from the series if my memory isn't mistaken. (Probably because of frame rate issues: Double Battles were slow in Moon!) Hail damage pelted Pansage again, and he had to waste a turn moving to the center slot so he could hit the Pokemon on the right.

Where Ace Trainer Elmer failed, Cheren succeeded with his Level 33-35 team. Air Slashes from Unfezant's weaker attacking stat were enough to slice Lucky Egg Pansage in two.

DEATH COUNT: 14

Cheren was more lenient on Take 2 and had his Unfezant use Taunt instead of a Flying attack. Now SpeakNoEvl couldn't Work Up, but Returns were enough to destroy the bird and Simisear. Pansage made Dewott and Liepard explode with Seed Bombs, though Liepard made a parting shot with Fake Out. SpeakNoEvl won at Level 53 with 67/134 HP.

JIMENA the trainer acquired the Surf HM and backtracked to the beginning of Unova to Surf west and battle the trainers there. Many of them had Water types as expected and were easy to kill with Seed Bomb. One of the luckiest critical hits in the game was a Return against Veteran Ray's Darmanitan, a Fire type that would likely have murdered Pansage.

Twist Mountain could be easily descended with the snowdrifts in winter, though I tried to find as many trainers to battle as possible for experience. Ace Trainer Jordan's Klang and its Gear Grind nearly defeated SpeakNoEvl. One bonus of playing in Winter was the Substitute TM in the cave, which will probably come in handy for blocking status ailment moves near the end of the game. The Rare Candy on top of a snowdrift in Icirrus City was another bonus.

The subordinate trainers in the Ice type Gym in Icirrus were so weak, Pansage could kill them without taking damage. Unevolved Cubchoos should not have been their line of defense. Some of that may have been due to lucky critical hits, though.

I remember seeing jokes online about Brycen being weak, but this Gym Leader claimed victory over SpeakNoEvl with his Level 37-39 squad. Working Up against Vanillish resulted in an always critical Frost Breath. Beartic was too hardy to die to a +1 Seed Bomb, and an Icicle Crash buried Pansage.

DEATH COUNT: 15

Lucky Egg clearly wasn't going to work. SpeakNoEvl had to suffer the experience penalty and equip Eviolite instead. This item gave Pansage better protection than Defense and Special Defense: a favorable AI script. Vanillish wasted 3 turns in a row increasing its Defense with Acid Armor, and SpeakNoEvl Worked Up 3 times. Frost Breath missed and allowed Pansage to defeat Vanillish with 2 Seed Bombs. At +3 Attack, Beartic and Cryogonal had no chance. Pansage conquered without taking any damage at Level 59. Don't know what made the computer behave this way, but Pokemon battles are highly variable compared to slower paced RPGs.

Next up is the inevitable "evil team gauntlet" in the late game. (e.g. Goldenrod Radio Tower, Aether Foundation, the Rose Tower elevator, etc.) There probably won't be much to talk about in the Relic Castle or Dragonspiral Tower.

Stats and Moves

Level 59 @ Lucky Egg

HP: 149
Attack: 108
Defense: 70
Special Attack: 74
Special Defense: 70
Speed: 127

Return
Work Up
Crunch
Seed Bomb

Pokemon White Solo Simisage Part 6: Another Anticlimactic Boss Battle

Team Plasma was so pathetic in Dragonspiral Tower and Relic Castle, I didn't bother to record any of the battles in my Microsoft Word notes. Was Pokemon White rushed? The Seven Sages should have been Admins in the style of Commander Mars. At least the endgame redeems Team Plasma!

Bianca's battle near the bridge to Opelucid City featured a Level 38-40 team. Stoutland entered with an Intimidate debuff just as Herdier did. SpeakNoEvl and Stoutland started a Work Up war for two turns. Then Pansage unleashed a Seed Bomb. Another Work Up seemed wise against Serperior, though it could have been dangerous if allowed to increase its stats with Coil too many times. A Slam was the punishment for Return. Pansage's 1st attack sent Serperior into Full Restore range, and a critical Return later on broke the cycle.

Crunch was on my move list specifically for sturdy Psychic types like Musharna, and Seed Bomb drained Bianca's Simipour. SpeakNoEvl triumphed at Level 63 with 120/158 HP.

Pansage battled the trainers on Route 9 and in the local mall. Rich Boy Manuel's idea of conspicuous consumption was. . .a Level 36 Liepard. The same Pokemon all those useless Team Plasma Grunts had.

Trainers in the Opelucid City Gym used Dragon types like Deino, Fraxure, and Druddigon. Druddigon was the most dangerous of the three since it had decent Defense, a Dragon Claw attack, and Rough Skin. Physical attackers get more powerful moves in the later generations, but the cost is that many passive abilities punish "contact" moves. Think of Cute Charm for infatuation, Static for paralysis, and Rough Skin for recoil damage.

SpeakNoEvl's 1st round against Iris's Level 41-43 team occurred with the Lucky Egg equipped. It would also be the last round. Pansage got a free Work Up when Fraxure tried Dragon Dance. Every trainer in this Gym used Dragon Dance with their Fraxure, so it must have been a high AI priority.

Pansage returned Fraxure to its Poke Ball, and a Return critical bludgeoned Druddigon. Two Returns slew Haxorus, and SpeakNoEvl acquired his 8th badge flawlessly. Druddigon didn't even have Rough Skin, and Haxorus used Dragon Dance instead of attacking.

Stats and Moves

Level 66 @ Lucky Egg

HP: 165
Attack: 120
Defense: 77
Special Attack: 82
Special Defense: 78
Speed: 141

Return
Work Up
Crunch
Seed Bomb

Pokemon White Solo Simisage Penultimate Part: Rare Candy Diet

Cheren's final battle before Victory Road led with the two perfect Pokemon to counter SpeakNoEvl. Unfezant survived a Return and replied with an Air Slash before falling, and Simisear launched a Flame Burst. Lucky Egg was not an option.

DEATH COUNT: 16

With Eviolite, Pansage was safer against Unfezant. But even a +1 Return from Work Up failed to KO, allowing for 1 Air Slash. The rest of the Level 43-45 team, Simisear, Liepard, and Samurott, all perished after one Return or Seed Bomb.

Veteran Chester was the next trainer to claim victory over SpeakNoEvl. His Beartic rained an Icicle Crash on Pansage, and the following Escavalier cut him with X-Scissor.

DEATH COUNT: 17

Even random trainers sometimes required Eviolite's defensive boosts at this point. Pansage Worked Up, took an Icicle Crash, and fired a Seed Bomb against Beartic. Escavalier resisted all of Pansage's attacks, so two Returns was the best he could do against the X-Scissoring snail knight. Veteran Chester's last Pokemon was a Seismitoad that took 4X damage from Seed Bomb.

Victory Road trainers had competent Pokemon even if not many of the fights are recorded in my notes. I remember a Scolipede that scared Pansage into a critical Return to kill it as fast as possible. Black Belt Tyrone's Fighting types included a Hi Jump Kicking Scrafty and a Conkeldurr that pulverized Pansage with a Dynamic Punch.

DEATH COUNT: 18

SpeakNoEvl returned with Eviolite and charged 2 Work Ups against Black Belt Tyrone's Scrafty. A Scary Face didn't slow down Pansage enough for Mienfoo to outrun his Return, and Conkeldurr retreated after one Seed Bomb.

SpeakNoEvl climbed to the top of the Pokemon League mountain at Level 70, and made sure to take a detour to find hidden Rare Candies. But I wasn't going to use them until absolutely necessary to avoid wasting experience.

Caitlin the Psychic Elite 4 member seemed like the weakest opponent since Pansage had Crunch. I was right: SpeakNoEvl won on the 1st try with the Lucky Egg. Work Up and Crunch killed the entire Level 48-50 team, from Reuniclus to Sigilyph to Musharna to Gothitelle. The only attack that landed was a Psychic from Musharna during the time spent Working Up.

Shauntal's Ghost types were also weak to Crunch, but her Cofagrigus cast Will O Wisp. Burn status cost SpeakNoEvl 50% of his Attack and a fraction of max HP per turn, so I reset knowing he was doomed. Think of it like resetting when Condemn appears in Final Fantasy 5.

DEATH COUNT: 19

Pansage wore the Eviolite for the 2nd attempt, and used Substitute from a TM to dodge Cofagrigus's Will O Wisp. The AI wasn't smart enough to realize that status ailment movements failed when the doll was protecting Pansage, so I got 2 Work Ups. Crunch exorcised Cofagrigus and Chandelure, while Jellicent and Golurk were vulnerable to Seed Bomb. SpeakNoEvl won with 133/177 HP at Level 71, and the HP loss was a sacrifice for the Substitute.

