Help with VGC 2019 team. Kyogre/Dusk Mane.

So I've been building for the sun series and I am now confident that I have no idea what's going on. For some reason, I have 0 bearings on how to build a team aside from the super standard Kyogre/Xerneas core. This is a team I Just made using Dusk Mane Necrozma and I'm pretty sure there are a lot of things wrong and I was hoping one of you knowledgeable gents/ladies could just roast me and tell me why it's bad and give me some suggestions to help me wrap my head around this format.

1541875690813.png
Kyogre @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Water Spout
- Thunder
- Origin Pulse
- Protect

1541875721313.png
Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Atk / 180 SpD
Brave Nature
- Photon Geyser
- Sunsteel Strike
- Protect
- Trick Room

1541875740229.png
Raichu @ Focus Sash
Ability: Lightning Rod
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fake Out
- Nuzzle
- Thunder
- Encore

1541875757817.png
Dhelmise @ Assault Vest
Ability: Steelworker
EVs: 170 HP / 169 Atk / 169 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Earthquake
- Shadow Claw

1541875775587.png
Incineroar @ Figy Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 236 HP / 4 Atk / 32 Def / 236 SpD
Careful Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- Roar

1541875790327.png
Tapu Lele @ Psychic Seed
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 52 HP / 4 Def / 196 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Taunt
- Protect

Obviously, I have Trick Room, but I have no idea what I'm doing for speeds. I thought Dhelsmise would be a cool take over Ferrothorn, but I don't think its optimal. It just also kills Xerneas with Gyro Ball, but the EV spread is kind of gross and thrown together because I'm not sure what I need to live.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies <3

Obviously, I have Trick Room, but I have no idea what I'm doing for speeds. I thought Dhelsmise would be a cool take over Ferrothorn, but I don't think its optimal.
There's suggestion number one.

Also, why Raichu?

If you're running trick room you don't need to go max speed on Kyogre. Timid Kyogre is almost always worse than modest and you can afford to be slower so you can operate in TR. Getting 2kod by Groudon is probably a good benchmark.

Speaking of groudon, you probably want something that can switch in on groudon. I'd replace Raichu with something like Ludicolo.

Okay, so I changed The speeds and added Ludicolo.

Kyogre @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Water Spout
- Thunder
- Origin Pulse
- Protect

I really have no idea what I need to outspeed on Kyogre if it's not maxed speed. So, I just gave it HP. I haven't calced, but it does live Thunder now from stuff like Tapu Koko.

Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Atk / 180 SpD
Brave Nature
- Photon Geyser
- Sunsteel Strike
- Protect
- Trick Room

Unchanged.

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 142 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fake Out
- Grass Knot
- Scald
- Protect

Raichu was for a Kyogre partner that could protect him from incoming electric attacks but on a trick room team, he definitely was out of place. However, when I play Dhelmise and Ludicolo, Ludicolo feels redundant. Even if I was to take Ferrothorn over Dhelmise, it's like the same thing having two grass types. Grass Knot and Power Whip are for the same thing, so I need a little more insight on this one.

Dhelmise @ Assault Vest
Ability: Steelworker
EVs: 144 HP / 244 Atk / 12 Def / 108 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Earthquake
- Shadow Claw

I changed the EV's here to guarantee that Precipice Blades from Groudon takes 4HKO to kill. Kyogre's Water Spout is still a 3HKO, unfortunately. Gyro Ball OHKO's Xerneas, Power Whip OHKO's Kyogre, all that good stuff. Not sure if I should change this mon even though it's been solid on the team.

Incineroar @ Figy Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 236 HP / 4 Atk / 32 Def / 236 SpD
Careful Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- Roar

Unchanged.

Tapu Lele @ Psychic Seed
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 196 SpA / 36 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Taunt
- Protect

Changed this set to be a lot bulkier. Not sure if I just took too much HP. Even after calcing for a bit, I think I may just have a nonfunctioning brain. I'll probably take trick room on this for when I don't take Necrozma. Or should I just always take Necrozma?

Thanks, ck49. You always give me something to think about generalling speaking the team functions a lot better.

Not gonna lie, I haven't played DM-Ogre since the first week of the format so I'm not 100% sure what you bring against common archtypes. DM seems like something you bring more often than not, however.

I think the Ogre spread is fine. 252/148 lets you get 3kod (4ko'd after berry) by P-blades from groudon, which is a nice option for bulk if you don't mind investing less in SpA, but it depends on what you're prioritizing.

I'm still not sold on Dhelmise over Ferrothorn for any reason other than being different. Ghost coverage still isn't very good and the lack of recovery that Ferrothorn has hurts it. I can't imagine EQ and Shadow claw do enough damage to justify using them either. Also switching it to Ferrothorn leaves a you a little less weak to Yveltal, which seems problematic at the moment.

I think you need something to come in on Groudon, it doesn't have to be Ludicolo. Ludi isn't necessarily the best choice for the slot, but I do think it's nice to have a fast FO and something that can give you the option to operate outside of TR.

One thing I'd consider is running Tapu Fini or Koko over Lele. The first reason is because you're weak to Yveltal, the second is because if you set up TR there's a chance amoonguss comes in and spores your entire team. Koko gives you more a fast mode and lets you use taunt, or you can run AV. Fini let's you abuse heal pulse and swagger to boost up DM, which otherwise gets intimidate spammed to uselessness. Both can do damage to Yveltal and wall most sets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)