Grimsley the Dark master was saved for 3rd place, mostly because I knew Intimidate was coming. What I had forgotten was Scrafty and its Sand Attack. Even Substitute didn't always help because Scrafty's AI often picked Poison Jab to break it. If Scrafty's punches didn't KO SpeakNoEvl, then Bisharp's X-Scissor did.

DEATH COUNT: 21

The 3rd attempt was more fortunate. Scrafty failed with 2 Sand Attacks before Poison Jabbing the Substitute, but a +2 Attack Seed Bomb wasn't sufficient to KO. I knew Grimsley would use a Full Restore for a free Work Up turn. At +3, Seed Bomb destroyed Scrafty. Bisharp needed 2 Seed Bombs to kill due to its Steel type, but Liepard and Krookodile perished after 1 Seed Bomb each. Pansage triumphed with 19/179 HP at Level 72. A close battle even with Eviolite!

Marshal was the Fighting type Elite 4 member, so I experimented with no item Acrobatics. It didn't work. Throh lowered Pansage's Speed with Bulldoze, Mienshao Jump Kicked, and Sawk with Sturdy skewered SpeakNoEvl with Stone Edge if he got that far. Conkeldurr's Hammer Arm cost me one attempt too.

DEATH COUNT: 24

Pansage didn't have a realistic chance at victory with either Eviolite + Work Up + Seed Bomb or no item Acrobatics. His only option to win while unevolved was to grow to Level 79 with Rare Candies. And even then it was difficult. Throh used Stone Edge instead of Bulldoze for the first move, making me wonder if player character level factors into the AI routine. Two Work Ups and a Seed Bomb defeated the judo Pokemon. Mienshao outsped thanks to an earlier Bulldoze and Jump Kicked Pansage. Seed Bomb defeated it and dropped Sawk to Sturdy 1 HP.

Pansage bit with Crunch to avoid activating Sturdy during the Full Restore turn, then Seed Bombed Sawk and Conkeldurr to win the final Elite 4 match at Level 79 with 49/196 HP. N's room in the Team Plasma castle contained the final Rare Candy in the main story, so here are Pansage's final stats:

HP: 198
Attack: 145
Defense: 93
Special Attack: 98
Special Defense: 93
Speed: 170

Pokemon White Solo Simisage Finale: Evolution at Last

If you thought School Kid Marsha was bad, N was much worse. His Level 52 Reshiram had no pity for Pansage and cast Fusion Flare every time, whether with a Substitute or not. I was hoping it would set up Light Screen instead. Solos are guaranteed to lose 1 battle against N since Zekrom is forced into the 1st party slot.

SpeakNoEvl experimented with several moves to replace Substitute, including one ill-fated Flash attempt. I knew I had figured out the solution when I tried Dig. But at Level 80 with SpeakNoEvl's stats, Dig was NOT a guaranteed KO at +1 Attack. Zoroark disguised itself as Klinklang and barely survived a Dig, resulting in another failure after Flamethrower singed SpeakNoEvl. Once, Pansage got as far as Carracosta, only to activate Sturdy with Seed Bomb and be impaled on a Stone Edge.

DEATH COUNT: 32

I had 3 choices at this point: gain levels with the punishing Unova experience curve, reroll the fight until Stone Edge missed from Carracosta, or evolve. The 3rd option was the least painful, and hey, I never promised a "solo Pansage" challenge. Here's what Simisage's stats looked like for the final fights:

Level 80

HP: 238

Attack: 217
Defense: 115
Special Attack: 170
Special Defense: 119
Speed: 229

Now that Eviolite was useless, SpeakNoEvl equipped Soft Sand to increase Dig's power. The Attack increase from evolution was so high that Work Up was unnecessary. Dig undermined Reshiram, Seed Bomb melted Vanilluxe, "Klinklang"'s illusion was broken by Seed Bomb, Dig rusted the real Klinklang, and Seed Bomb fossilized Archeops.

Carracosta inflicted the only damage Simisage took in the final N battle with Stone Edge. Seed Bomb salvos exhausted N's Full Restore supplies, and SpeakNoEvl won the hero duel with 174/238 HP.

The 1st attempt against Ghetsis almost always adds to the Death Count since his Cofagrigus loves to fling Toxic at the player. This playthrough was no exception, though Simisage at least held out until Hydreigon drowned him with Surf after scorching him with Fire Blast.

FINAL DEATH COUNT: 33

In previous Pokemon White solo challenges, I used the Pecha Berry to cure poison. Simisage tried that strategy again, and had a way to turn Ghetsis's fondness for Toxic against him. Work Up + Crunch sent Cofagrigus back to its pyramid. Acrobatics broke Hydreigon's back, as it had more power against neutral types than Return after Simisage ate his held item. Seismitoad, Eelektross, and Bouffalant were neutral or weak to Seed Bomb and all died in one hit each. Bisharp sliced with X-Scissor for the only direct attack against SpeakNoEvl, but 2 Seed Bombs knocked out the last Pokemon in the game. Simisage conquered the Unova region with 151/241 HP at Level 81.

How does Simisage compare to other elemental monkeys? It suffers from being a Grass monster, which is resisted by many types on offense and weak against many types on defense. (Unova Grass types are thankful they don't live in Johto, where the Pokemon League is blatantly biased against them.)

Seed Bomb is weakened by the common Intimidate ability used by enemies like the Lillipup family. The other monkeys aren't affected as much by that since their same type moves are special. Pansage does have a better start than Pansear, since it least it doesn't LOSE to the Pokemon it's supposed to beat! Incinerate is so bad that you'll envy Fire types with Ember. Pansage has trouble against early Flying types like Woobat until it gains a level margin above its opponents.

Don't really feel like trying the postgame with Simisage. I would have done it if Pansage had won the game, since beating Cynthia with an unevolved Pokemon would have been fun.

SpeakNoEvl the Simisage Final Stats and Moves

Level 81 @ Nothing

HP: 241
Attack: 219
Defense: 116
Special Attack: 172
Special Defense: 122
Speed: 232

Acrobatics
Work Up
Crunch
Seed Bomb

Pokemon Fire Red Solo Mankey Part 1: Inauspicious Beginning

Had enough time for at least one more quick Pokemon playthrough, and I hadn't played Fire Red in a long time. The trainer was named HEATHER after someone I once knew. She picked Charmander in Professor Oak's lab to give the rival Squirtle, but soon regretted it. BLUE gloated after his critical Tackle victory: "Yeah! Am I great or what?"

It seems pointless to create a DEATH COUNT before the solo character even appears, but add 1 to the total if you prefer.

The chosen Mankey knocked out Charmander and a subpar Mankey before surrendering to the Poke Ball. It may not have had the best nature, but anything with that good a performance in a random encounter deserved to be the star.

Initial Stats

Level 5 @ Nothing

Ability: Vital Spirit
Nature: Bashful

HP: 19
Attack: 14
Defense: 9
Special Attack: 8
Special Defense: 10
Speed: 13

Solo Mankey got no bonus or penalty from his personality, and Vital Spirit would at least guard him from random Hypnosis or Sleep Powder. Mankey held on with only 1 HP in his first battle against a wild Pidgey north of Viridian City. A wild Weedle in Viridian Forest poisoned him, forcing HEATHER to return to the Pokemon Center.

HEATHER and Mankey defeated the Bug Catchers in Viridian Forest and leveled to 10. Mankey had acquired his 1st Fighting type move, effectively a failsafe for non-variant players who picked Charmander in the beginning. Low Kick was based on the enemies' weight, making it perfect for heavy Rock types but questionable for light unevolved Pokemon.

Camper Liam of the famous "light years" remark had a Level 10 Geodude that succumbed to 2 Low Kicks. Mankey grew to Level 11 and gained the more consistent Fighting move Karate Chop. Sandshrew's critical hit Scratch and Sand Attack's accuracy decrease threatened but did not defeat Mankey.

HEATHER still had a detour to make before battling Brock. Rival BLUE still waited for her west of Viridian City with a Level 9 team. Two Karate Chops broke Pidgey's hollow bones, and two more smashed Squirtle's shell. Mankey grew to Level 12 with 26/33 HP, and the only damage he took was a Tackle from the Pidgey.

Brock's Level 12-14 team was still ahead of even a solo character by this point. The level curve in early Fire Red was less forgiving than some other Pokemon installments. Two Low Kicks broke Geodude, who retaliated with a Tackle. Onix was so heavy, it lost around 75% of its HP to the 1st Low Kick. Onix put up a fight with Rock Tomb and Tackle, but Mankey won at Level 13 with 15/34 HP.

Brock's signature TM Rock Tomb helped Mankey deal with those pesky Bug and Flying types, though its 80% accuracy disappointed HEATHER. Rock attacks in general tend to miss more than other types. Many opponents in Fire Red would resist Mankey's Fighting type, since Kanto had a disproportionate amount of Poison monsters. Ekans was especially annoying when it appeared because it had Intimidate to lower Mankey's Attack, and Poison Sting to cause gradual damage.

Super Nerd Miguel (the fossil guy) in Mt. Moon sent out a team of Grimer, Koffing, and Voltorb. Karate Chop made Voltorb free experience, but Poison Gas drained Mankey's HP during the first two phases. Rock Tomb was the best option for offense for the Poison types, and Mankey triumphed with 15/49 HP at Level 20.

HEATHER's first attempt at beating Misty's Levels 18-21 team occurred at Level 21. It was a bad sign when Staryu survived a Karate Chop. Not that it would have mattered when Starmie outswam Mankey and cast two Water Pulses for a guaranteed KO. Misty may be worse in Fire Red than in the original Red, since Starmie's Water Pulse can confuse and Bubblebeam can't. Starmie had been a competitive Pokemon species for years, so Mankey's best option was to level up.

Rival BLUE was possible to defeat yet still gave HEATHER a challenge with his Level 15-18 squad in Cerulean City. Pidgeotto did not drop dead after one Karate Chop, and a Gust blew much of Mankey's HP away. Abra could only fail to Teleport out of battle. Rattata ambushed Mankey with Quick Attack before taking a Karate Chop to the skull. It took 3 Karate Chops to shatter Squirtle, who spent its turns increasing Defense with Withdraw and spraying Water Gun. Mankey won with 10/52 HP at Level 22.

Mankey mugged the Nugget Bridge trainers as well as those on the way to Bill's house. He needed to do this anyway to get on the S.S. Anne later in the game, and doing it now leveled him to 26. Mankey had already replaced Scratch with Mega Kick after talking to the move tutor east of Mt. Moon, and the move would now save him.

HEATHER's Mankey was now guaranteed to KO Staryu with Karate Chop. Starmie was still faster because its stats were designed to torment low level player characters, and its Psychic type resisted Karate Chop. Two Mega Kicks destroyed Starmie with their 120 Normal type power, but I was concerned about its 75% accuracy. The second Water Pulse confused Mankey, but he focused and got the 50% roll to attack the opponent. Mankey limped out of the 2nd Gym with 8/60 HP at Level 26.

Stats and Moves

Level 26 @ Nothing

HP: 60
Attack: 53
Defense: 29
Special Attack: 25
Special Defense: 33
Speed: 51

Mega Kick
Rock Tomb
Seismic Toss
Karate Chop

The next part of the game should be easier, at least when Mankey meets a certain move tutor in Rock Tunnel.

Last edited:
Pokemon Fire Red Solo Mankey Part 2: Rock Tunnel Tedium

When Mankey beat up a Team Rocket member who hadn't fled the scene of the crime, HEATHER used the Dig TM he had stolen instead of returning it to its owners in the house a few feet away. The trainer's namesake probably wouldn't approve, but this is an RPG where property law is "finders keepers".

HEATHER and her Mankey defeated all the trainers around Vermilion City and aboard the S.S. Anne cruise ship without much trouble. She found a Brick Break TM in a cabin, the most reliable Fighting move in the GBA games in general. BLUE's entire Level 16-20 squad of Pidgeotto, Kadabra, Raticate, and Wartortle went down in one hit from Brick Break or Dig. It was at this point that the experience curve fell behind dramatically.

Relying on contact moves prevented Lt. Surge's battle from being an effortless victory at Level 34. Level 21 Voltorb did nothing but yield experience points, but Pikachu paralyzed Mankey with its Static ability when it fainted. This gave Raichu a real chance to cause a DEATH COUNT if I got unlucky "fully paralyzed" rolls. Shock Wave jolted Mankey down to 50/76 HP, but a single Brick Break was sufficient to earn the 3rd badge.

Next up was Rock Tunnel, perhaps the most annoying area in Fire Red. It was possible to make it through without Flash, but I wanted to talk to a hidden move tutor. Professor Oak's aide wouldn't cough up the HM until I caught 10 Pokemon. So I had to spend some time tossing Poke Balls. Trading a Spearow for Farfetch'd helped with the Pokedex. Farfetch'd took Mankey's place east of Vermilion City to catch a few Pokemon by using Peck, and was then unceremoniously stuffed into the PC.

Dig was weak in the GBA Pokemon games! It had only 60 base power, and once failed to kill a random trainer's Venonat. Or maybe it was the lack of a + Attack personality. Mankey learned Rock Slide from the tutor in Rock Tunnel, which was both stronger and more accurate than Rock Tomb.

Rock Slide still failed to KO a Level 20 Slowpoke once when Mankey was at Level 39. Does Mankey have a terrible Attack "individual value" or something? Oh well, there's a TM move I can pick up later that will help with that. (HINT: Solo Breloom used it in a Sapphire playthrough.)

Rock Tunnel had so many enemy trainers that I had to Dig out once to return to the Pokemon Center to restore Mankey's move PP. By the time HEATHER exited the cave and rested in Lavender Town, I thought it was time to end the session.

Stats and Moves

Level 40 @ Nothing

HP: 90
Attack: 82
Defense: 45
Special Attack: 36
Special Defense: 49
Speed: 82

Mega Kick
Rock Slide
Dig
Brick Break

(Mega Kick saw some use in Rock Tunnel against a Bulbasaur, and maybe a Slowpoke or two.)

Pokemon Fire Red Solo Mankey Part 3: In Which Wild Pokemon Are Better Than Gym Leaders Or BLUE

Mankey shook down the trainers around Lavender Town and Celadon City, which prepared him well for the 4th Gym. Most of the Kanto types were also part Poison, leading Mankey to throw Rock Slide or Dig under them. Brick Break saved PP if facing a low level Bellsprout or something. The runaway level curve meant Mankey was around 20 levels above his opponents. HEATHER defeated Erika in a clean sweep at Level 45. Mankey Mega Kicked Vileplume and Victreebel back into their Poke Balls, and a Brick Break defeated the pure Grass type Tangela.

HEATHER would probably have never found Team Rocket's Celadon City hideout if a Grunt weren't shouting about guarding a poster. The rest of the Grunts were easy experience, and Giovanni's team of Onix, Rhyhorn, and Kangashkan all happened to be slower and weak to Brick Break.

The 3rd flawless victory of this session came in Pokemon Tower. BLUE had clearly spent more time catching Pokemon than training them: of Pidgeotto, Exeggcute, Kadabra, Growlithe, and Wartortle, the strongest was Level 25. Even Growlithe's Intimidate couldn't prevent Mankey from smashing Wartortle with one Brick Break at Level 48 and -1 Attack.

Pokemon Tower had one opponent that nearly caused a DEATH COUNT. Mankey was already low on Rock Slide PP when he reached her, and Gastly cast Spite after one of them missed. Mankey had no other move that could hit Ghosts, considering the GBA generation gave the Gastly family Levitate to dodge Dig.

Level 30 Ghost Marowak was a surprisingly formidable enemy. Two Brick Breaks were necessary to destroy its high HP and Defense, and Bonemerang conked Mankey twice to reduce him to 66/110 HP. The Team Rocket Grunts at the top of the haunted tower were an afterthought.

I wanted to catch Snorlax to fill out the Pokedex, to advance the story, and to steal some Leftovers. It was the hardest opponent yet. Mankey tried Dig to keep it alive, but Snorlax Rested the damage off. Headbutt bashed Mankey down to 19/112 HP by the end of the battle. Not bad for an enemy 20 levels lower! Rock Slide and Sleep status from Rest finally gave HEATHER favorable odds to catch it in a Great Ball.

HEATHER got the Fly HM from a character who preferred to remain hidden and taught it to Farfetch'd. She entered Silph Co. in Saffron City, but not for the altruistic reason of saving the employees. No, she wanted experience from Team Rocket and BLUE, and a TM that would replace Mega Kick for good. . .

Level 50 @ Nothing

HP: 112
Attack: 105
Defense: 59
Special Attack: 48
Special Defense: 60
Speed: 107

Mega Kick
Rock Slide
Dig
Brick Break

Pokemon Fire Red is stingy with held items compared to other Pokemon games. Even berries have to be found in the S.S. Anne trash cans! Return is available in a building on the route south of Lavender Town, but that move had been used in so many solos that I wanted something different. How many times can I say that I've used Mega Kick in a challenge playthrough?

EDIT: Apparently you need the Itemfinder to get Leftovers in the Snorlax spot. . .which requires you to catch 30 Pokemon.

Pokemon Fire Red Solo Mankey Part 4: Silph Co Struggles

The Silph Co headquarters in Saffron City was the "evil team gauntlet" for Kanto. It also had a teleport maze for no good reason, but then again the Unova Gyms shot trainers out of cannons and make them ski jump across bottomless pits, so safety was never a priority for Pokemon engineers.

An anonymous Team Rocket Grunt who claimed to be one of the Rocket Brothers took advantage of a botched Rock Slide. His Golbat cast Confuse Ray, and since Mankey's Attack was much better than his Defense, he hit himself for considerable damage. I'm not sure what move knocked Mankey out, but the Confuse Ray and Rock Slide miss I remember.

(The 1st loss since Misty!)

HEATHER took her revenge with a Mega Kick to the Weezing, a successful Rock Slide for Golbat, and 2 Brick Breaks for the Koffing. I did NOT want to take my chances with Rock Slide any more than I needed to, so I used the half damage Fighting move.

Another Confuse Ray Golbat nearly did Mankey in, but he snapped out of it and killed Hypno too.

Rival BLUE should have won against Mankey with his team of monsters up to Level 40. HEATHER had found the Bulk Up TM on another floor to increase Mankey's Attack and Defense per use. Bulk Up blunted Pidgeot's Wing Attack, and a Brick Break grounded the bird. A critical Rock Slide scrambled Exeggcute, and Dig undermined Alakazam.

Alakazam had predicted damage with Future Sight, since I guess clairvoyance worked even when its opponent was underground. A critical Brick Break put down Growlithe, but its passive Intimidate reduced Mankey's Attack to normal. A Brick Break failed to KO Blastoise, who pointed its guns at Mankey and sprayed. . .Water Gun. Not Surf, not Hydro Pump, not even Water Pulse. Water Gun. Mankey survived with 21/127 HP at Level 57 thanks to BLUE's terrible movesets.

If you think Water Gun Blastoise is bad, consider Gym Leader Opal in Sword and Shield who has a Galar Weezing with Tackle.

HEATHER advanced to Giovanni, only to be defeated by a passive contact ability. Nidorino activated Poison Point upon dying to Dig, and without Bulk Up, Dig wasn't strong enough to beat Nidoqueen in one attack. Nidoqueen Body Slammed Mankey, who barely held on through Kangaskhan until he died of his ailment against Rhyhorn.

Mankey learned well after the failed attempt and cast Bulk Up when Nidorino was out. Rock Slide may have failed HEATHER before, but this time it saved Mankey since it wasn't a contact move. A +1 Dig destroyed Nidoqueen, and Brick Breaks slapped Kangaskhan and Rhyhorn. The only damage Mankey took from the Level 35-41 opponents was a Horn Attack while buffing himself.

Stats and Moves

Level 57 @ Nothing

HP: 127
Attack: 120
Defense: 68
Special Attack: 55
Special Defense: 68
Speed: 127

Bulk Up
Rock Slide
Dig
Brick Break

Pokemon Fire Red Solo Mankey Part 5: Unexpectedly Easy Victories

Before taking on the "real" Saffron City Gym, Mankey tackled the demoted Fighting Dojo. Black Belt Koichi had Level 37 Pokemon and opened with Hitmonlee. Mankey Bulked Up as Hitmonlee pounded him in the face with Hi Jump Kick. +1 Brick Breaks forced both Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan to surrender their black belts, and Mankey left the arena at Level 58 with 88/129 HP.

As the Psychic type Gym Leader with up to Level 43 Pokemon, Sabrina should have been one of the toughest adversaries for an unevolved Fighting type. What happened instead was Kadabra selecting Calm Mind to increase Special Attack and Special Defense instead of attacking. This gave Mankey enough time to Bulk Up and burrow under Kadabra, Mr. Mime, and Alakazam with Dig. Alakazam predicted a Future Sight that would have damaged Mankey. . .if he didn't bury Venomoth under a Rock Slide for a flawless victory at Level 60.

HEATHER and Mankey prepared for the next Gym by mugging the bikers on Cycling Road west of Celadon City. Mankey's subpar Attack stat led to situations where Rock Slide failed to KO a Level 28 Weezing.

Fuchsia City's Gym was nominally dedicated to the Poison type, but the subordinate trainers tended to have Drowzees and Hypnos. Was that family originally supposed to be Psychic/Poison or something?

Koga was another flawless victory that shouldn't have happened. His 1st Koffing cast Smokescreen to reduce Mankey's accuracy, and Muk increased its evasion with Minimize as Mankey Dug under him. Brick Break at +1 killed both of the Koffings even though they resisted Fighting. Didn't want to rely on Rock Slide when it was unnecessary, particularly while a Smokescreen blinded my solo character. Level 43 Weezing survived a +1 Rock Slide, but it must have been Mankey's lucky day when he dodged Toxic. A Brick Break finished off Weezing and HEATHER got her 6th badge.

HEATHER visited the Safari Zone to pick up Gold Teeth for the Warden to trade for Strength, and the Surf HM. The gift Lapras from Silph Co learned both moves. There was one thing missing from this playthrough so far: an appropriate nickname from the Name Rater in Lavender Town. I chose LANDSLIDE mostly due to the love-hate relationship with Rock Slide, but the flawless victories against Sabrina and Koga were another reason.

Next time, Mankey will beat up the trainers of southeastern Kanto to get ready for Blaine. He won't have any Burn Heal, so he'll need all the experience he can get. One note for other solo players is that a Double Team TM is available in the Safari Zone for weaker Pokemon if they need evasion for the Elite 4 and Champion.

Stats and Moves

Level 64 @ Nothing

HP: 141
Attack: 134
Defense: 76
Special Attack: 61
Special Defense: 76
Speed: 142

Bulk Up
Rock Slide
Dig
Brick Break

Pokemon Fire Red Solo Mankey Part 6: NPCs Let You Say No?

Battling the trainers in southeast Kanto and the seas around Fuchsia City and Pallet Town was so dull that I skipped the route east of Cinnabar Island and west of the Seafoam Islands. We may praise the nonlinearity of earlier Pokemon games, but it comes at the cost of fighting Level 28 monsters at the time of the 7th badge. That's why I enjoy Pokemon White solos more. Enemies tend to be at higher levels, and the experience curve means you aren't so far ahead of them as in earlier generations.

HEATHER found the key in the Pokemon Mansion on Cinnabar Island, birthplace of Mewtwo. She answered all the questions in the Fire type Gym correctly and sidestepped all the trainers until Gym Leader Blaine.

Blaine's team started with a Growlithe that of course had Intimidate. I thought 2 Bulk Ups were necessary to counter that and allow for 1 hit KOs later. Growlithe's 1st Fire Blast missed, but the 2nd connected and singed LANDSLIDE. Brick Breaks sent Ponyta and Rapidash to the glue factory. Level 47 Arcanine seemed threatening because of its Intimidate, but a single Rock Slide buried it under the Gym's rubble. LANDSLIDE earned his 7th badge at Level 72 with 112/158 HP.

Bill asked HEATHER if she wanted to visit the Sevii Islands, but she wasn't interested in any sidequests. Surprisingly, he didn't behave like the "but thou must" princess in Dragon Quest 1 when HEATHER said no. Bill honored her refusal and left Cinnabar Island.

HEATHER returned to Viridian City and entered the Gym. She only needed to fight 2 trainers before the final Giovanni rematch. (The Pokemon League must not perform background checks on its members.) LANDSLIDE boosted his Attack and Defense with Bulk Up against a Rhyhorn, who made the smart move by casting Scary Face to slow Mankey down.

At -2 Speed, Dugtrio was fast enough to go first and cast Earthquake on LANDSLIDE before dying to a Brick Break. Burrowing underground with Dig against Nidoqueen wasn't a good idea since Earthquake caved in the tunnel for double damage. At least Dig was a one hit knockout. LANDSLIDE couldn't afford to try Dig against Nidoking for fear of another "terremoto" so he had to resort to resisted Brick Breaks. Giovanni healed Nidoking twice with Hyper Potions before it finally succumbed. The last Gym Leader's final Pokemon was. . .a Level 50 Rhyhorn. Not a Rhydon. One Brick Break ended the battle at Level 73 with 30/160 HP.

HEATHER bonked LANDSLIDE on the head to remove Dig at last and replace it with Earthquake from Giovanni's TM. She walked west of Viridian for another Rival BLUE rematch. Bulk Up buffed LANDSLIDE when Pidgeot was sent out, though he had to take a Wing Attack before dispatching it with Brick Break. Alakazam was Earthquake's first victim. A Growlithe Intimidated LANDSLIDE before falling to Brick Break. Its partner Rhyhorn died the same way.

BLUE's Exeggcute resisted all of Mankey's moves except for Rock Slide, and it took two of them to KO. Exeggcute cast Stun Spore to paralyze LANDSLIDE, which should have left him at the mercy of Level 53 Blastoise's water cannons. BLUE had learned nothing since the Silph Co battle and had Blastoise sprinkle Water Gun again. Two Brick Breaks made turtle soup, and Mankey survived at Level 73 with only 13/160 HP. That isn't a good sign for the final battle!

Stats and Moves

Level 73 @ Nothing

HP: 160
Attack: 153
Defense: 86
Special Attack: 69
Special Defense: 86
Speed: 161

Bulk Up
Rock Slide
Earthquake
Brick Break

Pokemon Fire Red Solo Mankey Part 7: Choking At The End

HEATHER evaded some trainers on Victory Road, but not all that she could have. She reached the Pokemon League at Level 74 and confronted Lorelei, the Ice specialist of the Elite 4. Level 52 Dewgong merely set up Safeguard against LANDSLIDE for a free Bulk Up. Brick Break or Rock Slide knocked out Dewgong, Cloyster, Jynx, and Lapras. Her worst monster was a Level 52 Slowbro that had high Defense and was neutral to all of Mankey's attacks. Two Earthquakes were needed to subdue Slowbro, and Mankey won at Level 75 with 85/164 HP.

Bruno's Level 51 Onix had low Attack and gave breathing turns for Bulk Up. It struck LANDSLIDE with Earthquake and Rock Tomb, but a critical Brick Break shattered stone. Another Onix, Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee, and a Level 56 Machamp all fell to a single Brick Break. LANDSLIDE won at Level 75 with 131/164 HP.

Mankey equipped a Chesto Berry for Agatha in case she tried Hypnosis or something, but it wasn't necessary. The 1st Gengar liked to set up illusion clones with Double Team, but the first +1 Rock Slide not only hit but made it flinch. Another Rock Slide killed it after Agatha healed Gengar with a Full Restore. Rock Slide buried Golbat and Haunter, and 2 Rock Slides exorcised the Level 58 Gengar after it ate a Sitrus Berry to heal. Gengar #2 flung a Sludge Bomb at Mankey before expiring. Arbok had Intimidate but was weak to Earthquake and died in one hit anyway. LANDSLIDE won again, but I don't have the HP count in my notes.

Lance opened with a Level 56 Gyarados with the dreaded Intimidate. It usually cast Dragon Rage for a fixed 40 damage, a significant amount for an unevolved Pokemon to deal with, but not immediately fatal. Its other move was the weak Dragon type Twister. Two Bulk Ups and a Rock Slide hooked Gyarados, but the 1st Rock Slide against Aerodactyl missed. Maybe it was Team Rocket Grunt's Golbat's cousin. It reduced Mankey's Speed with Scary Face and lashed him with Wing Attack before falling to a successful Rock Slide. Level 60 Dragonite was now faster than LANDSLIDE and cast Outrage for the finishing blow.

Rock Slide hit Aerodactyl on the 1st try in Take 2, but HEATHER learned to her horror that +1 Rock Slide was not enough to kill Dragonite with an Attack "individual value" that bad and a neutral nature.

DEATH COUNT: 5

Three Bulk Ups against Gyarados sounded like a good idea, but Rock Slide whiffed against Dragonite.

LANDSLIDE the Mankey succeeded on the 4th attempt at Level 77 with 71/168 HP. Aerodactyl was part Rock and therefore neutral to Brick Break, a less risky move than Rock Slide. Both Dragonairs fell to a single +2 Brick Break each.

Rival BLUE took my mocking of his movesets to heart when designing his Champion team. His lead Pidgeot had one of the worst possible selections for a solo Mankey. Featherdance lowered Attack by 2 stages, Sand Attack decreased Accuracy, and Aerial Ace was a super effective move with perfect accuracy. Alakazam usually wasn't a factor since it died in one hit to Earthquake, but if that missed Mankey had to fear Psychic.

Exeggutor was the toughest opponent since it resisted everything but Rock Slide, high Defense and HP, and Giga Drain to restore its health. If LANDSLIDE somehow made it past Exeggutor, he was likely to perish against Arcanine's Extremespeed or Flamethrower. This statistic implies the frustration inherent in this battle:

DEATH COUNT: 19

After the first few failures, Mankey grew to Level 81 with Rare Candies. It still wasn't enough. Especially when three of those deaths were Pidgeot rolling a critical Aerial Ace! I tried various TMs temporarily, from Taunt to Double Team. Aerial Ace almost worked when Pidgeot insisted on using Sand Attack repeatedly. Sand Attack paid off when Mankey kept whiffing Earthquakes against Rhydon, who retaliated with its own tremors. Arcanine ouran Mankey since Rhydon had also used Scary Face, and Flamethrower roasted LANDSLIDE.

So it seems the only option is to leave Indigo Plateau and level up some more. The Sevii Islands, the sea east of Cinnabar Island, and Victory Road have some intact trainers. Fire Red provides the Vs Seeker for trainer rematches too. There are probably still some Rare Candies left to find too, since I had only gotten 4 by the endgame. If I toss Ultra Balls at enough monsters, I can get Leftovers from the Snorlax's resting place west of Celadon City.

Stats and Moves

Level 81 @ Nothing

HP: 176
Attack: 169
Defense: 94
Special Attack: 77
Special Defense: 95
Speed: 179

Bulk Up
Rock Slide
Earthquake
Brick Break

Pokemon Fire Red Solo Mankey Finale: Twitch Plays The Germonik Scriptures

After BLUE's Pidgeot smote him too many times, LANDSLIDE the Mankey vowed to kill the Twitch Plays Pokemon messiah. Perhaps I should have named him NIETZSCHE instead. As part of her quest for the Itemfinder, HEATHER resurrected the demonic Dome Fossil and evolved Eevee into Flareon.

The Itemfinder yielded many Rare Candies. Fire Red was oddly generous on this account compared to other Pokemon games. LANDSLIDE pummeled the trainers in the sea, in Victory Road, and in the Sevii Islands, including a biker gang that was menacing Three Island. The opponents were in the mid to late 30s level range, but since this wasn't Unova or Alola the experience gains were enough to make Mankey reach Level 86.

Getting the Leftovers required using the Itemfinder on top of Snorlax's resting place. Who would have guessed that on their own?!

Lorelei was so easy at Level 86 that Mankey didn't need to Bulk Up. Bruno was a flawless victory since the only action the enemy took was a failed Scary Face by Machamp. Agatha was tricky since her 1st Gengar kept casting Double Team to dodge Rock Slide. It was nearly a DEATH COUNT by PP loss. Lance was not a perfect battle, but LANDSLIDE was still at max HP at Level 88 by the end thanks to Leftover healing.

I thought Mankey would have a chance at beating BLUE without any more leveling, right? WRONG! Pidgeot sent a critical Aerial Ace from the heavens at the blasphemous Mankey after the 2nd Bulk Up, and a followup Aerial Ace struck him down.

FINAL DEATH COUNT: 20

At this point, I used so many Rare Candies out of spite that LANDSLIDE grew to Level 95 (!). A +1 Brick Break sacrilege destroyed Pidgeot after a normal Aerial Ace. Alakazam and Exeggutor fell to Earthquake and Aerial Ace respectively. Rhydon was safe enough to try another Bulk Up to prepare for Arcanine's Intimidate. By the time Rhydon fell into an Earthquake fissure, Leftovers had fully healed the Aerial Ace damage.

But LANDSLIDE wasn't safe yet. Rhydon's Scary Face meant that Arcanine could abstain from Extremespeed and cast a Flamethrower that roasted Mankey down to 123/205 HP. A single Earthquake toppled Arcanine. Next was the final enemy in the game, a Level 63 Blastoise. Blastoise summoned weather with a Rain Dance to boost its Water attacks, and all Brick Breaks barely failed to KO.

Mankey's questionable individual stats and nature would curse him even to the end of the game. BLUE wasted so many rounds healing Blastoise with Full Restores that the rain abated. Blastoise's only Hydro Pump missed its target, and one last Brick Break sent LANDSLIDE to the Hall of Fame with 195/205 HP!

Final Stats and Moves

Level 95 @ Leftovers

HP: 205
Attack: 197
Defense: 110
Special Attack: 89
Special Defense: 111
Speed: 209

Bulk Up
Aerial Ace
Earthquake
Brick Break

I thought this playthrough would be relatively mundane, and certainly didn't expect the difficulty soar at the end of the game! Be sure to consider the Champion's Pidgeot when planning a challenge run using anything weak to Flying. It was the cruelest leading Pokemon this side of N's Reshiram in White. Aerial Ace prevents players from getting an easy win with evasion, unlike Red's team in Crystal. Mankey was a typical physical attacker, but there was some creativity in the moveset with Mega Kick and Aerial Ace at least.

No, I'm not doing the postgame. I'm glad this playthrough is over, especially when it took until Level 95 to win the main campaign.

Pokemon Crystal Solo Tentacool Part 1: 100 Pounds of Jellyfish

Tentacool is the reason Pokemon trainers carry Max Repels while Surfing. It's the Zubat of the sea. Can a New Bark Town trainer redeem Tentacool in a solo challenge?

KAYLA reeled in a Level 10 Tentacool named HANAR with the Old Rod to the south of Violet City with the following stats:

Attack: 13
Defense: 14
Special Attack: 17
Special Defense: 27
Speed: 20

Tentacool's starting attacks are comparable to Weedle's, and are based on its inferior physical stats: Constrict (10 power, Normal) and Poison Sting (15 power, Poison). It gets worse when you realize that between Violet City and Azalea Town there are many Poison, Rock, and Ground enemies that are either immune to Poison Sting's side effect, or take minimal damage with resistances and high Defense. Even Bug Catcher Wade's Weedle to the east of Violet City took many Poison Stings to kill.

HANAR was so feeble, she actually managed to lose to Sage Troy's Hoothoot at the top of Sprout Tower.

The only hope HANAR had for defeating the trainers south of Violet City was Supersonic, a confusion inducing move with 55% accuracy, plus a coin flip chance of the enemy hitting itself instead of HANAR. With these odds, HANAR outlasted Zubats, both Nidoran genders, Wooper, Goldeen, and a Level 15 Magikarp. You know you've picked the wrong solo Pokemon when a Magikarp's Tackle is a legitimate threat. Fisher Henry's Poliwag made HANAR sleepy with Hypnosis for many rounds too.

Frieda the Friday girl gave KAYLA a gift: a Poison Barb that slightly increased the power of Poison attacks. I had set the game to Friday for a different reason that will be relevant much later.

Tentacool barely defeated Sage Li on the second attempt with 3/37 HP remaining at Level 14, and that was only because of a lucky critical hit against the Bellsprout. By the time KAYLA reached Union Cave, HANAR was at Level 15. Tentacool is burdened with the worst experience group in Crystal, as if it aspired to be a legendary!

Any other Water type would have the sense to know Bubble or Water Gun by Union Cave. Not Tentacool, who lost to a Tackle from Hiker Russel's Level 8 Geodude! Russel was also a spinning trainer who could start a fight even when I wasn't looking for one, so HANAR fainted again after failing to confuse a Geodude. . .5 consecutive times.

Firebreather Bill complained about Zubat's Supersonic, only to run into KAYLA and her Tentacool who used exactly the same tactic. It was a life or death fight with Level 6 Koffings at Level 15. Another Firebreather's Vulpix inflicted Burn with Ember.

Hiker Anthony east of Azalea Town, the usual nemesis in these solo challenges, buried Tentacool under a Rock Throw after Supersonic kept wearing off.

Team Rocket in the Slowpoke Well wounded Tentacool with Rattatas, and she only hung on with 2/41 HP at Level 16. A Level 9 Zubat caused HANAR to slap herself with her own tentacles, and the last opponent's Level 14 Koffing knocked her out too. Another encounter with Hiker Anthony was no more successful than last time.

DEATH COUNT: 7

Slowpoke Well Koffing beat down HANAR two more times when Supersonic luck was abysmal, and I had almost won on the latter attempt. Only with the help of an equipped Berry, Constrict, and better Supersonic rolls did HANAR drive out Team Rocket.

DEATH COUNT: 9

I tried to defeat Bugsy with my existing moveset. Kakuna was excruciatingly slow because of its Defense and Poison typing, but I had a slim chance with Poison Sting and Supersonic. Too bad Scyther abandoned Fury Cutter and lashed out with Quick Attack.

DEATH COUNT: 10

HANAR fought wild Hoppips and Spearows on Hiker Anthony's route until she learned Acid at Level 19. If you're excited to learn a 40 base power attack, something has gone wrong. Tentacool fared no better against Hiker Anthony than before.

DEATH COUNT: 11

With Supersonic confusion and a critical Acid, Tentacool slew Bugsy's Scyther at Level 19 with 23/48 HP. The second Rival ??? fight at the edge of Azalea Town was stressful. Supersonic + Acid dispelled Gastly, who only had time to cast Spite to reduce Acid's PP. Zubat was Supersonic vs Supersonic, and both sides took self-inflicted pain. Acid was super effective against Bayleef, though Razor Leaf shaved Tentacool down to 6/50 HP at Level 20.

The worst still wasn't over after the Azalea Town gauntlet. Tentacool couldn't learn Headbutt from the Ilex Forest TM, and Camper Elliot's Marill flattened HANAR with a Rollout combo after Sandshrew dropped her accuracy to nothing with Sand Attack. Yes, the boyfriend who's a joke within the game managed to defeat KAYLA. Elliot's girlfriend Picnicker Brooke ironically failed to attack Tentacool once. Her Pikachu missed with Growl and melted under two Acids.

DEATH COUNT: 12

Tentacool mugged some trainers in Goldenrod City, the route to the north, and the National Park before reaching Level 25 in a battle with Psychic Mark's Abras and Kadabra. At Level 25, Tentacool dramatically improves thanks to learning Bubblebeam, a base 65 power Water attack used by Misty in the original games. Camper Elliot forgot to use Rollout this time and KAYLA avenged her defeat with Acid and Bubblebeam. HANAR cleared out the Goldenrod Underground trainers, which I had skipped earlier because I remembered they had Magnemites.

At Level 26, HANAR was barely ready for Whitney. Two Bubblebeams popped on Clefairy, who Doubleslapped Tentacool for 5 hits. Miltank sometimes snapped out of Supersonic confusion sometimes, but preferred Stomp to Rollout. Attract was useless against a female Pokemon, and Bubblebeams soaked Miltank to death. Tentacool was still at Level 26, but with only 3/63 HP remaining. Decided to take a well-earned break after the dreadful early game!

Pokemon Crystal Solo Tentacool Part 2: Coasting to Victory

A common problem in RPGs is that early areas are more difficult than later areas, since you have more options as you progress. This playthrough so far has been no exception. Once Whitney fell to HANAR's Bubblebeams, two more towns followed. Sudowoodo did not succumb to one Water attack, and struck back with a low HP Flail.

None of the Kimono Girls' Eevee evolutions in Ecruteak City were difficult to fight, even the ones where Tentacool had a bad type matchup. HANAR gained the move responsible for making Water types overpowered in Crystal: Surf! Surf had 95 base power, and combined with same type attack bonus, only those who resisted it were worthy opponents.

Rival ??? in Burned Tower was a flawless victory at Level 29. Even Bayleef refused to attack and instead tried Growl and Reflect as HANAR spewed Acid. Morty was another perfect victory at Level 31, since his Ghost types only used Spite and a failed Hypnosis as HANAR rode the waves.

Red Gyarados was the toughest opponent yet since the guy with the Koffing in Slowpoke Well. I needed to catch it since it was the best noncombat HM user, but Red Gyarados refused violently. HANAR fainted twice to Thrash and once to the fixed 40 damage Dragon Rage. Only Supersonic + Surf + a lucky Great Ball prevented a third loss.

DEATH COUNT: 15

Mahogany Town was a high priority for Tentacool because the region had 2 TMs and a Special stat boosting badge. Team Rocket was so moribund that even an unevolved Pokemon in the Slow experience group could sleepwalk through their hideout. The closest they came to a threat was a Gloom that missed with Sleep Powder. The final wild Electrode at the generator that Self Destructed and left HANAR with 8/84 HP at Level 35 should have been their Executive instead!

HANAR equipped the Poison Barb to confront Pryce at Level 36. Seel slowed Tentacool with a weak Icy Wind before falling to the second Sludge Bomb. Dewgong had Headbutt and forced Tentacool to flinch at least once. But HANAR's Sludge Bombs poisoned Dewgong. Piloswine was too slow to swim out of Surf, and Tentacool won at Level 37 with 33/89 HP.

While fighting Pryce's trainers, Tentacool had replaced Acid with the +Defense move Barrier. Don't know if KAYLA will ever use it, but there's no Move Relearner in Crystal. Pryce's Icy Wind TM kicked out Poison Sting for good. KAYLA will need an Ice move for Lance's Dragonites!

Pokemon Crystal Solo Tentacool Part 3: You're Not Ready for the Pokemon League

Chuck and Jasmine were both flawless victories. Jasmine was never allowed to take a turn before Surf washed away her team. Chuck at least tried a failed Hypnosis and Mind Reader with his Poliwrath when it withstood the first Sludge Bomb. Tentacool has many woes, but being stuck on Jasmine is not one of them. She's the main obstacle for Flying types such as Noctowl.

Rival ??? in Goldenrod City was a legitimate battle. Golbat had enough Special Defense to survive a Surf and strike with Wing Attack, but Surf drowned Magnemite and Haunter. Sludge Bomb + Surf took out Sneasel, who lashed out with 2 Quick Attacks. Meganium set up Reflect instead of attacking, and 2 Sludge Bombs secured victory at Level 45 with 60/108 HP.

The Executives and Team Rocket Grunts in the radio tower were a free source of experience, even the Vileplume which whiffed a Sleep Powder. Made sure to pick up the Amulet Coin in the department store basement to gain more money from enemies. Barrier was replaced with Hydro Pump in case something in the Elite 4 could be killed with the extra damage. Tentacool also appreciated the Nevermeltice in the ice cave in case Icy Wind needed a damage boost. After pummeling trainers on the downhill slope south of Blackthorn City, HANAR avenged her losses to Hiker Anthony and Hiker Russell with the power of Surf. This wasn't just for symbolic purposes: HANAR grew to Level 50 during the Russell fight.

One troubling sign in the last Johto Gym was a Seadra surviving a Sludge Bomb. Clair confirmed my suspicions.

DEATH COUNT: 21

To defeat Clair, Tentacool first had to survive a gauntlet of 3 Dragonairs that liked to paralyze her with Thunder Wave before attacking with the inaccurate Normal move Slam or the much more dangerous Thunderbolt. HANAR usually limped to Kingdra, who zapped her with either Hyper Beam or Dragonbreath. Kingdra had enough Defense and HP to survive multiple Sludge Bombs, and Clair fed it a Hyper Potion if it was at critical HP. I tried various hold items, from Poison Barb to Nevermeltice to Przcureberry. Nothing worked at Level 51, and the best source of experience other than nonrenewable Rare Candies was to simply fight her a few times until reaching Level 52.

DEATH COUNT: 23

HANAR finally won at Level 52 with the help of 2 extra Special Attack from Calciums. A Przcureberry only cured the first Thunder Wave that landed, and Tentacool was still sluggish by the end. Kingdra was stupid this time and missed with Smokescreen. It usually cast Dragonbreath, and only used Hyper Beam once. Sludge Bomb managed to poison it, and HANAR conquered Blackthorn City's Gym at Level 52 with 8/126 HP.

At least if I have trouble with the Elite 4, I can fight them over and over for experience! Too bad the first one is Will the Psychic specialist. . .

Pokemon Crystal Solo Tentacool Part 4: Rare Candy Diet

The trainers on what passed for a "Victory Road" in this game, the watery route in southwestern Kanto, had Pokemon in the 30s level range at best. Crystal's pathetic regular trainers can work against you when you don't have enough experience for boss fights. Rival ???'s Victory Road cave appearance wasn't one of those difficult opponents, however. Body Slam from Meganium was the only enemy attack in that whole battle, since Surf or Sludge Bomb could one shot the rest of his team. HANAR won with 110/137 HP at Level 56.

Will's Psychic team in the Elite 4 wasn't quite as bad as I thought, since Tentacool had enough base Special Defense to take a super effective Psychic before going down. The problem was that this Psychic also had a high chance of lowering Special Defense, resulting in two losses to Exeggutor. Xatus took a Hydro Pump super soaker, and Sludge Bomb polluted Jynx. Slowbro preferred Amnesia stat boosts to attacking. When Tentacool triumphed on Take 3, she held on with 4/139 HP at Level 57.

DEATH COUNT: 25

Koga was promoted to the Elite 4 too soon. Tentacool's Surf was guaranteed to kill anything in two hits, and the Ariados died in one hit. Icy Wind was used to pick off the Psychic casting Venomoth in order to conserve PP. Muk's Minimize and Crobat's Double Team couldn't save them, and HANAR won at Level 58 with 107/142 HP.

Bruno, the derided Fighting specialist of the Elite 4, was vindicated when his Hitmonchan struck Tentacool with a critical hit Thunderpunch that also paralyzed her after Hitmontop had hurt her with Dig. Hitmonlee's Hi Jump Kick was the finisher.

DEATH COUNT: 26

Each "Hitmon" required two Surfs to kill, and Machamp was sturdy enough to take even a Hydro Pump. Its Cross Chop bisected HANAR.

DEATH COUNT: 27

On Take 3, HANAR used Sludge Bomb to kill the Hitmons after the initial Surf, and Machamp's Cross Chop failed to roll a critical. Tentacool moved on with 23/142 HP at Level 58.

Karen the Dark specialist was the worst Elite 4 member of all. She was similar to Agatha of Kanto in that she relied on status ailments rather than direct attacks. Umbreon tended to throw Sand Attack to lower HANAR's accuracy, Vileplume spread Stun Spore, and Gengar cast the Ghost type Curse if HANAR was either paralyzed or missed with Hydro Pump.

DEATH COUNT: 30

HANAR's victory was a fluke. Even with Sand Attack, Surf + Hydro Pump + Icy Wind never missed. Vileplume's Stun Spore failed, however, even though I had a Przcureberry to remove the effect. Surf was enough to drown the frail Murkrow and Houndoom.

Although HANAR the Tentacool had conquered the Elite 4, she was still no equal to Lance. Sludge Bombs could gut Gyarados, but the first Dragonite would barely survive an Icy Wind, even with Nevermeltice equipped. Its Hyper Beam or Thunder was enough to beach Tentacool.

DEATH COUNT: 33

It was necessary to gather the available Johto Rare Candies in order to prevent the Death Count from increasing much further. Along the way, HANAR cast Sludge Bomb on Suicune until it died. The legendary must have been holding back since it only attacked with Gust. . .

HANAR returned to Will at Level 60 and scored a flawless victory at Level 61. Surf was sufficient for the non-Slowbro members since I'd also picked up Mystic Water in Cherrygrove City. Slowbro only used Curse. Koga was another perfect victory since he only used a Full Restore or evasion moves on Muk and Crobat. Bruno managed to deal damage to Tentacool because most of his monsters still needed two hits to kill. For some reason Machamp used Rock Slide instead of Cross Chop this time. HANAR won with 38/153 HP at Level 62.

Extreme bad luck against Umbreon cost me the first Karen rematch. Sand Attack and Confuse Ray were a fatal combination.

DEATH COUNT: 34

I fought Lance without Rare Candies the first time because I wanted to see if I could save more of them for Red. Icy Wind was still too weak to chill the first Dragonite in one hit with Nevermeltice, and HANAR had taken damage earlier from Gyarados's Flail.

DEATH COUNT: 35

The magic level for becoming the Johto Champion was 65. Gyarados used Surf against me for reasons only known to the AI programmers. The lower level Dragonites went to absolute zero HP with Icy Wind, but the Level 50 version barely survived. Lance wasted these turns with Full Restore and Safeguard. One Surf was used to prevent Dragonite from drinking any more Full Restores, then an Icy Wind sent the underleveled Dragonite to its Poke Ball. Charizard and Aerodactyl were both slower than HANAR and weak to Surf, so Tentacool became the sole Hall of Fame member with 150/160 HP!

You're probably wondering why I set the game to Friday at the beginning. The reason for that is that Flamethrower, Ice Beam, and Thunderbolt aren't TMs in Crystal. Instead, a move tutor appears outside the Goldenrod City Game Corner and sells them for 4000 coins after you defeat Lance. The catch is that he only appears on certain days, and Saturday is one of them. Now HANAR has an Ice move with 95 base power and 100 accuracy for the endgame.

Physical Pokemon prefer Sunday as the day of the week because that's when Return appears in Goldenrod City.

Stats and Moves

Level 65

HP: 160
Attack: 94
Defense: 94
Special Attack: 118
Special Defense: 183
Speed: 133

Surf
Sludge Bomb
Ice Beam
Hydro Pump

Pokemon Crystal Solo Tentacool Part 5: In Which a Wild Snorlax is Better Than Most Gym Leaders

Lt. Surge seemed a poor choice for a first Kanto Gym Leader for an unevolved Water type in the Slow experience group. HANAR forced him to surrender while still at full HP at Level 67! With the Mystic Water equipped, Surf drowned Raichu and Magneton. Electabuzz barely survived and set up a Light Screen. After Surge fed it a Hyper Potion, Electabuzz succumbed to Sludge Bomb's side effect. Both Electrodes fell to one Sludge Bomb since Electric types were not known for their Defense.

Sabrina was the only Gym Leader in this update who dealt any damage at all to HANAR. Her Espeon survived a Poison Barb powered Sludge Bomb and cast Psychic to reduce Tentacool to 102/168 HP at Level 68. Alakazam and Mr. Mime collapsed after each Sludge Bomb.

Erika's Grass types withered under Nevermeltice + Ice Beam temperatures. Janine's Poison types that were underleveled even by Kanto standards fell to Ice Beam and Surf with Mystic Water equipped. HANAR gained 4 more levels from route trainers between Janine and Misty because reactivating the Power Plant was the only "plot" in this section.

Miracle Seed finally saw action against Misty. Tentacool learned Giga Drain from Erika's TM and sucked all the Water types dry at Level 75. That includes Lapras, and I'm not sure if Giga Drain would have scored the 1 hit KO without the critical hit.

Snorlax's Rollout struck HANAR and knocked her down to 177/189 HP. Two Sludge Bombs were sufficient to put it to sleep permanently, which made me more optimistic for Red.

HANAR used Miracle Seed + Giga Drain for Brock's Omastar and Kabutops. Graveler, Rhyhorn, and Onix all had an extra weakness to Surf anyway. While in Viridian City, KAYLA battled the male protagonist's doppelganger Cal who had all 3 evolved Johto starters. Ice Beam cooled Meganium, a critical Giga Drain destroyed Feraligatr, and Surf doused Typhlosion at Level 76 for a flawless victory.

Rival ???'s last stand in Mount Moon was a perfect victory at Level 77 with the help of Nevermeltice. Surf soaked Sneasel, Magneton, and Gengar. Alakazam couldn't foresee Sludge Bomb, and Ice Beam shot down Golbat and Meganium. Blaine should have yielded immediately considering this was a Water solo challenge at Level 78!

Only Blue and Red remain. Will Leftovers and the remaining Rare Candies be enough to win with a "fair" moveset, or will I have to resort to Double Team?

Pokemon Crystal Solo Tentacool Finale: This Makes Up for All the Bad Luck at the Beginning!

Blue's former Champion team was difficult for some solos, but not for a Level 78 Tentacool with Leftovers. Ice Beam shattered Pidgeot, Sludge Bomb covered Alakazam in gunk, and Surf eroded Rhydon. Gyarados could survive one round of water pollution, but it missed its one chance to Hydro Pump the jellyfish. Ice Beam sent Exeggutor to the frozen foods section, and Surf poured on Arcanine. Blue's only damaging move was an Extremespeed from Arcanine, and that was a turn order priority attack that I couldn't avoid with this moveset. HANAR triumphed with 159/197 HP.

In addition to the Johto Rare Candies, Kanto had some in Cinnabar Island, the Pokemon Fan Club in Vermilion City, and the eastern forest in the Mt. Silver region. With all the empty calories that KAYLA could provide, HANAR the Tentacool grew to Level 85 just before the final battle with Red.

Sludge Bomb sprayed toxic waste on Pikachu and critically hit Espeon, killing both in one hit each. It was a relief to see Red's Psychic Pokemon die instantly, especially after Sabrina's own Espeon survived a Sludge Bomb!

Snorlax prepared for a long battle by setting up Amnesia for +2 Special Defense. But the second Sludge Bomb inflicted Poison status, and the third sent Snorlax back to the Poke Ball. Snorlax had proved itself the most dangerous enemy on Red's team when its Body Slam pressed 100 HP out of Tentacool, who only had 215 at most. If Snorlax had Rested, it could have tried to stall me to death. There's a reason I used a couple of PP Ups on Sludge Bomb, the one decent physical move Tentacool could have!

Two Ice Beams were enough to give Venusaur the temperature of a corpse. It must have been ready to launch Solarbeams considering it had summoned Sunny Day. Three Giga Drains were necessary to crack Blastoise's shell. Blastoise used Blizzard twice, which mildly damaged Tentacool the first time and whiffed the second time. Giga Drain's low base power had an advantage for me: Sunny Day expired as Charizard entered the battle, just in time for one Surf to make HANAR the Champion of both Johto and Kanto at Level 85 with full health!

It was refreshing to defeat Red without having to use either Rest + Sleep Talk healing or Double Team evasion, an honor shared with Poliwag. But not even Poliwag could do it without Return, the staple attack for Johto solos.

Solo Tentacool was a fun playthrough, if frustrating at the beginning when I had to hope enemies would commit suicide in Supersonic confusion. It's hard to overstate how horrible Constrict and Poison Sting are as starter attacks, especially when so many early game Pokemon are either immune to Poison status or resist both moves.

Learning Bubblebeam at Level 25 is a major improvement, and once you learn Surf in Ecruteak City, the game becomes so simple that it's dull until Clair and her Dragons. Go to Mahogany Town as soon as you can to acquire Icy Wind and Sludge Bomb. You'll probably get Hydro Pump on the way to Ice Path if you've been fighting all the enemy trainers, which is useful for Elite 4 members such as Will. Even if you can beat Karen, you're not guaranteed to beat Lance until you're at a high enough level to kill the lesser Dragonites in one shot with Icy Wind + Nevermeltice. Kanto is as pathetic as always, and even Red can be easy if you have decent luck.

See you again in Pokemon White!

Final Stats and Moves

Level 85 @ Leftovers

HP: 215
Attack: 129
Defense: 131
Special Attack: 163
Special Defense: 248
Speed: 181

Surf
Sludge Bomb
Ice Beam
Giga Drain

Pokemon White Solo Swoobat Part 1: Special Request

superdeath on Realms Beyond put a bounty on Cynthia, and a Unova trainer with the codename DIAMOND became the bounty hunter. DIAMOND preferred the efficiency of a single Pokemon, but was stuck with Snivy and Panpour until he could find his preferred starter Woobat. DIAMOND was a nonconformist, and questioned the tradition of forcing new trainers into the Grass/Water/Fire trio. Probably to keep up the Striaton City Gym racket that sicced the appropriate elemental monkey on Pokemon League challengers in order to mug them.

It took many attempts to find the correct Woobat in Wellspring Cave. Some had the unfortunate Klutz ability, which denied the use of most held items. DIAMOND knew Ghetsis and his Toxic spewing Cofagrigus were coming, and there was no way Swoobat was going to win without a Pecha Berry to cure it. Other Woobats died to unwanted critical hits, and others had unsuitable personalities.

(One reason I replay Pokemon Crystal so often is that you don't have to worry about natures and passive abilities!)

The chosen Woobat had the following stats and was caught in a Heal Ball:

Level 10
Mild Nature (+Special Attack, -Defense), Quick Tempered
Ability: Unaware (ignores enemy stat boosts)

HP: 33
Attack: 16
Defense: ? (forgot to write that down somehow, but I think it was 14)
Special Attack: 19
Special Defense: 14
Speed: 21

Confusion
Odor Sleuth
Gust

DIAMOND and Woobat began their quest by pillaging the local preschool on Route 3. It was distasteful work, but Woobat needed the levels! DIAMOND wondered about his career decisions when School Kid Al's Blitzle zapped Woobat with Shock Wave on two separate occasions. He should have paid more attention and walked around him in the grass patch. . .

Assurance the Dark attack came in handy against School Kid Marsha's Woobat and any Munnas that came later. School Kid Gina's Patrat struck with Bite, and her Purrloin tore my Woobat apart with Fury Swipes.

One problem with using a Psychic/Flying type with Unova is that Dark and Rock attacks lurk around every corner. In the Pinwheel Forest outskirts, some trainers had Rock Throwing Timburrs. Preschooler Homer and his Roggenrola's Rock Blast buried Woobat, though in an unintentional second attempt, Roggenrola only set up Harden. Even after 3 generations of Pokemon since Crystal, the AI trainers seemed to behave randomly.

At Level 18, DIAMOND thought it was time to confront N in Nacrene City. N gave a speech about ideals, but DIAMOND was a pragmatist who believed only military force could change the world. Pidove charged with Quick Attack twice before being deceived by two Confusions. Tympole fell to two Confusions after a failed Supersonic, and Timburr was a lower level Fighting type who only needed one Confusion. Woobat conquered at Level 19 with 38/54 HP.

When a Nacrene City Gym's Herdier used Bite, DIAMOND knew Woobat would have to pummel the Audino population. They seemed innocent enough with Helping Hand, and Refresh, but sometimes they made Woobat infatuated with Attract, then attacked with Doubleslap. DIAMOND briefly considered teaching Woobat Attract at Level 25, but his sources in intelligence told him all of Lenora's Pokemon were female.

Lenora's Herdier succumbed to two Air Cutters, and the second took advantage of the increased critical chance. Herdier cast Leer to lower Woobat's Defense before dying, and it was clear a single hit from Watchog's Retaliate would have struck her down. In desperation DIAMOND ordered Woobat to strike with Heart Stamp in hopes of making Watchog flinch. Watchog's first move? A failed Hypnosis! Chesto Berry wasn't even necessary to win with two Air Cutters. Watchog's final move was Leer, and Woobat's first Gym Leader battle was a perfect victory.

Maybe a lone Swoobat would have a chance. . .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)